Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xombie posted:

I original point had nothing to do with the positive or negative impact TikTok has on voters. I was saying that no one is going to stop voting for Democrats just because they can't use TikTok.

I can see where we were talking past each other here. It's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Magic Underwear posted:

sends as much data as they can to China

Good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes and Facebook/Meta has been found to do all sorts of shady poo poo with their algorithms but at no point have they been punished for any of it

There have been multiple attempts, there's a reason Zuckerberg is in front of Congress so often.

Potato Salad posted:

a great platform for allowing people to share the uncut realities of the American experience with each other

Jesus loving Christ. Seriously, ban it all. Ban it all now. If this is the sort of zombie it creates, it needs to die yesterday.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

You're not concerned they know which ekekekekke cat videos and Arab parent reacts and pumbas you've seen, and for exactly how long?

GlyphGryph posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Seriously, ban it all. Ban it all now. If this is the sort of zombie it creates, it needs to die yesterday.
Calm down.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 13, 2024

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Alright well I guess we don't have much to talk about if you consider that a positive thing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Magic Underwear posted:

Holy poo poo tiktok brain is real. I'm shocked to see this on a forum that I see as one of the last holdouts against algorithm-driven engagement factories. Tiktok uses a totally oapque algorithm to feed you non stop images and sounds of their choosing and sends as much data as they can to China and lied about doing so. If you want to call that "democratic" you've lost your mind.

I don't know how to engage this any better than I know how to engage Chuck Grassley about it.

And I used to consider him okay-ish-ish a good long time ago, having literally fielded technical questions from him before, face to face.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Potato Salad posted:

:shrug: I can't explain the phenomenon to you, nor shall I pretend to. You're telling me Tiktok isn't the first social media platform in existence, and I counter "well they did something right on this one," per its wild success and the side effect of being a great platform for allowing people to share the uncut realities of the American experience with each other.

if you can explain it, go start a social media company I guess. I can't explain the secret sauce and won't pretend to. I can however attest to the results.

TikTok isn't special. It's just current. MySpace, Vine, Snapchat, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, none of these were special in a way that didn't stop a future success by another social media company that led them to get trounced by the next big thing. Your argument is predicated on TikTok being banned and it not getting replaced by something even more popular.

In the history of the internet, that would be a first.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Magic Underwear posted:

Alright well I guess we don't have much to talk about if you consider that a positive thing.

As an American I would much rather have China own my data than some white supremacist American like Elon Musk, which will be the inevitable outcome of this bill unless Tiktok is pulled from the US.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
What if the state of Israel owned TikTok, would everyone still be defending it?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xombie posted:

TikTok isn't special. It's just current. MySpace, Vine, Snapchat, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, none of these were special in a way that didn't stop a future success by another social media company that led them to get trounced by something else. Your argument is predicated on TikTok being banned and it not getting replaced by something even more popular.

In the history of the internet, that would be a first.

Reread the part I underlined and you find why, today, in the current world, a certain bill passed. Then think about why they voted yes.

Who said anything about tiktok's star eventually setting, like any other platform? Sure it will, but uhhh how is that at all relevant. When I talk with new voters who are stunningly-well informed, this is the zeitgeist that's brought up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GlyphGryph posted:

There have been multiple attempts, there's a reason Zuckerberg is in front of Congress so often.

Which sounds likelier to you: that I'm a zombie, or you don't like hearing what I have to say about my experience canvassing and how that's changed in the last 4 of 12-ish years I've done so on a regular basis?

Consider why you're so keen to rapidly reject boots-on-the-ground viewpoints on the american information ecosystem.

lord I cannot believe I am typing these words sincerely

Edit: not even really my viewpoint; I'm just relaying the aggregate sum of what my ears hear young voters tell me on doorsteps and in hallways.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
"No no, this massive social media company sucking up user data into a black box and feeding them engagement bait from an ever tightening algorithm is the good one!"

Remember when Google's motto was Don't Be Evil?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blind Pineapple posted:

The most confusing thing about the Tiktok ban is why republicans aren't reversing course on it. They have no moral qualms about selling out to foreign powers, and labeling democrats as the party that wants to take away Tiktok would absolutely swing enough millenial/zoomer votes to matter in some races.

