Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't know what kind of escalation you people want from Russia?

Anything in Ukraine is a target, the next obvious step would be to start grounding surveillance craft flying over the Black Sea if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be perfectly honest, one thing people haven't talked out is actually...the general Russian public is far more bloodthirsty than people think. I am not talking about English speakers or people who live in the West, but average people...are not very enlightened. They really don't give a gently caress.

Also to be honest, even if it is a result of the 1990s, Russians are racist and homophobic at pretty much a point of pride. They don't care about slamming the enemy with everything either, as long as they win. It really isn't the public holding the government back, it is pretty much the other way around. I don't say this as ideal conjecture either.

It is really when NATO is playing with fire, if the Russian public was concerned they would really be going to Berlin if not Paris and Stockholm. Perhaps sending in the conscripts would have been divisive among the Moscow middle class but overall, the Russian public itself doesn't have a problem with the concept of "SLAVA."

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ardennes posted:

The whole hulldown thing was stupid even back in the 80s, one of the key features of a tank is mobility and you sacrifice that in a potential battlefield where there would have been a ton of CAS/artillery/ATGMs flying around. It is even worse now with drones.

I would say the real mistake the Soviets/Russians made with the T-72/90 is reserve speed, which was a result of trying to maximize their forward gears for rapid advances. It is fixable (the Czech put in a different transmission), but it is a doctrinal remnant. The T-80 has a acceptable(ish) reserve speed and perhaps why the Russians are talking about building new models.

what's reserve speed?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I don't know what kind of escalation you people want from Russia?

Anything in Ukraine is a target, the next obvious step would be to start grounding surveillance craft flying over the Black Sea if anything.

yup

genericnick posted:

That was always how those proxy wars worked, though. No point in complaining about it now. You just drop some missiles on the "advisors" and move on imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ardennes posted:

To be perfectly honest, one thing people haven't talked out is actually...the general Russian public is far more bloodthirsty than people think. I am not talking about English speakers or people who live in the West, but average people...are not very enlightened. They really don't give a gently caress.

Also to be honest, even if it is a result of the 1990s, Russians are racist and homophobic at pretty much a point of pride. They don't care about slamming the enemy with everything either, as long as they win. It really isn't the public holding the government back, it is pretty much the other way around. I don't say this as ideal conjecture either.

It is really when NATO is playing with fire, if the Russian public was concerned they would really be going to Berlin if not Paris and Stockholm. Perhaps sending in the conscripts would have been divisive among the Moscow middle class but overall, the Russian public itself doesn't have a problem with the concept of "SLAVA."

this post is straight out of Hardcore History

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ardennes posted:

Also to be honest, even if it is a result of the 1990s, Russians are racist and homophobic at pretty much a point of pride.

Really sick of hearing that as a justification by our enlightened liberal foreign policy elite.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

From "August 2008 and Everything After: A Ten-Year Retrospective on the Russia-Georgia War", Robert E. Hamilton

From "Russia's War in Georgia: Causes and Implications for Georgia and the World, by Cornell, Popjanevski, and Nilsson

Title and author included in the screenshot

I came across these too (from a post of yours or FF, can't recall atm) but found it odd that no mention was made of the week preceding the 7th in most of them, and saw little of NATO's shaky assurances, but thanks for highlighting some stuff I missed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

Some times there are consequences, but I actually don't think Westerns actually understand what the Russian public thinks or wants. They are far more aggressive, right-wing, and nationalistic that Westerns think.

It doesn't mean Russian society is a bunch of huts among the tundra, but it is the government that is holding them back relatively speaking. It is why relying on the Russian public to holding the government back is not a really a thing.

The only time Putin was more popular now was back in the spring of 2014, it isn't an accident.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Really sick of hearing that as a justification by our enlightened liberal foreign policy elite.

Well isn't that that where the hypocrisy lies? You destroy a civilization, fill it as best you can with right-wing maniacs, and then demonize for what resulted from it.

Unfortunately, I thought that doesn't mean there is a result. I have heard first hand, including very recently, it is pretty regularly for trans/cross-dressing people to be beaten to a pulp even in Moscow, including its outskirts.

