Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Wait a minute. If a special election is to fill CO-4 for the remainder of the session, how could she be the rep for CO-3 AND CO-4 without resigning her current seat? Even if she could legally run, she could not occupy the seat without vacating her current seat, right?

She doesn't have to resign to run but would resign if she won and was sworn in for the new seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zwabu posted:

Wait a minute. If a special election is to fill CO-4 for the remainder of the session, how could she be the rep for CO-3 AND CO-4 without resigning her current seat? Even if she could legally run, she could not occupy the seat without vacating her current seat, right?

Correct, if she won she'd vacate her old seat to fill the new one, thus potentially setting off another special election.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1767700960468488211

gently caress me. I know we’re all wringing our hands about Bidens polls but this cycle also has the potential to wipe out the House GOP. If only the Senate map weren’t so loving bad

ya mouth god's ears

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hahaha, calling Bökh "sumo wrestling" is some wonderfully classic American racism.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Everyone wanted "(Makes car sound)" and slept on "I'm not a bad archer".

Not only does Biden have a considered opinion on his skill as an archer, but it's neither conceited nor falsely modest.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Young Freud posted:

Anyone looking for a job, John Fetterman is now looking for a communications director lol
https://x.com/senate_jobs/status/1767648517978202594?s=20
Can't imagine why would he need one, he seems to have an ear to the voice of the people lol

His former one left to work for the mayor of Chicago, which is probably a downgrade of job considering how unpopular Johnson is.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2024/03/07/mayor-brandon-johnson-staff-communications-calvello-hired-fetterman-bernie-sanders

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

BonoMan posted:

Hell World timeline continues lol

Seems like if someone in RFK's circle tells press that they both "welcomed the overtures" it means they said "it's so kind of you to ask, but..."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

zoux posted:

gently caress me. I know we’re all wringing our hands about Bidens polls but this cycle also has the potential to wipe out the House GOP. If only the Senate map weren’t so loving bad

:sickos:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

So this means that Buck knows at least 3 other members are planning on bowing out soon/not running for reelection and just haven't announced it yet, right?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Randalor posted:

So this means that Buck knows at least 3 other members are planning on bowing out soon/not running for reelection and just haven't announced it yet, right?

I mean potentially, but I guess I read it as more of a comment about losing majority in the House.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I mean potentially, but I guess I read it as more of a comment about losing majority in the House.

Yeah, possibly. With this many Republicans jumping ship though, I interpreted it as he knew others were on the fence for leaving as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

zoux posted:

agreed but i dont think its Just election stuff for the chuds jumping ship. i think alot of them just hate the party now. its no longer fun and trumps a muttering nutjob who has basicaly hosed them medium term. the dems obviously have plenty of internal issues, but the GOP is on fire with a majority of the party tossing gas on it laughing or tossing it at gun point. trumps not running for people he needs to win, he is just saying more and more insane poo poo for the base.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BonoMan posted:

How many more would they have to lose to lose majority? If three exactly then yeah.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, I think more and more of them are realizing the inevitable reality that Trump is only beneficial to them inasmuch as they can claim to be the Trumpiest person in their district; but there's always someone willing to claim they're even Trumpier, which is easy to do in a campaign versus actual accomplishments in-office (since Trumpiness has very little to do with actually getting anything done, and everything to do with complaining about other people not doing enough). The old-school conservative true believers love the court appointments, but can't really hang with the MAGA crowd for too long (without being hanged by them) because ultimately it's not a truly ideological movement, it's purely motivated by power. And the new guys can never be crazy enough. They idolize exactly the same kind of backstabbing that will get them stabbed.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
His comment has “buying three goats, painting 1, 2, and 4 on them and letting them go in a building” energy

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I would love the comedy timeline where Republican retirements give the dems control of the house for the last few months until the election. Just jam a million bills through.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed but i dont think its Just election stuff for the chuds jumping ship. i think alot of them just hate the party now. its no longer fun and trumps a muttering nutjob who has basicaly hosed them medium term. the dems obviously have plenty of internal issues, but the GOP is on fire with a majority of the party tossing gas on it laughing or tossing it at gun point. trumps not running for people he needs to win, he is just saying more and more insane poo poo for the base.

The GOP has completely squandered their House majority. They had considerable leverage to extract some concessions from the Dems running the Senate and Presidency, but instead they consistently had their carefully-negotiated deals blown up by petty infighting from a substantial group who preferred political posturing against their own party over getting actual policy achievements. As a result, it sucks to be in the House right now and they're not accomplishing anything by being there.

Of course, Buck was one of the group who ousted McCarthy and is one of the hardest-right votes even in the current House, so he's hardly got any right to complain about it. It seems like he's been trying to walk both sides of the fence, appealing to the extreme MAGAs on policy votes while avoiding tying himself too hard to Trump specifically. And in fact, quite a few people were making noises about potential primary challenges against him because of that, before he announced his retirement.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

The GOP has completely squandered their House majority. They had considerable leverage to extract some concessions from the Dems running the Senate and Presidency, but instead they consistently had their carefully-negotiated deals blown up by petty infighting from a substantial group who preferred political posturing against their own party over getting actual policy achievements. As a result, it sucks to be in the House right now and they're not accomplishing anything by being there.