Democrats will be blamed regardless as they should be if Biden signs it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

Being owned and potentially controlled by an "adversarial country" seems pretty weak to me.
Yeah, it's a dumb reason. What they should do is go after all big social media and companies doing data harvesting, regardless if they're international or local, but we can't actually have meaningful consumer protection and interests in mind.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All social media must be destroyed, this is a good start

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I know the wheels of government grind slowly, but is an anti-Ke$ha bill really needed in 2024?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
First they came for tik tok, but I did not care because I'm not a loving moron that uses social media. Like what the gently caress are you all doing using services like that in the first place, let alone simping for them. Y'all are telling on yourselves white knighting the brian rot apps that you're addicted to.

Enjoy it if you want but lol at giving a poo poo about what happens to these apps and companies.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

PharmerBoy posted:

"No no, this massive social media company sucking up user data into a black box and feeding them engagement bait from an ever tightening algorithm is the good one!"

They're all bad and a huge net negative on society. Pretty dumb to be targeting just one because CHINA!!! though.

I'm sure they'll drag Zuck in front of Congress again at some point and then continue to do nothing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Forums excluded, of course

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, it's a dumb reason. What they should do is go after all big social media and companies doing data harvesting, regardless if they're international or local, but we can't actually have meaningful consumer protection and interests in mind.

Putting on my professional hat, yeah the actual solution to malicious information control is to cut out the malicious part. It is absurd to assume that the only actor who wishes ill will upon the national security of the united states is foreign. stares at Jan 6 2021 on calendar

Swat all the flies at once by actually protecting consumer privacy, if you're concerned about how user data can be used to harm American interests.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

RBA Starblade posted:

Anti-social media is allowed

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

marshmonkey posted:

What if the state of Israel owned TikTok, would everyone still be defending it?

If Israel owned it, we wouldn't be having this conversation because there never would've been counter-narrative videos of the genocide in Gaza in the mainstream, which is what is really driving all this.

Anecdotes and all that, but I know a few people who have been radicalized by Tiktok, and people who never knew a thing about I/P are suddenly very pro-Palestine.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

haveblue posted:

At this time I need to unequivocally declare that I have reversed course on this bill and will be canvassing for the subsequent destruction of the Internet.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Potato Salad posted:

Reread the part I underlined and you find why, today, in the current world, a certain bill passed. Then think about why they voted yes.

Who said anything about tiktok's star eventually setting, like any other platform? Sure it will, but uhhh how is that at all relevant. When I talk with new voters who are stunningly-well informed, this is the zeitgeist that's brought up.

It's current until it's not current and then it's replaced with whatever will be current. The platform isn't a zeitgeist, it's an addictive bit of programming. Nothing about it makes it irreplaceable.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

brugroffil posted:

They're all bad and a huge net negative on society. Pretty dumb to be targeting just one because CHINA!!! though.

I'm sure they'll drag Zuck in front of Congress again at some point and then continue to do nothing.

I'll give you that, all of them should be blasted. Can't get worked up over one of them being hit for an iffy reason, though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Blind Pineapple posted:

If Israel owned it, we wouldn't be having this conversation because there never would've been counter-narrative videos of the genocide in Gaza in the mainstream, which is what is really driving all this.

Anecdotes and all that, but I know a few people who have been radicalized by Tiktok, and people who never knew a thing about I/P are suddenly very pro-Palestine.

That bugged me a bit too, but it is likely more productive to wonder why the substance of I/P radicalized so many people against a certain party.

Spoilered because this dips just a little bit into I/P and I don't know D&D's rules on it right now Many, many Palestinian thinkers, poets, political figures, authors etc have pointed out for a long time that (to summarize) "the genocide is happening right now, on video, on your phones -- the answer to 'what would you do during a second holocaust' is 'what are you doing right now?'"

