Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Ojjeorago posted:

Oathbringer spoilers:Radiant (who is later revealed to be the real physical Shallan who is Illuminating a fake Shallan because that girl is messed up) is wearing Plate at the Battle of Thaylen Field. Her and Jasnah both are 4th Ideal and trying to hide it at the end of Oathbringer.

Wait... Correct me if I'm wrong because that is not how I interpreted(mainly Oathbringer spoilers but also touches on RoW) are you saying that "Shallan" is one of her personalities and "Radiant" is the true personality? And that instead of just a lightweaving of Radiant in armor on Thaylen field she was actually wearing armor and Shallan was the illusion? Because that isn't how I took it. I get that she resolved the personality issue at end of RoW and I can buy that she is actually 4th ideal but saying that she used the actual armor at Thaylen field instead of just lightweaving it seems incorrect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ojjeorago posted:

Oathbringer spoilers:Radiant (who is later revealed to be the real physical Shallan who is Illuminating a fake Shallan because that girl is messed up) is wearing Plate at the Battle of Thaylen Field. Her and Jasnah both are 4th Ideal and trying to hide it at the end of Oathbringer.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Wait... Correct me if I'm wrong because that is not how I interpreted(mainly Oathbringer spoilers but also touches on RoW) are you saying that "Shallan" is one of her personalities and "Radiant" is the true personality? And that instead of just a lightweaving of Radiant in armor on Thaylen field she was actually wearing armor and Shallan was the illusion? Because that isn't how I took it. I get that she resolved the personality issue at end of RoW and I can buy that she is actually 4th ideal but saying that she used the actual armor at Thaylen field instead of just lightweaving it seems incorrect

Continued Oathbringer.

My original take on this was that Shallan was obviously the real one of the three in that POV where Radiant is wearing Shardplate, and I still think that's probably true, but Brandon is really being tricky here.

quote:

Shallan gasped. Forming from mist was . . . was Veil? With long straight black hair, white clothing, brown eyes. Wiser than Shallan—and more focused. Capable of working on small pieces when Shallan grew overwhelmed by the large scale of her work.

Another hand took Shallan’s on the right. Radiant, in glowing garnet Shardplate, tall, with braided hair. Reserved and cautious. She nodded to Shallan with a steady, determined look.

Veil forms from mist, but Radiant is just there. But the POV is clearly from Shallan. And, is Radiant's Shardplate real, or a Lightweaving? Possibly real, to help give the illusion form more easily?

Then later on when Jasnah comes up to the three of them there is no mention of Shallan's Shardplate, illusion or not, but Radiant is definitely the physically real one at that point. It's very annoying because nothing in the text is 100% proof either way.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

No, he's saying that Radiant has the body at that moment -- Shallan and Veil are "there" because all three are working together throughout the entire battle, but they poof away when the illusions run out because their bodies were just lightweaved.

And I never noticed that Radiant had Plate in that scene. lol and lmao if Shallan has had Plate already and was just mentally blocking it out.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

CapnAndy posted:

No, he's saying that Radiant has the body at that moment -- Shallan and Veil are "there" because all three are working together throughout the entire battle, but they poof away when the illusions run out because their bodies were just lightweaved.

And I never noticed that Radiant had Plate in that scene. lol and lmao if Shallan has had Plate already and was just mentally blocking it out.

Oathbringer

At the beginning of the battle Shallan is clearly POVing, and Radiant has Shardplate. At the end of the fight Radiant is the physically real one but there is no mention of Shardplate. Brandon is being really sneaky.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I did not catch that detail and it is indeed very sneaky

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

pik_d posted:

Oathbringer

At the beginning of the battle Shallan is clearly POVing, and Radiant has Shardplate. At the end of the fight Radiant is the physically real one but there is no mention of Shardplate. Brandon is being really sneaky.

True, but there's also this bit earlier in Oathbringer that I think sets it up:

Oathbringer Chapter 15 posted:

He grinned. “You said that Jasnah was a Radiant too. Women, gaining Shardblades. It’s weird, but it’s not like we can ignore it. What about Plate? Do you have that hidden somewhere too?”

