Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just spent a couple of hours wandering around grasslands doing everything. I like the chill experience of gradually unlocking stuff and now I have a new enemy skill that shoots lightning bolts and man the combat is fun

Love beck’s idiot crew. Man this is a feel good game (I assume until some of the later story beats kick in if they still do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like that Tifa or Aerith beg Cloud to do sidequests he has no desire to. thats a better reason than any other videogame

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Getting my rear end kicked by the Corel Intel level 2 with Kid G and the 2 death claws. Anyone have any tips on how to deal with it?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I’m at like 45 hours and just hit Gold Saucer and the mini games are taking like a full 2 points off my score for this game. There’s just so many of them and they gate upgrades and gear behind them. I don’t want to play Mario Party. What the gently caress is this. Every mini game except Queen’s Blood, which rules, is terrible.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I started cackling when I got to the Gold Saucer minigames Round 2 :unsmigghh:

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
You don't have to play them

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Dont listen to them. You have to play them. You need all the trophies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ha, if you go back to Fort Condor with Yuffie in your party she'll mention she's a grandmaster

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

UP AND ADAM posted:

You don't have to play them

That Dark Matter ain't collecting itself buddy

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I didn't get to do the full Kyrie mission in the grasslands because I think I had already gone to Junon, or possibly beyond, and Kyrie had canonically moved on. So I met a stuffed moogle and listened to a tape recording, and I did the collecting poo poo part of the mission, but I didn't hear her banger theme song until later.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

berenzen posted:

Getting my rear end kicked by the Corel Intel level 2 with Kid G and the 2 death claws. Anyone have any tips on how to deal with it?

What in particular is giving you trouble?

Dodge the lethal claw swipes and then pour into one of the Death Claws when they are pressured. Kid G was annoying for melee, so I just nuked him down with some ranged attacks and magic. I tried not to melee him unless I had an opening or as a last resort.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What in particular is giving you trouble?

Dodge the lethal claw swipes and then pour into one of the Death Claws when they are pressured. Kid G was annoying for melee, so I just nuked him down with some ranged attacks and magic. I tried not to melee him unless I had an opening or as a last resort.

Mostly, they're targetting AI companions (mainly aerith) and murdering them bu chaining the lethal claw swipes into more damage while I'm trying focus one of them down

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

berenzen posted:

Mostly, they're targetting AI companions (mainly aerith) and murdering them bu chaining the lethal claw swipes into more damage while I'm trying focus one of them down

Then I got nothing for ya. :( I think the one time a party member got hit by the swipes, the two other enemies were on the other side of the map so I was able to heal them up without anyone dying.

RNG on your party successfully dodging! :negative:

e: idk if some of the materia that fills your ATB to start the battle would be helpful. To nuke down the Death Claws asap. Or try hasting everyone with Red XIII so they move faster.

e2: one of the wards, I think Radiant, makes Aerith immune to phys damage while she's casting a spell. idk if this affects Lethal Swipes or not.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 13, 2024

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hm, perhaps I don't need to get all the enemy skills. Perhaps this mindflayer combat trial just isn't worth it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is there a way to confirm Tifa's current Chi level from the tactical menu without dropping out into realtime and checking what her Triangle move is?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

berenzen posted:

Kid G is easily the most cursed character in the game, me and my friends would have killed him with hammers I can tell you that much

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The final step for the final quest can gently caress off forever, what a terrible minigame this is holy poo poo I hate it

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Arist posted:

Ha, if you go back to Fort Condor with Yuffie in your party she'll mention she's a grandmaster
Yeah, I thought "you won't be able to come back to Junon for a while" meant "we're gonna do the whole infiltration sequence and marching minigame", not "we're unavoidably shipping your rear end to Costa Del Sol before you can come back", so I didn't do any Fort Condor until I had Yuffie, and she said the same thing.

I also had Tifa being called the pull-up queen, and while it was true for me that Tifa beat Jules in pull-ups and Yuffie beat Chadley at Fort Condor, what I wonder is, does the game read your previous saves to load those dialogues in, or do the characters always act like you finished all the minigames?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I am going to start playing Rebirth please tell me how to become gamebreakingly overpowered as early as possible I just want to cut idiot mooks in half

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Grem posted:

I am going to start playing Rebirth please tell me how to become gamebreakingly overpowered as early as possible I just want to cut idiot mooks in half

Play on.easy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When is it good to use Chi Trap with Tifa? Not sure what niche that ability is meant to fill.

