Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Coaaab posted:

i dunno what would be funnier: if they were extra mean or of the "refrigerator is running" variety

From what I remember one of the examples King gave it was stuff like Kubrick calling him in the middle of the night and asking stuff like "Stephen... do you believe in God?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pixellating out the pro-ceasefire pins, but including a neonazi in their in their In Memoriam. Pathetic organization.
Who are we talking about that was a neo Nazi

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Shockingly, Tina Turner

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FlamingLiberal posted:

Alexei Navalny.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Flying Zamboni posted:

From what I remember one of the examples King gave it was stuff like Kubrick calling him in the middle of the night and asking stuff like "Stephen... do you believe in God?"

The best part isn't that he called and asked, it's that after King eventually stammered out that he does believe in some kind of god, Kubrick replied "no, there is no god" and hung up.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Kubrick being The Joker IRL actually makes a lot of sense.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Professor Shark posted:

I also suspect that Kubrick wouldn’t let him cameo in it, as he was doing in all his adapted movies at the time.

King hadn't appeared in any movies when the shining was being produced, didn't appear in anything he wrote until Creepshow, and didn't start doing cameos in adaptations until Maximum Overdrive in 1986.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

King hadn't appeared in any movies when the shining was being produced, didn't appear in anything he wrote until Creepshow, and didn't start doing cameos in adaptations until Maximum Overdrive in 1986.

Correction, he wrote and Directed Maximum Overdrive.

Also Cocaine probably deserves a credit as well.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'd have to look it up again to be sure, but IIRC one of the reasons Kubrick's films were able to get away with so much is because he was so deathly afraid of flying anywhere that he basically marooned himself on Britain for the rest of his life - and since this was pre-internet, the studio execs influence over him after that point basically amounted to a few post-it notes sporadically mailed to his house.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

joylessdivision posted:

Man films were just better when their coke budget took up the majority of their production budget.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

joylessdivision posted:

I just meant the only thing he had appeared in before that wasn't something he had any creative control over, it was a cameo because he was friends with Romero and they were probably starting to work on Creepshow together at that point.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pixellating out the pro-ceasefire pins, but including a neonazi in their in their In Memoriam. Pathetic organization.

Without having watched it I’m going to guess Navalny?

Edit should have gone on to the next page before replaying but nailed it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rochallor posted:

It's been years since I've seen it, but I remember Schwimmer being really convincing as a guy slowly realizing that his best friend is a murderer.

"Juice!" (happy) to "Juice..." (sad)

it's quite a journey.

Genuinly, Schwimmer has a quite compelling but very odd and specific energy. He needs to be used well and if he hadn't blown up in friends he'd probably have found a niche as a strange, disconcerting character actor. Not a million miles away from the roles Patrick Fischler gets.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DeimosRising posted:

Without having watched it I’m going to guess Navalny?

Edit should have gone on to the next page before replaying but nailed it

Why the gently caress was he featured in an Oscars montage anyway?

Is it like Zelenskyy and he's the voice of Paddington in Russia?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Russia has normal good people trying to bring change, they distanced themselves from this guy years ago

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PriorMarcus posted:

Why the gently caress was he featured in an Oscars montage anyway?

Is it like Zelenskyy and he's the voice of Paddington in Russia?

Navalny won best doc at last year's Oscars, so it's a bit of a grey area

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Snowman_McK posted:

it's quite a journey.

Genuinly, Schwimmer has a quite compelling but very odd and specific energy. He needs to be used well and if he hadn't blown up in friends he'd probably have found a niche as a strange, disconcerting character actor. Not a million miles away from the roles Patrick Fischler gets.

Working from a dim memory, but pre-Friends Schwimmer had a reputation as the intense serious lead for a creditable acting group in Chicago. Weird to watch him in Friends, and weird to think what his career might have been otherwise.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

it's quite a journey.

He was perfectly cast in Band of Brothers. Kinda surprised he hasn't had a bigger career post-Friends, but I guess that's a hard shadow to climb out from under.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He’s so loving rich lmao. Working once every five years is the true dream.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

He’s so loving rich lmao. Working once every five years is the true dream.

Yet still, he has to shoplift his beer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Yet still, he has to shoplift his beer.

I had never heard about this and it is genuinely funny lol

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/david-schwimmer-im-glad-my-lookalike-thief-didnt-commit-a-more-serious-crime-11931588

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

lmao awesome

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lmao

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

The best part isn't that he called and asked, it's that after King eventually stammered out that he does believe in some kind of god, Kubrick replied "no, there is no god" and hung up.

Lmao

Also lmao

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I've heard this is quite common. Michael Biehn had an impersonator who would scam women out of money and committed identity theft.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Young Freud posted:

I've heard this is quite common. Michael Biehn had an impersonator who would scam women out of money and committed identity theft.

That isn't what happened here.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1767604586808774977

hell yeah

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If they don't make one liners about getting the bag then what is even the point

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One of the late night phone calls was Kubrick telling King that he thought ghost stories were inherently optimistic because the existence of ghosts meant consciousness continued after death.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

One of the late night phone calls was Kubrick telling King that he thought ghost stories were inherently optimistic because the existence of ghosts meant consciousness continued after death.

Not gonna lie, this is how I know ghosts aren't real and the joke often arrive at is that seeing a ghost wouldn't be frightening, it would be a relief.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not gonna lie, this is how I know ghosts aren't real and the joke often arrive at is that seeing a ghost wouldn't be frightening, it would be a relief.

what if it was a particularly spooky ghost

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hmn, maybe, can the ghost use some made up slang?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well if that gets a ghost then I'm golden

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

If I don’t get to be one of those skeletal ghosts in a shroud that hangs around old houses and cackles non stop I’m going to be so pissed off.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mike Flanagan just perked up

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Going to the Ghost Bureau after I die hoping to get assigned something cool like “Slain soldier eternally fighting the battle of Gettysburg” and instead getting “Poltergeist that occasionally jingles the silverware in a house built in 1984”.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

galagazombie posted:

Going to the Ghost Bureau after I die hoping to get assigned something cool like “Slain soldier eternally fighting the battle of Gettysburg” and instead getting “Poltergeist that occasionally jingles the silverware in a house built in 1984”.
Real bust of a ghost, that one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Scream 7 is currently in development, and Neve Campbell is returning after previously leaving the franchise due to a pay dispute

https://www.ign.com/articles/neve-campbell-will-play-sidney-prescott-again-in-scream-7

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
unless they re-hire Melissa Barrera and publicly apologize to her for the lie they told when they fired her then big naw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dear god, imagine being haunted be Kubrick. Just utterly exhausting.