Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Pixel 7a perhaps? Depends how much they want to spend really, but the 7a seems to tick all those boxes.

Thanks for the advice, I passed it along. Yes, they were looking for something more budget. But yeah, we're kinda concluding that there are just not many options for that little money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dancer posted:

Thanks for the advice, I passed it along. Yes, they were looking for something more budget. But yeah, we're kinda concluding that there are just not many options for that little money.

Yeah I think most places just assume you'll have a phone for a maximum of 2/3 years so they don't bother with updates beyond that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Duckman2008 posted:

Big question is what was and what is your monthly rate? 2nd is did you buy any new phones, or was it all BYOD? If it was BYOD you can go wherever you want.

I can get you a quote for Verizon, I just need to know those two answers, and also do all 4 lines need mobile hotspot?

You can post here or PM me.

All devices are BYOD.
Previously, between the 2 plans, we were at about $170-180 total. New plan was supposed to be $185 before 20% discount.
Only 3 of the lines will ever use mobile hotspot, and it doesn't need to be a lot, we only use it when traveling.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Quick little 1 month check-in since porting into US Mobile:

Service has been great overall and consistent on their Warp 5G network (their brand for Verizon). Calls have been clear and no drops. Don't have much else to say really. Solid MVNO.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

All devices are BYOD.
Previously, between the 2 plans, we were at about $170-180 total. New plan was supposed to be $185 before 20% discount.
Only 3 of the lines will ever use mobile hotspot, and it doesn't need to be a lot, we only use it when traveling.

Verizon 4 lines with mobile hotspot is $180 + tax ($45 a line).

There’s a BYOD promo, it would be $140 before tax, about $165 with tax (3 year promo before going to $180 before tax).

If a line doesn’t need mobile hotspot, that line would be $25 (for 3 years, usually $30).

So $35 + $35 + $35 + $25 = $130 before tax, $155 with tax. For 3 years, not permanent.

You would get priority data and mobile hotspot (unless a line is on the lower plan), so that’s a nice benefit. Pricing is certainly close.

Do not feel obligated, but If you need someone to call you to get setup, PM me, I can always offer to have a co worker call you, they could waive all the activation fees at least.

If any of the family members are military, first responders , nurse or teacher, you can get an extra $20 off.

Let me know what questions you have.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Looking at a new phone. Thinking about galaxy s24, but wife requests that I switch to iphone. I am still on my first smart phone, a galaxy note 5. Being old and stuck in my ways, the feature I think I care most about is the back button and switch between apps button. They are virtual buttons on my device, but they are always there and have fairly consistent behavior across apps. Do these exist today? Is it swipe from the bottom or whatever? Does brand matter here? Home buttons are long gone I think, at least as a physical button, but does android vs ios matter in this department?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Epitope posted:

Looking at a new phone. Thinking about galaxy s24, but wife requests that I switch to iphone. I am still on my first smart phone, a galaxy note 5. Being old and stuck in my ways, the feature I think I care most about is the back button and switch between apps button. They are virtual buttons on my device, but they are always there and have fairly consistent behavior across apps. Do these exist today? Is it swipe from the bottom or whatever? Does brand matter here? Home buttons are long gone I think, at least as a physical button, but does android vs ios matter in this department?

Nah, it’s muscle memory you’ll be fine in like, 1 or 2 days tops. Apple has a back button that is digital and appears when necessary, etc.

Whether you get a Samsung or iPhone is up to you, both are great. If you are in the US check your local carrier, they’ll usually offer you a discount in exchange for a 3 year contract, which I think you would be ok with.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Epitope posted:

You can still have the virtual buttons on the S24, but you can switch to gesture navigation in the settings.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Does anyone have any experience with mint mobile up in the Pennsylvania area? Family is looking to get off our xfinity plan where we have 3 phones with 3 gigs of data per month, because we're paying 150 a month for that poo poo and customer support is garbage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with mint mobile up in the Pennsylvania area? Family is looking to get off our xfinity plan where we have 3 phones with 3 gigs of data per month, because we're paying 150 a month for that poo poo and customer support is garbage.

Mint used T-Mobile , so I would look up T-Mobile coverage.

PA it’ll just vary on what part of the state.

General fyi, Verizon prepaid is $35 + $5 taxes per line, so about $120 a month. 10GB of data each.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
We're homebodies so a large data cap isn't super important but that's still cheaper at least.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

We're homebodies so a large data cap isn't super important but that's still cheaper at least.

Yeah, more and more you’ll see most plans be unlimited data (albeit with data prioritization) because it’s just easier than nickel and diming over a few GBs.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
My wife and I are looking for to snag some new phones, and are willing to change providers/join a family plan together to do it. I'm using a Galaxy S20 with Mint and she's using a Galaxy Note 10 on T-Mobile.

