Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's just a rule that every Dune thread is the best thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I feel bad for the actress, but at least she got to attend the Lynch Dune wrap party

lol at the scene though

Harah: “Lady Jessica, the other women are saying you got a weird kid”
Jessica (mistily): “It is the secret knowledge with which I unwittingly imbued her”
Alia: *bursts in, emits deafening foghorn noises*

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol they were all acting so seriously

and then whatever the gently caress just happened

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It was so good. Up until now I thought BR2049 was Villeneuve's masterpiece. This is it.

My friend was pretty upset at how 'queer-coded' the Baron and Feyd were. I get his sentiment but I don't share it, it's tough to tiptoe around stuff like that but I thought all the cues from the book were included in a fairly tasteful way.

Loved how the door was left open for Messiah, loved the heartbreaking treatment of Chani feeling betrayed in the last scenes. If they make any more of these, I'm gonna have to start eating some hats.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i mean, there's unfortunately a fair asymmetry of blinginess of hats betw genders, if you're eatin hats

cant really beat the pimp-rear end veils the reverend mothers get

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i mean, there's unfortunately a fair asymmetry of blinginess of hats betw genders

I meant that I'm pretty sure I said ITT "if we get God-Emperor, I'll eat my hat."

I really need to stop doing that. Saying "if [unlikely thing happens], I'll eat [inedible object]."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mister Speaker posted:

It was so good. Up until now I thought BR2049 was Villeneuve's masterpiece. This is it.

My friend was pretty upset at how 'queer-coded' the Baron and Feyd were. I get his sentiment but I don't share it, it's tough to tiptoe around stuff like that but I thought all the cues from the book were included in a fairly tasteful way.

Loved how the door was left open for Messiah, loved the heartbreaking treatment of Chani feeling betrayed in the last scenes. If they make any more of these, I'm gonna have to start eating some hats.

I really didn't get "queer coding" at all from the Harkonnens other than Feyd (apparently improvising) kissing the Baron?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

random thought:

in the final confrontation, the fremen penetrate the shield wall and approach the imperial landing site on sandworms. shortly thereafter, paul becomes emperor.

the circular ship is representative of the power of the imperium (an imperium, mind, which is controlled behind the scenes by an all-female order). paul combines that power with desert power, represented by the sandworms, and births a new dynasty.

he penetrates the wall and when his worm meets the egg-shaped ship, emperor muad'dib is born.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
penis metaphors are never far at hand in war

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

kalel posted:

random thought:

in the final confrontation, the fremen penetrate the shield wall and approach the imperial landing site on sandworms. shortly thereafter, paul becomes emperor.

the circular ship is representative of the power of the imperium (an imperium, mind, which is controlled behind the scenes by an all-female order). paul combines that power with desert power, represented by the sandworms, and births a new dynasty.

he penetrates the wall and when his worm meets the egg-shaped ship, emperor muad'dib is born.

good call. considering some of the visual language toward the end of BR2049 (Joe fighting Love in a curiously smooth, white car on the crashing shores to deliver Deckard to his daughter who is crafting tomorrow’s dreams in a suspiciously womb-like room) I’m absolutely inclined to believe that was all or partly intentional

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
also eyes, the guy loves eyes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

also eyes, the guy loves eyes

the worm mouth is the iris and the imperial ship is the eyeball. when they meet, paul's visions become reality. bada bing bada boom

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

I really didn't get "queer coding" at all from the Harkonnens other than Feyd (apparently improvising) kissing the Baron?

Both are at best pansexual. Book-wise the Baron is gay and basically in love/lust with na-Baron Feyd, hence lovely Feyd.

Primarily they are both sadists although Feyd has a big ol' masochistic streak too.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they purged 98% of herbert's homophobia (literally disowned his son for being gay) and good riddance

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

I don't get the children of dune hate
I think the first four books are a solid tetralogy where the 1st and 3rd books are adventure stories and the 2nd and 4th books are cerebral and take place largely in the Mentat Emperor's head. So Children is an adventure story where Leto and Ghanima follow in their father's footsteps and combine different drugs and martial arts styles to become supreme badasses and Leto wins the universe, but they're Paul and Chani's kids so they're automatically, like, the West Coast Avengers and this is therefore a B-tier story, as some people see it.

Another feature of the series is that the weird sex stuff ramps up steadily with each book. This is the one where Leto and Ghanima openly discuss their incestuous feelings for each other and their memories of their father loving their mother and vice versa. Leto ultimately renounces sex and openly discusses breeding his sister to the Corrino guy. And Alia has the whole thing where the Baron's psyche is enjoying living in her head while she fucks hot guys.

