Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Nah, motor does not engage at all. Support gave me the go ahead to take the bottom off, tried reseating the cable from the grind button to the baseboard but no luck. I can’t get to the cables that are connecting to the button without more disassembly so I guess I’ll just wait for an rma tag.

Not a great start into this drat hobby!

Why RMA and why not exchange at point of sale? Unless you bought it somewhere weird out of box failures typically fall on the retailer, now that you know it’s defective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Why RMA and why not exchange at point of sale? Unless you bought it somewhere weird out of box failures typically fall on the retailer, now that you know it’s defective.

I ordered it online :saddowns:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's a good day for grinder reviews

https://youtu.be/UpoJ-6x7fFQ?si=ODc9txf9ibklUOMN

https://youtu.be/3pCBogUc85E?si=wwYQqS-yYiApAfXq

https://youtu.be/wsVTDllUbN4?si=Uectunmydm0KjPdm

Haven't watched the latter two. About Niche Duo, James says Espresso is basically the same as the Zero, switching is convenient but not convenient enough to do it often, the filter coffee is good but with some QOL issues

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BrianBoitano posted:

Haven't watched the latter two. About Niche Duo, James says Espresso is basically the same as the Zero, switching is convenient but not convenient enough to do it often, the filter coffee is good but with some QOL issues

Interesting him saying the flat burrs on the duo are similar to the niche zero.

Lances video was fine. He actually admits that there’s no reason to upgrade to these or switch from one to the other for fear of fomo.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

nwin posted:

Interesting him saying the flat burrs on the duo are similar to the niche zero.

Lances video was fine. He actually admits that there’s no reason to upgrade to these or switch from one to the other for fear of fomo.

Anecdotally I switched from an Ode with SSP burrs to the 078 and it's a pretty big upgrade

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Got my Decent today, and it's instantly amazing and also totally overwhelming. I pulled three shots with it and didn't really get a bad one, although I do need to tweak some things tomorrow.

Here's a graph it made of my 2nd shot!

https://visualizer.coffee/shots/98805f5d-21e1-43fe-8191-306dda41d2dd

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Gunder posted:

Got my Decent today, and it's instantly amazing and also totally overwhelming. I pulled three shots with it and didn't really get a bad one, although I do need to tweak some things tomorrow.

Here's a graph it made of my 2nd shot!

https://visualizer.coffee/shots/98805f5d-21e1-43fe-8191-306dda41d2dd

This is basically how I do a manual shot with my Bambino + dimmer switch. The flow + pressure and temperature stats are rad.

The Decent is awesome - I wish I had jumped at the chance to get one before it was released for under $1000 almost a decade ago - I was a ZPM backer on Kickstarter who backed out after payment was collected but managed to get added to Decent's e-mail list as they were starting production, but I was hesitant to drop that much on another espresso machine after seeing the failure of the ZPM (admittedly, ZPM had a lofty goal in hindsight).

Being able to brew Filter 3.0 and other methods with one is half the fun - It's definitely more than just an espresso machine.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 9, 2024

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, I really want to get one of those Filter 3.0 baskets, but they're all out of stock atm.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The Decent is a bit overwhelming at first but you'll probably find a profile or three that fit your beans and stick with em.

Do the newer ones come with the no battery mod on the tablet? I had to get rid of mine recently since the battery was starting to swell up.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Spiggy posted:

The Decent is a bit overwhelming at first but you'll probably find a profile or three that fit your beans and stick with em.

Do the newer ones come with the no battery mod on the tablet? I had to get rid of mine recently since the battery was starting to swell up.

I think they just implemented the same fix that Samsung did and solved it with smarter charging.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xve2vums4Ac

I hope this sets up a Hoffmann crossover episode someday

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

trilobite terror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xve2vums4Ac

I hope this sets up a Hoffmann crossover episode someday

How big of a puck would this have to be to be 9 bar

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Assuming i didn't do the math wrong, it would have to be a roughly 3.4 meter puck

Edit: i forgot the 9 part of the 9 bar or something. Apparently a mere 2 meter puck. either way lol

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 10, 2024

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oops I did it again (obsessed over my favorite hobby then posted about it to make it everyone else's problem)

https://youtu.be/X6vWsczbqAc

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's just way too much work. Maybe when I retire.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Tried a friend's aeropress for the first time. I'm a fan. The fact that the travel one can make a solid cup of coffee and still be nested in it's own cup is incredibly cool. It's gonna be hard to convince myself I already have enough coffee toys. I would need to get a paper filter cutter, though. I don't like being beholden to semi proprietary filter designs. Otherwise, 10/10.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Oops I did it again (obsessed over my favorite hobby then posted about it to make it everyone else's problem)

https://youtu.be/X6vWsczbqAc

Part of me still wants a manual lever robot or flair to play with on weekends, but boy am I never interested in hand grinding unless I’m doing it on the go. Preheating also seems like a pain, but putting the chamber on top of the kettle is a great solution while you prep other things.

