Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

pentyne posted:

why the gently caress is she moving out of her own house and selling it!?!

Because she hasn't lived there in years and doesn't want to go back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

420 Gank Mid posted:

Because she hasn't lived there in years and doesn't want to go back?
Kids are all grown up, doesn't need all that space, maybe she wants to relocate to somewhere else to restart her life.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

And if you don't feel any need to keep the house, it's a lot easier to move out unilaterally without having to go through a big discussion (argument) with your partner about it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tenebrais posted:

And if you don't feel any need to keep the house, it's a lot easier to move out unilaterally without having to go through a big discussion (argument) with your partner about it.
I think they both had houses but over the course of 8 years she'd essentially moved in with him.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

pentyne posted:

why the gently caress is she moving out of her own house and selling it!?!

He had a house. She had a house an hour away. She left his house and gave back his house key. Since mostly living with him for 8 years her own house feels strange and she feels lonely living alone so she goes to her kids house and starts anew.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Recent story got an update

UPDATE on finding my wife unattractive after her plastic surgery.

quote:

My wife came home yesterday and we finally had a long talk.

She told me that the reason she had the surgery was because her mom and sister talked her into it. They convinced her that she was starting to look old and that I would find someone else to be with if she did not do something. That was why her mom gave her the money for the operations.

Her mom and sister look like Bruce Campbell in Escape From LA. They are the very last people on the planet that should be telling anyone to get plastic surgery. I used some of the comments I read on my post as talking points. I told her that I loved her and that she was the person that I wanted to spend my life with. I told her that the surgery would take a while longer to settle down and that as I got more used to her new face I would learn to appreciate it.

She asked me if I wanted her to see if she could get it reversed. I almost screamed at her. The last thing in the world I want is for her to gently caress up her face more than it already is. I asked her if she could please just leave it and let me get used to it.

We talked for about three hours and we decided that her mom and sister would not be a part of any decisions in our life going forward. She is going to leave her face alone and give me a chance to get used to it. We are going to look for a marriage counselor and maybe individual counselors for each of us. I am going to make an effort to show her every day how I still find her desirable and she is going to make an effort to believe me when I tell her I love her the way she is.

We are going to talk to her mom and sister and tell them that we are taking a break from them. We are going to block them and get our poo poo together before we allow them back into our lives.

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me.

I would like to add that I did not think there were that many guys out there with a weird blue squid lady fetish. It isn't for me but you do you
Affection, empathy, and communication winning the day?! Not in my r/relationships trainwreck thread!

Good OP. Mom and sis can go gently caress themselves.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

DreamingofRoses posted:

Teenagers.txt

My (46F) daughter (13F) doesn’t want to do our weekly family tradition anymore. What should I do?

How is this person in their 40s and so confused about teen behavior that's been normal since forever that they end up writing a whole-rear end novella about it?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

How is this person in their 40s and so confused about teen behavior that's been normal since forever that they end up writing a whole-rear end novella about it?

Well they didn't IMMEDIATELY do that the second they turned twelve, so clearly their kid's not like that!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Near as I can figure:

Grandma's brother is OP's great uncle. OP calls him "uncle" in the post, I guess?
Great uncle's son is OP's first cousin once removed. This appears to be the mastermind behind the tree-theft scheme and OP's nemesis.
His kids are OP's second cousins, but are only mentioned as participating in constant parties and tree-chopping cross-border raids.

I've definitely known families who use "Aunt/Uncle" as shorthand for "older person I'm related to but not directly descended from" and "cousin" as "we share a relatively recent ancestor but who can keep track of exactly where and when, but we're roughly the same age".

In a lot of "ethnic" families, (in my personal experience Indian) "Uncle" and "Aunt" is the term of respect you give to older family friends whom you grew up around. I think it is common with Mediterranean folk too.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Lemniscate Blue posted:

At some point somebody should have explained to this idiot that confessing to cheating places the decision on whether to continue with the relationship entirely in the hands of the person cheated on. They may or may not take the cheating partner's wants into account but you don't get to force anything at that point.

Cheating is lovely, coming clean is better morally than not, but expecting to dictate terms (or really any reaction other than "I accept the consequences of my stupid terrible hurtful decisions") is hosed up on a whole new level.

