Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
I loving hate the boss rush in chapter 12. gently caress Rufus Shinra and his loving dog. I've died half a dozen times and had to quit for the night so I get to loving fight the turks again tomorrow now. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The sound mix in this game sucks so much. It's my only criticism.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hoffadoff posted:

I loving hate the boss rush in chapter 12. gently caress Rufus Shinra and his loving dog. I've died half a dozen times and had to quit for the night so I get to loving fight the turks again tomorrow now. Yay.

Use the punisher mode counter on the dog and he’ll melt very quickly.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Can Cait Sith and Aerith enjoyers post the equipment and materia they're using to have them be such good damage dealers please? Because I'm following the instructions people are posting for abilities to use and combat advice but they're still doing like next to no damage compared to Yuffie who rips through everything.

Edit: also how the heck you keep them alive when they're both made of glass compared to Barret's crazy defense or Yuffie the dodge queen?

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 13, 2024

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Aerith for me was this order in fights
Radiant ward for atb generation.
Arcane ward for damage or stagger.

If it's a multi trash mob fight chrono aegis or sorcerial storm works great. Large mobs you can change.

Large mobs I just threw out a fully charged attack for atb and the familiar then put out the wards.

Materia was basically all the dual element magic and comet with synergy or auto cast on them. Precision defense is great too if you've being trying to use it. Then whatever stat up ones you wanna add like magic n speed.

When using bodyguard synergy, remember to book it or ward warp cause it may swap aggro being right beside the person tanking is just gonna get you slammed.

This game needs a training dummy mode.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

D.Fuzzbot posted:

This game needs a training dummy mode.

Make it a (Costa Del Sol spoiler) Johnny clone

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The best way to get ATB for Aerith at the start of a fight is spell blade on Cloud.

Her magic attack is so far beyond the other characters that if you cast spells on arcane ward you'll do limit break damage.

If you don't want to get hurt just press triangle and leave.

Don't sit on her playing the game. Use synergy skills to get ATB, switch and drop the hammer, then switch. She's a black mage (or white mage I guess but I would waste her on healing), not a fighter, and should be used to instantly dumpster enemies rather than duke it out with them.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
There are so many good little cute touches in this game. My favorite so far is (Gold Saucer spoiler) the Test 0 enemy in the Dustbowl coliseum at the bottom of the well. Really cute nod to this debug enemy that got left in as an encounter in the same spot in the initial JP release of the PS1 original

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
holy poo poo, you fuckers, square, you put the best QoL option behind a clear game save? auto cratfing materials pickup

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

JBP posted:

The sound mix in this game sucks so much. It's my only criticism.

It's true, and it reminds me a lot of movies with the same issue. It's nice that there are subtitles but come on guys, stop mixing the bgm so loving loudly when people are trying to talk.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The sound mix on the last two chapters also got wonky in a weird way, like the voices were underwater or muffled, i think it was a bug

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thundarr posted:

It's true, and it reminds me a lot of movies with the same issue. It's nice that there are subtitles but come on guys, stop mixing the bgm so loving loudly when people are trying to talk.

I restarted one fight repeatedly to try and make the dialogue somewhat audible by changing settings, but it's basically impossible. This wasn't an issue in remake so I don't know how they hosed up so badly in this one.

I also tried playing with my headphones on and it was kind of better, but still overall terrible.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently it was already an issue in the PS5 version of Remake but not the PS4 one so I wonder if they hosed ip the 3D audio somehow.

Didn't notice it for a while since I was playing in JP with subs anyway but it seems to have gotten worse as the game goes on lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It completely ruins the chapter 12 arena battles because the best part of wall market arena was the commentary. Skotch and Kotch are doing the same great calls of the fight, but you can't hear poo poo from them no matter how much you gently caress with the mix. You basically have to open the menu to hear their dialogue.

Like I can deal with the music absolutely blaring over two characters conversing during a sidequest. I just read the subtitles and deal with it, but for a scene where there is dialogue that is meant to complement the action and reading subs isn't viable, it's a 0/10 for audio because it actively makes the segment suck.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 13, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Turn up the centre channel on your soundbar/surround setup and if you’re not using either of those things then I guess you’re SOL.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

Turn up the centre channel on your soundbar/surround setup and if you’re not using either of those things then I guess you’re SOL.

I'm using Sony H9 cans designed specifically for the system while playing an exclusive title.

Also your suggestion doesn't work either.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don't know how hard this is but shouldn't surround when outputting to stereo just like, split the difference? It's prob hard because even streaming movies from my desktop to my tv and if they have more than two channels it doesn't sound right

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

I don't know how hard this is but shouldn't surround when outputting to stereo just like, split the difference? It's prob hard because even streaming movies from my desktop to my tv and if they have more than two channels it doesn't sound right

IIRC the usual method for downmixing does split the centre channel between L and R evenly but at a reduced volume, which seems like it only serves to make the dialogue problem worse but I am not an audio engineer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JBP posted:

I'm in love with Aerith don't do this to me game lmao

That’s life. I’m sorry.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

JBP posted:

The best way to get ATB for Aerith at the start of a fight is spell blade on Cloud.

Her magic attack is so far beyond the other characters that if you cast spells on arcane ward you'll do limit break damage.

If you don't want to get hurt just press triangle and leave.

