Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
I want to say that with the Arc Thrower keeping the dynamic aiming circle over your target also helps, but don't quote me on that.

Play posted:

It's not a shotgun, it fires slugs. I failed to read the description and didn't understand that at first, thought it was an absolute trash weapon so yeah your shots in first person have to be exactly lined up with the dot to do any damage.
My experience with slug shotguns in Battlefield Bad Company 2 has finally paid off :smuggo:

But yeah a shotgun slug is basically just a big hunk of metal as opposed to the little metal balls in a typical shotgun shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Warmachine posted:

Where I'm less certain is if this affects the blue-beam call ins as well.

No, or at least nowhere near to the same extent. Blue beams just make a bit of noise. Red beams text every enemy a selfie of you.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

https://i.imgur.com/UW2DYGN.mp4

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Cheap Shot posted:

Red beams text every enemy a selfie of you.

HOT HELLDIVERS IN YOUR AREA NOW

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Booyah

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think I hate mortar sentries more than anything else.

I'm really new, about level 10 and think the grenade launcher makes a great all-purpsoe support weapon while also bringing the EAT for emergencies. Otherwise I've got the laser robot thing and the plane airstrike. Any other decent weapons I should look into?

E: more than happy to ditch the grenade launcher for something else, I really like EATs

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 12, 2024

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Ravenfood posted:

I'm really new, about level 10 and think the grenade launcher makes a great all-purpsoe support weapon while also bringing the EAT for emergencies. Otherwise I've got the laser robot thing and the plane airstrike. Any other decent weapons I should look into?

Mortar sentries are a kill yourself and your squad instantly button. It does exactly what it's meant to - target bugs. It doesn't care if those bugs are swarming you

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ravenfood posted:

I don't remember the levels you get everything at, but the autocannon is also a really well-rounded support weapon. The shield generator backpack is still an excellent call-in that gives you more breathing room against both factions. Orbital railcannon is excellent for instantly deleting chargers and hulks while dealing hefty damage to bile titans. Orbital lasers can also wear down heavies as well as sweep up outposts or swarms.

Those are the ones that jump to my mind as really solid picks in any loadout.

And mortar turrets are great as long as you use them defensively and preferably against the bots. If you try to use them against bugs or try to assault into a position being mortared, you are inevitably going to get a shell delivered directly into your rear end in a top hat.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

Ravenfood posted:

look mortars have this handy sky trail showing where they're gonna go and it's always towards a bug so don't stand near bugs! easy!

that said mortars get a lot better (like clear levels for you better) when you can drop an EMS field on said bugs, the EMS mortar + regular mortar is a stupid good strategy for defend the area encounters, especially if the group as a whole brings them.

EDIT:

1stGear posted:

And mortar turrets are great as long as you use them defensively and preferably against the bots. If you try to use them against bugs or try to assault into a position being mortared, you are inevitably going to get a shell delivered directly into your rear end in a top hat.

this. offensive mortaring a bug nest or a robot factory is definitely going to rack up friendly kills, and the turrets always take charger aggro and get blown up super easy even with upgrades. this is pretty true of a lot of turrets but it's especially true of mortars.

theysayheygreg fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 12, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you stick an airstrike, orbital strike etc on a charger will it track the bug while it moves or will it only target the area where you first stuck the calldown?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Arc Hammer posted:

If you stick an airstrike, orbital strike etc on a charger will it track the bug while it moves or will it only target the area where you first stuck the calldown?

It'll stick to the charger or whatever is moving. But it'll always go for a bile titan/charger/whatever is biggest first, which can actually be really annoying and it spends most of it's time tracking it instead of mopping up the ugly little bugs

:edit: Thought you said orbital laser

It'll track the calldown as it moves as long as it's stuck

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
EMS mortars own and solve most of the team killing issues with normal sentries. I think they can technically still team kill when the mortar explodes but it’s a way smaller area compared to the normal one, and the slow is insanely useful.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cheap Shot posted:

No, or at least nowhere near to the same extent. Blue beams just make a bit of noise. Red beams text every enemy a selfie of you.

According to the devs, everything you call in attracts patrols to you, though they don't entirely seem to know how their game works so I wouldn't trust that 100%.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In the first game it was super obvious that calling stratagems like support weapons attracted patrols, but in this game I’ve never seen enemies react to stratagems other than when I throw an airstrike pokeball right on top of them

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Mortar sentries are absolute killing machines. Drop one down and you can almost guarantee 50-75% of combat effectiveness will be gone.

And as a bonus sometimes it kills a few bugs while it does this.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Running the +radar ship upgrade and the +radar hexagon-whatever equipment buff and light armor with the scout trait (map pings function as radar origination points), I have seen patrols spawn offscreen/out of sight range and beeline toward a red beam stratagem before. I've also seen existing patrols do greater-than-90-degree pivots toward red beam calldowns even when they're beyond what should be reasonable aggro range.

It feels like patrols have a much higher detection range and prioritization/aggro on calldowns than stationary/POI enemies do. POI enemies will pretty much just sit there unless you drop something directly in their LOS or close by.

Tom Tucker posted:

Mortar sentries are absolute killing machines. Drop one down and you can almost guarantee 50-75% of combat effectiveness will be gone.
We have normal and EMS mortars, but where are the napalm mortars!?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Where are the remote mining mortars???