Yeah, something the guy failed to take into account here: This is the only thing about him loving up their marriage that his wife had any sort of input on. He chose to have an affair, he chose to tell her at his own speed. The choices he made resulted in her being stuck with two options: try and work things out or leave. He got to make all the other decisions, so now she gets to decide, and clearly for her it was an obvious choice.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

It's one thing expecting it to happen, but the first time your kid tells you it's not cool to be seen in public with you still sucks. Everybody knows it's coming and you get used to it, but it's okay to be a bit emotional and maybe want some reassurance.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for being honest about disliking my nephews name?

quote:

My sister gave birth to my nephew in January and she gave him a name that I dislike which is Pnurtis. The two of us have always been so so close and we always swore we would be honest with each other when asked. That has always been our relationship. We feel it keeps us close and stops hard feelings because if we don't want to hear something we just don't ask. There has never been a time I didn't want her honesty so I will ask her anything looking for an honest answer. My sister is a little more sensitive, which there's nothing wrong with that but I get her not asking everything if she feels like it would hurt her feelings.

She asked me what I thought of the name because I was the only one who didn't comment about loving the name, according to her. And I'm not saying every single person she meets compliments the name. Just that those in her and her husband's circle did. So 2/3 weeks after my nephew was born she asked me if I didn't like his name. She said my reaction was very muted and it made her wonder. So I was honest and told her I didn't like the name but reassured her I love my nephew very much. She asked some more questions that I answered honestly and I was even open about names I would use for my future child when asked. My sister made a joke that it was weird to find a topic we were so opposite on (our taste in names) but she was glad we had talked.

I didn't think anything more of it and then a week and a half ago my sister's husband made a sarcastic remark that he was surprised I would spend money on such a nice gift for my nephew (I ordered a custom blanket for him) that has his name on it when I don't even like the name. My sister told him to stop and apologized to me for his reaction. He grumbled and she grumbled back at him. Then he got me alone and told me I had made my sister cry when I told her I disliked my nephew's name. He asked me how I would like it if she said that to me and I told him I would expect her to be honest if she did dislike the name I pick for my future kids and I asked her the question. I said we don't lie to each other and it's been that way since we were kids.

He said he had no idea what kind of name I would like if I dislike Pnurtis and if I dislike the middle name too but it takes a special kind of lovely person to tell a new parent they dislike the name they chose for their kid. And he said I broke my sister's heart which should make me so ashamed.

I spoke to my sister after that and apologized for upsetting her. She wanted to know where I learned it but answered herself before she finished the question. She apologized to me and admitted she was upset but that she should have known better than to ask the question, that I didn't go out of my way to give feedback on the name and she knows herself better than that. She apologized for her husband again and told me not to listen. But then her husband reached out again and told me my sister is trying to spare my feelings. So AITA?

the actual name is Philip

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

WIBTA if I (33F) told my friend/roomate (32F) that she ruined a 4 year old D&D campain?

quote:

We are a group of six friends that have been playing a D&D homebrew campain for a little over 4 years. This saturday was part 2 of the Big Boss Fight. We were going to finish off the campain with an epic combat. We had actually started the combat the previous saturday, (we play D&D almost every saturday) and were going to finally defeat the "wannabe god" that threatened to destroy the world. My roommate (32F) resently got a boyfriend and she was invited to a party this saturday. She told me that she had said to her boyfriend that D&D was really important to her and that saturday was D&D day, so if we finished early then she would come to the party, if not she would go back home with me. Her boyfriend lives over an hour away by bus/train. So back to saturday, we finally killed the BB, and before anyone gets to calm down from the fight or celebrate or even talk about what we just did, my friend interups out DM and asks if the session is over soon? She wants to make a train that leaves in 10 min or she'll have to wait an hour for the next. This was around 6 in the evening. I noticed that my other friends especially the DM got a little stunned and he answered that yes its coming close to the end of the session, She then gets up from the table and starts packing her stuff while the DM is trying to recount what happens after the fight, what will happen next time (the epilogue), and I missed most of what he said because I was so shocked and her packing was really disrupting. She then said goodbye to everyone and told me to have a nice evening (it was my birthday) and then she left. I just sat there and wondered what the hell had just happened. We did not do our normally after session talk, were we recount significant moments that happened in the session, funny moments etc. I feel like she robbed us of the ending to our 4 year campain. WIBTA if I told her that I think she was really rude and ruined the campain just so she could go to a party with her boyfriend eventhough she had said that D&D came before the party?

