Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If they're gonna stick with this heavy adjustment they are gonna need to do something about the breaches to make them more threatening, maybe just a short puff at the start and then it disappears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

it regularly takes me 3 shots at a medium distance to kill regular raiders with the slugger. what am I missing that make people say it’s good against bots? im back to the basic liberator against them.

This sounds like you’re confusing another shotgun with the slugger. The slugger has no range falloff and the only times I haven’t gotten a one shot is when I hit a jet pack guy from behind, the pack absorbs the shot and they survive the explosion.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

it regularly takes me 3 shots at a medium distance to kill regular raiders with the slugger. what am I missing that make people say it’s good against bots? im back to the basic liberator against them.

id recommend not missing 2/3 of your shots

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1767627610912157728?t=bLsDDmb6_pLxza6jEvFiHw&s=19

someone needs to report to the ministry of truth for their freedom injection

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Oh God, I’m getting flashbacks to EDF and Researcher O’Hara, the dumbest man alive who may not have even been a doctor.

“EVERYone knows GI-ant IN-sects can’t fly…! So the Wingdivers will destroy them effortlessly!”

Spoiler: the wingdivers were incapacitated immediately

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is ther esome loving way to DROP the loving stratagem. Not throw.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Quicksilver6 posted:

Oh God, I’m getting flashbacks to EDF and Researcher O’Hara, the dumbest man alive who may not have even been a doctor.

“EVERYone knows GI-ant IN-sects can’t fly…! So the Wingdivers will destroy them effortlessly!”

Spoiler: the wingdivers were incapacitated immediately

Bugs evolve into dragons confirmed !?!?!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ihmemies posted:

Well, you could die with it in your hands

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Get knocked into the ragdoll state. Look directly down and throw it at your feet (will still bounce from certain surfaces).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
One shotting chargers finally makes the RR feel worth taking.

Now the Spear really needs to one shot hulks.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
new tcs missions are fun once you figure them out a little

and yea the RR feels very good on bug maps now

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Molrok posted:

Get knocked into the ragdoll state. Look directly down and throw it at your feet (will still bounce from certain surfaces).

My hellbomb stratagems bounce from loving mt everest to the bottom althgouh I want the bomb drop next to me

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

My hellbomb stratagems bounce from loving mt everest to the bottom althgouh I want the bomb drop next to me

A lot of higher up surfaces don't let you call down on them. (I think it's to keep it fair so the bugs/bots can reach turrets, etc)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

boz posted:

A lot of higher up surfaces don't let you call down on them. (I think it's to keep it fair so the bugs/bots can reach turrets, etc)

Apparently this time the hellbomb worked from the bottom of the montain. I just had to dive with the stratagem off the mountain.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Section Z posted:

Bugs evolve into dragons confirmed !?!?!

“HOW is this POS ible? What is this…? WHAT… IS THIS?!” - the highly trained Ravager/Terminid researcher O’Hara, whom you are relying on to inform you of enemy developments.

Honestly he was less informative as the average Brasch Tactics video.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Sindai posted:

One shotting chargers finally makes the RR feel worth taking.

Now the Spear really needs to one shot hulks.

I find as long as I arc it to their back it does. If they fix the targeting it should be strong enough as it stands.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Quicksilver6 posted:

“HOW is this POS ible? What is this…? WHAT… IS THIS?!” - the highly trained Ravager/Terminid researcher O’Hara, whom you are relying on to inform you of enemy developments.

I mean, at least he is also willing to die to show you where a real weakspot vulnerable both to small arms fire and rocket launchers is.

Brasch will tell you that rocks provide cover, in a game where spitters can no-clip that poo poo through a mountain top after you survive a charger and teammate flamethrower :argh: (Be sure to reassure your team it wasn't their fault)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

I mean, at least he is also willing to die to show you where a real weakspot vulnerable both to small arms fire and rocket launchers is.