Also, I have no loving clue how to successfully dodge things with Yuffie's Brumal Form. I've tried it a lot, and it literally never works for me. Either it's too early and she reappears to get hit, or it's too late.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Blockhouse posted:

Play on.easy

Oh TRUST me bro it's on easy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

When is it good to use Chi Trap with Tifa? Not sure what niche that ability is meant to fill.

Also, I have no loving clue how to successfully dodge things with Yuffie's Brumal Form. I've tried it a lot, and it literally never works for me. Either it's too early and she reappears to get hit, or it's too late.

Smaller pressured enemies get trapped and juggled in it for the duration

If you have a decent magic weapon it shits damage on staggered targets

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Chi trap absolutely destroys encounters with minor enemies. Just let it rip and anybody caught in it will be stunlocked while you build up ATB to launch another one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jimbot posted:

They're shown to fly around him and his surroundings shift from a battle to nothing going on. Actually, it's kind of weird that in Remake all the whispers are just hovering above all of the Avalanche members (and Wedge in Rebirth) before they scatter as you get close. I wonder if that means something.

I'm mainly thinking of the scene at the end of Remake where Sephiroth has to cut through the "wall" of whispers. It seems like, if he had any sort of control over them at that point, he wouldn't need to do that. I think them hovering around the Avalanche members is just supposed to be "them keeping an eye on things to make sure they don't need to step in to maintain the events of the original timeline."

Blockhouse posted:

Smaller pressured enemies get trapped and juggled in it for the duration

If you have a decent magic weapon it shits damage on staggered targets

Ah, I didn't realize it scaled off magic (or that enemies being pressured made them more susceptible to things like juggling - I thought it just made them stagger faster).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harrow posted:

Hm, perhaps I don't need to get all the enemy skills. Perhaps this mindflayer combat trial just isn't worth it.

I used Aerith to sleep them and gave her the plus duration stuff (idk if this was necessary), then used everything Barret and Cloud have to batter the poo poo out of the mindflayer and stagger it, then dumped 6ATB worth of attacks on its head. I also gave Cloud the thing to steal limit gauge from other characters and ended up using a limit when the thing wasn't stagger out of desperation, and it got it done.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I can’t Google this without risking spoilers. Is there a gimmick or something I’m missing when controlling Aerith in combat?

Getting a Ward out is fairly slow — from there I still have to wait for her to get a bar to make use of the second spell.

The primary problem I’m facing is that she gets knocked out very easily. Is this the correct strategy? If you’re controlling Aerith to raise their ATB bar use synergy defense and hold block and from there leverage their ATB bar while controlling another character so they don’t pull aggro?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JackDarko posted:

I can’t Google this without risking spoilers. Is there a gimmick or something I’m missing when controlling Aerith in combat?

Getting a Ward out is fairly slow — from there I still have to wait for her to get a bar to make use of the second spell.

The primary problem I’m facing is that she gets knocked out very easily. Is this the correct strategy? If you’re controlling Aerith to raise their ATB bar use synergy defense and hold block and from there leverage their ATB bar while controlling another character so they don’t pull aggro?

Do spell blade twice with Cloud and they will both have 2 bars. Cast a ward on someone else and start blasting. When the enemies look at you and come over press triangle to teleport to the ward and unleash incredible amounts of magical bullshit.

E: the synergy blocks and stuff are decent but it's way easier to plan ahead and press triangle after using synergy skills with other characters to get her two bars. Once you have a few weapons on her you get an attacking ward in addition to the spell ward. This will let her build ATB as fast as anyone else and also shits damage off her normal attacks.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 12, 2024

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

JBP posted:

Do spell blade twice with Cloud and they will both have 2 bars. Cast a ward on someone else and start blasting. When the enemies look at you and come over press triangle to teleport to the ward and unleash incredible amounts of magical bullshit.