If someone is a "педераст" you pretty much can beat them on the spot. Btw, "педераст" is very very wide category.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Mar 13, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

euphronius posted:

You don't have to think Russians are some unique atavistic evil to say some of them are bloodthirsty nationalists. A lot of people are! I'd be more surprised if they weren't, given how much less war hosed up American politics

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's called rally around the flag and it's good and noble and everyone should do it.

No not like that!

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Every russian i've ever met has been exactly like every canadian and american i've met, so i can't dispute that post

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Even the sympathetic accounts, this is a review of A Little War that Shook the World: Georgia, Russia, and the Future of the West and The Guns of August 2008: Russia's War in Georgia are very quick to deny any green light, while constructing a series of events that doesn't make much sense in its absence, especially considering the NATO expansion announced 4 months earlier.

I can see that on August 7, "Georgian President Saakashvili consults Western diplomats and U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Matthew Bryza", but can find no information on the content of that call.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ardennes posted:

Well isn't that that where the hypocrisy lies? You destroy a civilization, fill it as best you can with right-wing maniacs, and then demonize for what resulted from it.

Unfortunately, I thought that doesn't mean there is a result. I have heard first hand, including very recently, it is pretty regularly for trans/cross-dressing people to be beaten to a pulp even in Moscow, including its outskirts.

Sure, but in the context of geopolitics, NATO expansion, even regime change and balkanization in Russia wouldn't improve that.

cuius regio eius religio

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

OhFunny posted:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26509818/ukrainian-soldiers-brit-challenger-2-tanks-russia/

The Sun is reporting half of the 14 Challenger 2s given to Ukraine are out of the fight.

1 has been reserved for training new crews.

1 was destroyed by a Lancet drone.

5 have broken down and there's no spare parts to fix them. In addition some tank crews have been sent to the front to dig trenches for the infantry.

i laughed at this bit

quote:

He added that he feared commanders had failed to grasp that Nato tanks were built for different roles from Soviet ones.

He said: “Soviet tanks are battle machines built for multiple tasks.

“British and Nato tanks are mostly about sniping — tank versus tank.”

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

VoicesCanBe posted:

quote:

with disparate Western equipment that was less efficient than the old Soviet material ("obsolete, easy to maintain, and capable of being used in degraded mode", the report mentions)

if they are more efficient maybe they arent "obsolete"

DeimosRising posted:

what's reserve speed?

they meant to type reverse speed

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Megamissen posted:

if they are more efficient maybe they arent "obsolete"

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

VoicesCanBe posted:

with disparate Western equipment that was less efficient than the old Soviet material ("obsolete, easy to maintain, and capable of being used in degraded mode", the report mentions)

russian equipment isn’t a maintenance hog (derogatory)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

ro5s posted:

russian equipment isn’t a maintenance hog (derogatory)

This is what happens when you lionize the people who made BMWs and not Trabants.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Bavaria has much to answer for.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Lostconfused posted:

Bavaria has much to answer for.

Sorry for all the cool clothes, bopping jams, delicious cabbages, and adequate beer

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Alpha 1 posted:

It's 14th Galiciover in Canada :canada:
https://twitter.com/DevanaUkraine/status/1766032157376385077

So that you understand, this was a monument to those who fought simultaneously against the Soviet and Nazi occupations for independent Ukraine. They are symbols of Ukraine, streets in Ukraine are named after them. This is simply a huge blow and an insult to the Ukrainian people. Such actions made Canada an enemy for Ukraine and I do not know how Canada will be able to wash away this shame! Another backstab from a former ally. Shame on you, Canada!

I hate this poo poo. I hate being told what's important to Ukrainians, and it's invariably all of this nazi garbage. Stop trying to tell me what the dumb people still living in the fake country my ancestors were smart enough to leave think about this poo poo. These white nationalists/white supremacists shouldn't have a voice in the discourse regarding the country, period. I oppose them bitterly and openly here at home too. These monuments and the evil people they commemorate must be erased from the memory of man; only the gravity of their crimes must be contemplated.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Not enough boxing analogies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nato thought the Russians couldn’t take a punch, but they are still standing through 7 rounds and nato is gassed.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1767824155108311284

The entire collective west doesn't understand the concept of leverage in the context of negotiations.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Sure, but in the context of geopolitics, NATO expansion, even regime change and balkanization in Russia wouldn't improve that.

cuius regio eius religio

Have you tried? You can't say it doesn't work if you haven't even tried it.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

VoicesCanBe posted:

The entire collective west doesn't understand the concept of leverage in the context of negotiations.

