Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I think the game auto-progressed me after dying like 5 times to the absolutely awful ying-yang fight when in the solo cait-sith section which is by far, the worst part of the game yet and my overall impressions of the game from golden saucer to cosmo canyon absolutely cratered only to pick up again after reaching that point, too much poo poo poo poo that competes with the good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really don't get the hatred for playing as Cait Sith. You just dodge and attack for magic attacks and call moogle for smashy normals/offtank. All the tools are right there to smash up the baddies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ I think it's mainly that, at least when you first get him, his gameplay is very passive. All you do in most shorter fights is summon the moogle and throw dice. And you also keep mistakenly getting off the moogle when you dodge (or at least I did). But he's quite effective. The moogle makes him tanky and most of the dice effects are good.

Dynamic difficulty has been fine so far. Doesn't seem too much harder than Normal. I think the biggest difference might be that it'd be very hard to win fights on Dynamic if you ignored important mechanics, while on Normal you could probably just brute force things while healing constantly. At least now I can feel confident that I don't totally suck.

Also, Refocus is amazing and I feel bad for not using it before. It makes it so easy to rapidly build up your next Synergy Ability, plus getting off tons of skills during Stagger.

Edit: It'd be neat to go back in time to like 1999 and show people this game

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 13, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

I really don't get the hatred for playing as Cait Sith. You just dodge and attack for magic attacks and call moogle for smashy normals/offtank. All the tools are right there to smash up the baddies.

cait is a wrecking ball when he gets going but he needs his moogle to do serious damage, and unlike tifa's unbridled wrath, the enemy can beat that out of him, and you need to babysit him a lot more to get the full potential out of his moveset. he's not great at building ATB in his default state, so especially zippy or aggressive enemies will beat the stuffing out of him before he can regain momentum. most of his techniques are also kind of unconventional, and not just the ones that literally rely on chance

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm sure that segment will be better on Hard Mode when I give him a Haste accessory

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arist posted:

I'm sure that segment will be better on Hard Mode when I give him a Haste accessory

I just gave him ATB materia and was using the megaphone with no materia lol. I bashed everything's brains in and cast regen on myself. Mashed the correct magic/physical attacks until I got a stagger and used my limit. I was mentally prepared for hell but it was really straightforward and made me like the cat. He's got moves.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The thread spoiled me on his voice changing but Red XIII is a dork now and I hate it

Though during his section I used his level 2 limit break and did 9999 damage for the first time so maybe I'll stop making him a bench warmer

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I have Cait Sith with the scarf and a first strike so he starts every battle with his trusty steed

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I find Cait Sith surprisingly fun to play. I didn't expect to enjoy him but I really do. I have him with a First Strike materia and a Whistlewind Scarf so he can just summon his moogle immediately, and from there he's a wrecking ball.

edit lol beaten

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Red XIII is a dork now

he is a quadrupedal animal who decided to ride a chocobo

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the characters play real well. Red can be a bit one note outside of longer fights since so many skills are about building Vengeance but he’s still pretty sweet.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Honestly every time the party selection unlocks I get paralysed with indecision. Everybody is amazing. I am halfway through Hard Mode and I still don't have a stable favourite team.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barret is loving absurd in this game. Dude shits ATB

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

The thread spoiled me on his voice changing but Red XIII is a dork now and I hate it

Though during his section I used his level 2 limit break and did 9999 damage for the first time so maybe I'll stop making him a bench warmer

Red XIII was so desperate to compete in a collectable card game tournament he first demanded to speak to the manager and then dressed up in Shinra clothes and moonwalked into the victory ceremony and made a small child cry.

Red XIII was always a dork.

Fedule posted:

Honestly every time the party selection unlocks I get paralysed with indecision. Everybody is amazing. I am halfway through Hard Mode and I still don't have a stable favourite team.

Yeah, to be honest, everyone feels good to play. Some better than others but I think they genuinely knocked it out of the park with every character which is loving amazing. I can't wait to see how Cid and Vincent play.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arist posted:

Barret is loving absurd in this game. Dude shits ATB

Whenever I need a prayer Barret is there to give my stupid rear end a prayer.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, to be honest, everyone feels good to play. Some better than others but I think they genuinely knocked it out of the park with every character which is loving amazing. I can't wait to see how Cid and Vincent play.

I think Cid is going to be a teleporting/rushing dragoon beatdown man that has very large sweeps and aoe, in contrast to Cloud and Tifa who can be pretty single target. Probably will have a huge air game.

I reckon Vincent is going to be weird. Barret kind of had his core conceit locked in. Probably a hybrid with monster modes that cater to particular situations and big single shot damage.

I'm hoping the second intermission has us play Cid and Vincent on a buddy adventure (let them bring Cait why not) after they get left behind somewhere due to being non playable characters lol.

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 13, 2024

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I didn't realize it scaled off magic (or that enemies being pressured made them more susceptible to things like juggling - I thought it just made them stagger faster).