“Not that I know of,” she said. Her heart was beating quickly, her skin growing cold, her muscles tense. She fought against the sensation. “I don’t know where Plate comes from.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ojjeorago posted:

True, but there's also this bit earlier in Oathbringer that I think sets it up:

OK yeah that seems pretty clear that she's lying to him and herself.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Regarding plate (through RoW): It doesn't really matter what oath Shallan is at, as we don't know when Lightweavers get plate (or blade for that matter). We've only seen 2 orders get blades and one get plate on screen, and the only other reference to getting plate in the past comes from a Windrunner. We know via Sanderson that different orders get blades at different levels, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if plate came at different levels, too.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Xenix posted:

Regarding plate (through RoW): It doesn't really matter what oath Shallan is at, as we don't know when Lightweavers get plate (or blade for that matter). We've only seen 2 orders get blades and one get plate on screen, and the only other reference to getting plate in the past comes from a Windrunner. We know via Sanderson that different orders get blades at different levels, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if plate came at different levels, too.

Four books in and we hardly know who gets what when, lmao

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
And I'm sure it was heavily planned to be that way!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

four books later we find out that stonewards get ten shardblades at the first oath

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

81sidewinder posted:

Just finished Words of Radiance part 3 - folks, I am hooting and hollering. Was yelling in the car during my audiobook listen like I had a football game on.

I knew it would be Kalladin coming in to save the day for Adolin, but it was still a blockbuster moment. Kalladin gets owned again, does the right thing but ends up in jail. So excited to see where this goes.

Finished WoR, and Really enjoyed Kalladin and Shallan getting some time together, even though how we got there felt a little forced. Still hoping those crazy kids get together.

Adolin being brought forward has been a cool element added, and him killing Sadeus was a great payoff.

As great as parts 4 and 5 were, none of the big moments in the end of the book were quite as perfect as Kalladin hopping into the duel - that was still my favorite part.

Fired up about Jasnah coming back, always enjoyed her character. Glad it was the stinger at the end of the book instead of holding out until book 3

81sidewinder posted:

Finished The Way of Kings earlier this week.

Predictions -

1. Dalinar's visions are obviously the 'big bad' of the story, and are probably the underlying threat going on while the people jockey for position in the worlds of men. Bringing back the Knights Radiant is a books-long story and it's probably going to pay off in book 5.

2. Shallan and Kaladin have a romance that is complicated by their roles in the conflict. When they ultimately get together, it will be a great moment.

3. Szeth is the Han Solo/Lan Mandragoron of the story. He continues to be a tortured badass and ultimately joins the heroes.

4. The truth about Dalinar's wife rocks the heroes in a big way - his relationship with either Adolin or Navani is dramatically altered when we learn the truth

5. Elhokar is likely to die pretty quickly to create a power vacuum

Going to hold by most of these, I think. :dumb:

1.I think this was pretty explicitly correct by the end of WoR, excited to see how we get all ten different Knights, and who they are. Obviously, some of them are people from the story we have already met. Feeling like some interlude characters are a fit for this. Lift seems particularly likely, since her interlude really didn't play into the rest of the story yet.

2. Still holding out for this. Kal, Shallan and Adolin becoming a throuple is obviously not happening, but is where my mind goes after coming off of Wheel of Time.

3. Still feel strongly about this, especially after his breakthrough at the end of WoR. He's obviously going to be significant. Either joining the heroes or getting much worse and becoming one of the main antagonists.

4. Since we have already gotten the Kalladin and Shallan flashbacks focused on in the first two books, I think we are due for this. Feel very strongly that there is something sinister in those erased memories.

5. Didn't explicitly say this in the last post, but I thought Elhokar dying would be like a part 1 event and they picked up the pieces later. Things are obviously going in a different direction, since Dallinar is essentially king now already. Redemption arc for Elhokar? Really don't see how he fits in now as a lame duck

Going to take a break before Oathbringer, will sneak Edgedancer in there somewhere before I start.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Just wanted to say keep posting theories. As always you're right on some, way off on others, and it's great to experience the books again for the first time, even vicariously

:allears:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

OK yeah that seems pretty clear that she's lying to him and herself.
Goddammit, Shallan, stop being crazy. It's complicating an already very complicated situation!

81sidewinder posted:

Going to hold by most of these, I think. :dumb:

1.I think this was pretty explicitly correct by the end of WoR, excited to see how we get all ten different Knights, and who they are. Obviously, some of them are people from the story we have already met. Feeling like some interlude characters are a fit for this. Lift seems particularly likely, since her interlude really didn't play into the rest of the story yet.

2. Still holding out for this. Kal, Shallan and Adolin becoming a throuple is obviously not happening, but is where my mind goes after coming off of Wheel of Time.

3. Still feel strongly about this, especially after his breakthrough at the end of WoR. He's obviously going to be significant. Either joining the heroes or getting much worse and becoming one of the main antagonists.