Brasch will tell you that rocks provide cover, in a game where spitters can no-clip that poo poo through a mountain top after you survive a charger and teammate flamethrower :argh: (Be sure to reassure your team it wasn't their fault)

Citizen Rock hasn't failed me yet vs bots or bugs. Citizen Blind Corner is actually my best friend when using a flamethrower.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

flashman posted:

I find as long as I arc it to their back it does. If they fix the targeting it should be strong enough as it stands.
How do you arc it to their back?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Your relative position to the hulk and their orientation when you fire. Same way you one shot chargers and titans with it

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

Citizen Rock hasn't failed me yet vs bots or bugs. Citizen Blind Corner is actually my best friend when using a flamethrower.
I am evolving my tactics to take advantage of shameless cheating chargers. They are real good at teleporting their way up onto ledges. They are not as good getting back down, giving my random teams an effort free BBQ while I get back to my life purpose of destroying spitters.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Sindai posted:

How do you arc it to their back?

Just curve the rail dude.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Grimnarsson posted:

Live, Laugh, Liberate!

new thread title

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

GlyphGryph posted:

Some eagle strats are a line away from you, and some are side to side, I forget which is which. I do wonder where that is draw relative to, though. Your position at some point during the call in so it matters if you move? Your position when throwing/releasing? The angle it hits the ground from, meaning bounces might change it?

I’ve never not had it be based on the direction I’m facing as I throw it. It never matters if it bounces around, it always uses the initial direction I was facing as I hucked it to determine which direction they fly in from.

Also another useful note about offensive stratagems and enemy aggro that not a lot of people seem to know. When you throw an offensive stratagem, it DM’s every enemy in a mile your home address. Even if they don’t have line of sight on you. And when fresh packs spawn in and see other enemies in pursuit of something, they always join.

This might explain some of the complaints I see a lot. People might not understand they’re not just breaking stealth, but setting off a car alarm by hucking tha red beam.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

trizzNPH posted:

Bile titans can be 1 hit in the mouth by high explosives. Do it all the time w/ the mech and I only ever play with 3 of my other PC playing friends. Need a direct hit on the mouth though, the crown of its head is not a weak point
Where exactly on the mouth are you hitting it? Because this always takes me 2 missiles: (though it is reliable and still a very quick kill)
https://i.imgur.com/ciE6d7z.mp4

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Not a wrong first reaction considering the RR's demo video in the stratagem store features a helldiver one-shotting a charger head-on. If the intent was only to be cinematic it was pretty misleading.

If memory serves the video shows the second RR shot killing the charger, not the first.

A lot of the videos are that way if you pay close attention. The Eagle 110 video seemingly leaves the largest target alive.

The Eagle 500kg video shows it being thrown into a large crater with like 4 bug holes, but if you pay close attention to the last few frames while the smoke clears all the bug holes are still open and glowing.

The Laser Cannon video shows it killing robots then shooting at a handful of bugs and killing none of them despite blasting away for several seconds while they advance.

A number of those videos look good on the surface until you pay attention.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 12, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quicksilver6 posted:

To save our Super Earth from any alien threat,

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Late response, but just in case you misunderstood something I grabbed a little slugger footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lIIOrUPBjY

Also at 0:46, I got a couple examples of something I've been noticing recently: the slugger doesn't just kill normal bots, it penetrates right through them.
I've seen it mostly when shooting strider pilots from behind and then getting the "shot bounced" icon as the shot bounces off the strider after killing the pilot, but there it happens with a fabricator... and then after that, a clip where I penetrate through a bot and TK the guy the bot was running towards :devil:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cheap Shot posted:

I’ve never not had it be based on the direction I’m facing as I throw it. It never matters if it bounces around, it always uses the initial direction I was facing as I hucked it to determine which direction they fly in from.

Also another useful note about offensive stratagems and enemy aggro that not a lot of people seem to know. When you throw an offensive stratagem, it DM’s every enemy in a mile your home address. Even if they don’t have line of sight on you. And when fresh packs spawn in and see other enemies in pursuit of something, they always join.

This might explain some of the complaints I see a lot. People might not understand they’re not just breaking stealth, but setting off a car alarm by hucking tha red beam.

Once you understand this though, it's a great tool. Same principle as distracting the guards in a stealth action game. UAV + Recon Armor to know where they're coming from, slip the drag net, and get a nice leisurely clear of an objective point.

