Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Here's a great blog post from Dan Luu in December about search engines sucking.
He compares a few different ones but in the end everything's kinda bad.

It's time to bring back webrings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Sean posted:

Yeah, you dipshit I was answering someone else's question

Same for you. These are obvious target brands, dumbass. That's exactly what I was saying.

yes i was agreeing with you. and elaborating on my own opinion. i have no idea why you think that warrants hostility. uh, you sack of poo poo, i guess? :confused:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Earwicker posted:

yes i was agreeing with you. and elaborating on my own opinion. i have no idea why you think that warrants hostility. uh, you sack of poo poo, i guess? :confused:

On the internet updoots and likes mean agreement, replies mean a personal attack even if they agree with you, you sack of poo poo.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I saw a clip of a show (?) on YouTube and now I can’t for te life of me find it.

It may have been called fallen or fall or the fall or something similar.

In the clip a family driving in a car when a priest pulls them over telling them they need to follow him immediately, they are going to drive away when they hear screaming and “monster noises”. They hide out with the priest in some underground hideaway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

two fish posted:

I know it's a cliche song by this point, but what's the specific genre of Sandstorm by Darude, and what are some other songs with the same vibe and energy?

You genre question was already answered, but this one is my personal favorite trance song. I think you'll like it if you like Sandstorm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S02KYX_qTbQ

For even more further listening, look up "Tunnel Trance Force" on YouTube. There's a bunch of them on there. Hourish long sets of pure Trance goodness!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

dirby posted:

I remember a couple/few years back (early pandemic?) there were a few different websites for virtual conferences. For instance, one which was pretty robust let you click on a table with a fixed number of seats to basically join that breakout room. And another was more experimental and had your audio pick up on only those people whose avatars were near you.

What is the keyword I need to find these, or does anyone just know of a few examples that still exist?

The last one you described is https://www.gather.town/. I'm having trouble getting good search results at the moment (see discussion upthread about that), but I think I used to find stuff under event software or conference software. The results for that now seem to be payment/ticketing/email/day-of-event apps and stuff like that but maybe you can find it further down the page.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
AT&T upgraded our service yesterday from 300 Mbps to 500. However, only their speed test shows the speed at that new level. Everything else shows a slight bump from about 310 Mbps to maybe 330. Is there any way to get them to investigate? I assume they'll just point to their own tool and wash their hands, but it'd be nice of there's some way to get them to loop deeper.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

greazeball posted:

The last one you described is https://www.gather.town/.
This was really helpful in that I could look for alternatives to that, and alternatives to the alternatives, etc.
I think remo was the other one I'd used/mentioned. Unfortunately, a lot of others closed up shop and did/did not take their website down.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

dirby posted:

I remember a couple/few years back (early pandemic?) there were a few different websites for virtual conferences. For instance, one which was pretty robust let you click on a table with a fixed number of seats to basically join that breakout room. And another was more experimental and had your audio pick up on only those people whose avatars were near you.

What is the keyword I need to find these, or does anyone just know of a few examples that still exist?

I think that first one may have been Airmeet? We used it once at work, it sucked

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why are vitamin supplements so out of line with RDA?

https://www.goodrx.com/vitamin-b12/too-much-b12

quote:

Vitamin B12 is an essential vitamin. It’s mainly found in animal products, and most people get the recommended amount (about 2.4 mcg daily) from their diet.

If your vitamin B12 levels are low, your healthcare provider may recommend an over-the-counter (OTC) supplement or prescription form of vitamin B12. A common dose of OTC vitamin B12 is 1,000 mcg each day.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The RDA is the amount you need to avoid deficiency. That may not be the ideal amount for health, and most supplements have at least one study showing that higher doses are somehow good. Whether that study is any good and whether it would justify the dose being sold is a different question.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hmm.. okay, but that's... 400 times as much?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Most micronutrients don't cause problems if you massively overdose on them; you just excrete the excess. And they don't cost enough to warrant minimizing their presence, and precisely measuring quantities down to the microgram is kind of a pain. So vendors just chuck more than enough in there, because why not?

mystes
May 31, 2006

To put it another way, if you're healthy and eating a normal, varied diet, you probably shouldn't need to take supplements to get the RDA of any vitamins (if you're a vegan maybe you might need to take b12 or something, I don't know).

Because of this, vitamin supplements tend to be predicated on the assumption that the RDAs are wrong, essentially, and you actually need much, much more of them, because if you don't believe that why would you feel the need to take supplements in the first place? However, there isn't really strong evidence that there's really a need for larger amounts of any specific vitamins in general.

