Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the falcon 4.0 manual which came in a three ring binder ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the falcon 4.0 manual which came in a three ring binder ftw

legendary

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I can actually thank old game manuals and strategy guides for my reading comprehension and map reading/orientation skills.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Heath posted:

I've really come around on the 3DS. I got one in like 2012 and I don't think I bought any actual 3DS games until SMT4 (actually the first thing I played on it was Glory of Heracles, lol.) I loved the original DS a lot so I mostly just kept playing those games. But now with the full 3DS library out I've been hitting some of the stuff I missed and I'm like oh a lot of these are actually pretty great games. All the Kirby games are fantastic, Mario 3D Land is surprisingly robust, Starfox 3D whips rear end, and the DQ7 remake is probably my favorite DQ game

3ds owns because it's super easy to mod and the 2nd generation of systems (N3DS, N2DS, N3DS) are fast enough to emulate Playstation games

You can also wrap any old rom in the Virtual Console interface and have a fancy icon for specific old games instead of launching an emulator and doing it through there

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

An Actual Princess posted:

sid meier's alpha centauri had the best manual of all time. read that thing multiple times like it was just a book. no coincidence that it's still the best 4x ever made also

absolutely

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i loved reading the stats (gravity, o2 levels, orbital period) for all the planets in the alpha centauri system despite not understanding any of it. so cool. alpha centauri ftw.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
In an attempt to relive that era of gaming. I came across this site that creates random configurations of pixels. Some of them look like old game monsters. I take the ones that capture my attention and reinterpret them as if they were entries in some guide. I even give them names that are reminiscent of things from old zelda titles.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the technology to play every MGS game exclusively existed, for the PlayStation 3

Sometimes I forget that MGSV released on the PS360. Kojima is a madman

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the technology to play every MGS game exclusively existed, for the PlayStation 3

I'm pretty sure one couldn't play Portable Ops on the PS3, because I wouldn't've bought a PSTV if I could've.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm pretty sure one couldn't play Portable Ops on the PS3, because I wouldn't've bought a PSTV if I could've.

Non-canon. Fly away, troll.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sometimes I forget that MGSV released on the PS360. Kojima is a madman

wolfenstein the new order was ported to the 360 and comes on 4 discs lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Non-canon. Fly away, troll.

Is it? It ties in pretty tightly with the rest of the games. :shrug:

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

3ds owns because it's super easy to mod and the 2nd generation of systems (N3DS, N2DS, N3DS) are fast enough to emulate Playstation games

You can also wrap any old rom in the Virtual Console interface and have a fancy icon for specific old games instead of launching an emulator and doing it through there

i wish the 3ds wasn't so expensive on the used market because i didn't grab it when they were new.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The SimAnt (:corsair:) manual was great, it had a big section on real ant facts :science:

An Actual Princess posted:

sid meier's alpha centauri had the best manual of all time. read that thing multiple times like it was just a book. no coincidence that it's still the best 4x ever made also

In case you might have missed it, you can get SMAC/X for two bucks on Steam now, and a goon reported that it also works on the Deck

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It was made non canon by Peacewalker.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Modded 3DS is an incredible gaming machine

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
disappointed portable ops isnt canon because snake befriends pinhead

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It was made non canon by Peacewalker.

I played them back-to-back (because I was playing through all the main-line Metal Gear games) and I didn't notice anything but then there's so much poo poo in all the games it would take a nerd to pay that much attention. Anyway it was a fun game I'll never go back to.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

In an attempt to relive that era of gaming. I came across this site that creates random configurations of pixels. Some of them look like old game monsters. I take the ones that capture my attention and reinterpret them as if they were entries in some guide. I even give them names that are reminiscent of things from old zelda titles.

looks kinda like larry david, but cuter.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
portable ops is briefly mentioned in peacewalker but in a dismissive way that tells you none of it matters and dont think about it anymore

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's ambiguously canon. The intro to Peace Walker mentions PO but at the same time some parts of it contradict elements in later games (not that it matters much since the franchise plays it fast and loose with such things). iirc Kojima wasn't involved with the writing in that one.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Plant MONSTER. posted:

this rules lol, do you have an album of the ones youve done so far hosted anywhere

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MGS Poops

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
metal gear ac!d was on tommy tallerico's review show and he gave it a bad review for the opening cutscenes being too long

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
said like halloween kills

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Aside from being a stupid douchebag, did tallarico do something else to get all the scorn and derision?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GUI posted:

It's ambiguously canon. The intro to Peace Walker mentions PO but at the same time some parts of it contradict elements in later games (not that it matters much since the franchise plays it fast and loose with such things). iirc Kojima wasn't involved with the writing in that one.

Is that why it's not as perverted as the other games. (The dating thing in PISS WANKER* was something else.)

*) Hehe.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

modded 3ds also lets you patch Majora's Mask 3d to revert some of the weird bullshit changes they made for the 3DS and adds a bunch of QoL fixes and stuff and alone is worth modding it

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
mgs5 is probably the best playing action game of all time and i was still disappointed it didnt have as much dumb poo poo as peace walker. let me shoot a rathalos in afghanistan like milla jovovich

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
ironically i dont think johnny sasaki gets a single mention in portal ops

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a good videogame manual is the one for dominions 3, which was wire-bound, about 300 pages, and chock full of absolutely appallingly dogshit advice on how to play the various nations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

3D Megadoodoo posted:

PISS WANKER*

:kstare:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Oh hey I'm an IK again :getin:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Violen posted:

said like halloween kills

halloween kills ruled

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Spanish Manlove posted:

Aside from being a stupid douchebag, did tallarico do something else to get all the scorn and derision?

hes a pathological liar in really funny ways less lazy people can summarize for you

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
love michael myeers pwning a bunch of fire fighters like an anime villain

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

he gave melee a 2/10

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
does anyone wanna express some toriyama hot takes i could go for some of those right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
babe it's chili night, its not happening