Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gothmog1065 posted:

After rewatching the show again, I'm not a super fan of Husk and Angel's relationship. It just feels rushed and kind of forced. I just think they (at this point at least), would be better off as just friends instead of in some sort of romantic relationship.

same but i feel like they did it well enough that i can see it working.

Flopsy posted:

As per word of God Angel and Husk are endgame. But Viv has flat out said they're a multi-season slowburn that starts out with friendship. From what I gather they're going to start showing interest next season but that might be several episodes in. And it's definitely not going to be like sex comes into the equation any time soon. I get the feeling Angel would wildly benefit from a relationship where sex takes a backseat to actual respect and mutual interests. The fact Husk not only sees through his defensive mechanisms but is incredibly patient with him definitely has caught his interest at least by the end of season one.

this. they clearly like each other to a degree and i feel like them slowly becoming more over a couple seasons works. I like their dynamic so i am ok with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still rather surprised at the idea that Angel and Husk are 'forced' anything when so far from my perspective they've basically just learned to tolerate each other and understand they have some things in common with being hosed over and on the bottom of Hell's totem pole despite positions of superficially high standing that are entirely at the pleasure of their owners. (Well, as much as a relatively cushy job as the bartender of a barely used hotel managed by probably the nicest boss in Hell can compare to being one of Pride's celebrities)

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

The Last Call posted:

These people really don't understand what is going on.
Really feels like Thing Got Popular and people are scraping bottom about finding details to complain about. Cringed thru some concern-trolling posts about Angel glorifying sexual assault like, wut??? How could anyone come away with that opinion?

Ironslave posted:

Especially given most of Angel's problems are wrapped up in sex. One of the things I was surprised the show had the awareness to do is that, once he had a friend who knew and cut through his bullshit, he stopped being offensively inappropriate around and to his friends. Often those suffering from abuse can try to normalize it or flaunt the form it comes in, in an attempt to own it and have a modicum of a sense of control. Him dropping it would be a sign of coming to terms with his circumstances.
I view Angel as someone who enjoys sex to begin with, and is not shackled by our perceptions of shame around it. He uses sex to get under people's skin as a defense mechanism, sure, but I don't recall it being suggested that his contract with Valentino, or, any abuse per se is the reason for doing sex... Its a fun way for him to let off steam and feels good! why not!

Husk and Angel hooking up feels weird to me, even with Viv hinting at it going this direction :( The shipping is silly whatever but idk, they're good at friends and seek connection in a way that doesn't feel like it requires the physical... Not sure Husk even swings that way.

Their friendship did feel rushed but I chalked that up to the Broadway style of their song where a key changes and the plot advances... Realistic, no, but it's a well worn trope and I felt they rolled it out in a cute way.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

seems to be a sign that he's no longer acting inappropriate around the Hotel crew (except when it's really funny) because he's more comfortable around them and doesn't need to try to exert control or defend his pride. Angel strikes me as pretty similar to Blitz in a fair few ways; both are extremely socially aggressive and defensive, sassy mostly-gay men coping with serious trauma and issues in a toxic society. (I do wonder if Blitz was developed partly from working with Angel's character... heh, it's not hard to picture Brandon Rogers voicing him instead)
Had a smile at these parallels as well, even their brand of zany humor is similar (as close as you can get to Brandon's madness without getting sucked in lol)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Husk is Pansexual, every initial Hotel associated character is actually a different sexuality, it just hasn't been an explicit plot beat yet.

He may not be attracted to Angel Dust specifically, but it's not due to Husk not swinging that way. That's why the end of their duet and then fight has him 'flirt' back for once. "This guy, I like."

He doesn't like Angel's fake defensive personality and that's his issue with the flirting, not the actual idea of sleeping with Angel in general.