My brain just isn’t built for this sort of combat depth, this is brilliant and not one piece of it would have occurred to me lol

I basically don’t use Aerith for all the same reasons as the person you’re replying to

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Your gameplan with Aerith is to earn enough ATB to be able to pop Luminous Ward, which becomes available around Chapter 4 I think? Some Materia, equipment, and folios will let her start with enough ATB to just do it at the start of battle. With Luminous Ward up, her attacks and dodge improve, and she becomes harder to interrupt while casting spells. She also builds ATB way faster. You can stack an Arcane Ward on top so she's constantly casting doubled up versions of spells. The Bodyguard synergy skill will retarget enemy aggro to your partner for a short period of time to allow you to run when enemies get close. Lead them away from your wards, then Ward Shift back into the wards and continue nuking everything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just Andi Now posted:

Your gameplan with Aerith is to earn enough ATB to be able to pop Luminous Ward, which becomes available around Chapter 4 I think? Some Materia, equipment, and folios will let her start with enough ATB to just do it at the start of battle. With Luminous Ward up, her attacks and dodge improve, and she becomes harder to interrupt while casting spells. She also builds ATB way faster. You can stack an Arcane Ward on top so she's constantly casting doubled up versions of spells. The Bodyguard synergy skill will retarget enemy aggro to your partner for a short period of time to allow you to run when enemies get close. Lead them away from your wards, then Ward Shift back into the wards and continue nuking everything.

She becomes completely unstoppable and higher damage than any other character of you drop luminous and arcane on opposite sides of the arena then just teleport between them building up ATB from luminous, then dropping 10k damage from the arcane. I love her playstyle it's all big brain, flashy wizard poo poo.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Can’t say Aerith is my favorite but one thing she has going for her is she has really potent out of stagger damage on anything with an elemental weakness to exploit. It’s pretty easy for -ga spells to ram the damage cap when she uses them

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Thank you so so much! It makes total sense that the Ward should be casted on an ally that way I can bounce to it. I’ve been foolishly casting it on Aerith which defeats the purpose.

I had a feeling synergy was the answer but tunnel visioned on using it as Aerith it makes complete sense to use someone else instead paired with her to boost her gauge. That’s exciting to hear about Luminous Ward as well, I haven’t gotten it yet and now I’m looking forward to it.

I had a feeling I was the problem and I’m glad that was the case.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Harrow posted:

The thing that ended up succeeding for me was heavily equipping Cloud and Tifa with materia that allowed them to quickly generate ATB (First Strike, ATB Boost, ATB Stagger). I then used enough ATBs to do a Synergy skill, which pressures it long enough to stagger it. I was then fortunately able to do enough damage to kill it in time.

I can't remember if I slept the other mobs or not during that run. I don't think sleeping them was important to my successful run, though, and I experienced a ton of frustration with the mobs I slept just getting awoken again.

The sad thing about the Mindflayer trial is that the reward you get from it is really cool. It's basically this gently caress-off blast that you can use once each fight for 2 ATB.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What's with so many of the arena fights having the exact same opponents? Oh look it's Quetzalcoatl, King Zu, Great Malboro and Jabberwock, again! Sometimes they throw in Mindflayer for... something resembling variety, I guess?

Given that there's already another entire colosseum in the game I'm kinda surprised they didn't bring back the original Battle Square thing, slot machine and all, to differentiate the one in the Saucer from the other.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I wish FF16 had some of this game's budget kicked into it because this game's open world stuff is Too Much and FF16 had Not Enough (lol at those random FF16 treasures for 2 gil) and a middle ground would be Just Right.

And I've only just reached Cosmo Canyon and done the first Chocobo Glide!

Also goddamn this Distant Tremors fight is rear end. Head Case was OK after a few retries because the actual strategy is simple: Magnify Sleep, then go nuts on the Mindflayer.

Tremors needs you to micromanage your ATB carefully for the first fight to avoid everyone getting Earthbound, gives you a semi-breather, then hits you with the double Malceros where your party's AI dodging is inadequate because of the huge damage level they put out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Do we know of budget differences between this game & 16?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the advanced queen’s blood saucer challenges might be a little more than I’m willing to deal with

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Where can I find an Astral Remnant? Dry Ether is the only item I have left to craft currently and it’s the only material I dont have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

lines posted:

Yes this is bang on. Could have had our lad Gav (the Gavster, Big Gav, Gav From The Toon) in there as well.

I'm a few pages behind but ^^ this

Also maybe that big dumb oaf with the funny accent it seemed dumb to have such a fun character only get any speaking parts right near the end