Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Splash Attack posted:

oh yeah that's funny. it's just that i was aware that darkid had faked his death but i hadn't heard from what because i was dealing with my friend dying from cancer to keep up with the legends thread. so when i started on page 1562 after the last thread got goldmined and saw the first post announcing his cancer it felt like getting a sucker punch when i realized what he had pretended to die from

That's poo poo, I'm sorry to hear about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Autisanal Cheese posted:

was maybe thinking of trying Dragon's Dogma 2 but...

nooooo I hate this type of poo poo

I read there's a sphinx whose riddle you can only attempt once per playthrough lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Leal posted:

He just remembered that one gambling goon who faked his death and was found out when he started playing call of duty, he was planning ahead

he stands on the shoulders of giants.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

it's annoying as a completionist but it's good in a "the world exists and you are one part of it" sense. So many games make the world revolve around you so it's refreshing

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
first playthroughs should be about stumbling through the world like a moron and unintentionally loving up half the lives you encounter, free yourself from the ideals of blind completionism and accept boc getting turned into a pasty dying gamer

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Am I remembering DD1 right that you can only keep an early character alive by like, going way out of your way early on to get to a place you have no reason to be, in order to save them?

I think I remember doing it and just having to run past a bunch of different fights because the area leading up to it was just way too hard.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given what I've seen of the casual lies I'm like lol thedarkid just could not stand to be outdone at literally anything

I knew guys like that in middle/high school, but I don't think I've ever personally met an adult version.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Psycho Landlord posted:

Homeworld manual was the best manual of all time

There was an odd amount of depth in that universe, with all the little chapters about some of the conflicts that arise during the construction of the mothership. I think there was an rear end in a top hat religious zealot or something trying to turn the public against it and he ends up standing underneath one of the engines and gets vaporized lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Old PC game manuals kicked rear end. I used to read the Baldur's Gate II and Civ II manuals for fun lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the manual i remember most as a kid is link to the pasts just because it has the sickest art ever

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Violen posted:

the manual i remember most as a kid is link to the pasts just because it has the sickest art ever

It also came with a neat little booklet of hints that was sealed with a triforce sticker so you could show off that you completed the game with the seal intact

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I did like the manuals that gave you answers to in-game questions. Getting them right gave you bonuses and getting them wrong gave you maluses. The original Civilization was great and exhaustive on how to play the game.

But for getting someone excited there was nothing like a manual with great art, yeah.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my favorite zelda art ever is from the links awakening guide

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Old PC game manuals kicked rear end. I used to read the Baldur's Gate II and Civ II manuals for fun lol

Bringing the Civ tech tree foldout to class and just kind of staring it because staying up until 4 AM playing it wasn't enough, lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bicyclops posted:

Bringing the Civ tech tree foldout to class and just kind of staring it because staying up until 4 AM playing it wasn't enough, lol

I'm in this post and I don't like it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tarnop posted:

I'm in this post and I don't like it

I’m in it and I do like it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

like years and years ago i got a complete set of Wing Commander games on ebay for like $20 and they had all the documentation including poo poo like blueprints, and ship magazines written in-universe. it was sick

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

like years and years ago i got a complete set of Wing Commander games on ebay for like $20 and they had all the documentation including poo poo like blueprints, and ship magazines written in-universe. it was sick

Right when Skyrim first came out, Amazon had a sale where you could buy all 5 Elder Scrolls games for $15 very briefly, like in a nice case that came with all the maps. I think most of the discs just kicked off installing the games through Steam but it was fun to convince myself I was going to play Arena for a couple of hours.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Autisanal Cheese posted:

lol play Mizzurna Falls you'll REALLY love that one

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Bicyclops posted:

Right when Skyrim first came out, Amazon had a sale where you could buy all 5 Elder Scrolls games for $15 very briefly, like in a nice case that came with all the maps. I think most of the discs just kicked off installing the games through Steam but it was fun to convince myself I was going to play Arena for a couple of hours.

i have this, the maps are really freaking cool, and the physical case itself is pretty sweet too. also came with a Steam key for all TES, think i raffled that off

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Am I remembering DD1 right that you can only keep an early character alive by like, going way out of your way early on to get to a place you have no reason to be, in order to save them?

I think I remember doing it and just having to run past a bunch of different fights because the area leading up to it was just way too hard.

I knew guys like that in middle/high school, but I don't think I've ever personally met an adult version.

quina's quest? yeah.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Bicyclops posted:

Same but with AoE, AoE II, and Age of Mythology

copy
Jul 26, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Phantasy Star IV is the best Phantasy Star, 100% holds up

I've never seen this newspaper and the GOG version doesn't have it :(

found somebody took pics of it and posted them. came in the box of the game of the year edition

https://imgur.com/a/8KR6i

remember talking with my dad about this because he loved conspiracy theory poo poo lol

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Violen posted:

my favorite zelda art ever is from the links awakening guide

I loving love Katsuya Terada's art. It's all so, so good.

It all feels very Moebius to me, and often has a sense of tension that doesn't really exist in the games it's made for.
A Zelda game that managed to look anything like this would go absolutely crazy.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I miss game guide monster art where the artists only had a small non descript 8 bit sprite to base their drawings on. Zelda had some crazy game guide monster art.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I remember beelining gunpowder so I could age advance faster than all the other civs, then start mining new resources and building railroads before anyone even knew they might exist. Also resetting until I got the 2 settler start.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Been playing Link Between Worlds before bed and I'm amazed this hasn't been ported to Switch

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heath posted:

Been playing Link Between Worlds before bed and I'm amazed this hasn't been ported to Switch

It was awesome having a brief period of time when you could play every Zelda game as long as you had both a 3DS and a Wii U. I hope they port more over to the Switch, there's really no reason it can't handle stuff like the Windwaker sequels.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bicyclops posted:

It was awesome having a brief period of time when you could play every Zelda game as long as you had both a 3DS and a Wii U. I hope they port more over to the Switch, there's really no reason it can't handle stuff like the Windwaker sequels.

the technology to play every MGS game exclusively existed, for the PlayStation 3

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

LazyMaybe posted:

I loving love Katsuya Terada's art. It's all so, so good.

I've read his monkey king art book in a library and his art is so good

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i would like all the zeldas and all the pokemons to be on the switch

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i would like all the zeldas and all the pokemons to be on the switch

It is entirely possible to achieve.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

you can play every mainline final fantasy game up to and including 12 (aside from the mmo) on the switch which is pretty neat imo

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
LBW is my favourite 2D Zelda

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”
no one has ever finished arena

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've really come around on the 3DS. I got one in like 2012 and I don't think I bought any actual 3DS games until SMT4 (actually the first thing I played on it was Glory of Heracles, lol.) I loved the original DS a lot so I mostly just kept playing those games. But now with the full 3DS library out I've been hitting some of the stuff I missed and I'm like oh a lot of these are actually pretty great games. All the Kirby games are fantastic, Mario 3D Land is surprisingly robust, Starfox 3D whips rear end, and the DQ7 remake is probably my favorite DQ game

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

in middle school i was completely obsessed with starsiege (the mech one, not tribes). the version i had also came with a supplementary booklet that was just lore (hosted online here, very cool). the prima strategy guide was also like 1/3 lore including a few short stories. so badass. why arent games like this anymore. i still like to read this stuff.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Game manuals were badass. A forgotten art

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Someone in the imp zone monster design thread posted the link to the past manual and it was just such a treat to look at the old art again

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

sid meier's alpha centauri had the best manual of all time. read that thing multiple times like it was just a book. no coincidence that it's still the best 4x ever made also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

hell yeah