I'm not surprised this is the point where a lot of people peace out. My point is, Frank Herbert was a Republican and this is what those people are actually like when they have no filter.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they purged 98% of herbert's homophobia (literally disowned his son for being gay) and good riddance

And like most homophobes, he doesn't really have a problem with lesbians, provided they take the dick of Dunc every now and then.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

In the first movie during the ceremony on Caladan, are those orange-visored people behind the Herald of the Change supposed to be Guild Navigators in training? Or just Spacing Guild dignitaries who must constantly huff a helmet full of spice?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm certain that they're emissaries from the Guild. They're probably Navigators and the implication is that they're visibly mutated behind the helmets.

It slips by a lot of people, but Navigators don't immediately turn into fishmen. I think a younger Navigator attends the Atreides banquet on Arrakis, but the implication is that they all become more mutated as time goes on, Innsmouth style.

That's one of my criticisms of the first movie--the costumes are too samey. Not enough visible distinction between the Sardaukar and the Guildsmen.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
They're Navigators. Look closely at the faces in the helmets. You can see the outline of a head in the orange gas and two bright blue eyes. The fish Navigators (like The Golden Path) are not actually part of the first book, thank God, and Paul literally talks to two Navigators at the end of the book who are simply described as two normal looking dudes except for the contact lenses they use to hide their blue eyes (because the Spice being important for space travel is an Act 3 twist, not something revealed at the start of the story).

Edit: Too many people mix together Lynch's Dune with later Dune novels and then insert that stuff into the first book, when the first novel is very straightforward and complete, with the 2nd novel only existing because Herbert realized too many people missed the point. The first novel doesn't have any worm people, fish Navigators, or any of the other wild poo poo people always talk about. It's a really creative story about not trusting cults of personality, and it avoids all the "gazing into its own rear end in a top hat" problems the later novels get into.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 12, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

kalel posted:

random thought:

It's all very on brand.

skasion posted:

I feel bad for the actress, but at least she got to attend the Lynch Dune wrap party

lol at the scene though

Harah: “Lady Jessica, the other women are saying you got a weird kid”
Jessica (mistily): “It is the secret knowledge with which I unwittingly imbued her”
Alia: *bursts in, emits deafening foghorn noises*

Gen Alpha Alia

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Say what you will about Lynch Dune but his depiction of the Spacing Guild and navigator in the opening was :discourse:

So much so that my brain thought that scene actually happened in the book for a long while.

The massive tank, translators in gimp suit, cleaners for the navigator slime and the Untreated Syphilis Penis Navigator gave me nightmares for a few days

The weird whiplash I had as a teenager was, my first experience with Dune was Dune 2 RTS game on Amiga 500, then buying Dune (the adventure / strategy one) and being super confused about not having tanks or Sardoukars with missile launchers then finding the Lynch Dune on effin VHS, getting MEGA confused why the guy from the Police and Captain Picard is in it and FINALLY finding the books which were like translated only a few years ago and looking for House Ordos to show up until halfway through the book

Man, it was such a trip to remember all those now :allears:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Children of Dune…it’s another palace conspiracy, but this time there are tigers! Oh my! Nah, it’s not a winner. I think some of these concepts might have been better served by a slower, less plot-intensive book that could take a look at how the Atreides family relationships and Arrakis change over the years of the regency. Ultimately I’m not convinced that this all needed to happen in one fell swoop when they were 9.

Children suffers from comparison to the later books which enormously outdo it for craziness (and weird sex), and to the first two which are just better and more closely in conversation with each other. That said, fishman navigators enter in Messiah, together with the Tleilaxu who are reliable harbingers of extreme weirdness.

I wonder if there was an earlier plan for Alia’s character contrary to what is in Children. The appendix to the first book suggests that at that time, Herbert envisioned her outliving Jessica

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think Children should have like started with Leto becoming the Worm and then having Leto and Alia be each others' nemeses throughout and be about how he finally vanquishes her.

Or even better she figures out how to free herself from the Baron and joins Leto maybe.

The book wasn't fun until the end, just start there and have Leto II get progressively more and more superhero to Alia's growing frustration. He did WHAT? Kicked a tiger into space, ma'am.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just thinking of that pic posted earlier in the thread of the lynch navigator with the note on his tank about how he has AC and his favourite music on makes me lol

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The third book is alright but having Baron to return (Somehow, Vladimir has returned) as a mind ghost kinda deflated me when I was reading

I think hate is a strong word but for some reason I can't articulate well, Children of Dune feels...inconsequential

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Galewolf posted:

The third book is alright but having Baron to return (Somehow, Vladimir has returned) as a mind ghost kinda deflated me when I was reading

I think hate is a strong word but for some reason I can't articulate well, Children of Dune feels...inconsequential

So, basically Belgian.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Monica Bellucci posted:

So, basically Belgian.

