Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
IBS masteries suck rear end and the grind just to get the points will probably give you actual IBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Staff Spellbreaker is pretty fun (open world), very active and engaging without requiring really complicated rotations. I don't have any proper gear for it (I guess it should just be celestial because I'm lazy and boring) but it sustains itself (and everyone in the vicinity) quite well anyway. I'm doing:

Staff / DD
Tactics 2-3-3
Discipline 3-3-2
Spellbreaker 2-3-3 (maybe better with GM 2 if you're with friends)

You can pretty much just burst and full counter with the staff over and over again between autoattack chains while mixing in staff 2 and 4 and you are just a fountain of green numbers. Staff 5 is a long block followed by a totally massive heal if you get in trouble. And then you switch to the daggers when you want things to die.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Staff for open world should be berserker, marauders, and/or dragon gear. Celestial is bad if you don’t have condition damage to scale. You can use defensive traits, sigils, food, relics, etc if you need more sustain

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Celestial is bad for power-only builds but it's very good for condition builds or weird poo poo that's part power part condition. For example, warrior sword's 1-3, or guardian torch.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Update: they let you skip to the new release once you get through chapter 6 of the Secrets expansion. I have no idea what the gently caress I was doing (there are good kryptis? i guess?) but I did it and now I have new weapons for all my characters!

It reminded me, in a bad way, of Destiny, where when you log in after a long time it automatically jumps you into the current season's opening mission, and you have absolutely no idea what is going on as the characters all shout total nonsense at you about how Proper Noun is needed to align Other Proper Noun in order to Capital Verb Yet Another Proper Noun. Oh well, Necro sword is cool.

if you play through the whole story the good kryptis still don't make any sense hope that helps

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Am I doing leyline gliding wrong? Watching other people I kind of assumed it just like, sucked you in and shwooped you off to a new destination. But when I glide near one of those things I just kind of bounce along it in the least effective means of transport ever.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Sometimes it's more effective to lean in or out but no, that's leylines for ya.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

gandlethorpe posted:

Speaking of long term goals, does IBS offer, uh, any? Besides being a part of the legendary amulet collection.

LS3 and 4 have the legendary accessories, the expansions offer weapons and armor. IBS doesn't seem to have anything compelling if you aren't into a bunch of overpriced weapon skins. Granted, the maps are worth coming back to just because they're generically profitable (and perhaps even fun, at least in Drizzlewood's case)

I don't know if it offers any but I wouldn't give up eternal ice shards for the world, personally

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's the mastery grind, get dragon slayer completed and you can get some really good poo poo from dragonstorm...at a minuscule drop rate lol

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Dragonstorm itself is like a daily 5-6 gold for like 10-15 minutes of effort and that's insane

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

whydirt posted:

Staff for open world should be berserker, marauders, and/or dragon gear. Celestial is bad if you don’t have condition damage to scale. You can use defensive traits, sigils, food, relics, etc if you need more sustain

I'll think about the gear but I think Berserker is boring, I like Full Counter a lot and want to keep doing it. I'll tinker with it.

The next thing I tried was Ranger maces, which is definitely getting nerfed, right? It feels like way too much damage for that many boons and stuns... and then you reset all your cooldowns and do it again.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

If there's a nerf I hope it's on the weapon. The last thing just about every class in GW2 needs is a nerf to its core attributes / trait lines.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Completed "Skritt Hot" (dodge Primordus's "Apocalypse Rain" 25 times) for an IBS mastery point in the absolute stupidest way. I hate the IBS achievements so bad.

I entered the Dragonstorm Story instance. Progressed the fight until you break up the champions and fight them on opposite sides of the field. Then instead of actually fighting I hovered above Braham on a skyscale waiting for Primordus's "Apocalypse Rain" attack (shows like 5 AOE circles that boulders eventually fall on). Primordus telegraphs it by leaning down to grab a mouthful of rocks then spitting them upwards. So when you see the AOEs dash down dismount, dodge, and remount before dealing with any other mechanics.

Not sure the same cheese works in the public instance, but in story mode you can idle in the proper phase of the fight while NPCs whittle away at Braham.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 9, 2024

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

This has taken me altogether too long to finish but I finally made the stupid sword:

Gen 2 legendaries are a lot more annoying than Gen 1.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Gen 2 legendaries are a lot more annoying than Gen 1.

Agreed, but I prefer them a lot more.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I finally finished getting all the masteries from LW1 to get the lion's memory (and just AP in general) and my final review is : this was mostly okay. A lot of it doesn't linger, the worst is dealing with janky poo poo with axe on thief (because of how the weapon interacts with older mobs in general), and Battle for Lion's Arch not being the greatest recreation, although I can hardly fault them for that, considering how that piece of content worked back then.

