Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
As someone who hasn't read the book or seen the first series I view Yabu less as in over his head but a survivor who's just in a tough spot. Knowing he survived the Japanese invasions of Korea in the late 16th century kind of tells me he's seen his fair share of poo poo and obviously has a bit of a cruel streak in him from what we've already seen but yeah...I guess he is in a bit over his head but its more just he can only think 1 step ahead not 2. What I'm saying is...I LOVE YABU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yabu: Torranaga's a loving rear end in a top hat, I'm gonna side with Ishido.

Ishido: I am also a loving rear end in a top hat.

Yabu: poo poo

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yabu is definitely in over his head but only because Toranaga is a god-level schemer and manipulator. I think the show does a good job showing us that Yabu's scheming is conducted well enough to escape notice by everyone except Toranaga, who obviously sees it and is confident enough in his own abilities to let Yabu know he sees it.

"You are so lucky, always in the right place at the right time" was a real power flex. He's telling Yabu that he sees his ambition and even respects it enough to let him keep climbing, but to take it down a notch and balance it with patience and trust in Toranaga to come out on top.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

"You are so lucky, always in the right place at the right time" was a real power flex. He's telling Yabu that he sees his ambition and even respects it enough to let him keep climbing, but to take it down a notch and balance it with patience and trust in Toranaga to come out on top.

Exactly. He sees through him but he knows he can be used in ways that are beneficial for him. He knows he's putting him in a really lovely position. Its fun!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I went back to watch Episode 4 again at the end. The gore at the very end from all the cannons is mind-boggling good. I haven't seen that attention to detail since early Game of Thrones.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yabu is definitely in over his head but only because Toranaga is a god-level schemer and manipulator. I think the show does a good job showing us that Yabu's scheming is conducted well enough to escape notice by everyone except Toranaga, who obviously sees it and is confident enough in his own abilities to let Yabu know he sees it.

Nagakado also seems to have him pegged dead to rights too, hence the whole "I'm just gonna turn Ishido's men to pasta sauce with Anjin-san's cannons, gently caress you, Yabu" gambit that ends the episode.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Nagakado also seems to have him pegged dead to rights too, hence the whole "I'm just gonna turn Ishido's men to pasta sauce with Anjin-san's cannons, gently caress you, Yabu" gambit that ends the episode.

To be fair, at the moment it seems like a dumb play and he seems to be manipulated, based on how the show paints it, but earlier he is talking about ambitious men and allies and it makes sense. He somehow was able to move cannons presumably using Yabu's men, since it's his army, and Yabu had no idea what was happening. So, maybe Nagakado isn't just some dumb kid. I don't know if Toranaga would have done that, and really pushed the war, but maybe he did in the background. Removing Toranaga almost completely from the episode was a smart choice from a storytelling perspective, along with the various misdirects. I know the book is good, but I like that I haven't read it so everything is new and unknown to me.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Phy posted:

As a fan of one Jas. Aubrey, Captain, RN I was pretty happy to see Blackthorne work out "Oh, right, accurate naval gunnery!" I have no idea if cannon circa 1600 would have been that accurate out to that range but I'm willing to forgive it.

Also, I don't remember if they've said precisely when Blackthorne left England , but I checked for William Adams, who sailed in 1598, so he could have seen a well-known play in London about tragic lovers. Not 100% sure about cursed kings though.

Based on dialogue in the episode I feel like the Portugese deliberately gave the Japanese older, shittier cannons/mortars. After all, with all the shady dealings they'd been up to in Japan's overseas holdings, why would they risk giving them weapons on parity with their own?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bloody Pom posted:

Based on dialogue in the episode I feel like the Portugese deliberately gave the Japanese older, shittier cannons/mortars. After all, with all the shady dealings they'd been up to in Japan's overseas holdings, why would they risk giving them weapons on parity with their own?