A lot of vitamins seem to go through periods where a study will come out showing that taking more has a benefit, and then several years later, a bunch of studies will come out that contradict that. This may be simply because negative results aren't interesting enough to get published until some study gets published that happens to show a benefit from supplementation by sheer chance.

This happened with vitamin E a few years ago and I guess we may still be in a period where a lot of people are hyping vitamin d, but it's fairly likely that now that people are getting excited about vitamin d more negative results will get published.

In the case of vitamin e, a study eventually came out that showed that supplementation actually increased all cause mortality (although this may be less likely with vitamins that aren't fat soluble and can't build up in the body).

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 13, 2024

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Also I don’t think the absorption rate is perfect so some amount of it goes in and comes straight out

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

B12 uptake is active, complicated, and very efficient. Dedicated B12 supplement doses are sized to get sufficient uptake even when all that machinery is broken.

A protein in spit binds to B12 and protects it from stomach acid. Past the stomach, a pancreatic enzyme splits that apart, and it binds to a different protein that was secreted by stomach cells. Then that complex gets actively pumped across the membranes of specific cells located at the end of the small intestine.

The common way B12 deficiency happens is that something is broken in that process, usually autoimmune disease in the stomach/pancreas/terminal illeum, not from insufficient vitamin in food (unless you're a vegan)

You treat deficiency by not relying on normal uptake and just hucking massive amounts of vitamin at the problem. About 1% or so will survive the stomach and be absorbed passively. Excess B12 gets peed out, so it's not a problem if someone with a functional B12 absorption system eats it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok that makes sense, thank you. my B12 is low, but I'm a vegetarian so it makes sense. i also don't consume much dairy. I was thinking about having some greek yogurt each day so I don't have to supplement. The internet says six oz. is 1.3 mcg, so I need about 10 oz. a day to reach 2.4 mcg.

Isn't it also true that excess Vitamin D does not get removed like B12 does? I was watching a frontline video about supplements, and they said you should never go above 4000 IU (100 mcg) no matter what as it increases the risk for vascular issues.

I also take Vitamin D, mainly because I live in an area where we don't get a lot of sun, at least in the winter.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think ideally you would choose whether or not to supplement vitamin d based on blood tests but in practice that's probably not very practical

Without that, I don't think it's possible to give general advice on whether supplementation is a good idea based on the current evidence. There seems to be a lot of disagreement on how common vitamin d deficiency is.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 13, 2024

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

actionjackson posted:

ok that makes sense, thank you. my B12 is low, but I'm a vegetarian so it makes sense. i also don't consume much dairy. I was thinking about having some greek yogurt each day so I don't have to supplement. The internet says six oz. is 1.3 mcg, so I need about 10 oz. a day to reach 2.4 mcg.

Isn't it also true that excess Vitamin D does not get removed like B12 does? I was watching a frontline video about supplements, and they said you should never go above 4000 IU (100 mcg) no matter what as it increases the risk for vascular issues.

I also take Vitamin D, mainly because I live in an area where we don't get a lot of sun, at least in the winter.

Vitamin D is non-polar, and thus cannot be eliminated rapidly by the kidneys. Instead, excess is stored in fat, which is a much slower process. This means your body can't remove an otherwise dangerously high concentration the way it can remove the more water-soluble vitamins like B12 and C.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
You have to take a shitload of vitamin D (or most vitamins) for it to actually become a problem, I think something like 4000 UI per day for a couple months in a row. It's not hard for me to believe that a lot of people are vitamin D deficient if you don't work outside and get a lot of sun, especially in the winter. Most people I've known, including myself, have reported feeling a bit better in the winter when they take vitamin D and it's not exactly harmful or expensive but obviously there's not much control for placebo on that particular anecdote (also I live in canada and we get less sun than most of the world by default). I don't think many people are short on other stuff other than B12.

If the doctor says you're short on B12 you don't need to worry about taking too much considering it's a water-soluble vitamin and you'd need to take so much that it'd be physically difficult to even do it in order to actually overdose.

Flournival Dixon fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 14, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I used to work second shift. Particularly in winter, the only natural light we ever really saw was during the commute to work, in the Sun's last feeble rays, and then the entire rest of the day was spent with blackness outside the windows.