Where I'm less certain is if this affects the blue-beam call ins as well.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
https://i.imgur.com/yWOmnWD.mp4
Clever girl

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've moved on from thinking invisible bugs with long tongues as bullshit right into robots with jetpacks that just blow up in your face as bullshit

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I've moved on from thinking invisible bugs with long tongues as bullshit right into robots with jetpacks that just blow up in your face as bullshit

I treat them like clays and snap my shotgun up to blast them from the sky. :laugh:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

that silo mission is boring and geometry is full of issues, hope its over soon and I can go back to regular bug smashing

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

The arc will try to seek the center of the target you're pointing at, and if there is anything in the way like a small box or rock or something then the arc won't connect and will just spark like that.

You can still aim at weak points and it will do weak point damage, but it's not as reliable as a straight fire weapon.

It seems like only the first shot is slow, every subsequent shot that is taken charges quickly, which is very nice with its bottomless magazine.

The Arc thrower will do a flat amount of damage to the first target and then has a "bank" of damage that it will use to leap to additional targets, dealing damage up to the amount it takes to kill them, and arcing the overflow to another target until the bank is exhausted. Hitting tiny things like roaches means you can Arc up to five targets like this. The weapon is always capable of bouncing to at least one extra target past whatever you aimed at.

One strong benefit is that as the arc travels through several targets like automatons it will cause the entire group to either stagger or take suppression, causing their accuracy to dip. The weapon seems to deal damage regardless of armor, though killing a hulk or charger will take a long time and many hits.

Some testing: bounced arcs (ie: arcing from #1 to #2) don't seem to reach further than the distance from you to the first target, and will bounce up to 90° left or right. This can cause the arc to go around corners but if any particular jump is interrupted by a line of sight blocker then the attack will stop there.

However if you are quite far from your primary target the arc can on occasion go very, very far to the second. Lastly, the weapon can graphically appear to fire at extremely distant targets even though the connection isn't actually made and no damage is done.

Thanks for this electrifying effort post on the Arc Thrower :byoscience:

Do you know if Arc shots on Hulks cause any stagger or suppression? If I'm not mistaken they're the class of big Bot that don't suffer from those effects, right? I run Suicides and it doesn't seem to do much to them and I wondered if this is due to missing weak point shots.

Also, I've noticed shots seem to be more on target to specific weak points when aimed down the sights, is this the actual case?

And I find it hard to predict or prevent arcs from bouncing towards teammates. But now knowing bounces can happen at 90 degree angels I guess it's simply a matter of avoiding using the Thrower when a teammate is ahead of me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Hulks can definitely get staggered by railgun shots. Probably other stuff as well.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Yeah these assholes suck. The big trick I realised is to shoot them in the legs. They're pretty weak and it will still take them out without the big explosion.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I remember someone being surprised earlier that they could be killed while sitting in the extract shuttle waiting for their teammates - well you can be killed even later than that:

https://i.imgur.com/5NZTDBr.mp4

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

It's not a shotgun, it fires slugs. I failed to read the description and didn't understand that at first, thought it was an absolute trash weapon so yeah your shots in first person have to be exactly lined up with the dot to do any damage.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ErKeL posted:

Yeah these assholes suck. The big trick I realised is to shoot them in the legs. They're pretty weak and it will still take them out without the big explosion.

They crawl silently and blow up my shins anyway. Feels bad man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

AndyElusive posted:

Thanks for this electrifying effort post on the Arc Thrower :byoscience:

Do you know if Arc shots on Hulks cause any stagger or suppression? If I'm not mistaken they're the class of big Bot that don't suffer from those effects, right? I run Suicides and it doesn't seem to do much to them and I wondered if this is due to missing weak point shots.

Also, I've noticed shots seem to be more on target to specific weak points when aimed down the sights, is this the actual case?

And I find it hard to predict or prevent arcs from bouncing towards teammates. But now knowing bounces can happen at 90 degree angels I guess it's simply a matter of avoiding using the Thrower when a teammate is ahead of me.

on bugs at least it doesnt stagger. It also absolutely prioritizes your teammembers over bugs for secondary jumps so avoid them beeing in the vicinity

also re: sparkling, it appears to me if its not fully charged but like 80, 90% rectangle moving to the center it goes off much more reliable.