4. Since we have already gotten the Kalladin and Shallan flashbacks focused on in the first two books, I think we are due for this. Feel very strongly that there is something sinister in those erased memories.

5. Didn't explicitly say this in the last post, but I thought Elhokar dying would be like a part 1 event and they picked up the pieces later. Things are obviously going in a different direction, since Dallinar is essentially king now already. Redemption arc for Elhokar? Really don't see how he fits in now as a lame duck

These are good guesses. Be sure to come back and check them again at the end of Oathbringer, I think you're going to be surprised for a great many reasons. Also, regarding #2 and not a spoiler, Sanderson is too much of a Mormon to actually make a throuple, but it's a very popular desire in the fandom. Okay now this is a spoiler, don't read this bit, but people who've read through RoW or are pretty confident about Shallan's whole deal can click it: I badly want to ask him if he's picked up on Shallan being bi. It's not really obvious until RoW, when Veil is being hilariously open about what sort of girls she wants to be loving.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm dodging black bars like Neo dodges bullets.

I just wanted to say - I loving love how video-gamey Brandon's stuff is.

Also - from what I've gathered from the books and from fringes of conversations here, the "oaths" that Radiants take are not all created equal?

Regardless, I think it's hilarious and awesome in a "Oh you're the Windrunner class? Once you reach <x> oath, you get to fly" and poo poo like that.

Also, my wife just reached the end of part 2 of TWoK. So far Dalinar is her favorite (because of course). She likes Kaladin. She really likes Navani. She liked Jasnah, the little she's been around thus far. She doesn't like Adolin (and to be fair, Adolin hasn't had a chance to shine yet).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

Goddammit, Shallan, stop being crazy. It's complicating an already very complicated situation!

These are good guesses. Be sure to come back and check them again at the end of Oathbringer, I think you're going to be surprised for a great many reasons. Also, regarding #2 and not a spoiler, Sanderson is too much of a Mormon to actually make a throuple, but it's a very popular desire in the fandom. Okay now this is a spoiler, don't read this bit, but people who've read through RoW or are pretty confident about Shallan's whole deal can click it: I badly want to ask him if he's picked up on Shallan being bi. It's not really obvious until RoW, when Veil is being hilariously open about what sort of girls she wants to be loving.

Sanderson has consistently been on the side of inclusion and while his faith is a legitimate issue he's also been an advocate within that faith of being more inclusive. Just in the time I've read him he's gone from "unable to do more than allude to the idea of a hetero married couple having sex in the vaguest terms" to (extremely minor events) two characters, one of them a hundreds-year-old shapeshifter, missing a major gunfight because they were knocking boots purely for fun. Said couple is also explicitly into kinky-ish stuff like BDSM and role play, which is both funny and totally in-character for them. He also has differently-abled people like Rysn for paraplegia, Kaladin for major-depressive disorder, Shallan with a (fantasy version of) disassociative identity disorder, Renarin and Steris for autism, themselves more successful versions of his attempts to include his personal autistic friend as Adien back in Elantris.

Regarding Stormlight Archives, we've been told one way or another that (possible spoilers for whole series) Jasnah is mostly asexual but doesn't mind for a romantic relationship, Renarin and Rlain are at least gay, Shallan wasn't originally intended to be bisexual but she's taken that role now, and in Vorinism homosexuality isn't generally a big deal

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Sanderson has consistently been on the side of inclusion and while his faith is a legitimate issue he's also been an advocate within that faith of being more inclusive.
Oh sure, dude is a major ally who responds enthusiastically to criticism and it's frankly adorable watching him grow over time, like how Dawnshard has "members of the disabled community have talked to me and I learned so much" just leaping off of the page. It wasn't meant at all as a pejorative. I just think a throuple is right in one of his blind spots; he believes very strongly in the sanctity of marriage.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brando has issues differentiating admiration and arousal

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tunicate posted:

Brando has issues differentiating admiration and arousal

I mean, same

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

CapnAndy posted:

Oh sure, dude is a major ally who responds enthusiastically to criticism and it's frankly adorable watching him grow over time, like how Dawnshard has "members of the disabled community have talked to me and I learned so much" just leaping off of the page. It wasn't meant at all as a pejorative. I just think a throuple is right in one of his blind spots; he believes very strongly in the sanctity of marriage.

shouldn’t polyamory appeal to his Mormonism

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

rafikki posted:

shouldn’t polyamory appeal to his Mormonism

i suspect mainline Mormons probably have a lot more opinions about polygamy than most people do, considering it is responsible for a literal schism in their faith and a bunch of radical far-right separatist groups that exist solely to continue patriarchal domination they are denied by the orthodox church

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Polyandry would be a pretty interesting challenge to those sorts

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Early Oathbringer - Dalinar mentions the Unmade. Am I missing when that term got introduced? I don’t remember it and I don’t know where Dalinar learned it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
First mentioned the WoK chapter 45 epigraph as folklore, only mention in the book. Four Epigraphs in WoR, and twice used as a curse word.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

First mentioned the WoK chapter 45 epigraph as folklore, only mention in the book. Four Epigraphs in WoR, and twice used as a curse word.