I think the Japanese might not have really had the infrastructure to cast decent cannons and the Portugese weren't going to be helpful about that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Party that, partly Japan is very resource poor when it comes to iron and what little they have is very poor quality. It's why Japanese carpentry uses carefully cut joins and tension instead of nails and why there was this mystique of the steel for a katana being folded 500+ times. It needed to be folded that many times so it wouldn't immediately shatter. They do have a poo poo ton of coal though, which was what helped their economic development in the late 19th into the 20th century with growth in steam power.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Book spoilers, but one thing we'll come to learn about Yabushige's nephew is he is much smarter and more clever than his uncle, who as noted, is fairly clever and capable himself.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So hey, all those samurai who shaved a big patch on the top of their head? Please tell me this was because of a decree from some historical shogun who was going bald and really hated seeing all the young samurai with their thick black hair.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 13, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chonmage

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You don’t have to like it, but it’s what peak performance was thought to look like at the time

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Phenotype posted:

So hey, all those samurai who shaved a big patch on the top of their head? Please tell me this was because of a decree from some historical shogun who was going bald and really hated seeing all the young samurai with their thick black hair.

It's just a different hairstyle (it's called a chonmage) but the origin has a couple theories. One is that it helps your helmet stay on your head better, and young men tend to be doing more of the fighting than the old generals. The other is that aristocrats wore specific caps and it also fit better with the forelock shaved.

But there's also an phenomenon around this time going on about appearances. You probably noticed that most of the older men sport beards and full heads of hair. In the preceding generation, this is the look most associated with the warrior class, but in the early 1600s (honestly a little after the time period the show is set) that same look comes to be associated with the barbarism and savagery of the age of warring states and you start to see younger men sporting less facial hair. Eventually being clean shaven is the look the comes to be associated with being classy and presentable, and it becomes an entrenched cultural norm. It's why most Japanese men are clean shaven still today.

Personally I have to shave my beard every time before I go to Japan or my (older) relatives make comments about how I would look so much better without it. Younger people tend to not care as much.

Edit: I realize this became more about beards than shaved heads, but there are some hair facts for ya.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 13, 2024

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I think the Japanese might not have really had the infrastructure to cast decent cannons and the Portugese weren't going to be helpful about that.

This actually was what the deal historically with Japan was at the time. The samurai were incredibly quick to adopt firearms, and by the time this story takes place, there were numerous places throughout the country (Tanegashima, Kunitomo, and Sakai in particular) churning out matchlocks that, according to many accounts, matched or even exceeded what was being produced in Europe in both quantity and quality; there's likely some exaggeration in there, but there's still no denying that the Japanese very quickly adapted what production infrastructure they had to churning out large amounts of firearms, and that they were also making changes and improvements to the design that the Portuguese initially brought over. However, they never really could get a handle on making cannons. Those were exceedingly rare, and what few were extant were almost all purchased from European traders, initially the Portuguese, and then later the Dutch; I believe there were a few smaller cannons that were produced in-country, but they tended to be not particularly effective or reliable.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

My head canon is always going to be that the style was started by a cabal of aging, balding lords who got jealous of their hunkiest samurai and made everyone shave the top of their heads so that no one had any more hair than they did.

Why was Blackthorne's journal written in Portuguese? Wouldn't have he written in English (and then it would have been an impenetrable enigma to Mariko)

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm assuming from the ending that Yabu was very much not in on the plan to wipe out regent's messengers and this is his nephew making some self-interested move that isn't clear yet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I should have maybe not been eating during the last scene.

At least it wasn't ragù bolognese which is what Ishidu's men became

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I went back to watch Episode 4 again at the end. The gore at the very end from all the cannons is mind-boggling good. I haven't seen that attention to detail since early Game of Thrones.

:same: Every detail ,from the costuming to the acting to the sets, is absolutely nuts. This show will be rewatcheable for decades to come

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sun Tzu actually said you should stand in your enemy's artillery training ground, it's a very good idea.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Sun Tzu actually said you should stand in your enemy's artillery training ground, it's a very good idea.

Isn't waiting for your enemy to make a mistake an actual part of the Art of War? It's one of those books I own but have never read (including the edition edited by Clavell.)

I may be looking too much into the scene, but the grounds already looked pretty muddy and cratered at that spot; as if some target practice had been done beforehand.

Eh, then people would have heard it. Nevermind.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Pretty sure in the book they just killed them all with swords and arrows and stuff. But that was more stealthy and the cannons is a more overt way to signal to everyone (meaning the viewer) that the war is officially on.

In the book Blackthorne is actually teaching them musket tactics too. Wasn't sure about the switch to cannons for TV but it worked out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Clearly the production also has history nerds working for it who came to similar conclusions on cannons vs muskets in the hands of a sailor

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
So in the first episode, did the baby have to commit sudoku too?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yup. They even had a baby-sized urn ready to go.

