Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Eiba posted:

After looking at the teaser a bit longer I have to say- I like the two coats look. A duster over a lab coat, neither of them buttoned, with a cape on top of all that. I've got to say I'm kind of impressed that even with all that clothing the artist managed to give the character cleavage.

Personally, when I work with potentially dangerous solvents and corrosive chemicals I go fully topless,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doltos posted:

Royalty was his first DLC and is easily replaced with RimMagic, and RimMagic is way more fun. Ideology should have been in the base game. Biotech is good and is done better than a lot of similar mods.

RimMagic replaces like 10% of what's in Royalty

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Personally, when I work with potentially dangerous solvents and corrosive chemicals I go fully topless,

Same, it really adds removes hair from your chest

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eiba posted:

My only trepidation with an expedition based DLC is that we already do have some expeditions and they always feel like a lot more trouble than they're worth. Getting a caravan together and managing combat on another tile is never going to be as fun as making your own base and dealing with outside challenges.

True, right now it's a pain and rarely worth it, but making it worth it won't make it not a pain. And it's not even that the interface is difficult or anything, it's just conceptually a lot of work for a player who wants to just manage their own base.

I contend that the interface is absolutely terrible and it makes it incredibly awkward to assemble/maintain caravans to the point where incredibly basic things like "set up camp on a temporary map tile rather than set up an entire extra loving base that you're going to abandon(which is itself an option that needs to be toggled on)" are mod-only features.

Why don't we have things like saveable caravan loadout templates so I can form a caravan in like two clicks? Why does the caravan loading AI frequently break because one of the participants decides to take a nap or eat lunch? Why is there no way to speed up caravan travel besides adding an infinitely increasing pile of horses(which in turn increases the caravan's logistical demands) in my colony that can manufacture spaceship parts? Why is there no unmodded way to tell a caravan that is two feet from the base to not stop for an entire night of rest when another hour of travel would have them home?

Making it worth it is also a big deal. Right now there's no real reason to go through the extra mental effort to deal with it, because the rewards for everything other than basic trading with other towns are so low as to be nonexistent. Oh, cool, I can go to an ancient complex and fight 30 mechanoids in tight spaces and deal with the extreme tedium of having every single room light itself on fire when I open the door in return for like five pieces of luciferium and a techprint if I'm lucky? Who cares?

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Agreed, the interface for caravans and the whole caravan assembly mechanism is extremely bad, probably the single worst-feeling part of the game for me.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A world map focused expansion also doesn't have to only be focused on caravanning and expeditions, it could also focus on the incredibly barebones diplomatic systems in the game to majorly affect how things work at your main base. Stuff that is now mod-only and kind of bolted on like Hospitality or the hospital mod could be made baseline. You could introduce stuff like an actually balanced form of VFE's hireable mercenaries to help defend your base if you make friends with certain factions. You could introduce the idea of other factions actually interacting with each other so you could have things like trade alliances or defensive pacts that are more involved than "I shoot 5000 corn at you periodically". Hell, you could also strike at the heart of the game's current flawed raid system and make it so factions have a limited supply of men and resources to attack you with and allow you to affect that via offensive strikes.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, does any one know of a mod that gives you a warning for an upcoming raid? Just so you have a couple minutes to get your people in armour and in position?

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Pulsarcat posted:

Hey, does any one know of a mod that gives you a warning for an upcoming raid? Just so you have a couple minutes to get your people in armour and in position?

Preemptive Strike

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I think the thing that stops me caravanning is that I don't want to leave my base poorly-defended.
So, turrets that aren't crap, or colonists that are better at defending your base than defending your caravans, or being given information on when the next raid will be, so you can send your fighters when they're not needed at home.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
For contrast, I absolutely love caravaning, to the point where I feel like I'm playing only half of the game when I settle in a location where caravaning is not practical, like tropical forest or swamps and usually avoid settling in such biomes.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

For contrast, I absolutely love caravaning, to the point where I feel like I'm playing only half of the game when I settle in a location where caravaning is not practical, like tropical forest or swamps and usually avoid settling in such biomes.

Same here. I've got the Roads of the Rim mod and do that as a mid to late game effort. It then helps to mitigate the effects of either winter or bad terrain.

To that end, I don't play on as hard of a difficulty as I can. I do modify the difficulty, starting off at Strive to Survive in the custom options then putting my threat scale to 40% and turn off adaptation impact. I also turn off mechanoids as a faction and use the Self Preservation mod.

I have 2-4 colonists who compose my primary caravanning group; back at base, 8 or so ranged, 3 melee. This game, my defense has been bolstered by successfully getting a breeding pair of raptor shrimp from alpha animals. It sucks a bit when one dies, but even if they get downed with heavy injuries usually by the time the battle is done they're getting back up and limping back to base, fully healed in a few more hours.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tesla was right posted:

I think the thing that stops me caravanning is that I don't want to leave my base poorly-defended.
So, turrets that aren't crap, or colonists that are better at defending your base than defending your caravans, or being given information on when the next raid will be, so you can send your fighters when they're not needed at home.

Mechanitors are a godsend for this.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Well I have bad news...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kanos posted:

I contend that the interface is absolutely terrible and it makes it incredibly awkward to assemble/maintain caravans to the point where incredibly basic things like "set up camp on a temporary map tile rather than set up an entire extra loving base that you're going to abandon(which is itself an option that needs to be toggled on)" are mod-only features.

