Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What’s the thread consensus on UPS drivers? They’re good union workers and I find them to be a lot more pedestrian considerate than the fed ex and amazon scabs

They're the shittiest jerks here in Canada, the Purolator folks are much more pleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

SimonSays posted:

the Purolator folks are much more pleasant

if only they could extend that same courtesy to actually delivering my package and not making me go 10km to an industrial park underserved by public transit to pick it up

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Package delivery by bike is super inefficient because the carrying capacity is so low. For internet shopping delivery, it really doesn't make sense outside of very high density residential areas.
Of course, the real solution is to consume less and also have centralised pick up stations instead of front door delivery.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BonHair posted:

Package delivery by bike is super inefficient because the carrying capacity is so low. For internet shopping delivery, it really doesn't make sense outside of very high density residential areas.
Of course, the real solution is to consume less and also have centralised pick up stations instead of front door delivery.

It’s funny. We had a thing for “centralized pick up” of goods

It was called the store

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It was called the store

my local grocery store used to do that but their postal counter closed so i'm out of luck :(

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

BonHair posted:

is this true even with those trailers they can haul? either way if lots of NYC doesn’t fit the bill of “super high density” I guess nowhere does.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It was called the store

you can still do that, they even carry it out to your car!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

you can still do that, they even carry it out to your car!

I can’t, because I have severe acute agoraphobia that triggers when I’m too lazy to be at a place

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It was called the store

I think about this sometimes also

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

sat on my keys! posted:

is this true even with those trailers they can haul? either way if lots of NYC doesn’t fit the bill of “super high density” I guess nowhere does.

I used to deliver mail by cargo bike in central Copenhagen. Those boxes took up so much space. Especially the ones for the wig maker. And I only got reasonable size stuff under 2kg. I guess NYC could work with nice delivery though, but you still need bulk transport to locations every like 10 kilometers.

Also yeah, stores are good, but for niche stuff I like that I can order to a package pick-up machine and swing by on my bike on the way home. Seems a lot less wasteful than having someone go all the way to my house.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

BonHair posted:

Also yeah, stores are good, but for niche stuff I like that I can order to a package pick-up machine and swing by on my bike on the way home. Seems a lot less wasteful than having someone go all the way to my house.

Car or bike, it seems a lot less wasteful to make one optimized trip to drop off packages for a large number of people than all of those people individually modifying their trips or taking extra trips to pick up those packages.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

my bony fealty posted:

lesbians need big truck too

subaru has several audiences depending on sku, in the pnw for some reason the more popular brand used by lgbtq is vw.

like the forester is 100% guaranteed to be a tailgating rear end in a top hat also probably lifted, the wrx/impreza will be decked out in rgb and vaping.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That'sa lotta car words

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

BonHair posted:

I used to deliver mail by cargo bike in central Copenhagen. Those boxes took up so much space. Especially the ones for the wig maker. And I only got reasonable size stuff under 2kg. I guess NYC could work with nice delivery though, but you still need bulk transport to locations every like 10 kilometers.

Lucky you, there's things like that if you really want with the Amazon storage lockers at grocery stores, drug stores, etc.

Many people just want these things delivered to their homes, and it's especially convenient for bigger or bulkier things that might otherwise encourage people to make a car trip for.

Think of delivery trucks as the buses of packages if that makes you feel better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Celexi posted:

subaru has several audiences depending on sku, in the pnw for some reason the more popular brand used by lgbtq is vw.

like the forester is 100% guaranteed to be a tailgating rear end in a top hat also probably lifted, the wrx/impreza will be decked out in rgb and vaping.

The noble outback on the other is still proudly driven by flannel wearing lesbians and people bound and determined to drive no faster than the speed limit (me)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

graphics card drivers for example

You say that, until an update comes out and suddenly the game that you've been playing without problems for a month stops working and you have to try to figure out how to roll back the drivers and stop them auto-updating but then remember to turn updates back on later because something else doesn't work right.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

graphics card drivers for example

I updated my drivers last month for Enshrouded and it took out my secondary display and I had to roll it back

ADAB

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Strip mall with empty parking lot towed my car because I left it here and get on a city bus. Apparently they “forgot” you’re allowed to do this.”

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.tampabay.com/news/crime/2024/03/11/st-petersburg-fatal-crash-pinellas-state-attorney/

Prosecutors have dismissed the criminal case against a man police arrested on two charges of vehicular homicide after he ran a red light and killed two people in St. Petersburg late last year.

Owen Gardner Whittaker, 21, was arrested the day of the Dec. 9 crash on Fourth Street North at 72nd Avenue North.

The police say that the driver involved in this double-fatal crash was going 72 mph in a 45-mph zone when he ran a red light and killed two people.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I assume some bribes were exchanged.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nitrousoxide posted:

I assume some bribes were exchanged.

lol that you think this requires bribery in the US

quote:

“My assessment was, it’s a tragic incident where two people got killed but it was an accident,” Bartlett said. “There was some excessive speed, over the speed limit, but no more than most people drive down the road.”

