Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Florence Pugh is the sound you make when your old enemy Florence, who you thought was dead, appears and rams her fist into your solar plexus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Crescent Wrench posted:

I've seen all the Kung Fu Panda movies. This one I think is the best. I used to think the third one was the best. This beats the third one. It's twice as good as the third one, which was twice as good as the second one, which was twice as good as the original. There's a pattern there, and it's a very good pattern, and that's why this is one of the top franchises going forward. And I think before you see the end of Po and the whole Kung Fu Panda gang you're going to see as many as a dozen movies in this series, and that's a very good thing.

I found the first surprisingly enjoyable but I really can't tell if you're joking

edit: haven't seen them but animated sequels are always a step down from their predecessors so forgive me if I find this hard to believe

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I liked the first Kung Fu Panda but admit I like it a little less after seeing Eric Weinstein go maudlin about how it made him realize how important it was for him to pass his big brain thoughts on to future generations. Not the movie's fault oc, just is what it is (I am way in the weeds here but I *think* I saw it in a video about how Dave Rubin sucks, as like a "this is a good interview" counterpoint or something, but whatever)

VVV yeah sorry it's just my brainworms trying to find a new host

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 13, 2024

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

pangstrom posted:

I liked the first Kung Fu Panda but admit I like it a little less after seeing Eric Weinstein go maudlin about how it made him realize how important it was for him to pass his big brain thoughts on to future generations. Not the movie's fault oc, just is what it is (I am way in the weeds here but I *think* I saw it in a video about how Dave Rubin sucks, as like a "this is a good interview" counterpoint or something, but whatever)

This post makes me feel like I'm having a stroke

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They didn't want to pay to get Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu, Seth Rogan or David Cross back as the Furious Five so they only appear in the credits and have no speaking roles. And the movie still cost 100 million go make.

It's certainly not a bad movie, but it feels like the franchise is on a Shrek trajectory where the first two are fondly remembered before they ran out of ideas.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Shrek 4 was ok

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

bitterandtwisted posted:

Shrek 4 was ok

It was fine, but it was definitely also a case of "we've run out of ideas, let's just riff on It's A Wonderful Life"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

They didn't want to pay to get Angelina Jolie, Jackie Chan, Lucy Liu, Seth Rogan or David Cross back as the Furious Five so they only appear in the credits and have no speaking roles.

Good! Get some professionals instead. Really tired of these movies crapping out by hiring random celebs. They cost too much, they don't do a great job, and they always pull you out of the movie. Don't get me wrong, some celebs are also professional voice actors but most of em aren't and they drag it all down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Khanstant posted:

Good! Get some professionals instead. Really tired of these movies crapping out by hiring random celebs. They cost too much, they don't do a great job, and they always pull you out of the movie. Don't get me wrong, some celebs are also professional voice actors but most of em aren't and they drag it all down.

They could only afford to get Ian McShane back for like three minutes in this one. I guess Jack Black, Akwafina and Viola Davis ate up the budget.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Khanstant posted:

If only we could get a sandworm as beautifully costumes as her. Also I hope we get to see someone animorph into a sandworm or trout in 3 whether or not it happens in the books at that point.

The person that turns into a sandworm isn't even born until the end of the second book/third movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Awkwafina does a lot of voice work, she’s as much a voice actor as a regular actor.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kalel posted:

:actually: in the books it's 10,191 A.G. (after guild) because the spacing guild restarted the calendar when they formed a monopoly on space travel. The year 1 A.G. is roughly 13000 A.D. so Dune takes place 20+ millennia in the future

20,000 years in the future where there's only twinks seems more fun than 40,000 years in the future where there's only war.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Twinks lead to good times
Good times lead to endless war
Endless war leads to space marines

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Awkwafina does a lot of voice work, she’s as much a voice actor as a regular actor.

Even in love action roles I hear her as a cartoon. If she weren't like 25 years older she would've been in every 90s kids cartoon and baldurs gate 1.

Edit: okay I guess actually 35 years older or more, subtracting 25 from the year used to get you into another century, now it's barely peepin through the veil.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

20,000 years in the future where there's only twinks seems more fun than 40,000 years in the future where there's only war.

In the 41st millennium there are like five different kinds of space elves, aka space twinks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

And thank god or we wouldn't have this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ovRhX8XIM

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hamilton spoiler warning

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Gripweed posted:

Why does she keep getting work though!?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

pangstrom posted:

VVV yeah sorry it's just my brainworms trying to find a new host

Mia Mulder has a new video

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I actually kind of liked the black widow movie mostly because of Florence Pugh. She knew the assignment and nailed it. David Harbour was also really good in it.

Everything with the floating secret base sucked mega poo poo though.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
oh lord tubi changed their color scheme to purple and highlighter yellow

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

priznat posted:

I actually kind of liked the black widow movie mostly because of Florence Pugh. She knew the assignment and nailed it. David Harbour was also really good in it.

Everything with the floating secret base sucked mega poo poo though.

It was the last MCU movie I watched. I left the theater thinking "that was fine" but then realized that after Endgame I was just not interested in what was going to come next

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

In the 41st millennium there are like five different kinds of space elves, aka space twinks.

Technically they're all the same kind of space elf, in that they're all assholes.

Tau don't count, they're space communists.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Technically they're all the same kind of space elf, in that they're all assholes.

Tau don't count, they're space communists.

Are you saying a communist can’t be a twink?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

shrek five

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Shr8k (2026)

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Shrek Goes Fifth (a reference to Gamergate)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gripweed posted:

no the Orange Bible was the product of a program to create the best possible bible.

The Orange Bible only exists because some jerk insisted there was nothing that rhymed with Door Hinge Bible.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I've seen all the Kung Fu Panda movies. This one I think is the best. I used to think the third one was the best. This beats the third one. It's twice as good as the third one, which was twice as good as the second one, which was twice as good as the original. There's a pattern there, and it's a very good pattern, and that's why this is one of the top franchises going forward. And I think before you see the end of Po and the whole Kung Fu Panda gang you're going to see as many as a dozen movies in this series, and that's a very good thing.

How many stars would you give it? Three and a half?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Paladinus posted:

Shr8k (2026)

Farquaadishly: "Become vengeance, Shrek. Become wrath."

*Allstar plays as Donkey begs Shrek not to beat Farquaad to death*

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

orange catholic bible? but enough about trump's autobiography, folks, #resist

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dijkstracula posted:

orange catholic bible? but enough about trump's autobiography, folks, #resist

He's a Protestant.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

How many stars would you give it? Three and a half?

whats that in bags...

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

That DICK! posted:

whats that in bags...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Paladinus posted:

He's a Protestant.

Yeah he dad was arrested at a KKK rally protesting the appointment of a catholic bishop.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i think i feel the same way i do when i see millionaires buying frivolous poo poo when i see mike paying 50k for a klingon codpiece or whatever. i feel they should do something better with that money. like donating to the downtrodden or better yet making space cop 2

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

yeah a billion dollar superyacht is roughly equivalent to a baby bink puppet good point.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i think i feel the same way i do when i see millionaires buying frivolous poo poo when i see mike paying 50k for a klingon codpiece or whatever. i feel they should do something better with that money. like donating to the downtrodden or better yet making space cop 2

Mike flies his private jet from Milwaukee to Chicago every other day, makes me loving sick

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Mike stole Picard’s chair to install in his private jet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like them buying baby bink and stuff is more like when apple does a stock buyback. They have more money than they need and just have to sort of evaporate some of it off somehow