Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Home inspection happens today, inspector goes in blind. There's a pool and a hot tub. Never had to own+maintain either of those. Seller's "pool inspection report"'' tl;dr says have equipment inspected by a "licensed pool contractor" - There's a "excessively noisy", rusty, unbonded pump,

But what seems more worrying, without having more context - The concrete decking around the pool shows evidence of cracking or movement (wonder if that could apply overall and == expensive repairs needed)

My home inspector is deservedly getting paid 200$ extra today to look at the pool but am wondering if their inspection will be any more granular than the sellers report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thom ZombieForm posted:

My home inspector is deservedly getting paid 200$ extra today to look at the pool but am wondering if their inspection will be any more granular than the sellers report.

It should be. IIRC our inspection was ~25 pages with photos and the seller's report was like ~2 pages, no photos.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thom ZombieForm posted:

I hope this means your home inspector is bringing in a pool guy to do a supplmental report, because that's what should be happening.

I had both a septic and an oil guy brought in on my last purchase. The septic guy saved me from eating a couple grand worth of work.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sirotan posted:

As the owner of a 1941 home, you basically just assume asbestos exists and send in samples for testing if you plan to do any kind of demolition.

I am fairly certain our local asbestos tester just checked the age of the home and said yes/no based on that without testing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We put a low offer on a home after it's been on the market for 60+ days and we're now told there's another offer and to make our highest offer.

:thunk:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SpartanIvy posted:

We put a low offer on a home after it's been on the market for 60+ days and we're now told there's another offer and to make our highest offer.

Depending on how badly I wanted the house vs how much I wanted to signal that I wasn't putting up with that kind of bullshit, I would be tempted to add $5 and tell them I was looking at another house all offers would be void at 17:00.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The other offer is someone who put in a low ball offer 59 days ago and forgot this property existed

Irregardless of how close it is to Mar 15 I agree with Cassius on this specific topic

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

SpartanIvy posted:

Standard stuff. If your previous offer was your best and final then stick with it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cassius Belli posted:

Depending on how badly I wanted the house vs how much I wanted to signal that I wasn't putting up with that kind of bullshit, I would be tempted to add $5 and tell them I was looking at another house all offers would be void at 17:00.

We did almost exactly this except we didn't give a fast deadline.

E: read $5K instead of $5. We tossed in a few thousand more just to appease their greed slightly.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 13, 2024

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Put in an offer yesterday afternoon, offers were due at 5PM. An hour later our realtor called and told us that if we can come up $5k and also do an inspection today then we've got the house. So we did and now we have an accepted offer on a house for a little bit more than we really wanted to pay. It's not like we're emptying our bank accounts for it but it's still a lot of money to be parting with all at once.

When i was looking at the listing for this house it was making me mad because it looks so good and the location was so amazing I thought that there was no way we were going to get it. Now the stress sets in over the rest of the process.

Trying to manage expectations still because our last accepted offer we had to back out of after things revealed during the inspection, so hopefully there's no repeat of that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A little bit of buyers anxiety is normal. Skepticism is healthy. Congrats on the accepted offer!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SpartanIvy posted:

At the very least if you are inclined to raise your offer be sure to make the higher offer in the form of an escalation clause so that the higher bid is entirely contingent on there being a valid competing offer, and require a redacted copy of the competing offer to verify you aren't being jerked around.

And put a tight deadline on the fucker.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm just gonna add that it's now mid-March and buying season is starting, so while a house sitting with no offers for 60 days and then suddenly there's another buyer the same time as you is definitely a bit sus... it's also exactly the time of year where houses that have sat through the winter may start attracting bids.

This chart is from an article from last July, but it's useful to see where the uptick started in each of the past five years:

Very consistently, March.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Just as an anecdotal correlation with that, I have noticed that several houses around here (central VA) that have been sitting for a couple months with for sale signs all went under contract within the last two weeks or so.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm pretty confident that there's no other offer because we asked what the other off was and was told they wouldn't provide it but that "it is higher". If they really wanted a bidding war they would tell us. Or at least provide a counter offer. They could be idiots which is also possible.

We don't want to go with an escalation clause because if this deal doesn't work out our realtor will know our upper number because this house is already close to our max.