For the curious, Alastor is Ace (Rosie made this joke), Vaggie is a lesbian (Angel kinda joked about it in the pilot), Angel is gay (but will sleep with paying women, if a man and a woman offer the same amount he will always pick the man), Nifty is Straight (and likes bad boys), Charlie is Bi (has an ex-boyfriend shown in a photo), Husk is Pan (and claims to be unable to love).

Adam, Lilith and Lucifer are also all straight, apparently.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Niffty killing Adam
Het on Het Violence

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Husk is Pansexual, every initial Hotel associated character is actually a different sexuality, it just hasn't been an explicit plot beat yet.

He may not be attracted to Angel Dust specifically, but it's not due to Husk not swinging that way. That's why the end of their duet and then fight has him 'flirt' back for once. "This guy, I like."

He doesn't like Angel's fake defensive personality and that's his issue with the flirting, not the actual idea of sleeping with Angel in general.

For the curious, Alastor is Ace (Rosie made this joke), Vaggie is a lesbian (Angel kinda joked about it in the pilot), Angel is gay (but will sleep with paying women, if a man and a woman offer the same amount he will always pick the man), Nifty is Straight (and likes bad boys), Charlie is Bi (has an ex-boyfriend shown in a photo), Husk is Pan (and claims to be unable to love).

Adam, Lilith and Lucifer are also all straight, apparently.

I heard it more succinctly put Husk isn't attracted to Angel Dust he's attracted to Anthony. You'll notice the exaggerated affect of Angel's voice tones down significantly when he talks to Husk now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Husk and Angel are adults who've seen a whole lot of poo poo. I doubt there'll be much teenage angsting about them finding each other physically attractive. I can see them moving to friends-with-benefits relatively quickly and smoothly, with the giant emotional minefield for them to navigate coming after that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's one aspect of both these shows that I really enjoy: it's not a shallow adolescent physical approach to love and sexuality, it's very much a middle-aged type of perspective, full of regrets and compromise and acceptance of practical realities. Everybody has lots of baggage and tons of compatibility issues to work through, but those issues are the result of lived lifetimes colliding with each other in the shadow of creeping mortality.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Flopsy posted:

As per word of God Angel and Husk are endgame. But Viv has flat out said they're a multi-season slowburn that starts out with friendship. From what I gather they're going to start showing interest next season but that might be several episodes in. And it's definitely not going to be like sex comes into the equation any time soon. I get the feeling Angel would wildly benefit from a relationship where sex takes a backseat to actual respect and mutual interests. The fact Husk not only sees through his defensive mechanisms but is incredibly patient with him definitely has caught his interest at least by the end of season one.

Okay, this is fine with me. I didn't see the specific post/video from Viv, so what I saw it was reading like they were relationshipping /now/. The slow burn I can see and get behind, and I should listen to my gut more and less to internet on how/when things are happening in the show. I'd still almost rather go best buds route, but no complaints if it's done this way.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Husk and Angel are definitely going to be together endgame as said due to the word of God confirming to be so some time ago. If they show that growth and friendship grow and evolve, got no problem with it. Seen too many shippers wanting them to be suddenly going at it and it’s like, give it time, let it grow and breath. Development is good.

By the end of the show we might be seeing a lot less Angel Dust and a lot more Anthony. The best possible outcome, a happy one.

In other news, unless is fake it appears Hazbin is doing great in Japan:

On Prime Video Hell's Greatest Dad Sing Along is now at 31 million plus views. It should within a few days or hours top the current number one viewed vid on Prime Video. That being The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Teaser Trailer.

All the Hazbin Hotel stuff is crushing the view count on there, said it before and I'll say it again. Whoever got this deal with Amazon is definitely getting promoted.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Yeah Hazbin is pretty popular in Japan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Japan also got the original pilot (albeit with a different voice cast just like was the case for us) but not Helluva Boss (which was only ever dubbed in a tiny handful of countries)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Yeah Hazbin is pretty popular in Japan.

