Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kids and Guns posted:

Alesha's got a Mardu color identity, doesn't she? Unfortunately.

I admit I haven't probed the actual rulings for something like this, but Alesha's Mardu by color identity, but doesn't actually need all three of those colors. She needs red to summon and either black or white to use her effect. It might be that she's illegal to play in that by Commander format rules, but if she is legal to play in his deck, then she operates just fine.

And if that is illegal to play her in his deck, that's just the establishment forcing trans people to fight each other instead of standing in solidarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

I admit I haven't probed the actual rulings for something like this, but Alesha's Mardu by color identity, but doesn't actually need all three of those colors. She needs red to summon and either black or white to use her effect. It might be that she's illegal to play in that by Commander format rules, but if she is legal to play in his deck, then she operates just fine.

And if that is illegal to play her in his deck, that's just the establishment forcing trans people to fight each other instead of standing in solidarity.

Colour identity is the colours that show up on every part of the card yes. Flip cards have the colour identity of the front and back for example.

Magic the Gathering Wiki posted:

The color identity of a card is the combination of all colors in its mana cost, any color indicator or color-setting characteristic-defining abilities on the card and any mana symbols in the card's rules text.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 13, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Chamale posted:

WOTC says they plan to fix stickers in Legacy because Mind Goblin causes some problems, and it's currently much weaker on MTGO than in paper because the paper version lets you know how much mana it's going to create ahead of time. 1) A Goblins player needs to know how much mana to expect from their Mind Goblin. 2) A Mind Goblin needs to produce mana after getting put on the battlefield by Muxus, Goblin Grandee. 3) Legacy decks that can steal an opponent's spell get a competitive advantage from bringing their own sticker deck, on the off-chance that they steal a Mind Goblin. To make it equivalent to how it works with stickers, they would need some rules text like:

quote:

Reveal _____ Goblin from your hand: If you don't control a Sticker emblem, roll a D6. You create a Sticker emblem with "When a card named _____ Goblin enters under your control, if it's on the battlefield, add X red mana, then sacrifice this emblem.
If you rolled 1-3, X is four.
If you rolled 4-5, X is five.
If you rolled a 6, X is six."

If _____ Goblin would enter and you don't control a Sticker emblem, instead create that emblem and then _____ Goblin enters.

okay

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

can't lie I never understood Mind Goblin. i don't get why it's so good

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

People like the lovely joke and it does make a bunch of extra red mana for a deck full of cheap Red creatures. It's basically worse Dark Ritual for Goblins at its worst and significantly better than Dark Ritual at best.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It gets you to six mana, for the six mana goblin, muxus.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Johnny Truant posted:

with a very specific setup it leads to infinite mana despite sticker sheets sheets needing to be picked from randomly

I do think like half of why it sees play is to make a point though. the people who always threaten to come to vintage with initiative and stickers and attractions and the monarch and both kinds of werewolves and universes beyond had to eventually find a card actually worth playing for real at some point

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

It's a Seething Song that's also a Goblin. Except when it only makes four mana, then it's just a Coping Song.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sit on my Jace posted:

It's a Seething Song that's also a Goblin. Except when it only makes four mana, then it's just a Coping Song.

:rimshot:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

In all fairness Mind Goblin (makes 1 Red Mana) is a bad card, but Delusionary Goblin (6 red mana) is very good.

You can have 9 sticker sheets with at least 1 name 4 mana or better and the last sheet is any of the sheets with 3 mana names.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

flatluigi posted:

with a very specific setup it leads to infinite mana despite sticker sheets sheets needing to be picked from randomly

I do think like half of why it sees play is to make a point though. the people who always threaten to come to vintage with initiative and stickers and attractions and the monarch and both kinds of werewolves and universes beyond had to eventually find a card actually worth playing for real at some point

It lets a goblins player cast muxus on turn one if all goes well. It's extremely powerful

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ilmucche posted:

It lets a goblins player cast muxus on turn one if all goes well. It's extremely powerful

sure, and that chance of a high roll is the other half of why it gets played

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Chamale posted:

WOTC says they plan to fix stickers in Legacy because Mind Goblin causes some problems, and it's currently much weaker on MTGO than in paper because the paper version lets you know how much mana it's going to create ahead of time. 1) A Goblins player needs to know how much mana to expect from their Mind Goblin. 2) A Mind Goblin needs to produce mana after getting put on the battlefield by Muxus, Goblin Grandee. 3) Legacy decks that can steal an opponent's spell get a competitive advantage from bringing their own sticker deck, on the off-chance that they steal a Mind Goblin. To make it equivalent to how it works with stickers, they would need some rules text like:

How much mana Mind Goblin can create is public information before the game, neither on reveal or on resolution do that

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One of the easier mechanical options for MTGO would be something like:

quote:

When Mind Goblin enters the battlefield, sacrifice a "Mind Goblin Name Sticker" emblem in the command zone. If you do, add X red mana to your mana pool, where X is that emblem's value.
And then at the start of every game in every format where it's legal, create a bunch of "Mind Goblin Name Sticker" emblems for each player according to the optimal sticker sheet distribution. Regardless of whether either player is actually playing it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Jabor posted:

One of the easier mechanical options for MTGO would be something like:

And then at the start of every game in every format where it's legal, create a bunch of "Mind Goblin Name Sticker" emblems for each player according to the optimal sticker sheet distribution. Regardless of whether either player is actually playing it.

