Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FuturePastNow posted:

I think another clue is that Gaius's body is just there on the floor when you leave the instance after beating up the Ultima Weapon. It doesn't fade away which is usually the sign that someone's dead instead of just KO'd

I mean, they show him in the cutscene after lamenting his failure.

"And so my conquest ends, Cid.
In smoke and ashes..."

Everything blows up around him, and that's the last we see/hear of him until the shadowhunter reappears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I told Sanguinia this on Discord, but if this was a stream the chat would have exploded with "SUCH DEVASTATION" the second the Shadowhunter was revealed to be Gaius.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mr. Nice! posted:

In smoke and ashes..."

Everything blows up around him, and that's the last we see/hear of him until the shadowhunter reappears.

The actual undeniable clue is that during one of the final cutscenes the camera pans back to the Praetorium and shows that his body has vanished AFTER they went to great pains to show you it was lying there.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

In smoke and ashes..."

Yeah, it's part everyone forgets because it's in a cutscene that comes after what you would have seen in MSQ Roulette, but Gaius totally gets up after you leave and starts lamenting to himself like you said. The an explosion goes off and and he 'dies'.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

SirPhoebos posted:

I told Sanguinia this on Discord, but if this was a stream the chat would have exploded with "SUCH DEVASTATION" the second the Shadowhunter was revealed to be Gaius.
And of course, "It was BY DESIGN?!" is ever-green

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One thing I like about the parley scene is it's Lyse who asks the "right question" after all- Hien helps get there but it's another nice moment where she's allowed to be shrewd.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think for Varis the main thing that makes him a villain is he's given up. He cannot conceive of beating the Ascians, the fact that his entire life, his nation, his family, everything he's ever been through has been the design of some ancient person who gleefully informs him that yeah the slaughter and deaths that took place when I "unfortunately" died? That was on purpose, to cause chaos. You can step up with fire in your belly all prepared to make a difference only to effectively learn that no, no you cannot. Not only can you not make a difference, you never could. But what's he gonna do? Fight his immortal grandfather? his undead son who's meat puppeting in the other direction? He's looked at the circumstances and determined that he cannot win. There's absolutely nothing he can do to change things, all he can do is cling to it and hey, maybe at the end of it all, things will be better and right.

I mean there was a moment that was almost that for the Eorzean Alliance in ARR, when the Ultima Weapon first appeared and they were willing to bend the knee to survive. In their case they had the scions to bail them from that horrid mindset... but Varis is and was alone.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Onmi posted:

I think for Varis the main thing that makes him a villain is he's given up. He cannot conceive of beating the Ascians, the fact that his entire life, his nation, his family, everything he's ever been through has been the design of some ancient person who gleefully informs him that yeah the slaughter and deaths that took place when I "unfortunately" died? That was on purpose, to cause chaos. You can step up with fire in your belly all prepared to make a difference only to effectively learn that no, no you cannot. Not only can you not make a difference, you never could. But what's he gonna do? Fight his immortal grandfather? his undead son who's meat puppeting in the other direction? He's looked at the circumstances and determined that he cannot win. There's absolutely nothing he can do to change things, all he can do is cling to it and hey, maybe at the end of it all, things will be better and right.

I mean there was a moment that was almost that for the Eorzean Alliance in ARR, when the Ultima Weapon first appeared and they were willing to bend the knee to survive. In their case they had the scions to bail them from that horrid mindset... but Varis is and was alone.

i mean, he did try one last hail mary. maybe, just maybe, through words and reason he could outmaneuver grandpa and all the horrible slaughter he had planned.

except whoops, guess who provided you with your words and reason, junior

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The thing is, the WoL could totally save Garlemald. Ascians are nothing new and it's not like their plans are hard to unravel. With the assistance of the Garleans they could dismantle the empire and put them on a peaceful path which would derail the ascians plans.

The problem is that Varies still believes in the Garlean philosophy and would never bend the knee.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kwyndig posted:

The thing is, the WoL could totally save Garlemald. Ascians are nothing new and it's not like their plans are hard to unravel. With the assistance of the Garleans they could dismantle the empire and put them on a peaceful path which would derail the ascians plans.