The house is cool but has some major drawbacks because of its design. We were at the open house last weekend almost the whole time poking around and we didn't see or hear anyone that really spoke well of the house. One couple was even upset it didn't have an HOA :lol: It also has some big issues like the 30 year old roof, even older HVAC, similarly old water heater, some original single pane windows, one of which has a hole, and there are some mold issues in the crawlspace. So it's not exactly a house I'm dying to own at 4x the cost of my current one, but it fits us and our needs well.

We'll know tomorrow what the answer is.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 13, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Why do you care if your realtor knows your upper limit? That’s kind of an important conversation to to have with them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Why do you care if your realtor knows your upper limit? That’s kind of an important conversation to to have with them.

Because they're incentivized to get us to spend the most amount of money possible and if they know that number I don't trust them to not use it against us.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I feel like I'm not connecting the dots here. Let's say you go with the escalator clause and offer another... $10K contingent on another offer. What's the downside to doing that? Why would the realtor now know your upper bound?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Because they're incentivized to get us to spend the most amount of money possible and if they know that number I don't trust them to not use it against us.

Their much greater conflict of interest is that they are incentivized to get you to buy any house at any price as fast as possible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

Their much greater conflict of interest is that they are incentivized to get you to buy any house at any price as fast as possible.

Yeah this. Not knowing your upper bound also kneecaps their ability to show you houses.

Not saying you need to assume they’re your best friend but if you’re going to cut them out of the loop this much you’re hobbling their ability to work for you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah it's this

You might lose your job and back out, or realize they're a lovely agent and switch to someone else, or simply you're taking up too much of their time and they're not able to be out there drumming up more business

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Worst case, if you do want for whatever reason to keep your upper limit on the DL just tell your realtor it’s your upper limit on this specific location, that you might be more flexible for the perfect find but you have enough qualms about this particular home that it’s where you’re capping things. It’s not a lie, you’re just creatively framing it!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

Yeah it's this

You might lose your job and back out, or realize they're a lovely agent and switch to someone else, or simply you're taking up too much of their time and they're not able to be out there drumming up more business

How is this a problem for me? You think agents do anything to earn their 3%? Any house she brings to our attention we've already been looking at on Zillow or Redfin for hours.

Oh no, I'll have to find another vestigial cog in the house buying process to take thousands of dollars for doing almost nothing. I sure hope another is willing. :rolleyes:

Thaddius the Large posted:

Worst case, if you do want for whatever reason to keep your upper limit on the DL just tell your realtor it’s your upper limit on this specific location, that you might be more flexible for the perfect find but you have enough qualms about this particular home that it’s where you’re capping things. It’s not a lie, you’re just creatively framing it!

This is what we did. Our initial offer was just under what we consider the max for this house after discovering all its issues and risks. So really there was no point to an escalation clause. We just tacked on $5K to our initial offer to placate the seller assuming there's no other offer.

Our agent hadn't mentioned or suggested an escalation clause. What would be the reason she hasn't suggested it? Is there a downside besides calling the selling agents bluff?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
so your initial max offer wasn't really your max offer, in fact?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SpartanIvy posted:

How is this a problem for me? You think agents do anything to earn their 3%? Any house she brings to our attention we've already been looking at on Zillow or Redfin for hours.

Oh no, I'll have to find another vestigial cog in the house buying process to take thousands of dollars for doing almost nothing. I sure hope another is willing. :rolleyes:

It's not a problem for you, it's an explanation of why the realtor would rather close quickly than close at a higher price.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There might be another offer but it looks a lot more shakey. If the agent truly believes you are at the top of your budget they don't want you to over-extend yourself thinking that the clause won't get exercised. Generally you'd want an offer to be reasonably simple if possible.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Thinking about the house buying process is stressing me out so I'm going to peace out for a while. I'll let the thread know if my final_final_really-final_offer_3.xlsx is accepted tomorrow.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Our agent hadn't mentioned or suggested an escalation clause. What would be the reason she hasn't suggested it? Is there a downside besides calling the selling agents bluff?