It was something of a rite of passage for each of us to get diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency in the first year or so on that job. :sigh:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I think you played “International Shootout”, or one of the rebrands of it:

https://www.arcade-museum.com/Arcade/international-shoot-out

Holy poo poo, that's 100% it. Thank you!!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

AT&T upgraded our service yesterday from 300 Mbps to 500. However, only their speed test shows the speed at that new level. Everything else shows a slight bump from about 310 Mbps to maybe 330. Is there any way to get them to investigate? I assume they'll just point to their own tool and wash their hands, but it'd be nice of there's some way to get them to loop deeper.
500 is probably the theoretical maximum, ie. the speed you'd get under ideal conditions. Your actual speed will be affected by things like infrastructure and demand. For example, if your internet is delivered via fibre to a node and then copper phone line to the premises then that phone line may be causing a loss of speed. If you're using the internet at the same time as a lot of other people around you then you may be collectively using all of the total available bandwidth. If you call and complain you can probably get them to send someone around to do some testing in your house and see if they can identify the problem, but if it's something like an old phone line then there's probably nothing you can do about it without spending more money than it's worth, and if it's just because of high demand then the only solution is to use the internet at a different time of day when it's less busy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tiggum posted:

500 is probably the theoretical maximum, ie. the speed you'd get under ideal conditions. Your actual speed will be affected by things like infrastructure and demand. For example, if your internet is delivered via fibre to a node and then copper phone line to the premises then that phone line may be causing a loss of speed. If you're using the internet at the same time as a lot of other people around you then you may be collectively using all of the total available bandwidth. If you call and complain you can probably get them to send someone around to do some testing in your house and see if they can identify the problem, but if it's something like an old phone line then there's probably nothing you can do about it without spending more money than it's worth, and if it's just because of high demand then the only solution is to use the internet at a different time of day when it's less busy.

This, and AT&T's speedtest is on their network. Anyone else's will be several hops away from AT&T's border routers and consequently slower.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I know the actual speed depends on lots of factors, it just seems weird that a 66% theoretical improvement would end up being maybe a 10% actual improvement. Especially since I usually saw slightly above 300 Mbps on our previous plan.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
As a nerd who never cared about sports growing up but who loves watching movies, I am not uncommonly confused at how the different ladders of competition stack up re: varsity, junior varsity, intercollegiate, intermurals?

I reckon these most of the time has a fairly specific definition of who plays on these types of teams and who they complete with. But Google isn't helping beyond being very, very vague like "junior varsity may be a step up from intermural sports in terms of commitment and the selection process, athletes may take in more comprehensive recruitment activities and as less likely to know other members of the team beforehand."

Even something seemingly as black and white as whether varsity v. junior varsity reflects an age cut off or a skill level is hard to tease out.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bright Bart posted:

As a nerd who never cared about sports growing up but who loves watching movies, I am not uncommonly confused at how the different ladders of competition stack up re: varsity, junior varsity, intercollegiate, intermurals?

I reckon these most of the time has a fairly specific definition of who plays on these types of teams and who they complete with. But Google isn't helping beyond being very, very vague like "junior varsity may be a step up from intermural sports in terms of commitment and the selection process, athletes may take in more comprehensive recruitment activities and as less likely to know other members of the team beforehand."

Even something seemingly as black and white as whether varsity v. junior varsity reflects an age cut off or a skill level is hard to tease out.

Intramural are casual teams, and a school will usually have multiple of them that just play each other. They may also play teams from other schools but it’s usually just for fun. They generally aren’t regulated by any organizing body. The only exception I know of is that sometimes a sport won’t have JV, varsity, etc, so an IM team in, say, hockey may take on more importance. But 99% of the time it’s just people playing for fun.

Intercollegiate is where the school will only have one team per level, and they play other schools exclusively. This usually is overseen by a governing body (NCAA, NAIA, etc) who sets standards for who is eligible, the rules, etc.

Varsity is the highest level of college competition. Players are often on scholarship, games in the major sports are often on TV, etc. They’re usually a big deal. Importance varies from school to school and sport to sport.

Junior Varsity is a step below varsity. It used to be very common, back when freshmen were not allowed to play on varsity teams, but since the 70s they’ve been allowed to and there aren’t as many JV teams as there used to be. JV is still pretty common in high school, where it’s basically the kids who want to play a sport but can’t make the main varsity team yet.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I miss playing the drums but my apartment is small. I would get an electronic kit anyway because apartment but are there, like, collapsible kits

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, are varsity kids like the ones who are actually talented at a sport, and JV are those with a lot of heart?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Leave posted:

So, are varsity kids like the ones who are actually talented at a sport, and JV are those with a lot of heart?
The ones doing track and field or cross country tend to have the most heart I suspect

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I like beer, a lot. I realised that one of the reasons I like it is that I like the taste of hops.

Can one just buy hops and do something like put it in a salt/pepper grinder and flavour one's drink of water or whatever? Or does hops undergo particular important chemical processes during beermaking that can't be short-cut?