Needs the if ~ is on the battlefield rider too, but it could work

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Johnny Truant posted:

Something about mind goblin that makes some people unreasonably angry. The anger doesn’t match the power level of the card or even the effort the sticker mechanic requires of the players. It’s just pure whining.

The goblins deck is a deck that sometimes beats actual good decks when it gets a good draw. It’s very similar to a lot of busted legacy poo poo that way. It’s not the best deck in the format in paper. It’s not even in the top 5.

The sticker mechanic puts all the effort on the player playing with the mechanic. The opponent is barely included in it so it’s not like it creates inconveniences for them.

Legacy goblins has been a legacy deck for about as long as the format has existed. It has a very old niche following. It actually being a deck that make break even at a tournament is cool as gently caress.

But again,playing the deck causes a certain type of person to lose their mind. Like break them to the point of using gamer words. None of it makes sense.

https://x.com/pleasantkenobi/status/1767845994270433465?s=46&t=6TcDRv5TsjsK9hYJMKVitA

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

everyone should take everything pleasant kenobi says and gracefully and respectfully slam dunk it into the trash

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sickening posted:

But again,playing the deck causes a certain type of person to lose their mind. Like break them to the point of using gamer words. None of it makes sense.

https://x.com/pleasantkenobi/status/1767845994270433465?s=46&t=6TcDRv5TsjsK9hYJMKVitA

This is the best part of Unfinity: watching middle-aged men's brains break when faced with stickers.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I would suspect a lot of frustration from mind goblin stuff comes from the fact that there's a random element at the start of a game that determines if it's worth muxus mana or ringleader or whatever which is a pretty big swing in power.

Weirdly I've played against most dangerous gamer decks more than mind goblin

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I legit do not know how stickers are supposed to work, I've never played with Unfinity and it's been way too long since any of my Legacy decks were worth playing. Is that guy doing a bit or does using stickers in a paper tournament actually need that much stuff? What is the preferred or accepted way to play with Mind Goblin in paper?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cactrot posted:

I legit do not know how stickers are supposed to work, I've never played with Unfinity and it's been way too long since any of my Legacy decks were worth playing. Is that guy doing a bit or does using stickers in a paper tournament actually need that much stuff? What is the preferred or accepted way to play with Mind Goblin in paper?

You make a deck of 10 Sticker Sheet Cards. At the start of the game you shuffle that deck and draw 3 Sticker Sheet cards to be accessed during the game.

Whenever you play a card that says put a sticker on something, you select an appropriate sticker from one of your sticker sheets.

In the case of ______ Goblin. It prompts a name sticker, of which each sheet has 3. Once a sticker has been attached to a card it remains so for the rest of the game. There are also 3 art stickers on each sheet. Names and art can be stuck to things for free, but every card also includes ability stickers and power/toughness stickers; these cost tickets if you want to stick them to something, tickets basically being Energy.

You can only ever apply a sticker when a card prompts you to do so, which means in the context of ______ Goblin only the name stickers matter at all anyway.

When you play a sticker card, you generally can represent the sticker with any sort of valid reminder, and just have to make sure you note which stickers are used from your sticker sheet cards so you don't illegally use the same sticker twice.

In this person's case, they've made outer sleeves with every word on their 10 sticker sheet cards taped to them. As a method of remembering which ones they've used. So 30 outer sheets. They've also proxied their sticker sheet cards using the only relevant information for their deck, which 3 words are on them.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
the sticker stuff plays out heinously in paper imo

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Time posted:

It sucks massively and was a terrible un-set mechanic and a worse mechanic for an un-set to make legal in real formats, and I LIKE the last two un-sets immensely. I would have made every un-set card from Unstable legal before I would suggest something with this much fiddly physicality be printed in an un-set at all.

The rest of Unfinity is much more fun and accessible. The attractions would have been entirely fine if jank things for an un-set to make legacy legal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Time posted:

Its actually really easy but again, some are so opposed to it that you can't convince them of anything else.

I am all for just changing the card to something that doesn't require any prep work, but just banning the card is letting crybabies win.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I think the sticker stuff is a pretty neat mechanic for an unset, but it also feels like something where the idea was you play with the card once and are sort of permanently putting the sticker on there

Feels weird for it to be a constructed staple since you then need a different system of putting stickers on and taking them off like that person was doing with the sleeves. But still, a fun idea imo

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Should everyone bring a sticker deck to legacy so you don't know whether they're playing goblins or not?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

maro confirmed homophobe

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dr. Stab posted:

Should everyone bring a sticker deck to legacy so you don't know whether they're playing goblins or not?

This bit was tired when it was doing a fake storm count two decades ago.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Better to bring a sticker deck so the gobbos player who doesn't have one and has hand written the things can use a real one. I didn't mind at my old lgs but at the new one I wouldn't trust them to have written down the actual correct ones.