Why don't we have things like saveable caravan loadout templates so I can form a caravan in like two clicks? Why does the caravan loading AI frequently break because one of the participants decides to take a nap or eat lunch? Why is there no way to speed up caravan travel besides adding an infinitely increasing pile of horses(which in turn increases the caravan's logistical demands) in my colony that can manufacture spaceship parts? Why is there no unmodded way to tell a caravan that is two feet from the base to not stop for an entire night of rest when another hour of travel would have them home?

Making it worth it is also a big deal. Right now there's no real reason to go through the extra mental effort to deal with it, because the rewards for everything other than basic trading with other towns are so low as to be nonexistent. Oh, cool, I can go to an ancient complex and fight 30 mechanoids in tight spaces and deal with the extreme tedium of having every single room light itself on fire when I open the door in return for like five pieces of luciferium and a techprint if I'm lucky? Who cares?
Or my favorite petty "why does this need a mod to fix" annoyance, caravans defaulting to loading a bunch of garbage you don't want in them as supplies. Y'all are going a half day away to trade, you don't need 3 days of food, a bedroll, and 2 medicines. It can't even get what should be a labor-saving feature right.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Awesome! Thank you very much!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DoubleNegative posted:

Well I have bad news...

Plainly a misdirect, the entire DLC is going to be about cheese and running a dairy

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DoubleNegative posted:

Well I have bad news...

uninstalled

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What are the rules if Ty wanted to add certain popular mods to the base game, or even something very derivative of a popular mod? Is there some kind of procedure for that?

As we all know, game modders are known for being completely reasonable people who are easy to work with and will not go absolutely off the handle and try to sic their followers on someone for any kind of perceived slight, so I'm sure he's very eager to work with them.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I hope this one adds new music. I missed that in Ideology and Biotech.

Yes I already know about that one music mod.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

What are the rules if Ty wanted to add certain popular mods to the base game, or even something very derivative of a popular mod? Is there some kind of procedure for that?

As we all know, game modders are known for being completely reasonable people who are easy to work with and will not go absolutely off the handle and try to sic their followers on someone for any kind of perceived slight, so I'm sure he's very eager to work with them.
Honestly don't think this is an issue. There were many popular mods that added genes and kids and other Biotech mainstays, and I don't remember them making any kind of fuss about those additions. If there was going to be drama there would have been some by now, it's been three expansions and imo the only complaint is that we aren't getting enough changes or some other UI/concept stuff needs addressing

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

worm girl posted:

I hope this one adds new music. I missed that in Ideology and Biotech.

Yes I already know about that one music mod.

what music mod.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

QuarkJets posted:

RimMagic replaces like 10% of what's in Royalty

Royalty's psycasting is a tenth of RimMagic and setting up a throne room doesn't negate that.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also Rimworld of Magic runs like poo poo, has a bunch of annoying raid types, and doesn't even make a vague attempt at game balance. To be fair the run like poo poo part is due to JecsTools being an old and obsolete library that pretty much only still exists due to RoM, but the point stands.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Asimo posted:

Also Rimworld of Magic runs like poo poo, has a bunch of annoying raid types, and doesn't even make a vague attempt at game balance. To be fair the run like poo poo part is due to JecsTools being an old and obsolete library that pretty much only still exists due to RoM, but the point stands.

yeah it adds a lot of "content" but most of that isn't actually good, and the stuff that is good tends to be bullshit-overpowered

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tankbuster posted:

what music mod.

P-music, it’s really good and fits the original soundtrack well. Great if you’re tired of the OST but want something thematically similar.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

what music mod.

P-Music

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I sometimes think I have P-Music disabled because it fits so well with the Rimworld OST. Then I check it, and it turns out that like half of my favorite tracks are from that mod. P-Music rules, absolutely worth installing even if you’re a diehard modless player.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Asimo posted:

I mean if we're talking game balance with mods you have to ax half the workshop. All VE poo poo is busted as hell.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Christ Jecstools was being used back when I was still playing the sendowl version of the game, that poo poo is ancient

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I hated how RWoM has extremely specific builds for every class. It's like playing D&D except the DM planned every level up for you, there's not even an illusion of choice.

VPE leaned too hard in the other direction and let you learn literally every ability with enough levels/psytrainers which lags the UI to all hell, but I found it more entertaining as a result. Meditating to gain exp was probably a mistake though, it's a little too free and makes gameplay too passive when your entire colony is grinding levels.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I swear to god I'm equipping all my soldiers with firefoam packs the pigs keep bringing molotovs and the imps...are imps

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Just give me wall lights as a built in feature.
And maybe increased stack sizes.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mzbundifund posted:

P-music, it’s really good and fits the original soundtrack well. Great if you’re tired of the OST but want something thematically similar.

thank you!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Ms Adequate posted:

This is the first one he's dropped that hasn't been immediately after I've stopped a massive Rimworld kick and moved on to another game.

Also, cheese.

I mean, I love the game and any excuse to play more is welcome. Esp with new content. It's just I've spent another 150 hours playing it recently was going to have a break... But I suppose I still get a shortish break.

I can't imagine he's going to drop this for another couple of weeks at least so I'll have a good run through or so in Stellaris while I relearn that, then come back and enjoy this!

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

I tend to take a break from the game immediately after a DLC is released and I wait for the x.1 patch that ends up smoothing out all the rough edges and adding a bunch of QOL. iirc every major DLC so far has had a big followup patch about 3-6 months later.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/1767931987312959538

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn: :supaburn:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

change thread title to correctly say RimWorld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!