Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i dunno if it's cause i'm "too old" to understand it but i've never understood the appeal of "wearables". that is, wearable tech/electronics. seems in the same family of novelties as IoT type stuff. although, i already have a predisposition to preferring analog and mechanical, even though i'm not that old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Are wearables still a thing at all? I thought the hype cycle on them went away with 3D TVs and other dead-in-the-water attempts at forcing fads.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HUD for phone like functions is gonna be the game changers. Not sure how you get there yet - glasses? Contacts? Holograms? Brainchip?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I would rather dip my balls in boiling oil than have a loving phone HUD.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
You guys are going to love what the Brazilian zoomers are coming up with no cap

https://youtu.be/nb6qsGxgAVk?si=0TYHUEkb5TkJ_TP_

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Gwely Mernans posted:

You guys are going to love what the Brazilian zoomers are coming up with no cap

https://youtu.be/nb6qsGxgAVk?si=0TYHUEkb5TkJ_TP_

That must be a joke or an April Fools thing or something. That is objectively awful.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Aramis posted:

Are wearables still a thing at all? I thought the hype cycle on them went away with 3D TVs and other dead-in-the-water attempts at forcing fads.

I think some older millennials are still into them but everyone else seems to have lost interest

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Aramis posted:

Are wearables still a thing at all?
Do you consider Apple Watches wearables?

Because there are a bajillion people wearing those.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i think theres probably more medical benefit to certain wearables than anything at this point

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

HUD for phone like functions is gonna be the game changers. Not sure how you get there yet - glasses? Contacts? Holograms? Brainchip?

Shared display surfaces that can be momentarily taken over by anyone glancing in that direction.
A variation on the lenticular 3DS displays that works for 1, maybe 2 at most users at any one time and through some kind of light twisting LCD trick can direct light from individual pixel columns in selective directions. Everybody outside of that narrow line of sight just sees a blank screen.

Johnny Lee demo'ed 17 years ago a very convincing pseudo3D VR display done with a wiimote tracking the "sensor bar" IR LEDs as a proxy for your perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

I think this idea could re-surface. As with Lee's setup, the tracking could be done with sensors mainly on the display where there'd be room to fit good quality optics for face tracking and determining exactly what your identity and POV is. The hardware is cheap and so it will be used for super annoying and privacy invasive ads in public spaces where 3D illusions directed at you personally will show AI bullshit ads based on what the data brokers know about you, which is everything.

But at home and in controlled environments you could have the same tech create neat popup displays for notifications without you wearing any hardware at all.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 12, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

numbers say the wearable market just keeps getting bigger and is likely to keep trending that way. goons ain’t got no insight whatsoever into the lives of normal and popular people

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wearables till they are internables and god help us all then. Though it's already happening, so...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TrashMammal posted:

numbers say the wearable market just keeps getting bigger and is likely to keep trending that way. goons ain’t got no insight whatsoever into the lives of normal and popular people

lol p much this

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Wearables till they are internables and god help us all then. Though it's already happening, so...

cant wait for the ads that push the internables as enhancing you cybernetically into an android or w/e and then theyre actually like modern cars like a tesla that have constant bugs and just refuse to allow certain functions to work lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

TrashMammal posted:

been hearing big things about the Apple Vision Pro

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's just going to be used to serve you targeted advertising every waking minute.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine letting some company put a piece of technology inside you...

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

big money on the chess circuit, i hear

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

TrashMammal posted:

I'm just too old

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I was wearing a regular watch most days until a couple weeks ago when I realized I don't need to know what time it is anymore really

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

I was wearing a regular watch most days until a couple weeks ago when I realized I don't need to know what time it is anymore really

thinking to lose all grasp of time entirely

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

been hearing big things about the Apple Vision Pro

i rest my case, op

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thinking to lose all grasp of time entirely

Time and space are inseparable, so...

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

"goo goo ga gah"

Sorry kid, I don't speak baby.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
When wearables act like edibles, I'll be interested. Until then, not so much.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Well at least you got there eventually. I came to this realization like 15 years ago.

Anyway the wearables I see are these fitbit watch things the boomer ladies at work all love. All about counting those steps you see, which is a trend I thought would die a couple years ago but it's apparently still going strong with this demographic.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AcidCat posted:

Well at least you got there eventually. I came to this realization like 15 years ago.

Anyway the wearables I see are these fitbit watch things the boomer ladies at work all love. All about counting those steps you see, which is a trend I thought would die a couple years ago but it's apparently still going strong with this demographic.

counting your steps is good. it's the easiest way to raise your non-exercise activity thermogenesis, which is a not-insignificant component of your total daily energy expenditure. if you're trying to lose fat, getting 10k steps and curbing your energy intake makes a big difference

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Oh god you're one of .... them!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AcidCat posted:

Oh god you're one of .... them!

:twisted:

join us!!!!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i dont track my steps tho cause i already get hella activity

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

I still wear mine. I teach, and am constantly needing to know when class ends and the next begins. I also have a lot of clocks in my classroom. They drive my students nuts because they are all analog, and very few of the kids can read them. By the end of the year, most of them have figured it out. Besides, Mrs. Genesplicer got me a new watch every anniversary for the first ten years of our marriage, So I have a lot to choose from. Then she got me an Omega Speedmaster Professional (The watch NASA issues to its astronauts) and told me that that one would last the rest of my life. I wear it most often.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

lol at kids not knowing how analog clocks work

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
why is a platinum rolex just like twitter and facebook?

they're all stupid bullshit i don't want in my life

Worf posted:

show 'em a 24 hour clock and melt their little brains

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

"goo goo ga gah"

Sorry kid, I don't speak baby.

that kid's a literal dumbass lmao

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I know its extremely popular but I just cant really understand "Wubbin'"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyk1qezYKXk

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

big nipples big life posted:

I would rather dip my balls in boiling oil than have a loving phone HUD.

Apps for navigation or live translation could probably be really great if done correctly. I don't particularly need floating screens though.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Apps for navigation or live translation could probably be really great if done correctly. I don't particularly need floating screens though.

You mean like a Garmin?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Aramis posted:

Are wearables still a thing at all?

Looking down at my pants and shirt I would have to say yes.

For now... :unsmigghh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Whenever I text my grandma we discuss the weather, she spams emojis, and tells me how many steps she just did. I used to have a cheap step tracker I got for free, just needed a new battery. I don't know how much a Fitbit costs but the most I wanna pay for a step tracker is like... 15 dollars? That's probably too little for a firbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Worf posted:

It literally points at the numbers, sometimes with red arrows, just like video thumbnails on their iPad.