Don't sit on her playing the game. Use synergy skills to get ATB, switch and drop the hammer, then switch. She's a black mage (or white mage I guess but I would waste her on healing), not a fighter, and should be used to instantly dumpster enemies rather than duke it out with them.

I am dumb and on chapter 11 but have basically never engaged with the synergy system at all. It makes no sense to me to be because it seems like spamming square always seems to do more damage and all those abilities are sluggish and/or end up putting two characters together so they both get hit instead of just one. Someone please explain to me when/how I am supposed to use it.

Sometimes I get synergy actions charged up but those are like once per boss battle.

Edit: Am I supposed to be blocking? I basically only dodge and that's been working fine for me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Synergy actions run off the little blue pips under each character’s ATB meter. You fill the pips by spending ATB on that character and if you’re cycling through characters regularly like the game intends you’ll have plenty of synergy available.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Even if you don't use most of the synergy skills, Cloud + Aerith is a no brainer because it's so easy to use for so much return. Just hold the button down a few seconds and let it go for massive damage and a huge ATB boost for both of them. Heck sometimes that alone kills half the enemies in a fight. The only time it doesn't work is if the targets have the zoomies, which just means you do something to get them to hold still first.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any of the charged attack synergy skills will hit like a truck. Cloud has magical ones with Aerith and Yuffie and physical ones with Tifa and Cait Sith. Yuffie can also do magical ranged charged attacks with Aerith and I think Red XIII (if I remember correctly) that also change element based on her active ninjutsu and hit like a level-2 elemental spell for no ATB or MP.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the environmental details are really great. they didnt have to make a display of the mako cannon toys or put a bunch of little figurines on a table but they did

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Counterfire can be used while in punisher mode meaning you can parry both melee and ranged attacks.

You can ignore the synergy system but it's a lotta damage and utility you miss out on if you're at least not using the synergy abilities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mistermojo posted:

the environmental details are really great. they didnt have to make a display of the mako cannon toys or put a bunch of little figurines on a table but they did

Yeah the level of detail in the environment is fantastic. So nany unique little details

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

It is very strange to me the things that this game painfully emphasizes and provides repeated guidance for (Chadley explaining that I need to find X each and every time in every zone) are all the obvious stuff while systems that are very unintuitive like synergy you get one single pop-up at the beginning of the game when you barely have anything unlocked at all and then you're on your own.

It probably hasn't helped me that Yuffie is so OP that I am demolishing every single fight when I can use her even on Dynamic difficulty.

I know I'm complaining a lot but I really love this game though which just makes the parts that are just really painful more grating.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rosalind posted:

Edit: Am I supposed to be blocking? I basically only dodge and that's been working fine for me.

You're supposed to be perfect guarding everything you can. It generates more ATB and often knocks over the enemy.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah took me until like chapter 12 to get out of the dark souls habit of dodging instead of blocking

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do feel like Rebirth wants you to dodge a bit more often than Remake did, especially with the semi-common enemy behavior where they get pressured when you dodge one of their attacks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It bears repeating that Barret is ridiculous in this game. I've got most of the buffs to Overcharge damage/stagger/charge rate active, plus an ATB Stagger materia on him, and I legitimately can't spend ATB fast enough.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Hoffadoff posted:

Funny enough that rush was difficult in my first playthrough twenty years ago as well as in the remake.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Note all the synergy skills are not equal. Some are clearly much better than others so experiment.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
could they really not have come up with a better set of names than "Synergy Skill" and "Synergy Ability", is my question

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalind posted:

It is very strange to me the things that this game painfully emphasizes and provides repeated guidance for (Chadley explaining that I need to find X each and every time in every zone) are all the obvious stuff while systems that are very unintuitive like synergy you get one single pop-up at the beginning of the game when you barely have anything unlocked at all and then you're on your own.

It probably hasn't helped me that Yuffie is so OP that I am demolishing every single fight when I can use her even on Dynamic difficulty.

I know I'm complaining a lot but I really love this game though which just makes the parts that are just really painful more grating.

Chadley literally has challenges for the characters and basic mechanics that pop up the tutorials and you can check the tutorials again from the menu.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Not that it's super surprising but it's looking like there might be a standalone mobile version of Queen's Blood being planned

https://noisypixel.net/square-enix-considering-further-expansions-of-final-fantasy-vii-rebirth-queens-blood/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There are a lot of cool strats you can pull off in QB (and have them done to you by the AI) but is there a more effective strategy than overrunning the board and keeping your opponent from playing? Has done me well so far. I still use the prebuilt deck that incudes Midgarsormr I made 30 hours ago.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I havent played much queens blood but I accidentally made a deck that was just stat enhancing cards so I ended up winning one match something like 40 - 0

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Pretty much ifrit and chococo n moogle combo carried me through pretty much all of the matches.

My bf tried for a bit and just had that mindflayer and king tonberry combo that just did not care if the opponent took over most of the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

There are a lot of cool strats you can pull off in QB (and have them done to you by the AI) but is there a more effective strategy than overrunning the board and keeping your opponent from playing? Has done me well so far. I still use the prebuilt deck that incudes Midgarsormr I made 30 hours ago.

It's a good strategy but falters against some deck (particularly anything that excels at destroying/replacing) and is a horrible choice for Survival or some of the challenges.