Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Didn't it pass with bipartisan support?

"Only the Democrats have agency" is the kind of political message you might get from TikTok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1767877865612124257
https://twitter.com/cjwarnke/status/1767885323990618591

Caros
May 14, 2008

tractor fanatic posted:

TikTok is like 30% of US mobile users

Yeah. Everyone aged 12-16. That is what they said.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

zoux posted:

"Only the Democrats have agency" is the kind of political message you might get from TikTok

I have not encountered these. The only political messages I have encountered are from @thedemocrats , whom I follow. Do you have any links or further insight into the spread of these messages you're talking about?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

tractor fanatic posted:

TikTok is like 30% of US mobile users

Please provide a venn diagram of US citizens who:
  • Use TikTok
  • Are of voting age
  • Vote in elections
  • Vote for Democrats
  • Vote based primarily on whether they can use TikTok

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

zoux posted:

How the hell is tiktok democracy

here's an exercise, you tell ME why you think it was banned

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

Let's ask the most popular democrat on the platform

https://twitter.com/JeffJacksonNC/status/1767936238625984739

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xombie posted:

Please provide a venn diagram of US citizens who:
  • Use TikTok
  • Are of voting age
  • Vote in elections
  • Vote for Democrats
  • Vote based primarily on whether they can use TikTok

tell me you haven't knocked on doors in the last 4 years without telling me you haven't knocked on doors in the last 4 years

I'm sorry but you're out of touch on this one. Its a massive social grapevine and it has resulted in a resurgence in political interest in young Americans, genuinely, and it has resulted in more horrific aspects of our society seeing more eyes than it would have otherwise, resulting in annoyances like "actually calling your representative rather than just thinking about it" and "show up for local elections where some fuckwad hoped to slip under the radar."

The status quo politicians know this, which is why this is getting banned.

Edit: rereading this, it has a more hostile tone than I intended. I have no grudge with you, I think you're a fine poster. I want to suggest that you might not be up to speed on Tiktok's impact on political involvement in young americans, based on my experience encountering more informed, active young Americans on doorsteps than I ever have in the past, by a massive massive margin.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 13, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Yeah, that seems like a bad idea. the GOP could actually make some inroads with different communities who have social conservative leanings but apperently its not what the dear leader wishes.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The most confusing thing about the Tiktok ban is why republicans aren't reversing course on it. They have no moral qualms about selling out to foreign powers, and labeling democrats as the party that wants to take away Tiktok would absolutely swing enough millenial/zoomer votes to matter in some races.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

zoux posted:

I'll pass thanks, after what he excused for abortion rights.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is...this an extension of the DEI backlash? What?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Blind Pineapple posted:

The most confusing thing about the Tiktok ban is why republicans aren't reversing course on it. They have no moral qualms about selling out to foreign powers, and labeling democrats as the party that wants to take away Tiktok would absolutely swing enough millenial/zoomer votes to matter to in some races.

If Tiktok does get spun off, it will inevitably be bought by a right wing billionaire such as Kevin O'Leary or Bobby Kotick.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Being owned and potentially controlled by an "adversarial country" seems pretty weak to me.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Potato Salad posted:

tell me you haven't knocked on doors in the last 4 years without telling me you haven't knocked on doors in the last 4 years

I'm sorry but you're out of touch on this one. Its a massive social grapevine and it has resulted in a resurgence in political interest in young Americans, genuinely, and it has resulted in more horrific aspects of our society seeing more eyes than it would have otherwise, resulting in annoyances like "actually calling your representative rather than just thinking about it" and "show up for local elections where some fuckwad hoped to slip under the radar."

The status quo politicians know this, which is why this is getting banned.

People are known for their steadfast lifelong loyalty to specific social media platforms, which is why social media platforms never fail or get replaced by other social media platforms.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

Deadass simple nationalism/protectionism explains it all, you don't need to shop for less-fitting explanations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Potato Salad posted:

Is...this an extension of the DEI backlash? What?

who knows. alot of the chuds are also super racist and think outreach is bullshit because they genuinly think they are the silent majority still.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

I'll pass thanks, after what he excused for abortion rights.

I see.

Anyway, the big concern was that the platform could be used to spread misinformation and propagandize its users, and then that was proven when TikTok sent out a misleading notification (that TikTok was being banned) and had an automatic link to call your rep and congress was inundated by hundreds of thousands of calls from children telling them not to ban tiktok.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
question for the "tiktok is good and fundamental to democracy" crowd: not that Meta is, you know, anything other than a completely separate nightmare, but what does TikTok do/allow for that Instagram reels do not?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xombie posted:

People are known for their steadfast lifelong loyalty to specific social media platforms, which is why social media platforms never fail or get replaced by other social media platforms.

That doesn't seem relevant?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can someone explain to me what the supposed rationale is for banning tiktok but not FB or twitter? (I'm asking earnestly, I don't know much about the topic)

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Potato Salad posted:

That doesn't seem relevant?

You didn't even respond directly to anything I said, so "that's not relevant" doesn't work as a counter-argument.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Can someone explain to me what the supposed rationale is for banning tiktok but not FB or twitter? (I'm asking earnestly, I don't know much about the topic)

The fig leaf is domestic ownership of mass media. There's potentially cause there, but all anyone has been able to put forward substantively is Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:Re:Your Children Are Being Controlled By Vampires In Their Cellphone

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Who owns it and runs it and has access to its data, it's why the bill allows for its continued existence and use if that stuff changes rather than just banning it outright.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 13, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

ByteDance is a Chinese company.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xombie posted:

You didn't even respond directly to anything I said, so "that's not relevant" doesn't work as a counter-argument.