It's been forever since I've used any service but random prepaid providers and I've bought older, used, unlocked phones through Swappa or friends in the past.

Ideally we'd like discounted phones in exchange for signing up for a 2-year deal or whatever, and it's absolutely impossible to use Google to find any helpful information anymore, so I'd love some goon input on what a good option would be for us.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

My wife and I are looking for to snag some new phones, and are willing to change providers/join a family plan together to do it. I'm using a Galaxy S20 with Mint and she's using a Galaxy Note 10 on T-Mobile.

It's been forever since I've used any service but random prepaid providers and I've bought older, used, unlocked phones through Swappa or friends in the past.

Ideally we'd like discounted phones in exchange for signing up for a 2-year deal or whatever, and it's absolutely impossible to use Google to find any helpful information anymore, so I'd love some goon input on what a good option would be for us.

So, what are you paying monthly right now between the two?

You can get discounted phones, but the monthly has a decent chance of being higher than what you are currently paying on Mint.

Going from Mint to postpaid, you could see a coverage difference (specifically data speeds), so a side question is are you happy with Mint ?

Example: Verizon is $140 + tax and fees (so $152) for 2 people and 2 new phones. If you don’t need priority data and mobile hotspot, it can be $110 before tax and fees (if either of you are military, first responders, teacher, nurse or student you can get an extra discount).

Anyway, can clarify from there. I assume you’re both looking for the S24 ?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Kitfox88 posted:

Did you check us mobile?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Duckman2008 posted:

So, what are you paying monthly right now between the two?

You can get discounted phones, but the monthly has a decent chance of being higher than what you are currently paying on Mint.

Going from Mint to postpaid, you could see a coverage difference (specifically data speeds), so a side question is are you happy with Mint ?

Example: Verizon is $140 + tax and fees (so $152) for 2 people and 2 new phones. If you don’t need priority data and mobile hotspot, it can be $110 before tax and fees (if either of you are military, first responders, teacher, nurse or student you can get an extra discount).

Anyway, can clarify from there. I assume you’re both looking for the S24 ?

I'm paying $40/mo for Mint and she's paying $40/mo for T-Mobile prepaid, both for unlimited data. We're willing to go up a little bit in order to score new phones, but not trying to double our phone bills or anything like that.

We're both happy with our providers, service-wise. We're mostly on wifi at home or work and don't need priority data.

I'd like the S24, personally, but I'm also willing to go back a model to the S23 or potentially switch brands if need be.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

I'm paying $40/mo for Mint and she's paying $40/mo for T-Mobile prepaid, both for unlimited data. We're willing to go up a little bit in order to score new phones, but not trying to double our phone bills or anything like that.

We're both happy with our providers, service-wise. We're mostly on wifi at home or work and don't need priority data.

I'd like the S24, personally, but I'm also willing to go back a model to the S23 or potentially switch brands if need be.

Yeah, even T-Mobile is gonna be a lot more than that for 2 lines.

I personally would recommend buying phones full retail and staying where you are at.

Samsung might have a promo buying full retail for. Them, but not sure.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, even T-Mobile is gonna be a lot more than that for 2 lines.

I personally would recommend buying phones full retail and staying where you are at.

Samsung might have a promo buying full retail for. Them, but not sure.

Thanks. I think we might just snag some unlocked S23s or something similar and forge onward with Mint.

That said, I haven't bought a phone in a couple years. Is Swappa still a legit used phone source or is there something obviously better I sound use?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kro-Bar posted:

Thanks. I think we might just snag some unlocked S23s or something similar and forge onward with Mint.

That said, I haven't bought a phone in a couple years. Is Swappa still a legit used phone source or is there something obviously better I sound use?

Nah, swappa (or SA Mart) is fine. Always a little bit of risk, but way way better than eBay.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Is there a better place than this thread to ask about VoIP?

I'm looking for a single phone number to ring at our house, and, more importantly, something that can receive SMS and send them to me over email. It would be really neato if I didn't need to write out why I'm looking for this: I just need advice on how to set it up.

Can I buy a used Polycom from one of these "liquidation auction reseller" places, service with a VoIP provider, set up the phone with a SIP address, username, and password, and everything will work? Do I need special router gubbins, or will my Google WiFi router work okay?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

Is there a better place than this thread to ask about VoIP?

I'm looking for a single phone number to ring at our house, and, more importantly, something that can receive SMS and send them to me over email. It would be really neato if I didn't need to write out why I'm looking for this: I just need advice on how to set it up.

Can I buy a used Polycom from one of these "liquidation auction reseller" places, service with a VoIP provider, set up the phone with a SIP address, username, and password, and everything will work? Do I need special router gubbins, or will my Google WiFi router work okay?