Basically, I was thinking that other than water I don't really know what drinks exist that aren't full of sugar or caffeine, and musing that often when I drink beer it's for the taste of something other than water and not necessarily because I want the alcohol.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

I like beer, a lot. I realised that one of the reasons I like it is that I like the taste of hops.

Can one just buy hops and do something like put it in a salt/pepper grinder and flavour one's drink of water or whatever? Or does hops undergo particular important chemical processes during beermaking that can't be short-cut?

Basically, I was thinking that other than water I don't really know what drinks exist that aren't full of sugar or caffeine, and musing that often when I drink beer it's for the taste of something other than water and not necessarily because I want the alcohol.
There are a bunch of non-alcoholic hop water products now. However, there are also lots of non-alcoholic beers that are supposed to be pretty good now. You definitely should have no problem finding something non-alcoholic that meets your needs now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leave posted:

At the high school level, generally, the JV team is for students who need more experience before they can be competitive with other schools' varsity teams. They practice with the varsity team, play other JV teams, get experience, sometimes are called on to play varsity level if the varsity team is short on players, and hopefully next year get to move up to the varsity squad.

When you have both varsity and JV teams, it is uncommon (but not unheard-of) for a freshman student to be on the varsity team. Those are your "talented" students, who have been engaged with the sport for years before going to high school, and who probably also have some degree of genetics on their side. Most freshmen and many sophomores will be on the JV team though, simply because they probably haven't been playing the sport for long, and need more experience before they can play at a competitive level.

(Plenty of schools can only field one team for most sports, in which case that team is the varsity team, regardless of who is on it)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Hops get boiled and then removed. You could try putting a hops pellet in a tea ball and steeping it like tea? I wouldn't just crumble them into a drink though, it's a pretty intense flavor when you have some directly in your mouth.

There are also non-alcoholic beers that are actually good these days, if that interests you. But if you're looking for cheap not-water drink, the hops tea could be an interesting experiment.

Other cheap not-sugar, not-water ideas:
Herbal tea
Water with a dash of lemon juice, lime juice, rose water, cucumber slices, mint leaves, some combo of the above
Sparkling water / club soda

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alnilam posted:

Hops get boiled and then removed. You could try putting a hops pellet in a tea ball and steeping it like tea? I wouldn't just crumble them into a drink though, it's a pretty intense flavor when you have some directly in your mouth.

There are also non-alcoholic beers that are actually good these days, if that interests you. But if you're looking for cheap not-water drink, the hops tea could be an interesting experiment.

Herbal tea
Water with a dash of lemon juice, lime juice, rose water, cucumber slices, mint leaves, some combo of the above

Thanks, that's good food for thought!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Keep in mind that hops by themselves are fairly bitter and the sugar in the beer balances that out, so stuff like hopwater may be more bitter than you're expecting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When you have both varsity and JV teams, it is uncommon (but not unheard-of) for a freshman student to be on the varsity team. Those are your "talented" students, who have been engaged with the sport for years before going to high school, and who probably also have some degree of genetics on their side. Most freshmen and many sophomores will be on the JV team though, simply because they probably haven't been playing the sport for long, and need more experience before they can play at a competitive level.

My high school had a separate freshman football team as well as JV and varsity teams. I don't know how common that it is but I'm guessing we weren't the only ones.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At the high school level, generally, the JV team is for students who need more experience before they can be competitive with other schools' varsity teams. They practice with the varsity team, play other JV teams, get experience, sometimes are called on to play varsity level if the varsity team is short on players, and hopefully next year get to move up to the varsity squad.

(Plenty of schools can only field one team for most sports, in which case that team is the varsity team, regardless of who is on it)

That's kind of neat. I wasn't a sports kid, so I've never really gotten into it before.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

alnilam posted:

Herbal tea

I drink a lot of sparkling water with lime or lemon and a dash of bitters. The bitters have a little alcohol so if you’re a recovering alcoholic or have to be strict for medical/religious reasons maybe avoid it, but it’s not much so if you’re just cutting back it’s a good drink to have when you don’t want to get drunk or consume a ton of calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I have family that only drinks natural non-alcoholic beer. There are some great tasting ones, also of the IPA variety, but there’s also a lot that just taste like juice or unsweetened lemon water.
Might take take a while to find something you enjoy, but it’s worth it. Just be prepared to pay craft beer prices.

We ended up ordering a crate of our favorite recently. Cheaper, and as a beer drinker, it was nice to have one or two on weekday evenings.

Sodastreamers that only make sparkling water are surprisingly cheap too. Can recommend

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 14, 2024