Forgive me, its more that I'm failing to see why "People are known for their steadfast lifelong loyalty to specific social media platforms, which is why social media platforms never fail or get replaced by other social media platforms." has anything to do with canvassing and discovering Tiktok has had a massive positive impact on young voter engagement and a better informed public.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
So straight up "the internet should be owned and controlled by the US" ?

wtf

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

TikTok is claimed to be controlled by an adversarial country -- Communist China. That's it.

(Personally, I find the U.S. government to be more adversarial to my own interests, but...)

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The US government can subpoena information from FB and Twitter. Theoretically the Chinese government can obtain information from TikTok, because ByteDance is a Chinese company.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Potato Salad posted:

Edit: rereading this, it has a more hostile tone than I intended. I have no grudge with you, I think you're a fine poster. I want to suggest that you might not be up to speed on Tiktok's impact on political involvement in young americans, based on my experience encountering more informed, active young Americans on doorsteps than I ever have in the past, by a massive massive margin.

This was up the page a bit Xombie in case you didn't see the edit - I wanted to specifically say I don't feel confrontational about this in any way, its all just a discussion on a forum.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

So straight up "the internet should be owned and controlled by the US" ?

wtf

No? No one said that.

Potato Salad posted:

The fig leaf is domestic ownership of mass media. There's potentially cause there, but all anyone has been able to put forward substantively is Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:Re:Your Children Are Being Controlled By Vampires In Their Cellphone

Honestly I thought this whole thing was dumb on the part of Congress, but the response I've been seeing from many folks, including you, has straight up convinced me they are right to do so, and probably should have outright banned it. So you might want to reconsider the effectiveness of your rhetorical approach. It sounds like Congress actually had the same response, the more feedback they got the more convinced it was the right course of action.

Arguing for your side badly can cause far, far more damage to your cause than someone arguing against you ever could.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Blind Pineapple posted:

The most confusing thing about the Tiktok ban is why republicans aren't reversing course on it. They have no moral qualms about selling out to foreign powers, and labeling democrats as the party that wants to take away Tiktok would absolutely swing enough millenial/zoomer votes to matter in some races.

I'd say they have as many qualms about "selling out to foreign powers" as democrats do, so the latter must not be enough to get them to care.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GlyphGryph posted:

No? No one said that.

Honestly I thought this whole thing was dumb on the part of Congress, but the response I've been seeing from many folks, including you, has straight up convinced me they are right to do so, and probably should have outright banned it. So you might want to reconsider the effectiveness of your rhetorical approach. It sounds like Congress actually had the same response, the more feedback they got the more convinced it was the right course of action.

Arguing for your side badly can cause far, far more damage to your cause than someone arguing against you ever could.

I don't fall for "Actually you have convinced me of the opposite, for the immaterial texture of what you're saying rather than the material text" thing, I've been on this here internet for decades.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

maybe if tiktok goes down we will see an increase in new regs here on something awful. could be a big boost. trust the process.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I mean, TikTok literally did what Congress was afraid they'd do. That bill came out of committee 50-0 in 2024, that is absolutely insane.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Potato Salad posted:

Forgive me, its more that I'm failing to see why "People are known for their steadfast lifelong loyalty to specific social media platforms, which is why social media platforms never fail or get replaced by other social media platforms." has anything to do with canvassing and discovering Tiktok has had a massive positive impact on young voter engagement and a better informed public.

The part where it just gets replaced by the next social media platform that does the same thing, because TikTok is not the first social media platform in existence and wasn't birthed fully formed in a vacuum.

My original point had nothing to do with the positive or negative impact TikTok has on voters. I was saying that no one is going to stop voting for Democrats just because they can't use TikTok.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mawarannahr posted:

TikTok is claimed to be controlled by an adversarial country -- Communist China. That's it.

(Personally, I find the U.S. government to be more adversarial to my own interests, but...)
Yes and Facebook/Meta has been found to do all sorts of shady poo poo with their algorithms but at no point have they been punished for any of it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xombie posted:

The part where it just gets replaced by the next social media platform that does the same thing, because TikTok is not the first social media platform in existence and wasn't birthed fully formed in a vacuum.

:shrug: I can't explain the phenomenon to you, nor shall I pretend to. You're telling me Tiktok isn't the first social media platform in existence, and I counter "well they did something right on this one," per its wild success and the side effect of being a great platform for allowing people to share the uncut realities of the American experience with each other.

if you can explain it, go start a social media company I guess. I can't explain the secret sauce and won't pretend to. I can however attest to the results.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Potato Salad posted:

censor media

Holy poo poo tiktok brain is real. I'm shocked to see this on a forum that I see as one of the last holdouts against algorithm-driven engagement factories. Tiktok uses a totally oapque algorithm to feed you non stop images and sounds of their choosing and sends as much data as they can to China and lied about doing so. If you want to call that "democratic" you've lost your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Riptor posted:

question for the "tiktok is good and fundamental to democracy" crowd: not that Meta is, you know, anything other than a completely separate nightmare, but what does TikTok do/allow for that Instagram reels do not?

tiktok's recommendation algorithm is extremely good at surfacing new videos for people to watch, as opposed to instagram which is like 90% (exaggeration) advertisements and lovely/irrelevant stuff, at least for me. like the basic functionality/premise of the site is easily replicated and indeed you can find it now in multiple places, but its actual operation and user experience, which does not seem to be easily replicated, is far superior to its competitors.