NEEEEERRRRRDDDDDD

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mx. posted:

Like those screwdrivers?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
That dnd story is a good reminder that you can pretty much do anything so long as you give a heads up.

Also, we have a weekly thing that's way easier to reschedule than a one time event

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Nocheez posted:

Like those screwdrivers?

Like the flops

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Nocheez posted:

Like those screwdrivers?

Like what you do when you go to a gas station???

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

PancakeTransmission posted:

That sounds like an ultimatum to me!

Maybe you should think about why it matters so much that you set a timer on your relationships. You could have probably left that one much earlier if you paid attention to how he was treating you.

(But OP is still TA, and the ex boyfriend gets to truthfully tell everyone how he was ghosted without explanation and comes out looking better than her)

She straight up told him when they started there was a time limit. That's not an ultimatum. And if she wants to have kids, there is absolutely already a timer going. She's in her 30s now. Her fertility has already dropped dramatically. That starts around 27. They started dating at 25, so her concerns are not unreasonable.

She gave him 2 extra years and then realized it was never going to happen. Honestly, good for her for having her limits.

It became clear within a couple weeks that my husband and I were pretty wild about each other and had the potential to be a long-term couple. He already had been married (and had been going through a contentious divorce for 3 years by the time we started dating. Crazy ex, 4 kids, all the makings of drama.) So, I told him, straight up, that my desire for the future involved marriage and kids. I understood he had already been there and done that, and he was more than welcome to not do it again, but then we would not be exclusive and I'd continue looking. To his credit, he took a few days to think about it before deciding that it was something he wanted too. And now we've been married for 20 years (today!) We have a kid, and we still have very blunt and open conversations. We went to couple's therapy 2 years in to improve our communication, and I fully credit the longevity of our relationship to doing that.

People NEED to have those conversations, or they end up trapped in relationships with fundamental incompatibilities. I think OP is NOT the AH, and if the BF tells people he was ghosted with no explanation, he's lying. He knew what she wanted and was content to string her along.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Mx. posted:

Who doesn't want their kid named after the first man on Mars?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Who doesn't want their kid named after the first man on Mars?

John Boone?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

For the D&D game, I think the OP has a thing for the roommate and this reaction is really jealousy of her wanting to spend time with her new boyfriend instead of just hanging out with the D&D crew indefinitely. Skipping out on the end of the campaign would be a dick move since the big final fight wouldn't work right with her missing, but she didn't do that. She came in for the part of the game that needed her so the campaign she had been running with friends could come to an end, then went ahead and left after the campaign was ended. Nothing she did stopped the DM from giving an epilogue to the campaign or the other people from talking about what happened, they just chose not to keep having fun. Calling her packing 'disruptive' is absurd since it's established she was trying to leave in less than ten minutes - even if it was in the way, we're talking 'wait five minutes to give the epilogue talk, someone probably has to hit the bathroom anyway' and not 'we spent the next hour listening to comically loud packing noises while trying to resolve things'. And since she was on the train within 10 minutes, she couldn't get in the way of people talking about the session because she wasn't even in the area. (I do doubt that it really disrupted most of the group from anything - I suspect it's really only OP that was affected much)

If OP doesn't come to her senses and does confront her, she'll probably be looking for a new roommate really soon. I can't see her wanting to keep living with someone so overtly controlling and possessive of her. And if this group is really this disrupted by someone finishing the session and taking a train at a certain time, they need to learn to deal with life as adults, because people with jobs, multiple friend groups, multiple interests, kids, partners, and the like will sometimes end up leaving a session kind of early and that should not be a big deal. [edit: corrected pronouns]

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 13, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Like the flops
:golfclap:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