And Latin America from what I've heard.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

The Last Call posted:

On Prime Video Hell's Greatest Dad Sing Along is now at 31 million plus views. It should within a few days or hours top the current number one viewed vid on Prime Video. That being The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Teaser Trailer.

All the Hazbin Hotel stuff is crushing the view count on there, said it before and I'll say it again. Whoever got this deal with Amazon is definitely getting promoted.

This is objectively a good thing and all and congrats to them, but I'm seriously curious: why "Hell's Greatest Dad" specifically? I feel like most fan opinions I've heard on that song think it's just an above-average-ish track that becomes a lovely one because it's ruined by Mimzy. Or is that the point, and it's drawing in the hate-meme views?

But yeah I would've expected any of Poison, Loser Baby or More than Anything to be the big draw vids, they're the ones with the real emotional gut punches that usually rake in views.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CidGregor posted:

This is objectively a good thing and all and congrats to them, but I'm seriously curious: why "Hell's Greatest Dad" specifically? I feel like most fan opinions I've heard on that song think it's just an above-average-ish track that becomes a lovely one because it's ruined by Mimzy. Or is that the point, and it's drawing in the hate-meme views?

But yeah I would've expected any of Poison, Loser Baby or More than Anything to be the big draw vids, they're the ones with the real emotional gut punches that usually rake in views.

It's a lot of fun to listen to at least. Might be the beat that's helping it's trajectory.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

CidGregor posted:

I credit it to the fandom going nuts about Lucifer and already loving Alastor. Then you put in a song where they're both wanting to slaughter one another and it's a receipe for success.

You got non fandom hearing it's about Lucifer singing and they check it out. It being called Hell's Greatest Dad is going to grab some eyeballs purely for the WTF reaction.

It's a perfect little storm.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 12, 2024

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
One crossover I'd love is if they were to bring in William Fichtner to do his "The Accountant" character from Drive Angry, only sufficiently "Hazbinned." The show kinda needs a (for lack of a better way of putting it) "straight man," and Fichtner would be able to still say "gently caress" to complete the ensemble.

"Okay, so in addition to being quiet and well-read, I might've omitted the fact that Lucifer also enjoys making little wooden ducks." :colbert:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 12, 2024

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
There is absolutely no piece of fiction that would not be improved by William Fichtner as The Accountant.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Last Call posted:

I credit it to the fandom going nuts about Lucifer and already loving Alastor. Then you put in a song where they're both wanting to slaughter one another and it's a receipe for success.

You got non fandom hearing it's about Lucifer singing and they check it out. It being called Hell's Greatest Dad is going to grab some eyeballs purely for the WTF reaction.

It's a perfect little storm.
All the songs in the show are great even if I’d rate some higher than others. I got shown Loser Bany in a vacuum and it was like “lol. Good song though “. But then I learned the context!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmVTCDgQCwg
new commercial for hazbin on a new channel.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmVTCDgQCwg
new commercial for hazbin on a new channel.

i will so pay Disney prices to do coke on the Hazbin Hotel ride

Dirty Beluga fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It did hit the ol Disney Afternoon feel from how they did commercials back in the 90's.

Now to something random.

According to Viv, Charlie is 6,4 in height. There really are some extremely tall folks in this show, can only guess what height Stolas really is. People were calling Lucifer a short king, where as in reality he's likely around the average height for most people.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Last Call posted:

It did hit the ol Disney Afternoon feel from how they did commercials back in the 90's.

Now to something random.

According to Viv, Charlie is 6,4 in height. There really are some extremely tall folks in this show, can only guess what height Stolas really is. People were calling Lucifer a short king, where as in reality he's likely around the average height for most people.

Sera's like, 15 foot tall.

Angel is 8 foot tall (spider) if I remember correctly and Lucifer is like, half his height.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The Last Call posted:

Now to something random.