In terms of workflow, the nanofoamer pro could go either way vs a steam wand - I personally like the results of the nanofoamer pro more, and it allows me to clean up and prep other things while it’s going, but cleaning it could be considered more work than a wand for others.

It’s gotten to a point where I can get our morning drink (cortados, lattes, tea lattes, and pourover) ready within 15 minutes, which is pretty manageable in our household while the morning begins. Definitely getting a Stagg Pro when my Meticulous ships so I can automate a boiling time every day though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SlinkyMink posted:

Tried a friend's aeropress for the first time. I'm a fan. The fact that the travel one can make a solid cup of coffee and still be nested in it's own cup is incredibly cool. It's gonna be hard to convince myself I already have enough coffee toys. I would need to get a paper filter cutter, though. I don't like being beholden to semi proprietary filter designs. Otherwise, 10/10.

I just replaced my filter with the able disk fine mesh metal filter on the recommendation of someone here and it's indistinguishable in quality from paper. And it's even more compact now than carrying paper.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I just replaced my filter with the able disk fine mesh metal filter on the recommendation of someone here and it's indistinguishable in quality from paper. And it's even more compact now than carrying paper.

Appreciate the recommendation! How is it for cleaning? Can you make multiple cups in a row without it clogging? That's my only fear with mesh filters is the cleaning, but having an all in one setup is very appealing.

Also, what grind coarseness do you use for it? It seemed to brew like a lower pressure espresso maker, interestingly enough. I wasn't expecting it to be as high pressure.

SlinkyMink fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 11, 2024

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I abuse the poo poo out of the AeroPress, with the able disk.

I leave the AeroPress with spent grounds like an idiot seemingly every week or so overnight.

The filter doesn't give a poo poo, if the little holes clog, it's few of them, and water takes care of it. I have a little brush for scrubbing the inside of reusable straws that is fine enough to poke out any clogs.

I'm also using hard as gently caress water, no shits given.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sold my Profitec Go. I was sick of the inconsistency and it was just a pain to dial in. I started thinking maybe it was my niche Zero or a million other factors and just didn’t have the patience to gently caress with it anymore.

Pulled my Robot out of the basement and almost every shot has been better than the profitec. My wife prefers her americanos using the robot as well.

I tried my nanofoamer this weekend using microwaved milk and got latte art almost on par with the steam from the Profitec. The nanofoamer process definitely takes longer than the Profitec did, but for a drink or two on the weekend, it’s fine.

This has been a loving rabbit hole. I looked and I have about 10 pages worth of posts in this thread, starting back in 2012 when my big upgrade was buying a reusable K-cup and hoping to buy an aeropress one day. Since then I’ve done the following:

K-cup (wife still uses these when I’m not around)
Reusable k-cup
Aeropress (basement. I’ll use it for an iced coffee for my wife occasionally)
Clever coffee dripper (still use this at work with a timemore hand grinder)
Moka pot (basement)
Crossland CC1 espresso machine with a baratza Vario (sold in like 3 months because I had no time or patience)
Chemex (sold. I was afraid of breaking the thing and I didn’t care for the coffee it made)
Baratza virtuoso (still have it to grind coffee for my wife’s cold brew)
French press (still have. Rarely use)
Technivorm moccamaster (basement. Tried to sell but no buyers and I don’t have the box to ship it. It’s fine but americanos via the robot just work better for us).
Cafelat robot and niche zero and nanofoamer (still have for over 2 years. I love them both. I sold the nanofoamer for the lithium rechargeable version)
Profitec go (lasted two months. Tired of inconsistency).

So…seems like I shouldn’t bother with semi automatics ever haha. I don’t like backflushing and cleaning it a ton. The robot is nice because I can save most shots and the maintenance is minimal. The only con is the lack of steam.

There’s a few kickstarters out there like the morning dream and the meticulous milk steamer but I’m hesitant to kickstart anything. I can just wait for the reviews.

Only other thing I could see getting would be something like the Odyssey Argos or a Cremina lever machine at some point. Not sure if it would be any appreciable difference to my Robot though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Get the Nanofoamer Pro and say goodbye to microwaving and wand faff

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

Get the Nanofoamer Pro and say goodbye to microwaving and wand faff

Instead, say hello to impeller spin out

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I guess I've been lucky so far since I haven't had any of the most notable issues that have popped up.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I haven't had spin outs.

Pros:
- no fiddling with microwave settings
- no skill needed
- hands-off so I can multitask
- the name :v:

Cons:
- gotta fit the lid just right
- cleanup takes a bit longer and you're stressed about frying the electronics
- if you really care to dial in exactly, I find stopping it 10 seconds after the beep is best for me. This phase is supposed to just be about temperature but I think it changes the texture too. So it's not entirely hand-off.
- unproven longevity for nonstick coating

So I could easily see handheld nanofoamer being best for lots of folks. If you don't care about exact texture or latte art then a $5 wand from IKEA or a $10 French press works too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I abuse the poo poo out of the AeroPress, with the able disk.