For the D&D game, I think the OP has a thing for the roommate and this reaction is really jealousy of her wanting to spend time with her new boyfriend instead of just hanging out with the D&D crew indefinitely. Skipping out on the end of the campaign would be a dick move since the big final fight wouldn't work right with her missing, but she didn't do that. She came in for the part of the game that needed her so the campaign she had been running with friends could come to an end, then went ahead and left after the campaign was ended. Nothing she did stopped the DM from giving an epilogue to the campaign or the other people from talking about what happened, they just chose not to keep having fun. Calling her packing 'disruptive' is absurd since it's established she was trying to leave in less than ten minutes - even if it was in the way, we're talking 'wait five minutes to give the epilogue talk, someone probably has to hit the bathroom anyway' and not 'we spent the next hour listening to comically loud packing noises while trying to resolve things'. And since she was on the train within 10 minutes, she couldn't get in the way of people talking about the session because she wasn't even in the area. (I do doubt that it really disrupted most of the group from anything - I suspect it's really only OP that was affected much)

If OP doesn't come to his senses and does confront her, he'll probably be looking for a new roommate really soon. I can't see her wanting to keep living with someone so overtly controlling and possessive of her. And if this group is really this disrupted by someone finishing the session and taking a train at a certain time, they need to learn to deal with life as adults, because people with jobs, multiple friend groups, multiple interests, kids, partners, and the like will sometimes end up leaving a session kind of early and that should not be a big deal.

OP is another woman. She might still have a thing for her friend regardless, but platonic jealousy is very much a thing too. Some people can't cope with their buddies spending time with a new SO instead of them, especially when they have an established routine.

I get the impression OP might just honestly care about the game more than she cares about her friend, who probably was never as into the game in the first place. OP thinks of this as the culmination of the 4 year campaign and the entire reason they've spent all this time on it; her friend (and probably most of the rest of the group) just thought of the D&D game as a fun way to pass the time with friends and enjoyed it for that sake, so skipping out on the epilogue doesn't impact her enjoyment of the hundreds of hours she'd spent playing with them before.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

redshirt posted:

John Boone?

Actually the kids name is Coyote

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BrideOfUglycat posted:

She straight up told him when they started there was a time limit. That's not an ultimatum. And if she wants to have kids, there is absolutely already a timer going. She's in her 30s now. Her fertility has already dropped dramatically. That starts around 27. They started dating at 25, so her concerns are not unreasonable.

She gave him 2 extra years and then realized it was never going to happen. Honestly, good for her for having her limits.

It became clear within a couple weeks that my husband and I were pretty wild about each other and had the potential to be a long-term couple. He already had been married (and had been going through a contentious divorce for 3 years by the time we started dating. Crazy ex, 4 kids, all the makings of drama.) So, I told him, straight up, that my desire for the future involved marriage and kids. I understood he had already been there and done that, and he was more than welcome to not do it again, but then we would not be exclusive and I'd continue looking. To his credit, he took a few days to think about it before deciding that it was something he wanted too. And now we've been married for 20 years (today!) We have a kid, and we still have very blunt and open conversations. We went to couple's therapy 2 years in to improve our communication, and I fully credit the longevity of our relationship to doing that.

People NEED to have those conversations, or they end up trapped in relationships with fundamental incompatibilities. I think OP is NOT the AH, and if the BF tells people he was ghosted with no explanation, he's lying. He knew what she wanted and was content to string her along.

She could have proposed to him

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

I mean it didn’t sound confused? It sounded like she’s trying to come to terms with things. And she’s also dealing with the dilemma of letting your kids grow up and spread their wings while hoping she can maintain her sense of closeness & communication & family with them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrideOfUglycat posted:

I can almost understand why she ended things the way she did, because a clean break is better than e.g. breaking up and living together for months until the lease ends. But she spent a lot of time and effort arranging things so that she could ghost him, for revenge. It sounds exhausting. Just break up and leave.

Edit: And LOL at the notion that he "stole her youth" and her life is over at 30. Did he keep her in a pumpkin shell?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 13, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The Bramble posted:

Actually the kids name is Coyote

Nirgal!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Ominous Jazz posted:

Like the philops

ftfy

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

the holy poopacy posted:

OP is another woman. She might still have a thing for her friend regardless, but platonic jealousy is very much a thing too. Some people can't cope with their buddies spending time with a new SO instead of them, especially when they have an established routine.