Bartlett said he didn’t feel Whittaker deserved to face 10 or more years in prison for running a red light. He added that Whittaker was an “exemplary student in school,” had just started his own business and had taken the Uber Eats job to earn extra money.

if you want to murder someone in America, hit them with your car, stay at the scene, and say it was an accident

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
sure he broke the law, he was going over the speed limit, he ran a red light, and he killed a guy - but is that a reason to ruin his life? the alive guy i mean not the guy who died, obviously.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

see if you can guess the race of the perpetrator and the race(s) of the victims too

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Life is cheap in the Occident

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

heated game moment posted:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/crime/2024/03/11/st-petersburg-fatal-crash-pinellas-state-attorney/

Prosecutors have dismissed the criminal case against a man police arrested on two charges of vehicular homicide after he ran a red light and killed two people in St. Petersburg late last year.

Owen Gardner Whittaker, 21, was arrested the day of the Dec. 9 crash on Fourth Street North at 72nd Avenue North.

The police say that the driver involved in this double-fatal crash was going 72 mph in a 45-mph zone when he ran a red light and killed two people.

Prosecutor: “My assessment was, it’s a tragic incident where two people got killed but it was an accident,” Bartlett said. “There was some excessive speed, over the speed limit, but no more than most people drive down the road.

people regularly drive 27mph over the speed limit and there's nothing this law guy can see wrong with that or that there might be anything wrong with that exact thing leading to two deaths.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mauser posted:

Prosecutor: “My assessment was, it’s a tragic incident where two people got killed but it was an accident,” Bartlett said. “There was some excessive speed, over the speed limit, but no more than most people drive down the road.

people regularly drive 27mph over the speed limit and there's nothing this law guy can see wrong with that or that there might be anything wrong with that exact thing leading to two deaths.

You’ll note that he completely ignores the whole running of the red light part

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

see if you can guess the race of the perpetrator and the race(s) of the victims too

:hmmyes:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

sure he was going 30 over the speed limit, and sure he ran a red light, and sure he killed two people -- but should we really send someone to prison over such minor lapses in judgment?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AND he's already pled no contest to careless driving citation a year and a half ago. But, this is just a first-time offense and it would be unfair to him.

I still think this is a bribery thing. DeSantis's admin is kind of notoriously corrupt.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/gra...BGT3AX2EDRTSUU/

The driver of a Ram 2500 Kindermulcher crossed the center line on a two lane road here and caused a catastrophic crash that killed a woman and closed the road and an adjacent rail line for four hours. anyway

quote:

According to Channel 11 sources, the woman driving the truck was highly intoxicated at the time of the crash.

Sources say, the woman is a former City of Pittsburgh medic and was let go from that position for showing up to work drunk this past fall.

Channel 11 is not identifying the driver by her name, because at this point, she has not been charged.

Channel 11 has reached out to Pittsburgh police to find out the latest in this investigation, and if this woman will be charged. At this point, we have not received a response.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Woah, way to make assumptions! Who's to say anything was perpetrated? A thing happened, but who's to say someone did it? It was just an accident!

Anyway, a BMW in my work parking lot is actually high viz yellow. I'm pretty sure traffic safety has been solved now.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
'

Locally, someone got killed Monday afternoon driving drunk and crossing into oncoming traffic

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2024/03/13/another-pedestrian-killed-by-a-truck-driver-no-charge-for-fatal-crash

Killing a woman making an illegal turn: I sleep

Disorderly conduct warrant from 2013: real poo poo

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

City is dropping speed limits to 40km downtown*. Lower would be better, pedestrianisation would be best, but I'm still calling this an epic win

*exceptions for the two busiest and coincidentally most pedestrian dangerous streets lmfao

Apr 7, 2003

sat on my keys! posted:

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2024/03/13/another-pedestrian-killed-by-a-truck-driver-no-charge-for-fatal-crash

Killing a woman making an illegal turn: I sleep

Disorderly conduct warrant from 2013: real poo poo

loving mental

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

there’s something hilarious about meat grinding pedestrians while driving a F750 with “department of environmental protection” on it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

heated game moment posted:

Putin stays winning

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/gra...BGT3AX2EDRTSUU/

The driver of a Ram 2500 Kindermulcher crossed the center line on a two lane road here and caused a catastrophic crash that killed a woman and closed the road and an adjacent rail line for four hours. anyway
https://aacriminallaw.com/the-most-common-vehicles-for-drunk-driving-arrests/

quote:

about one in every 22 Dodge Ram 2500 drivers has a drunk driving conviction on their record. The national average is one in 56 drivers, meaning Dodge Ram 2500 drivers are more than twice as likely to have a DUI conviction on their record compared to all other drivers on the road.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2024/03/12/jersey-company-involved-in-two-fatal-crashes-has-many-violations-yet-almost-no-punishment

quote:

The New Jersey company whose 30,000-pound dump truck has been linked to two fatal pedestrian crashes in six months has received more than 60 tickets for reckless driving in the city, yet has faced just a tiny fine for its unsafe equipment and its drivers' long record of speeding and running red lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003