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Played a few of the TCS defense missions, it seems friendly fire on the towers is the BIGGEST reason your status will get reset. When we swapped to full minefield loadout on the chokes and stopped bringing laser drone or MG turrets which routinely swept the tower you could pretty much engage the bugs normally and even their little attack damage wouldn't do too much to the tower.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

sushibandit posted:

they got napalm landmines, you could be that person

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

LazyMaybe posted:

Late response, but just in case you misunderstood something I grabbed a little slugger footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lIIOrUPBjY

Also at 0:46, I got a couple examples of something I've been noticing recently: the slugger doesn't just kill normal bots, it penetrates right through them.
I've seen it mostly when shooting strider pilots from behind and then getting the "shot bounced" icon as the shot bounces off the strider after killing the pilot, but there it happens with a fabricator... and then after that, a clip where I penetrate through a bot and TK the guy the bot was running towards :devil:

ah my issue was never going into first person mode to aim ever

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

ah my issue was never going into first person mode to aim ever

imo u have done nothing wrong in this regard

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So do AC rounds to the face or forelegs do anything at all to chargers? They’re still this weird enigma to me that I’m trying to figure out beyond not just “headshot with EAT”.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Angel's Venture was my first planet and over the weekend it was sitting at about 50% liberated. When I logged in last night it was suddenly unavailable for missions and marked as 100% liberated. I feel like the meter telling you how much you contributed to the liberation is probably just a joke by the devs to emphasize how many dead Helldivers it takes to secure a fraction of an inch on a given planet.

And then the map rotation hits and Super Earth declares a planet "liberated". Seems like a funny way to tie in gameplay rotations to the setting.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 12, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

So Angel's Venture was my first planet and over the weekend it was sitting at about 50% liberated. When I logged in last night it was suddenly unavailable for missions and marked as 100% liberated. I feel like the meter telling you how much you contributed to the liberation is probably just a joke by the devs to emphasize how many dead Helldivers it takes to secure a fraction of an inch on a given planet.

And then the map rotation hits and Super Earth declares a planet "liberated".

The Ministry of Truth would have you bring up fewer points such as these.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

sushibandit posted:

:hmmyes:

let me huck fire at unpredictable directions and ranges for fun and liberty

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Bussamove posted:

So do AC rounds to the face or forelegs do anything at all to chargers? They’re still this weird enigma to me that I’m trying to figure out beyond not just “headshot with EAT”.
No, unless you get the animation bug that lets anything pen their legs. Haven't checked yet to see if that works the same this patch. But under normal circumstances AC simply cannot penetrate charger armor.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Arc Hammer posted:

And then the map rotation hits and Super Earth declares a planet "liberated". Seems like a funny way to tie in gameplay rotations to the setting.

I'm pretty sure the devs were specifically messing with the numbers on Angel's Venture and the barrier planets this last week so they could set up for this new Major Order. The numbers on all of them were barely budging despite tens of thousands of players on each.

Meanwhile, I'm not certain if they've deliberately cranked the amount needed on Malevelon Creek as high as it can go or if the community has just given up on ever liberating that planet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Laser drone is my best friend and also it seems that my best friend is very curious about what is inside of my skull. Gun drone isn't as curious.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gun drone however is extremely narcoleptic and must rest basically all the time

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So sleepy

Until duty calls and it fires 10 rounds at a tank, then back 2 nap

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

sushibandit posted:

Screw that, what this game needs is some RotT drunk missiles.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

sushibandit posted:

Forget napalm mortars, give me a napalm drone instead :getin:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

A sentry with two flamethrowers that just spins in circles

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Aipsh posted:

It'll track the calldown as it moves as long as it's stuck

this isnt true for air strikes at least. with the extra call down time modifier ive had a strike stick to a jumping bug, had it jump right beside me with the orb on it still and the strike hit back where it first sent the beam up. the blue item call ins do seem to track where the beacon is though

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

A sentry with two flamethrowers that just spins in circles

Furioso Dreadnaught when?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Flamethrower drone and/or flamethrower turret is also acceptable. What I'm trying to say is that there's a criminal freedom-hating lack of ways to apply the cleansing flames of democracy to anything and everything around us, and that's just no good.

Third World Reagan posted:

You are getting a drone that has a loud speaker on it, that is it

It will just let you know how great super earth is
I would gladly burn a backpack slot on a boombox that just blasts the SEA on repeat, like the drone on flag-raising missions. Especially if it had an xbox-huge aggro range. Fear not, for the glorious sound of freedom rings loud and true!

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 12, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Third World Reagan posted:

Patriotic workout music to stop slow debuffs.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

1stGear posted:

The numbers on all of them were barely budging despite tens of thousands of players on each.

Meanwhile, I'm not certain if they've deliberately cranked the amount needed on Malevelon Creek as high as it can go or if the community has just given up on ever liberating that planet.

Fenrir III was often within a 3-6 hours of liberating most days but lost a lot progress every night. The other barrier planets for terminids always had a negligible number of players on them at most (all?) times, in the low 5 figures. same with Malevelon Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

A good DM always fudges the numbers a little. It's why they've got the big cardboard screen in front of them