I get the impression OP might just honestly care about the game more than she cares about her friend, who probably was never as into the game in the first place. OP thinks of this as the culmination of the 4 year campaign and the entire reason they've spent all this time on it; her friend (and probably most of the rest of the group) just thought of the D&D game as a fun way to pass the time with friends and enjoyed it for that sake, so skipping out on the epilogue doesn't impact her enjoyment of the hundreds of hours she'd spent playing with them before.

I got the pronouns wrong in the second part since I went away and came back partway through writing this, but I was thinking of her as a she. That reads a lot more as "I have a crush" than "I have friend jealousy", but it might be my friend groups - I know way more women who are interested in women than who have extremely strong and controlling friend jealousy issues. In either case, it's still the kind of behavior that is likely to drive 'roommate' to move in with someone who isn't interested in controlling her, whether it's based on friendship, sex, or romance.

I agree with your read on how Roomate views the game and skipping out on the epilogue, but the OP's response doesn't read to me as just 'more into the game'.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Communal cooking lady did point out that her two eldest hadn't chosen this particular thing to jettison. It is hard to give you a family custom you cherish, but hello adulthood

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FMguru posted:

Affection, empathy, and communication winning the day?! Not in my r/relationships trainwreck thread!

Good OP. Mom and sis can go gently caress themselves.

lol imagine how hosed up you'd look if you went back to the plastic surgeon and told them to put the skin flaps back on your face

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

lol imagine how hosed up you'd look if you went back to the plastic surgeon and told them to put the skin flaps back on your face

Just hopping onto the chair and saying "gimme the CTRL-Z, doc."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

WIBTA if I (33F) told my friend/roomate (32F) that she ruined a 4 year old D&D campain?

NEEEEERRRRRDDDDDD

Oh no I can't believe someone trying to catch a train was in a rush, how terrible

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

redshirt posted:

John Boone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmFA5aHg7Y&t=17s

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Mx. posted:

I feel like 90% of Phils are generally decent guys and 90% of Philips are loving psychos so this could go either way I guess

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have named him Horselover

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

FMguru posted:

I did not realize that Bruce Campbell was in Escape from LA, so I had to go look it up. No wonder I didn't recognize him. Yikes.

Vim Fuego posted:

She could have proposed to him

It sounds like he had an excuse every time she brought up marriage. "I'm not at a point in my career where we should get married. I'm not living where I want to live to be married and start a family. I don't have enough savings to get married and start a family." And she said he'd make promises but then not follow through. Chances are good that he would turn her down if she proposed for those same reasons. Additionally, it does sound like they discussed what they wanted from an engagement, and a lot of people still stand by the tradition.

Halloween Jack posted:

I can almost understand why she ended things the way she did, because a clean break is better than e.g. breaking up and living together for months until the lease ends. But she spent a lot of time and effort arranging things so that she could ghost him, for revenge. It sounds exhausting. Just break up and leave.

Edit: And LOL at the notion that he "stole her youth" and her life is over at 30. Did he keep her in a pumpkin shell?

Yeah, I agree. I would not have been able to do it. Living with someone when you're done with a relationship is HARD. Pretending everything is normal at the same time? HOW? Was she feeling the "gently caress that guy for crunching while he eats crackers" stage of resentment there at the end?

(That said, "stole her youth" probably does link back to her fertility concerns. He really did waste her time there, but that's a reason to break up, not a reason to just disappear.)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i was with my wife for about 7 years before she crammed a ring on my finger and told me to stop loving about. was very against marriage and kids and all that since i had a few failed marriages before that and didnt want to deal with it.

was a good slap in the face i deserved. it will be like 12 years in august. some guys need an ultimatum. especially stupid ones like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

idiotsavant posted:

I feel like 90% of Phils are generally decent guys and 90% of Philips are loving psychos so this could go either way I guess

Philip isn't super high on my list of "Names for which people using the full name and not the nickname are worse."
I'm sure it's very individualized, but Patrick is up there for me.