We can make a good guess about how tall Stolas is compared to an average human. We don't get a good side by side, but we do get a quick shot of him in front of the door and he's a little bit taller than the door frame

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Macaluso posted:

We can make a good guess about how tall Stolas is compared to an average human. We don't get a good side by side, but we do get a quick shot of him in front of the door and he's a little bit taller than the door frame

Stolas is a bit inconsistent in height as he can be any height he wishes.

In Lulu Land Blitzo was about as tall as Stolas legs when Stolas was acting as a normal giddy father out to have fun.

Here he's pictured much shorter.

There we are.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 13, 2024

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

if we are talking crossovers: James Urbaniak's Rusty Venture,

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the heights are all over the place even by cartoon standards. That said, there's definitely relative emphasis.

Lucifer actually stands out a lot by looking relatively normal looking, and being average height in a Hell full of beanpoles and gremlins (and the occasional elusive hunk).

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

The Last Call posted:

Now to something random.

If Charlie clocks in at 6'4", Lucifer's still really short, coming in at under 5 feet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Peanut Butler posted:

Doctor Orpheus and Stolas would totally hang.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Peanut Butler posted:

RUSTY: Oh come on, Hell? Was I really all that bad?
BROCK, WHO IS ALSO IN HELL: Ehhhhhh... *makes so-so gestures*

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Funky Valentine posted:

RUSTY: Oh come on, Hell? Was I really all that bad?
BROCK, WHO IS ALSO IN HELL: Ehhhhhh... *makes so-so gestures*

There's no way Rusty wouldn't be a moth, and Brock a Hellhound.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's one Venture Bros character we drat well know would be in Hell and it's Jonas Sr.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Jonas Sr would've managed to rounding-error his way into Heaven just like Adam specifically to rub in the awfulness of both him and the system (just like Adam).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The one Venture Bros. character in Heaven is 24 and everyone is very confused as to how.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

Now to something random.

yeah. the height stuff has always been kinda funny to me. I always assume blitzos like 5 foot something. loona is 6 footish. M&M are like little person height or smaller depending. also stolas is like 9 ft.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doctor Orpheus and Stolas would totally hang.

honestly. id watch some various weird rear end crossovers with hellverse and _______(insert show here)

Funky Valentine posted:

The one Venture Bros. character in Heaven is 24 and everyone is very confused as to how.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's one Venture Bros character we drat well know would be in Hell and it's Jonas Sr.

that made me think of a joke i had with a friend when kissenger died. that hell would close for a holiday and loving lucifer himself would give him the keys to the city because their favorite son finally came home.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nikumatic posted:

Jonas Sr would've managed to rounding-error his way into Heaven just like Adam specifically to rub in the awfulness of both him and the system (just like Adam).

In a hosed up way it's probably better he ends up there because he'd probably make a run for the crown if he was in hell regardless of status. And with his ability to pull people in he could have a resounding go at it.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Flopsy posted:

In a hosed up way it's probably better he ends up there because he'd probably make a run for the crown if he was in hell regardless of status. And with his ability to pull people in he could have a resounding go at it.

Jonas Sr would be the guy who somehow talked Adam into doing the exterminations in the first place. Likely as part of a bigger plan and potential black mail material.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

Jonas Sr would be the guy who somehow talked Adam into doing the exterminations in the first place. Likely as part of a bigger plan and potential black mail material.

Jonas Sr. was such a horror show of a human being I could see him actively unnerving actual sins and seraphim alike. Dude had the smarts and charisma to get poo poo done while being a sociopath to such a degree it puts even Alastor to shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Flopsy posted:

Jonas Sr. was such a horror show of a human being I could see him actively unnerving actual sins and seraphim alike. Dude had the smarts and charisma to get poo poo done while being a sociopath to such a degree it puts even Alastor to shame.

That was the true scary part of Jonas Sr. Even after death he was admired and loved by all despite all the crimes and horrible things he had ever done. The average person has no idea he ever did anything wrong.

Even if people knew, he was still thought well of and celebrated by them.

He got away with it.