The deal they would have got before was better than the deal they'll get now

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Again, as much as I personally like Boris Johnson I would never loving listen to the man

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Praise God

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

some retrospectives on the Russo-Georgian War will claim that Georgia was "provoked" into invading South Ossetia, or that they "had no choice", or that they had to move preemptively, or may even go so far as to say that Russia was already marching towards/into South Ossetia and the Georgians were simply trying to beat them to the punch

but, like, the literal physical truth is that the Georgians crossed into South Ossetia first

they owned south ossetia tho you cant invade your own country

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Ardennes posted:

If Russians were as bloodthirsty as these people think, we wouldn't even be having the current war because West Ukraine, Poland, and the Baltics wouldn't even loving exist.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

euphronius posted:

Nato thought the Russians couldn’t take a punch, but they are still standing through 7 rounds and nato is gassed.

NATO thought they could take what they learned in MMA (war on terror) and apply it to boxing (old fashioned land war) but it turns out that punching (artillery) and cardio (ammo production) is still king

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Organ Fiend posted:

If Russians were as bloodthirsty as these people think, we wouldn't even be having the current war because West Ukraine, Poland, and the Baltics wouldn't even loving exist.

That is the point, the Russian government is restraining the populace rather than them being puppets of Putin’e ambitions.

It anything the frustration is how limited and slow the war has been going. If there was a big thrust into the Baltic states, there wouldn’t be riots, there would be celebration.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

crepeface posted:

NATO thought they could take what they learned in MMA (war on terror) and apply it to boxing (old fashioned land war) but it turns out that punching (artillery) and cardio (ammo production) is still king

as a boxer i wouldnt consider mma an easy opponent

Teh war on terror is more akin to aikido or something

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

OctaMurk posted:

as a boxer i wouldnt consider mma an easy opponent

Teh war on terror is more akin to aikido or something

I'm thinking of the recent ngannou vs AJ fight!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1767824155108311284

Wow hopefully the retarded cokehead billionaire in charge of Ukraine surrenders because there are no other options for ending this war aside from slowly grinding the population into dust

Extremely braindamaged D&D freak: yes this is why Ukraine should start conscripting women #girlboss

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Раньше всех. Ну почти. posted:

Russia will not take part in the conference on Ukraine in Switzerland, even if it is invited — Russian Foreign Ministry
(from t.me/bbbreaking/177287, via tgsa)

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

That is the point, the Russian government is restraining the populace rather than them being puppets of Putin’e ambitions.

It anything the frustration is how limited and slow the war has been going. If there was a big thrust into the Baltic states, there wouldn’t be riots, there would be celebration.

I'd be curious of the man-on-the-street opinion of hot dog man, he definitely felt like he at least had the support of the general populace in wanting to war harder

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The levada or meduza, or whatever poll from back then had him at a 30% approval rating, which seems pretty solid for someone that nobody really heard of a year before.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

But then I do get in a bit of a chicken and egg thing because would the Russian public have supported the government in knocking out the power grid, railways, bridges and tunnels and ports on day one? Would they have supported the Black Sea Fleet not just cruising around but sinking Ukrainian merchant ships and firing cruse missiles around the clock - if not opting for a close blockade, shelling and feinting landings on the coast? Would they have been on board with Mariupol, Bakhmut, Avdeyevka, and at minimum the Kiev suburbs that held them up, getting flattened immediately instead of the slow, drawn out affair?

If the uptick in crossborder fire that the monitors recorded is true they might've gained a casus belli had they waited, though it would've meant watching Ukraine do a little bit of political action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Ardennes posted:

It is a liberal democracy. Public opinion is irrelevant. It is just noise to be turned into excuses.