Tower of nightmare can eat a bag of dicks though gently caress that place terribly genuinely unfun

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 9, 2024

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Reoxygenation posted:

Tower of nightmare can eat a bag of dicks though gently caress that people terribly genuinely unfun
And this is after a decade of power creep, so you can imagine how bad it was the first time :shepicide:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
First time around all I remember is following a large zerg through the place after it was mostly empty or filled with people farming sections instead of a small group going from start to finish.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Bleh. Living World is such a slog to me already and I just started the episode with the Tower of Nightmare.

It’s been nice to get more 20 slot bags at least.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

LW1 and 2 are still trying to figure out what they're doing but it does get better after that

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

DARPA posted:

Completed "Skritt Hot" (dodge Primordus's "Apocalypse Rain" 25 times) for an IBS mastery point in the absolute stupidest way. I hate the IBS achievements so bad.

I entered the Dragonstorm Story instance. Progressed the fight until you break up the champions and fight them on opposite sides of the field. Then instead of actually fighting I hovered above Braham on a skyscale waiting for Primordus's "Apocalypse Rain" attack (shows like 5 AOE circles that boulders eventually fall on). Primordus telegraphs it by leaning down to grab a mouthful of rocks then spitting them upwards. So when you see the AOEs dash down dismount, dodge, and remount before dealing with any other mechanics.

Not sure the same cheese works in the public instance, but in story mode you can idle in the proper phase of the fight while NPCs whittle away at Braham.

I didn't even think to do the story instance. Gonna give this a shot!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Trip Report: The strat works! The dodge timing is awkward since you have either try to watch the falling rocks by moving your camera in a weird position or just guess when to dodge since there's no circle filling indicator. Thankfully, I got a couple double evades to make up for it.

The timing on the Jormag side looks even more awkward. I tend to dodge too early if there's not a timed indicator.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Tower of nightmare at launch was loving stressful.

Like it sucked and it loving sucked. And this was with a massive zerg.

Its probably when i bailed now that i think of it. I never saw what happened after. Logged in sometime after to a destroyed LA, that i hated because i didnt know where anything was, and bailed for 8 or so years lol

Faxanadus
Oct 16, 2023
Re-release was the first time I ever played it and with a fully decked out character with a lot of stealth it was tolerable.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Power-creeped celestial open world builds make it fine-to-tolerable, which is what I did, but man was it still rough, thankfully did get a bunch of the stuff done with the LW1 re-run a while back for the hardest stuff

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Wow this black lion dye canister you get from chests now sucks and is stupid. I wish I'd known they replaced the free exotic item with this before I used my one key :shepface:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Wow this black lion dye canister you get from chests now sucks and is stupid. I wish I'd known they replaced the free exotic item with this before I used my one key :shepface:

you can preview black lion chests to see what they give.

you can preview the top bag/dye canister too.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

DARPA posted:

you can do it on a skimmer and just hold the button when the rocks come

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Speaking of the old LA, I miss the old sPvP hub

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Nuebot posted:

It's not like the exotic weapon grab bag was much better, especially for a festival chest. The dye canister in the chest does mean that getting the four unique dyes will be cheaper during this chest cycle, so maybe look and see if those colors are something you want to get.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

where the red fern gropes posted:

you can do it on a skimmer and just hold the button when the rocks come

Reddit post says this was patched out a couple years ago.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Actuarial Fables posted:

It's not like the exotic weapon grab bag was much better, especially for a festival chest. The dye canister in the chest does mean that getting the four unique dyes will be cheaper during this chest cycle, so maybe look and see if those colors are something you want to get.

the exotic grab bag was at least some toilet fodder or whatever with a tiny chance at a legendary. The dye canister just offers to sell you dyes if you open more chests and get more canisters, basically.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I wasn't sure how good of a deal the storage bundle was. I got one because my alt kept getting full and the shared slot is nice. Bank and mat storage was less of a problem, but it doesn't hurt to have less overflow on characters.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

After finishing Aurora and Vision on top of getting Lion's memory, feeling kinda burned out from the game. Will see if the patch notes and gameplay feel of some changes shake things up but it might be time where I go back into hibernation and maybe just do weeklies and leave it at that for a while...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

shooooot I left my unbreakable mining tools on one of my alts... which one....

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

StrixNebulosa posted:

shooooot I left my unbreakable mining tools on one of my alts... which one....

If you have gw2efficiency.com set up, you can search it up easily.

If you don't have it set up, it's very nice to have, especially for big crafting projects and finding things lost somewhere in storage.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

There is also a blish plugin if you don't want to leave the game, but it's not as nice as the efficiency site.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The fact that GW2 is mostly very alt-friendly makes the corner cases of character-bound stuff stick out that much more.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im a bit surprised no one mentioned legendary crafting tools yet (unbreakable of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
wish they did, one of the big reasons i don't log into alts for open world poo poo ever is that i'd have to juggle the tools i bought way back when they got first introduced

the other is waypoints, but that's easily fixed by the gigantic stash of free teleport to friend i hoarded over the years. i'm not giving anet cash for shared slots just so i can effectively use something i already paid money for in the first place, just make them legendary already anet