Google voice?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Google voice?

Can you send incoming SMS to any email address, or just the one associated with the account? I already have Google Fi, so I'd have to set up a new gmail account for Voice, I think.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Voice isn't linked to Fi anymore you could set it up so the Gmail receiving the texts would forward it to a few other emails

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I bought a Moto G 5G (2022) phone that's less than a year old and basically unusable because the charger keeps popping out. Forcefully popping out. I've cleaned the charging port with both delicate and aggressive means but it's still popping out. The usb-c charger has zero issues charging any other device, it's the phone. This is a $200 phone so not really worth paying for a charging port replacement.

What's a cheap alternative android phone? I'm not seeing much in the price range that's comparable to the moto G line. Criteria are:
-5G
-Android
-Unlocked
-128GB+
-Battery life
-Less than 6.5"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

I bought a Moto G 5G (2022) phone that's less than a year old and basically unusable because the charger keeps popping out. Forcefully popping out. I've cleaned the charging port with both delicate and aggressive means but it's still popping out. The usb-c charger has zero issues charging any other device, it's the phone. This is a $200 phone so not really worth paying for a charging port replacement.

What's a cheap alternative android phone? I'm not seeing much in the price range that's comparable to the moto G line. Criteria are:
-5G
-Android
-Unlocked
-128GB+
-Battery life
-Less than 6.5"

In the $200 range there really isn’t one anymore. Ty may need to consider going up $200 and getting a Pixel 7a.

If you go used market, the pixel 7 is $200-250 on swappa. Not as expensive as I would have thought. Sam’s with the S21.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Ok, so I'm finally being forced to replace my Pixel 2, due to the double whammy of dying battery and unreliable charging port. Before that I had a Samsung Galaxy (S3 I think), and I remember liking that more than Pixel, it felt more like a mini computer than a smartphone if you know what I mean. I guess this is more of a "is there anything I should avoid" question than a recommendation request.
Phones basically don't have any of the features I used to insist on, like expandable memory, headphone jack, or removable battery. I don't really care about the camera quality, and I wouldn't want to go any bigger than the Pixel2. Basically if it runs fast, lets me do what I want, and has a minimum of invasive bloat I'll be happy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brettbot posted:

Ok, so I'm finally being forced to replace my Pixel 2, due to the double whammy of dying battery and unreliable charging port. Before that I had a Samsung Galaxy (S3 I think), and I remember liking that more than Pixel, it felt more like a mini computer than a smartphone if you know what I mean. I guess this is more of a "is there anything I should avoid" question than a recommendation request.
Phones basically don't have any of the features I used to insist on, like expandable memory, headphone jack, or removable battery. I don't really care about the camera quality, and I wouldn't want to go any bigger than the Pixel2. Basically if it runs fast, lets me do what I want, and has a minimum of invasive bloat I'll be happy.

Well, the main bad news is I don’t think any phone is the size of the pixel 2 anymore.

That said, you probably should look at the S23 or S24, the reg one isn’t that big and should be a good replacement. It’ll have bloat but you can delete a good bit of it.

The Pixel 7 and 8 are also recommended for the record. So go with whichever you like more.

If in the US on a postpaid plan call your carrier to see what phone discounts they will offer you.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, the main bad news is I don’t think any phone is the size of the pixel 2 anymore.

That said, you probably should look at the S23 or S24, the reg one isn’t that big and should be a good replacement. It’ll have bloat but you can delete a good bit of it.

The Pixel 7 and 8 are also recommended for the record. So go with whichever you like more.

If in the US on a postpaid plan call your carrier to see what phone discounts they will offer you.

Ok, sounds about what I expected, thanks.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I've been pretty happy with my Galaxy phones (maybe S4, S7, S8+?) but would like to upgrade. Is there a recommended summary that could help me determine whether I want the S23FE/23/23+/24/24+? I'm looking at Samsung's phone comparison page and it's not as helpful as I'd like.

Is the 24+ worth the extra money for the bump in RAM?

Edit: Some more searching around answered all my questions.

dirby fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 5, 2024

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Apologies if this is a super common question, I try to stay out of the phone game as much as possible so I really just don't know anything.
I've had Pixels/Nexus phones exclusively. Currently my Pixel 5 is dying - dodgy battery, screen on the fritz, camera oddities, and have had issues with cell service now for a bit. It's time.
I love having free unlimited photo backup to Google Photos and the rear dedicated fingerprint scanner is in use 100% of the time I use the phone. And the screen size is nice, maybe a little bigger than I'd like though. Are these features all extinct nowadays? If so, is there any real benefit to sticking with Pixel phones? I kind of never liked the Galaxy series but if they are really just "better" or have less wacky issues than the Pixel phones I may need to jump ship. Would love to not have my phone cripple itself after two years of use.