Rule of thumb is that any ability that is not your character directly hitting someone (or shooting them in Barrett's case) is magic damage and keys off your Magic stat. Tifa is better at magic with the right weapon than she was in the first game but not really in the league of the three proper hybrids of Cloud/Yuffie/Cait Sith. However she also doesn't need a lot to make Chi Trap gently caress dudes up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Rule of thumb is that any ability that is not your character directly hitting someone (or shooting them in Barrett's case) is magic damage and keys off your Magic stat. Tifa is better at magic with the right weapon than she was in the first game but not really in the league of the three proper hybrids of Cloud/Yuffie/Cait Sith. However she also doesn't need a lot to make Chi Trap gently caress dudes up.

Tifa absolutely can hybrid, it just is that her hybrid isn't really based on casting spells since Unfettered Fury gives her attacks magic damage.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I've been slow burning Rebirth and trying to avoid spoilers, but the whole Junon area has made the have with it so far. The Chadley Checklist stuff has you exploring the whole map, the mini-games are the perfect kind of stupid, and the whole Roche fight and subsequent saying goodbye to your new squad mates was somehow over the top and touching at the same time. I wasn't really big on Remake but this one has its hooks in me in a way that I really didn't expect.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, the suicide bomb moogle ability owns. Almost wipes out weaker enemies. Just queuing that + Mind Blast up would probably end most minor encounters.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

JBP posted:

I think Cid is going to be a teleporting/rushing dragoon beatdown man that has very large sweeps and aoe, in contrast to Cloud and Tifa who can be pretty single target. Probably will have a huge air game.

I reckon Vincent is going to be weird. Barret kind of had his core conceit locked in. Probably a hybrid with monster modes that cater to particular situations and big single shot damage.

I'm hoping the second intermission has us play Cid and Vincent on a buddy adventure (let them bring Cait why not) after they get left behind somewhere due to being non playable characters lol.

I was bummed to learn Vincent and Cid weren’t playable in this one. An intermission like this would be really fun!

If not at least we have the third installment to look forward to.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Ah yeah, so the ocean Chocobo....

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

drat, the Cosmo Canyon protorelic stuff seems a bit important for missable side content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paracausal posted:

Ah yeah, so the ocean Chocobo....

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my farting chocobo?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well that's all of Gongaga cleared. Only 76 hours played so far. :shepface: I guess I'll finally give Cid something to do.

Just how much elemental exploiting are you meant to do to Kujata? Even when I have him at maximum nerf and spammed elemental spells at him during his vuln windows, he still gets Tri Disaster off and it fuckin' hurts. If I can't pressure him in easy mode I don't see how I'd be able to do it normally.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 13, 2024

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Beat the game. Loved it. Current impression is it’s one of my top 5 of all time. Definitely need a break before doing hard mode though.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Agreeing with everyone saying that every character is fun. They all bring something to the table and switching between them is hella frantic and fun.

Yesterday I finally beat the kujata and bahamut fights on second difficulty and sheesh, both were frantic races to kill em before they got their ability off. Just fun enough to not become frustrating after the 3rd wipe.

I've been backtracking after cosmo canyon and I'm enjoying unlocking open world stuff for now, it's a really good game to just play an hour or two each night.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Do you get anything for beating the summons on difficulties higher than the base? I just want to unlock them and move on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

JBP posted:

Do you get anything for beating the summons on difficulties higher than the base? I just want to unlock them and move on.

Nope. In fact you only end up getting a weaker version of the summon if you do them early without unlocking summon intel.

They are there just for challenge.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

beat the story today. need to digest it some but overall Game's Good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ok chapter 12 question for what I should do. I want to head to the saucer while I have the right relationship status (lol). If I do it will I get locked into a railroad towards the end, or can I just come back to this insane amount of new side content?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

JBP posted:

drat that’s a good idea. I have prayer on aerith and she’s so slow at getting atb

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

JBP posted:

No I was just too lazy to go to all map spots.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

drat that’s a good idea. I have prayer on aerith and she’s so slow at getting atb

When she casts it the heal is massive, but I need her doing magnified thundaga four times.

Barret is my team daddy. Casts protect, bravery and removes status then he's on the spot for prayers.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

JBP posted:

Ok chapter 12 question for what I should do. I want to head to the saucer while I have the right relationship status (lol). If I do it will I get locked into a railroad towards the end, or can I just come back to this insane amount of new side content?

It will be obvious where the point of no return is, but also the game gives you a big "NO SERIOUSLY THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN ARE YOU SURE" dialogue when you get there (I think it's the start of chapter 13?)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sockser posted:

It will be obvious where the point of no return is, but also the game gives you a big "NO SERIOUSLY THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN ARE YOU SURE" dialogue when you get there (I think it's the start of chapter 13?)

Great I've pressed on and lmao ITS A CHALLENGE FROM THE DON!

I was hoping the wall market arena clowns would be back!

they want shady
May 11, 2013
doing some side stuff and something I noticed recently

(chapter 12 minor spoilers)

world intel has stalled as of late

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i remember when remake came out, people were complaining that Red's voice was bad. "it's just Max Mittelman putting on a very obvious gruff voice, it sounds unnatural."

i hope those people are ashamed of their words and deeds

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm in love with Aerith don't do this to me game lmao

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the other big thing is as soon as chapter 12 starts every single town gets new side quests and they're all worth doing

especially Kalm's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Where can I find an Astral Remnant? Dry Ether is the only item I have left to craft currently and it’s the only material I dont have

New difficulties of Gold Saucer minigames that open up in chapter 12.

One was the biking game can't remember the other.