I guess I’m curious why Dalinar mentions them as part of Odium’s forces. I have no idea what they are or how they connect to Odium or how Dalinar knows either of those things. I think he said something like “We need to stand against the voidbringers and the unmade” or something like that.

He saw Odium’s champion in the vision. But I just don’t know when or how whatever the Unmade are became part of the conversation.

Edit - nevermind. It seems during the vision Dalinar had of Odium’s champion, the Stormfather mentioned the nine shadows being the Unmade. I just didn’t remember that since it was such a brief mention.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 12, 2024

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

eke out posted:

i suspect mainline Mormons probably have a lot more opinions about polygamy than most people do, considering it is responsible for a literal schism in their faith and a bunch of radical far-right separatist groups that exist solely to continue patriarchal domination they are denied by the orthodox church

This was my thought. No Mormon wants to go there

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

81sidewinder posted:

This was my thought. No Mormon wants to go there

Yeah no matter what he was before he will instantly become the "mormon guy who puts polygamy in his books" Dude's come a long way but he doesn't want to be that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Anyone who wanted to see the plushies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ihr7hMl7JY

Edit: Brandon mentioned about Secret Project 5, that some people have guessed it correctly, so I'm making big eyes at a Sixth of the Dusk sequel.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 12, 2024

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

pik_d posted:

Edit: Brandon mentioned about Secret Project 5, that some people have guessed it correctly, so I'm making big eyes at a Sixth of the Dusk sequel.

He shared a reading from that a while ago so I don't think it'd count as a secret.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Oathbringer Chapter 6-7 - Kaladin decking Roshone and then ordering everyone around was very good and this is the Kaladin I want to see more. What a world of difference when Kaladin realizes how small and insignificant Roshone truly is.

:dudsmile:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mordiceius posted:

Oathbringer Chapter 6-7 - Kaladin decking Roshone and then ordering everyone around was very good and this is the Kaladin I want to see more. What a world of difference when Kaladin realizes how small and insignificant Roshone truly is.

:dudsmile:

We all love when a character gets their poo poo together after 2100 pages

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Kaladin - Pisces
Shallan - Gemini
Dalinar - Taurus
Adolin - Leo
Navani - Virgo
Jasnah - Aquarius
Sadeas - Scorpio
Wit - Sagittarius
Lift - Aries

No I will not be taking questions.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Too bad, my question is what does any of that actually mean

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

Too bad, my question is what does any of that actually mean

It means that I, unfortunately, have astrology brainworms

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Uhm actually I think you'll find that the Cosmere is in an entirely different dwarf galaxy/cluster and therefore

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hell I wouldn't put it past him to do an astrology based power system, different powers based on the month you were born because a different Aether was in orbit that month or whatever.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

socialsecurity posted:

Hell I wouldn't put it past him to do an astrology based power system, different powers based on the month you were born because a different Aether was in orbit that month or whatever.

*looking from my wife to the calendar, calculating days in my head* well babe, today is gently caress Day

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Just finished part 3 WoR and a bit into part 4.

End of part 3 hell yeah. Kaladin will get his day with Amaram I'm sure of it.

Part 4 I don't think this is the way to go about it though. Moash getting the shards was a mistake.

Loving this, going to speed through the rest of this and then I've got Edgedancer. Oathbringer might have to wait a couple weeks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Was Edgedancer edited post-release? I'm going through it as part of my re-read right now, and the narrators voice sounds slightly different, and there seem to be way fewer instances of "awesomeness" than I remember from last time. Overall the annoying factor seems way reduced, but I'm not sure if it's my imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Taffer posted:

Was Edgedancer edited post-release? I'm going through it as part of my re-read right now, and the narrators voice sounds slightly different, and there seem to be way fewer instances of "awesomeness" than I remember from last time. Overall the annoying factor seems way reduced, but I'm not sure if it's my imagination.

I think people complaining about it so much makes you think there is much more of it than there is.