Does anyone have Pixel or other major-brand recommendations? Are those Z Flip phones any good? Every phone I look at seems to have some bizarre compromise - the latest Pixels look like they use a garbage under-screen fingerprint sensor and have weird battery problems. I just need a normal phone!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Apologies if this is a super common question, I try to stay out of the phone game as much as possible so I really just don't know anything.
I've had Pixels/Nexus phones exclusively. Currently my Pixel 5 is dying - dodgy battery, screen on the fritz, camera oddities, and have had issues with cell service now for a bit. It's time.
I love having free unlimited photo backup to Google Photos and the rear dedicated fingerprint scanner is in use 100% of the time I use the phone. And the screen size is nice, maybe a little bigger than I'd like though. Are these features all extinct nowadays? If so, is there any real benefit to sticking with Pixel phones? I kind of never liked the Galaxy series but if they are really just "better" or have less wacky issues than the Pixel phones I may need to jump ship. Would love to not have my phone cripple itself after two years of use.

Does anyone have Pixel or other major-brand recommendations? Are those Z Flip phones any good? Every phone I look at seems to have some bizarre compromise - the latest Pixels look like they use a garbage under-screen fingerprint sensor and have weird battery problems. I just need a normal phone!

I had a z flip 3 and it's fine. Like, it's a fairly standard mid to high end Samsung that happens to fold in half. They look cool, I liked having something gimmicky, the camera was decent and the screen was nice.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Does anyone here have good things to say about Nothing Phone 2? Strongly considering it since the 3 might be a wait and more expensive than I'd like.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I haven’t heard of many issues with the pixel 8, and the pixel 8 is what I would recommend.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

The under-screen fingerprint sensor on my Pixel 6 has been great, and my partner has had no problems with the one on her Pixel 8 Pro. The under-screen sensor on my 6 outperforms the rear sensor on my Motorola back-up phone and the power-button sensor on my work Galaxy phone by a mile, too.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013
My iPhone 11 is toast after letting my toddler learn how to plug the charger into it. She apparently thought it was a twist lock. I’m currently only able to use wireless charging on it which absolutely sucks.

Not a lot of money to go around right now and I’m not die-hard with the Apple platform.

The Pixel 7a is pretty cheap on Amazon ($399 Canadian). Would I be making a mistake here? I really don’t want to dump almost twice that into a new iPhone and I don’t use my phone much for anything beyond basic poo poo anyway.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Spagghentleman posted:

My iPhone 11 is toast after letting my toddler learn how to plug the charger into it. She apparently thought it was a twist lock. I’m currently only able to use wireless charging on it which absolutely sucks.

Not a lot of money to go around right now and I’m not die-hard with the Apple platform.

The Pixel 7a is pretty cheap on Amazon ($399 Canadian). Would I be making a mistake here? I really don’t want to dump almost twice that into a new iPhone and I don’t use my phone much for anything beyond basic poo poo anyway.

As long as you don't rely on an app that exists on iOS but not on Android then I think you should be fine - the Pixels are good phones, and hard to beat dollar-for-dollar.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
I'm in Canada, on Public Mobile, and I desperately want to get rid of my smart phone. My one desire is a full keyboard so I can at least reply to texts quickly, since I never was especially quick with T9.

That's proving to be a big challenge. I tried going back to a Nokia e71 but I didn't do my research thoroughly enough, turns out Canadian 3g infrastructure was canned in 2022 and with it any hope of using the li'l fella

Is there a qwerty feature phone / dumb phone that will still function in 2024? Praying someone can say yes

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

Samuel Glompers posted:

I'm in Canada, on Public Mobile, and I desperately want to get rid of my smart phone. My one desire is a full keyboard so I can at least reply to texts quickly, since I never was especially quick with T9.

That's proving to be a big challenge. I tried going back to a Nokia e71 but I didn't do my research thoroughly enough, turns out Canadian 3g infrastructure was canned in 2022 and with it any hope of using the li'l fella

Is there a qwerty feature phone / dumb phone that will still function in 2024? Praying someone can say yes

Unihertz Titan is basically the only option as far as I know. I don’t think the Android-flavoured BlackBerrys even work properly in Canada anymore.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Spagghentleman posted:

Unihertz Titan is basically the only option as far as I know. I don’t think the Android-flavoured BlackBerrys even work properly in Canada anymore.

Yeah I took a look at the titan, the thing is I don't want an android anything. Smartphones rot my brain, even more than they do for the average person.

I will learn to master T9 if it is my only option, but drat do I ever not want to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Samuel Glompers posted:

Your best bet is to buy an iPhone, delete every app and turn off the internet.