The book equivalent of Brussels irl

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

They're Navigators. Look closely at the faces in the helmets. You can see the outline of a head in the orange gas and two bright blue eyes. The fish Navigators (like The Golden Path) are not actually part of the first book, thank God, and Paul literally talks to two Navigators at the end of the book who are simply described as two normal looking dudes except for the contact lenses they use to hide their blue eyes (because the Spice being important for space travel is an Act 3 twist, not something revealed at the start of the story).

Its pedantic but while they're definitely guild, we actually know they're not 'full' navigators - when Leto asks Thufir for the cost of the trip, he specifically notes a cost for 3 navigators, but there are 5 dudes in identical suits.

Serak fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 13, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Children of Dune kinda feels like basically all setup for God-Emperor.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kalel posted:

random thought:

the book mentions a lot that the Jihad is less about politics and religion, and more about the instinctual human desire to mingle genes to prevent genetic stagnation. I guess the eggship scene is a good visualization of that idea.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don’t think Herbert wrote sequels because the people refused to hear his message, I think they paid him

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Halloween Jack posted:

I don’t think Herbert wrote sequels because the people refused to hear his message, I think they paid him

Yes, obviously. My point was more that Dune is a complete story without any lingering plot threads that one might sprinkle in for sequels. All the silly poo poo that comes later is really not in the first book at all, and I always think it's funny when people transpose Lynch Dune or later novel's concepts into the first book. The Navigators were just normal dudes with blue eyes, the worms were just weird alien animals that the Fremen worshipped/controlled, no face dancers, no Golden Path, and no immortal Duncan clones.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I can't wait for DUNC 3. I hope they stay true to the books and have Timothy Chalamet stare directly into the camera and have a 5 minute monologue about how he's worse than Hitler and everyone who thought he's the good guy is a complete moron

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Or a ten minute scene where the old Fedaykin gives Paul a "back in my day" boomer talk

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yes, obviously. My point was more that Dune is a complete story without any lingering plot threads that one might sprinkle in for sequels. All the silly poo poo that comes later is really not in the first book at all, and I always think it's funny when people transpose Lynch Dune or later novel's concepts into the first book. The Navigators were just normal dudes with blue eyes, the worms were just weird alien animals that the Fremen worshipped/controlled, no face dancers, no Golden Path, and no immortal Duncan clones.

I get what you’re saying but I think you’re underselling the first book’s weirdness. To someone who has never encountered the story before they have to grapple with the Bene Gesserit and their breeding program, prana bindu, mentats, sand worms, the voice, the gom jabbar, abominations, CHOAM, Suk doctors, the psychedelic descriptions of prescience etc etc. We’re used to these things being considered the substrate that the rest of the books are based on but it’s very weird in its own right.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 13, 2024

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Jewmanji posted:

Suk doctors

Scene: Desert, ext.

Paul: "I think my worm is too dry."

Chani, slapping latex glove on: "There's a prescription for that."

Camera pans up, music starts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhASOgRA1SE

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Radio controlled tigers and Paul Muadib with a napkin on his face, I don't know what else a person could want.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Like Jewmanji said, from the get-go Dune is full of pseudoscientific concepts like race memory and training people to be superhumans that were in vogue in the 60s and 70s, but today are just as far-fetched as e.g. Force Ghosts. What's particularly silly about the psychic fishman swimming in a tank full of drugs?

(I would say that the ancestral memory stuff in Children gets over the top. It's not just traits, instincts, or impulses that can be triggered, apparently every one of us is a complete library of the entire consciousness of all of our descendants, who can potentially resurface as a split personality.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Halloween Jack posted:

Like Jewmanji said, from the get-go Dune is full of pseudoscientific concepts like race memory and training people to be superhumans that were in vogue in the 60s and 70s, but today are just as far-fetched as e.g. Force Ghosts. What's particularly silly about the psychic fishman swimming in a tank full of drugs?

(I would say that the ancestral memory stuff in Children gets over the top. It's not just traits, instincts, or impulses that can be triggered, apparently every one of us is a complete library of the entire consciousness of all of our descendants, who can potentially resurface as a split personality.)

And Leto didn't even escape Abomination, he just allied with inner-Agamemnon who was strong enough to tell all the other inner personalities to STFU.