A guy tried to target my forests with his foil japanese surgical extraction the first time I played against him. The guy has gone to nationals and won decent size tournaments.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The only real problem I have with stickers is they’re another thing that makes paper magic different from MTGO. If the 40k cards and now the Fallout cards weren’t in limbo it would be less of a sticking point, but if Triumph hadn’t seen eternal play I don’t know that the 40k cards would’ve ever made it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Lord_Magmar posted:

It sucks massively and was a terrible un-set mechanic and a worse mechanic for an un-set to make legal in real formats, and I LIKE the last two un-sets immensely. I would have made every un-set card from Unstable legal before I would suggest something with this much fiddly physicality be printed in an un-set at all.

The rest of Unfinity is much more fun and accessible. The attractions would have been entirely fine if jank things for an un-set to make legacy legal.

I like stickers in Unfinity itself more than you, but I don't know if the best stickers in the world would be able to do the amount of peeling and resticking you'd need to do for them to work in normal formats as presented and WotC was never going to shell out for the best stickers possible.

They were making unset cards legal for the first time and they got too ambitious about which mechanics could safely translate. I can forgive them for that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The card should have just been the way it is in MODO and i am fine if they just errata. What the card does makes a deck that I dearly love viable in a format of busted rear end things.

City of Traitors being on the reserved list is the crime in this situation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I like stickers in Unfinity itself more than you, but I don't know if the best stickers in the world would be able to do the amount of peeling and resticking you'd need to do for them to work in normal formats as presented and WotC was never going to shell out for the best stickers possible.

They were making unset cards legal for the first time and they got too ambitious about which mechanics could safely translate. I can forgive them for that.

In all fairness my issue with stickers isn't the mechanic it's the experience. They slowed down an already slow format by being very fiddly, and I inevitably would place them on the card badly because I have fine motor control issues in the first place and an attention to detail that makes the sticker stand out if it looks "wrong" on the card.

I also wanted more clowns, there was not nearly enough funny clown cards and Mardu Rakdos/Boros Clowns is a thing I wanted to be an actual commander deck you could make and it just isn't.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Stickers would've been more fun as permanent stickers. The design they arrived at feels like a big compromise, maybe because they wanted it to be normal set legal.

To me, the interesting part of a card sticker would be changing that card. Stickers are not something I first think of as removable, and sticking a sticker on a magic card feels almost blasphemous -- which is perfect for an unset.

Instead they made extremely obtuse and unwieldy dice roll mechanic out of it. The quality of the sticker sheets blows in any case.

If you slapped a sticker on during draft, and then from now on that card is just what it is, as if it were always printed with that text or artwork. If you take your illegal cards to commander you still just treat it like you did when you made it in draft, presumably would be a limit on stickers per card on stickers that allowed them.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The biggest problem is just the mechanic where you select sticker sheets at all. Like you can see the thought process where the designers didn't want people to know exactly what a card will do every time because that's not "fun" enough for an un-set, so they had to force people to randomize them, and bring 10 pick 3 was the easiest way to do that in a way they assumed no one would want to play any of the sticker cards in serious Magic. But bring 10 pick 3 is really the fiddliest and most obnoxious part of the mechanic for actual tournaments. If they're doing anything about the sticker cards they should probably change that rule to start with.

I don't necessarily think that removing the random element and making the goblin produce 6 mana 100% of the time (and then banning something if that's broken) is necessarily the best solution, but I do think it would remove most of the worst feeling parts from the mechanic. Of course from my point of view of how WotC would want to handle the issue, it's more likely they ban the goblin in legacy entirely over changing the rule. And if they do change the rule the most likely outcome would still be banning the goblin entirely for being overpowered with guaranteed 6 mana.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Lord_Magmar posted:

In all fairness my issue with stickers isn't the mechanic it's the experience. They slowed down an already slow format by being very fiddly, and I inevitably would place them on the card badly because I have fine motor control issues in the first place and an attention to detail that makes the sticker stand out if it looks "wrong" on the card.

I also wanted more clowns, there was not nearly enough funny clown cards and Mardu Rakdos/Boros Clowns is a thing I wanted to be an actual commander deck you could make and it just isn't.

Yeah, that sucks. Just brings the Commander shuffling problem to formats with smaller decks and fewer people to take turns while someone shuffles if it doesn't matter, when you think about it. Sorry you have to deal with it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah, that sucks. Just brings the Commander shuffling problem to formats with smaller decks and fewer people to take turns while someone shuffles if it doesn't matter, when you think about it. Sorry you have to deal with it.

Returning them to the sheet was way worse than applying them. But even the latter would feel a bit like playing with potential damage.

I can handle cards in general fine, but the stickers were way too fragile and small for what the gameplay around them involved.

Plus they were the major reason to collect tickets, which felt mis-placed to me as far as mechanics and flavour matching.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://magic.wizards.com/en/unresources
Legacy players do not have to use actual stickers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/unresources
Legacy players do not have to use actual stickers

You are going to get someone arguing that sticker generation isn't fair or something and cause a big rear end judge call.