I leave the AeroPress with spent grounds like an idiot seemingly every week or so overnight.

The filter doesn't give a poo poo, if the little holes clog, it's few of them, and water takes care of it. I have a little brush for scrubbing the inside of reusable straws that is fine enough to poke out any clogs.

I'm also using hard as gently caress water, no shits given.

Anybody have experience with the Able vs the Fellow Prismo? My BIL uses aeropress exclusively and it'd be nice to give him another accessory to experiment with, and $30 is cheap enough that I think I can break the "thou shalt not assume someone else's equipment preferences" rule as a birthday gift.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

if the new niche was like hoffmann wished with a single pair of decent dual-purpose burrs, and with smaller 64mm instead of the 83mm ones that makes it look fugly as poo poo, I'd actually consider spending money on an electric grinder again

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SlinkyMink posted:

Appreciate the recommendation! How is it for cleaning? Can you make multiple cups in a row without it clogging? That's my only fear with mesh filters is the cleaning, but having an all in one setup is very appealing.

Also, what grind coarseness do you use for it? It seemed to brew like a lower pressure espresso maker, interestingly enough. I wasn't expecting it to be as high pressure.

I only ever rinse mine between cups. When I clean it to put on the drying rack overnight, I just rinse it while rubbing it between my fingers. It's never clogged over the 50-60 cups I've made since I got it.

I usually grind on the finer side of medium. It certainly makes more resistance, but nothing terrible. I wouldn't go much finer for fear of breaking a mug, knocking it over from too much force, or having it squirt up around the piston, but I have yet to not be able to press it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

BrianBoitano posted:

Anybody have experience with the Able vs the Fellow Prismo? My BIL uses aeropress exclusively and it'd be nice to give him another accessory to experiment with, and $30 is cheap enough that I think I can break the "thou shalt not assume someone else's equipment preferences" rule as a birthday gift.

I've got hundreds of brews with the able, happy with it.
I got the prismo late last year and probably have half a dozen brews, none that I would find notable... I'll try it throughout this week and see if I can find a good technique, then report back.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Thanks! I watched some comparison and review videos, and the Prismo seems good at "metal filter you can brew directly on cup without early drips", basically negating the need for the inverted method. But it doesn't provide any meaningful back pressure. So it makes sense that you didn't see a huge reason to switch your daily driver back when you first got it. Still, I'm sure it has a slightly different character, and it might fit someone's preference.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I got one of these things: https://www.espazzola.ch/en/ for cleaning the group on my new Decent. I really do quite like it, it seems to do a better job than the old Urnex brush I was using before. You lock it in like a portafilter and then waggle it back and forth while the pump's running. It cleans both the shower screen and the gasket simultaneously.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 22 days!)

While recovering from a narcosis i managed to pre order sculptor 64s. Im pairing it with my lelit vicky and replacing my sage dosecontrol finally. I hope to also enter the world of brewing.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
There was someone selling a 78S locally at the Kickstarter price I almost jumped on, but by dumb luck I found someone selling a Lagom P64 nearby. It feels nice that my setup is finally complete after ten years in the hobby, even though I'll be missing out on my morning exercise with the Kinu every day.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Congrats! The P64 is a great grinder. What burrs did it come with?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The newer SSP unimodal. I'm going to give them an honest try since I'm theoretically a clarity before texture person, even though it sounds like they can be finicky for espresso.

I ended up making two shots this morning, one at the Decent's "best overall pressure" profile and one turbo shot. The first was pretty good for a first try, but I didn't eyeball the grind right on the turbo shot which took too long to pull yet still tasted under extracted.

The reviews always bring up how quiet this thing is and for good reason. I ran some junk beans through last night at half the max motor speed and my partner thought that was the ambient volume. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, and even if I get buyers remorse I got it cheap enough that I could sell it for what I paid.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Those are the same burrs I have in my P64. If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend the Extractamundo Dos! profile. It's basically designed for fast extracting burrs like ours and produces really beautiful shots. Just make sure you read the description for instructions on how to dial it.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Yeah I'd been using that profile for lighter roasts and it worked pretty well, though a pain to dial in at times with the Kinu. Do you have a general grind setting range you've been using on the Lagom?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I’m generally down around 1.2 with lighter roasts. Although that’s partly because I’m using cut chemex filters at the bottom of the basket. Those things speed up flow, so I end up grinding finer as a result.

Edit: this is specifically with the fast flowing ExDos profile. With more traditional profiles I’d probably be grinding much finer. I think I was around 0.5 with blooming espresso.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This was this morning's shot. It has the grinder settings and ratio etc.

https://visualizer.coffee/shots/6f9d2002-a2b4-423a-96c3-458bc342496b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Odd, I did right at 1.2 this morning and was getting a 2ml/sec flow with an 18g dose. Maybe it's a skill issue and I need to work on pick prep.