No real downside. The big upside is that if the clause gets exercised (say you put in at 400 with a clause to 450 and they come back and say you won at 435) they have to provide you the nearest losing bid.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Welp, false alarm. My agent just called and another bidder increased their all cash offer and has now waived all contingencies. My father-in-law was already on his way to the inspection and my wife and I were about to leave work for it.

This loving market, man.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have heard of sellers and agents getting tetchy in hot markets because they see the upper bound amount of the escalation clause and feel that you are cheating them out of that amount. Obviously you think the house is worth that much and we're willing to pay that much, so why are you not giving them that much?

Our buyers agent also mentioned that some listings will include "no escalation clauses" in the listing notes that are not seen by potential buyers, but said that such things are meaningless since agents have to present all offers to the seller. She said that a seller might be a bit grumpy about you not giving them the maximum amount that you were willing to pay, but it is very rare for a seller who cares that much about getting every last penny to choose to give up $2k or so and take the next highest offer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I have heard of sellers and agents getting tetchy in hot markets because they see the upper bound amount of the escalation clause and feel that you are cheating them out of that amount. Obviously you think the house is worth that much and we're willing to pay that much, so why are you not giving them that much?

Our buyers agent also mentioned that some listings will include "no escalation clauses" in the listing notes that are not seen by potential buyers, but said that such things are meaningless since agents have to present all offers to the seller. She said that a seller might be a bit grumpy about you not giving them the maximum amount that you were willing to pay, but it is very rare for a seller who cares that much about getting every last penny to choose to give up $2k or so and take the next highest offer.

This isn't really a problem. They can be grumpy all they want, but they need to show a competing bid to get the escalation clause. If they don't, or worse fabricate one, that's no bullshit large-dollar-value fraud and has extremely real consequences.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Welp, false alarm. My agent just called and another bidder increased their all cash offer and has now waived all contingencies. My father-in-law was already on his way to the inspection and my wife and I were about to leave work for it.

This loving market, man.

I hope you're getting some concession for them breaching your contact. Typically they shouldn't be able to back out of an accepted offer without cause (like, a legal cause, not "we got a better offer"). Or did you just have a verbal agreement with plans to sign things after the inspection?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

marjorie posted:

I hope you're getting some concession for them breaching your contact. Typically they shouldn't be able to back out of an accepted offer without cause (like, a legal cause, not "we got a better offer"). Or did you just have a verbal agreement with plans to sign things after the inspection?

Nothing was signed yet, no. the offer was just accepted at 6:30PM last night.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Ah, so not sure if this is unusual, but in my experience, an offer involves a contract with a purchase price and any contingencies, signed by the prospective buyer with a line for the seller. Accepting the offer meant the seller signed that offer. Again, not sure if this is unusual, but might be a consideration for next time since you're in a hot market, to protect yourself from getting swooped like that.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah they don't provide anything like that here, it's all verbal precisely so people can pull scumbag poo poo like this if they so please.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's hard to believe that "gently caress this market is so hot god drat I hate real estate" season is already here

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The way it was explained to me is that the season begins the weekend after super bowl Sunday. Prior to that you have the holidays, and poo poo-garbage weather so it's difficult even getting people to show up to open houses. By March the days are long enough to actually visit more than three houses in a day

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FYI, that's not what constitutes an accepted offer. That's why the thread was confused.

Yeah they don't provide anything like that here, it's all verbal precisely so people can pull scumbag poo poo like this if they so please.

What is "here"? Non-US?

I had to (have my real estate attorney) threaten to sue on this house when they quickly accepted our offer before the first open house (we came in strong for the market conditions because we decided this was what we wanted and could afford to make that point stick) when I saw it go from pending back to for sale in the MLS and they had scheduled another open house.

Your seller remorse and what-if scenarios are not my problem once you've signed the contract, Gary. Their seller agnet was a piece of poo poo and very pissed off when my agent roasted her professionally for the next several months whenever they crossed paths.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 13, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Motronic posted:

Their seller agent was a piece of poo poo and very pissed off when my agent roasted her professionally for the next several months whenever they crossed paths.

This is what I wish those Bravo shows about real estate agents was actually about. Forget the high powered folks with NYC/LA properties, I want to see two competing agents in North Carolina being “southern nice” at church

Nybble fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You thought you could send my client a purchase offer without putting any money down, bless your heart