The only reason Fuji didn't have to as well was because her grandpa is a mensch and pleaded with Toranaga using the "She's the only member of my family that's not a fuckup" argument.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pretty sure in the book they just killed them all with swords and arrows and stuff. But that was more stealthy and the cannons is a more overt way to signal to everyone (meaning the viewer) that the war is officially on.

In the book Blackthorne is actually teaching them musket tactics too. Wasn't sure about the switch to cannons for TV but it worked out.

In the book blackthorne is helping train musket troops, some of which are under Omi's command, they do a big training demonstration for the messengers, firing blanks, then Omi has his troops load live ammo and gun down most of the messengers, a few wounded ones commit sudoku, and their leader, Nebara Jozen, gets disembowled and his hamstrings cut and left to die slowly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hughmoris posted:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

hailthefish posted:

In the book blackthorne is helping train musket troops, some of which are under Omi's command, they do a big training demonstration for the messengers, firing blanks, then Omi has his troops load live ammo and gun down most of the messengers, a few wounded ones commit sudoku, and their leader, Nebara Jozen, gets disembowled and his hamstrings cut and left to die slowly

You're right I'm thinking of the few messengers that Ishidos men sent that they track down later, which is a part of the plot that doesn't seem to exist in the TV version because of their need to simplify/condense things

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So obviously the end of episode 4 is a huge provocation and everything, but why is everyone suddenly like "Oh now it's gonna be war". Toranaga snuck out of Osaka, killing a bunch of guards in the process, expressly against the orders of the regents. After that, wasn't war inevitable? I mean barring something like Toranaga's abject surrender or possibly suicide.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it was just a reaction to the huge provocation and having just seen people turned into loving jelly, jesus christ

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

milk dribbling gently caress smear

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

It's puzzling, why force a child to do such a thing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Collateral posted:

It's puzzling, why force a child to do such a thing.

If a baby can be sent to the corner store to get groceries they can do sudoku

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The baby could do an easy sudoku. The dad had to do one that required an x-wing

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

The baby could do an easy sudoku. The dad had to do one that required an x-wing

Blow up the Death Star?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Meanwhile, during all of this, and most of feudal Japanese history, the Imperial family is just chilling in Kyoto, writing poetry or whatever.

Collateral posted:

It's puzzling

I can't tell if this was accidental or clever.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 13, 2024

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Great ep, I especially liked the scene of Fuji and Blackthorne exchanging gifts :unsmith:

Help me remember a detail from the book - does Blackthorne ever, ahem, pillow with a Japanese woman beside Mariko? Couldn't tell if that was supposed to be her sneaking into his room towards the end there. I would have guessed that would happen in the next episode or two based on when I remember it happening in the book.

Have decided that he's either doing Kelsey Grammar doing a bad English accent, or an Englishman doing a bad Kelsey Grammar impression. It's growing on me either way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Great ep, I especially liked the scene of Fuji and Blackthorne exchanging gifts :unsmith:

Help me remember a detail from the book - does Blackthorne ever, ahem, pillow with a Japanese woman beside Mariko? Couldn't tell if that was supposed to be her sneaking into his room towards the end there. I would have guessed that would happen in the next episode or two based on when I remember it happening in the book.

Have decided that he's either doing Kelsey Grammar doing a bad English accent, or an Englishman doing a bad Kelsey Grammar impression. It's growing on me either way.

Having seen a couple of interviews of Cosmo Jarvis talking normally in his regular British accent, I've come to the conclusion that the voice he's doing in the show is mean to emphasize just how loving alien a British dude would sound to Japanese people at the time, and in that regard I think it works a lot. Because while Blacktorne's the POV character, the show is also primarily about everyone else reacting to just what the unholy gently caress Blackthorne even is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

So obviously the end of episode 4 is a huge provocation and everything, but why is everyone suddenly like "Oh now it's gonna be war". Toranaga snuck out of Osaka, killing a bunch of guards in the process, expressly against the orders of the regents. After that, wasn't war inevitable? I mean barring something like Toranaga's abject surrender or possibly suicide.

I think up until this point it's just been foot soldiers that have been killed in the line of duty, so no biggie. Diplomacy and politics were still on the table. Now that Ishido's right hand man is a sloppy Joe, there's no more feigning polite ignorance in order to avoid outright war.