I see platforms like Tiktok as important to making those cries for some kind of visibility actually bear some fruit.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

PharmerBoy posted:

I feel like there's less of a chance that TikTok would give up your data to the NYPD with a warantless subpoena or cooperate with the NSA :nsa:. Domestic data harvesting companies should be a much greater worry for Americans.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

if israel owned tik tok i would support its banning because i support the BDS movement.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Blind Pineapple posted:

The people in power have wanted to ban TikTok for years.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Xombie posted:

It's current until it's not current and then it's replaced with whatever will be current. The platform isn't a zeitgeist, it's an addictive bit of programming. Nothing about it makes it irreplaceable.

TikTok's recommendation algorithm seems to just be better than its competitors, which is why it's still beating Reels and Shorts. That's why all these worries about data or manipulation miss their mark. TikTok is better, but not fundamentally different, from other social media, so banning TikTok is just selling out its userbase to Musk and Zuckerberg, and everyone knows Congress isn't going to poo poo about them.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

GlyphGryph posted:

No? No one said that.

Honestly I thought this whole thing was dumb on the part of Congress, but the response I've been seeing from many folks, including you, has straight up convinced me they are right to do so, and probably should have outright banned it. So you might want to reconsider the effectiveness of your rhetorical approach. It sounds like Congress actually had the same response, the more feedback they got the more convinced it was the right course of action.

Arguing for your side badly can cause far, far more damage to your cause than someone arguing against you ever could.
lol, a living bors "look what you made me become" comic but about banning social media sites instead

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

zoux posted:

Let's ask the most popular democrat on the platform

https://twitter.com/JeffJacksonNC/status/1767936238625984739

This guy is the most popular democrat?

What is it with the Dems and milquetoast white guys from North Carolina who look like they are going to cheat on their wives every chance they get?

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

But it's not about destroying social media. It's not even about protecting people's data. It's about restricting social media so the worse social media platforms become more entrenched.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xombie posted:

We have different thoughts about what is "irreplacable" and what not then. You -- rightfully and accurately -- point out that Tiktok the platform isn't irreplacable, and its not going to be a big thing in the future when it is overtaken by Kumkwatrr or whatever future app creates a better dopamine treadmill for burned out millennials and zoomers in the future.

I see the present sauce that makes Tiktok seem to activate young voters in a way I haven't seen before in my adult live and my extensive experience canvassing as valuable unto itself. Sure, we can argue about current vs future, first vs just another social media site, etc all day long. I argue that, at present, its a valuable tool for sharing and seeing what other normal Americans are experiencing and thinking, and for whatever reason it has a pulse on the authentic working-class experience in a manner far better than ever emerged on other platforms. That's why I see it as valauble and that's why I feel saddened that Congress seems to be so eager to stomp it out.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

RBA Starblade posted:

At least they came for the forums, and there was no one left to speak for me, so instead I spoke for myself and said "Thank god, I'm free at last."

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hey potato, you know you can edit posts, right?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

The people in power have wanted to ban TikTok for years.

Sure, but the timing of actually getting the wheels in motion is pretty convenient.

And it might not even be I/P specifically, as much as that particular issue has raised awareness among the powers that be that something exists that poses some challenge to their ability to control narratives they've had on lockdown for decades with the usual mainstream media outlets.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Hey potato, you know you can edit posts, right?

Oh lord, what did I butterfinger?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Potato Salad posted:

I see the present sauce that makes Tiktok seem to activate young voters in a way I haven't seen before in my adult live and my extensive experience canvassing as valuable unto itself. Sure, we can argue about current vs future, first vs just another social media site, etc all day long. I argue that, at present, its a valuable tool for sharing and seeing what other normal Americans are experiencing and thinking, and for whatever reason it has a pulse on the authentic working-class experience in a manner far better than ever emerged on other platforms. That's why I see it as valauble and that's why I feel saddened that Congress seems to be so eager to stomp it out.

Right.... and so how would your opinion change if that sauce is leveraged towards "Taiwan is really just part of China; they shouldn't be their own state"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Potato Salad posted:

Oh lord, what did I butterfinger?

I'm just ribbing you for all the double and combo broken triple posting. :v: