Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

man nurse posted:

Early Resi 4 stuff from one of several prototypes

Huh, I don't remember that. Hopefully not from the Hookman era, that sounds like a recipe for disaster :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat Parasite Eve II

As much as the game seems to be pushing replayability I do not think I will be participating. The Tower and Dirtville both have great atmosphere, it's not as good as 90's NY in the Christmas season but it does a good job of capturing the millennial X-files adjacent atmosphere. Even with the Coke advertisements plastered everywhere. What a weird choice for Coke marketing btw. But even in Dryville by the time you get to having to run back to Douglas multiple times on fetch quests I was starting to get a bad feeling. And that feeling turned out mostly correct. The bunker was a complete slog, everything looks the same, all the character in the environments is gone and your left running back and forth aimlessly looking for the path forward. Several times I couldn't understand why I was going where I was going to, and what I was supposed to accomplish.
I was over it by the time I got to Neo Ark and then I had to suffer from some of the worst puzzles I've ever seen in one of these types of games, the sliding block puzzle and the pyramid puzzle specifically. When you get to the climax chasing No.9 only for it to end with the Marines showing up, and then forcing you to turn your rear end right around and go back I felt such a crushing sense dread. It's my number one criticism of the game, there is no forward momentum at all. And anytime you think there is going to be some the game hits some brick wall. The first game had this beautiful framing device of starting on Christmas Eve and watching the crisis just get worse and worse each day as you struggled to get a hold of what the situation even was. 2 makes it seem like you're on two separate low stakes cases before you start to unravel the mystery of what's going on which really fucks with your mindset going in. There's no glorious, operatic opening to compel your chase into Dryfield the way that 1 has. I feel like I'm just going through the motions the entire time and being held up by asking permission for a wrench or having to find a gas can cause apparently a mechanics shop and a gas station don't have one laying around.

A huge part of the problem is the characters, PE had an incredibly compelling villain from the start and introduced an interesting human villain as well in Klamp. Practically all of the humans involved in the Neo-Neoteny plan are already dead at the start so almost all the villain burden is heaped on a discount henchman who acts totally incoherently for most of the game. There's also this subplot of some of the ANMC's being under Eve's control and some being free but why did they go out of their way to attack the Akropolis tower? The whole start of the game doesn't really make any sense unless I'm missing something. They also try to dip their toes in into some conspiracy angles to make up for the lack of anything else going on in the plot, but it doesn't really work. It's hard to take the Second Neoteny plan seriously, and Kyle playing male Ada does not work.

Speaking of Kyle, he is the biggest sufferer of from the lack of voice acting. The thing is, I think the first game could've used it, but the way the game was directed wisely focused on keeping the camera drawn out and the characters gesturing wildly. II instead draws the camera in and tries to direct it more intimately which makes them all incredibly awkward watching slow rear end text scroll while zero music plays and people just stare at each other on mute. Kyle seems like he is supposed to be kind of a sardonic rear end in a top hat love interest but instead comes off like a loving prick who is constantly lying and berating Aya then having asides that he actually really likes her. gently caress him, maybe you should've shot No.9 before I had to do half this loving game.

The climax ends up being a total nothing. The Golems are awful to fight, the Neoteny plan already failed but everyone still wants Eve so people have to run in circles trying to find her. Melissa 2.0 comes out of nowhere after No.9 ignobly dies after explaining his nonsensical raison d'ętre. Then Kyle and Aya get together I guess. I mean when Aya's other options are a dork, a dude who brags about his father getting opera tickets, and another dork I guess it makes sense.

Realizing that I got the bad ending was disheartening, but looking up what I would have had to do would've made me lose my mind. I already thought the game was tedious and not compelling, going back to the second area to do all of it again while you're supposed to be exploring the shelter and finding Eve is insane.

The gameplay is alright, the music is significantly worse than the previous and the atmosphere doesn't match at all. I never got angry or mad at the game, but I frequently found myself wishing that the game was just better.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

Huh, I don't remember that. Hopefully not from the Hookman era, that sounds like a recipe for disaster :ohdear:

I seem to remember it just being a single screenshot of an area under a blimp. Probably wasn’t the location for the whole game. I think it predates the flashlight hookman stuff

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Shadows of Rose thoughts: real bad writing, fun as hell final boss

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
like just, top tier Bad Capcom Writing. "because of him, i could move forward", i say to myself, out loud, in the Old Hunters Dream Mushroom Zone

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

Shadows of Rose thoughts: real bad writing, fun as hell final boss

Shadows of Rose existing at all kind of surprised me, because I thought that I had read that 7, 8, and 9 were going to be a trilogy, so I figured 9 was going to be Rose's story. That was a hell of a time jump for a DLC.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Shadows of Rose existing at all kind of surprised me, because I thought that I had read that 7, 8, and 9 were going to be a trilogy, so I figured 9 was going to be Rose's story. That was a hell of a time jump for a DLC.

I don't know anything to support it, but I always wondered if they got cold feet or something. A trilogy seemed so natural once they did a direct sequel, it felt abrupt to end it the way they did. But who knows, maybe that was always the plan and it just felt that way because of the covid impacts.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Please no more Chris. Let someone else be in the game.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Would be interesting if it was Rebecca.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

chris is forever involved and forever angry

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chris' raison d'ętre for like four games was that wesker punched him out once and he absolutely could not get over it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We all have that one guy

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'm gonna play RE4make and then try out that seamless HD upscale gamecube thing for the original RE2&3. I've heard they're worth playing even if I've already played their remakes, especially 3

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
or maybe i should check out those Dread X Collections i picked up in a bundle forever ago.... this truly is the age of video games

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Just watched a playthrough of a game called Reveil. A somewhat standard indie horror, it's definitely more than it appears, and is buoyed by some excellent visual design. Worth a watch, if nothing else.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Would be interesting if it was Rebecca.

I'd love to see Rebecca in another game; at least she got some recognition by being one of the main characters in the last CGI movie, so we at least know that they remember that she exists. I'm also a little surprised that we haven't seen Billy a single time since RE0.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Morpheus posted:

Just watched a playthrough of a game called Reveil. A somewhat standard indie horror, it's definitely more than it appears, and is buoyed by some excellent visual design. Worth a watch, if nothing else.

It definitely has me intrigued, but I heard it was like 3 or 4 hours, which felt a bit short given the price and my backlog.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Douche4Sale posted:

It definitely has me intrigued, but I heard it was like 3 or 4 hours, which felt a bit short given the price and my backlog.

I just finished it, took my time and got about 4.5 hours. I was going to give it an hour and refund it if it was bad, I don't feel like I wasted my money but yeah definitely wait for a sale. It's like a longer linear P.T. with less jump scares and the story is mostly pretty good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i finished both re:4 and re4make.

re:4 was pretty clearly the better game, but that's not really a fair comparison when one of the two games is literally one of the most acclaimed games ever. anyway i can not believe the crafting system in re4make passed muster.

also i liked combat in re4 a lot more once i got used to the controls, it did a fun job of translating the bits in the fixed angle games where it was all about finding good positioning.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm assuming Texas Chainsaw Massacre didn't do too well because I've been getting an email once a week from Xbox letting me know it's on sale.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i finished both re:4 and re4make.

re:4 was pretty clearly the better game, but that's not really a fair comparison when one of the two games is literally one of the most acclaimed games ever. anyway i can not believe the crafting system in re4make passed muster.

also i liked combat in re4 a lot more once i got used to the controls, it did a fun job of translating the bits in the fixed angle games where it was all about finding good positioning.

One interesting bit is that in the OG Japanese version the section played with Ashley is classic fixed camera angle. It's pretty interesting to see a small slice of what could've been if they'd just kept rolling with it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
comparing re4make to re4 is unfair in the exact same way as like comparing doom 2016 and doom lol. hard to do it when one of them is one of the most influential games in the history of its genre and the other one is doom 2016 or re4make. they're good games.

enjoyed them a lot more than re7 anyway. capcom had some gigantic sale so i now own CV, and get to replay RE6, which i love

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm assuming Texas Chainsaw Massacre didn't do too well because I've been getting an email once a week from Xbox letting me know it's on sale.

Nah, the devs really fumbled it so once the initial rush of people playing on Gamepass got bored the population fell off a cliff.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I genuinely wonder if my opinion would be vastly different if I had played re4-6 when they first came out. The chainsaw man on the box art was too spooky for teenage me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's always nice when it turns out people aren't nostalgia brained and an old game is exactly as good as they say. had that happen with Super Metroid and Metroid Prime too

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

One interesting bit is that in the OG Japanese version the section played with Ashley is classic fixed camera angle. It's pretty interesting to see a small slice of what could've been if they'd just kept rolling with it.

I wish they'd kept that bit in. I couldn't handle it for the whole game, but it sounds like a fun throwback for a short section.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Idk, og re4 felt way overrated for how much people talk it up. Its a very good game, but it has a lot of things dragging it down too, mostly related to padding in the back half of the game. I still remember the audible "fuckin' really?" in the castle when you get to the lionhead gate and just descend into a random minecart section to get the key. A very large chunk of the island as well.

I don't knock it for controls or anything cause that's mostly personal preference, the time of release and it literally ground breaking for the genre. The bad portions of the game are also kinda by design, they had room on the disc why not include all this extra stuff? Give people their money's worth. Perfect for when buying games was fewer and further in-between generally.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In the RE-verse, badass action heroes experience life over their shoulder, while normies or those not-yet badasses experience it from fixed perspectives.

Ethan sees things in first person because he's a weird little guy.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nah, the devs really fumbled it so once the initial rush of people playing on Gamepass got bored the population fell off a cliff.

That's so loving sad, streams of the demo made it look like a really fun and varied game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think it was always doomed to be the hot trend of the week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much anything in that vein that isn't DBD is going to have to go up against the fact that DBD has 95% of the horror poo poo people want or thinly veiled knockoffs which makes it a lot harder to maintain an audience good or bad.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think it was always doomed to be the hot trend of the week.

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much anything in that vein that isn't DBD is going to have to go up against the fact that DBD has 95% of the horror poo poo people want or thinly veiled knockoffs which makes it a lot harder to maintain an audience good or bad.

To be fair, the devs said up front that they weren't expecting it to compete with DBD and be a long lasting game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It took about a week for the game to get populated by the DBD sweats who'd give people poo poo for not doing things properly, which is the norm for these sort of games, sadly.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
It and Evil Dead were fun for the month they lived.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DBD having such a stranglehold is mystifying to me. The game plays and looks like dogshit while I thought Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead looked/played so much better. Even Friday the 13th I thought was a better take on that genre.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DLC Inc posted:

DBD having such a stranglehold is mystifying to me. The game plays and looks like dogshit while I thought Chainsaw Massacre and Evil Dead looked/played so much better. Even Friday the 13th I thought was a better take on that genre.

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/the-sunk-cost-fallacy

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

DBD regularly goes on sale dirt cheap so anyone who has a passing interest probably already owns it, but buying another game that is pretty similar on the surface is a tough ask when you're looking at a $40-60 entry per person plus the ever-present Sword of Damocles that is IP rights / server shutdown.

TCM is/was on Gamepass but I haven't bothered trying it because no one I know has it and I didn't see anything that stood out enough from DBD to justify playing with randos.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Instant Grat posted:

or maybe i should check out those Dread X Collections i picked up in a bundle forever ago.... this truly is the age of video games

You should, Dread X in general is cool poo poo.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

they're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I played The Quarry, Man of Medan, and now working on Little Falls. For all their flaws I like these games a lot, but The Curator does nothing for me. He's not bad... just kinda bland. Am I alone?