The problem is that Varies still believes in the Garlean philosophy and would never bend the knee.

you perhaps understand why Varis, the guy whose entire motivation is "the horrors of the civil war must not be repeated," might be reluctant to kick off an immediate, bloody, fractal civil war, and that's before you factor in that Gramps would have been able to twist that to his ends -immediately.-

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you perhaps understand why Varis, the guy whose entire motivation is "the horrors of the civil war must not be repeated,"

I really don't see where you get this from.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Like I argued a ways back: between the civil war to ascend to the throne and then losing two of their most important provinces in quick succession (and sparking off more revolts), Varis presumably doesn’t have the political capital back home to do literally anything except go on the warpath now. “Join me, or we shall crush your nations” is legitimately the most diplomatic he can get without seriously risking a second civil war with the factions that would see him as a weak groveler.

As it turns out, “Be Strong, or I Will” as a societal ethos really boxes in their options for getting anything done.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I feel like if there's a lesson to be learned from Thordan is that people who collaborate with Ascians know more than they're letting on. It's not clear how many people know how compromised Varis is, but Gaius doesn't seem inclined to think the man is an Ascian servant. And for that matter Regula didn't either.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Craptacular! posted:

I feel like if there's a lesson to be learned from Thordan is that people who collaborate with Ascians know more than they're letting on. It's not clear how many people know how compromised Varis is, but Gaius doesn't seem inclined to think the man is an Ascian servant. And for that matter Regula didn't either.

In all fairness, it seems Varis has only just (Zenos being puppeted and grandpa coming back) been made privy to the Ascian Influence on Garlemald.

There's no reason for Regula (who died before Zenos) or Gaius (who has been mia since ARR) to think Varis would do such a thing.

Gaius also appears to have ended up as a political issue near the end of Solus life. Solus is the one who supported the Meteor project (and now we know why), which Gaius stood against. But Gaius position is in part because of Solus supporting him most his life until that point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Varis didn't seem to be phased at all by Solus showing up, or by his dead son's return as a meat puppet. He certainly wasn't privy to the full details of the Ascians' true plan all along but I think he must have grown up with some level of awareness of the nature of his family.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, if Zenos was being worn by Elibius, then yes Varis was phased by that reveal.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

grandalt posted:

Well, if Zenos was being worn by Elibius, then yes Varis was phased by that reveal.

Yeah he was pretty pissed about that, he probably knew it could happen (I imagine they got the info from Ivy who knew about what happened with Thancred). But he did not seem happy/accepting of the situation and had to be talked into going with it by Elidibus.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's hard to read Varis's reactions in that cutscene in this light. On one hand, Zenos was probably his best weapon against the ascians, and his loss caused Varis to try to appeal to the PC. However, he also calls Zenos a monster, right after Elidibus talks about Zenos as a "valuable test subject", so he possibly thought his son was lost anyway the moment that resonant poo poo started.

It's also worth nothing that even if Gaius had returned alive to Garlemald, he had been collaborating with Lahabrea, and in 1.0 Cid mocks Gaius as Solus's lapdog, so Varis probably would have had him 'eliminated' even if he had to publicly pin it on the number of losses they've been taking since the loss of their dreadnaught in Mor Dhona. The irony is that both Varis and Gaius want the same thing, one is just a bit more aware of how difficult the task is going to be. On the other hand, at least Gaius seems to have a more stable playbook than "let's kill billions and find out."

Twin dooms, indeed.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 13, 2024

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

My personal take is that Varis at least knew that Solus was an Ascian by the the old man died, because that would explain why he spit on the coffin and why he started doing weirdo experiments to clone grandpa's corpse.

Also, the final chapter is nearly ready. It may be among the finest work I've ever done for this LP but I need to take one last editing pass at it with fresh eyes to see if I can trim it down or if I need a small Epilogue post to discuss the post-credit scenes and my final thoughts on the expansion as a whole. Please look forward to it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Eeeeeeeeee very excited.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
All of this discussion about Solus and Varis just made me imagine Solus backseating Varis in how to commit war crimes and how when he was Varis' age, he was violating Geneva convention on way more continents.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

All of this discussion about Solus and Varis just made me imagine Solus backseating Varis in how to commit war crimes and how when he was Varis' age, he was violating Geneva convention on way more continents.