Of course, Buck was one of the group who ousted McCarthy and is one of the hardest-right votes even in the current House, so he's hardly got any right to complain about it. It seems like he's been trying to walk both sides of the fence, appealing to the extreme MAGAs on policy votes while avoiding tying himself too hard to Trump specifically. And in fact, quite a few people were making noises about potential primary challenges against him because of that, before he announced his retirement.

the GOP has basicaly become a circular firing squad except instead imploding on itself and probably cost the party the house for a term or two, it might possibly fracture the party way more. its taking the greater party with it because the lee atwaters of old made a bunch of choices to prevent another watergate, which lead to trump.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

The Lord of Hats posted:

I would love the comedy timeline where Republican retirements give the dems control of the house for the last few months until the election. Just jam a million bills through.

Are there no lovely dems in your timeline?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1767923252976865410

Remember that this came out of committee 50-0. But then Trump got a huge donation from a guy with a huge stake in ByteDance and suddenly reversed his position on banning TikTok. But not even fealty to the big man can overcome the annoyance of 1,000 14 yo's spamming your office with calls.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Kill it in the Senate and move on to something that matters, which would be literally anything on Earth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thune thinks it'll pass in the Senate
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1767573720690741296

Biden said he'd sign it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

zoux posted:

Thune thinks it'll pass in the Senate
https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1767573720690741296

Biden said he'd sign it.

Thune "thinks," that's a novelty. Anyway it's an irrelevant bill on an irrelevant topic that seems to only unite cranks. I'm not particularly enthused about even the smallest chance of losing the only platform where right wing losers or American billionaire sociopaths don't completely control the narrative.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can’t possibly see everybody just being willing to light money on fire. I think TikTok would spin off the US part of its business prior to the deadline.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TikTok left Russia, they’ll leave the United States as well, they absolutely will not sell to Bobby Kotick.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shammypants posted:

Thune "thinks," that's a novelty. Anyway it's an irrelevant bill on an irrelevant topic that seems to only unite cranks. I'm not particularly enthused about even the smallest chance of losing the only platform where right wing losers or American billionaire sociopaths don't completely control the narrative.

Tiktok is nowhere near being "the only platform where right wing losers or American billionaire sociopaths don't completely control the narrative". Not even close. There's plenty of other platforms where "the narrative" isn't controlled by right-wingers or billionaires (though the idea that there's a single solitary narrative on any social media platform is, itself, incredibly misguided).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I can’t possibly see everybody just being willing to light money on fire. I think TikTok would spin off the US part of its business prior to the deadline.

This, pretty much.

What an incredible shitfest. Dems couldn't act to save themselves from the inevitable Insurrection 2.0, couldn't act to make sure women have human rights, couldn't act on HR1 to solve gerrymandering, but boy howdy can they censor media that isn't actually very radical, all for the fear of some zoomers potentially voting third party.

Main Paineframe posted:

Tiktok is nowhere near being "the only platform where right wing losers or American billionaire sociopaths don't completely control the narrative". Not even close. There's plenty of other platforms where "the narrative" isn't controlled by right-wingers or billionaires (though the idea that there's a single solitary narrative on any social media platform is, itself, incredibly misguided).

Wanted to recognize/validate this post as well.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shammypants posted:

i mean tiktok isnt some bastion of the left though. i get better lefty content from yotube or instagram or even small hold outs on twitter. like i think banning it is dumb, but it has some gross loving poo poo on their and way less protections then say youtube.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

zoux posted:

Remember that this came out of committee 50-0. But then Trump got a huge donation from a guy with a huge stake in ByteDance and suddenly reversed his position on banning TikTok. But not even fealty to the big man can overcome the annoyance of 1,000 14 yo's spamming your office with calls.

The degree to which the olds fear democracy is loving astonishing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How the hell is tiktok democracy

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

zoux posted:

How the hell is tiktok democracy

they do the dances and its funny so the app is okay

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Pretty funny to watch the Dems intentionally trash the youth vote ngl

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

The role tiktok has played in documenting the genocide of Gaza (often via tiktoks of Israelis broadcasting their war crimes) and turning people against Israel (and the Democratic Party) is absolutely a major part of this ban moving ahead.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 13, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"They get bitter, they cling to vapes or tiktok,"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tractor fanatic posted:

Didn't it pass with bipartisan support?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i like i think banning it is dumb, but it has some gross loving poo poo on their and way less protections then say youtube.
Gross stuff that goes beyond YouTube? Honestly, the worst content I see there is from @thedemocrats

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7345180934573985067

I really like TikTok, this sucks. I hate YouTube and do not use it for fun.

(Why do @thedemocrats still post on TikTok anyway?)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Oh no, if TikTok goes away nothing will never take it’s place. That’s just how the internet works.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

tractor fanatic posted:

The very valuable 12-16 year old voting demographic.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

The degree to which the olds fear democracy is loving astonishing.

Most Americans don't actually give a poo poo about democracy. They care about surviving first. Right now people are struggling paying for the necessities of life and blaming Biden and for some insane reason think Trump will make it better. It's no secret electing Trump again will mean democracy is dead in this country and yet half the country is ok with that because they think re-electing Trump will somehow lower their rent or make their groceries cost less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Didn't it pass with bipartisan support?

Incumbent president, and the Dems control the senate, and young people are more Dem than Rep.

Xombie posted:

The very valuable 12-16 year old voting demographic.

TikTok is like 30% of US mobile users