Isn't this basically their discussion about Black Rose in a nutshell?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I think splitting things up is fine, there is a lot of stuff in this final stretch, especially if you add in your general thoughts about the expansion.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lines posted:

Eeeeeeeeee very excited.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sanguinia posted:

Also, the final chapter is nearly ready. It may be among the finest work I've ever done for this LP but I need to take one last editing pass at it with fresh eyes to see if I can trim it down or if I need a small Epilogue post to discuss the post-credit scenes and my final thoughts on the expansion as a whole. Please look forward to it.

Throw wide the gates. Let eon become instant.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Huh. You know, you might be right.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Sanguinia posted:

We need a combination of the :f5: and :munch: smileys.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Sanguinia posted:

My personal take is that Varis at least knew that Solus was an Ascian by the the old man died, because that would explain why he spit on the coffin and why he started doing weirdo experiments to clone grandpa's corpse.

Varis knowing about the Ascians also means that the Resonance project takes on a whole new meaning, since he would have been very aware of how the Ascians used the Echo. If he, say, captured an Ascian like Elidibus or his grandfather and hooked them up to the Echo-copying machine...Well. He'd have an actually practical use for those Solus clones, wouldn't he?

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 13, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GilliamYaeger posted:

Varis knowing about the Ascians also means that the Resonance project takes on a whole new meaning, since he would have been very aware of how the Ascians used the Echo. If he, say, captured an Ascian like Elidibus or his grandfather and hooked them up to the Echo-copying machine...Well. He'd have an actually practical use for those Solus clones, wouldn't he?

Capturing an Ascian and hooking them up to the SOUL EXTRACTION machine seems like the kind of plan that would sound very cool to Varis, but an outside observer could tell right away that it's doomed to failure.

I guess it kinda worked that way for Thordan, under a different set of circumstances. But we all know how well that turned out for him in the end.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Infected posted:

I think splitting things up is fine, there is a lot of stuff in this final stretch, especially if you add in your general thoughts about the expansion.

Yeah, same, you've already been pushing the limits of a single post, and Ghimlyt through to post-credits on 4.5 is a whole loving lot. I wouldn't mind if it ends up being two posts you post simultaneously, as a lot of this LP has helped put a lot more of what I played into perspective or highlighted angles I glossed over.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Monathin posted:

Yeah, same, you've already been pushing the limits of a single post, and Ghimlyt through to post-credits on 4.5 is a whole loving lot. I wouldn't mind if it ends up being two posts you post simultaneously, as a lot of this LP has helped put a lot more of what I played into perspective or highlighted angles I glossed over.

This is pretty much the same thought I had. Splitting it into 2 back-to-back posts is a great idea. You basically get double the character count to say what you need/want, and no stress of hitting the limit and having to trim things.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I think there's another angle to Varis being kinda trapped. They weren't alone in that throne room. A bunch of guards were present for Elidibus and Solus' spiels. The garlean elite, at least in the palace seem to be somewhat in on the secret. It's an open question how much of the very top of the Garlean hierarchy would even follow Varis if he moved against ghost Solus. Like his personal guard and maybe some legates and other powerful people could be taking Ascian marching orders directly.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Lord_Magmar posted:

No, that one was "I'm proud of you, grandson. You finally found an atrocity I hadn't considered! Imma use it."

And then Varis goes "What was that?" and Solus goes "Nothing, nothing, don't worry about it." Solus is definitely a thespian, he plays to the balconies even when he's saying the quiet part.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Sanguinia posted:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm pleasing looking forwarding to it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kerrzhe posted:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Yeah count me as another waiting eagerly for the update. If it slams into two posts, that's more then fine!

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

Me very much also, please and thankyou, yes yes.

Also, two posts would be just fine, in case there's any doubt. Ghimlyt and the aftermath... It's a lot, as has already been noted.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Me getting ready for Sanguinia's next update:

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Sanguinia posted:

It may be among the finest work I've ever done for this LP ...

Finest work so far.