Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Weird, I didn't even see it show up on the shop

EDIT: It's up now and available for pre-order lmao

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Are those the fill pens or the markers? I'm talking about the ones that you use to color in surfaces, not recesses. Like these ones

They're great, I use them on all the kits I've painted and posted here. Just be sure to use them in a well-ventilated area.

Edit: if you go back through my posts, I used that set on my MODEROID El Dora V.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 13, 2024

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Arc Hammer posted:

Are those the fill pens or the markers? I'm talking about the ones that you use to color in surfaces, not recesses. Like these ones

ah, I use those too and they've worked fine, you just gotta give them a good shaking if they've been sitting around too long

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Buck Wildman posted:

ah, I use those too and they've worked fine, you just gotta give them a good shaking if they've been sitting around too long

TIL I am a Gundam marker

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I do wonder if Bandai ever stops to consider if a PB release wasn't the best move based on overwhelming demand.

Pretty rarely, I imagine.

P-Bandai releases have the money go direct to Bandai, so they get a higher percent of the take. Now, if it would sell even more in mass retail, that's obviously the way to go, but "Tons of Gundam geeks will pay extra for it, normies will ignore it" is the ideal for Bandai in these cases.

There also have been plenty of times (some GMs come to mind) when the initial release is very popular, but later restocks linger. The people who wanted them wanted them a lot, so it sold out fast, but not enough people wanted them for later print runs to see the same success.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I am genuinely curious what is keeping the main machines so busy that p-bandai becomes "necessary"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Argas posted:

I am genuinely curious what is keeping the main machines so busy that p-bandai becomes "necessary"

It was Gundam AGE what done it. They put out kits of every drat suit in that show, and then nobody bought them because the show was not popular. Retailers had mountains of unsellable kits. So they decided to play it safer and try to avoid that in the future by selling direct.

That's also why they don't do MGs of suits from current series anymore either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They dipped their toes into it again with Kyoukai Senki I'd say. And when that bombed hard they started trying to salvage the line with the "customizable" variants that are largely derived from existing kits.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It was Gundam AGE what done it. They put out kits of every drat suit in that show, and then nobody bought them because the show was not popular. Retailers had mountains of unsellable kits. So they decided to play it safer and try to avoid that in the future by selling direct.

That's also why they don't do MGs of suits from current series anymore either.

AGE was a big factor (especially in the MG thing), but if you look at releases over the years, the P-Bandai trend didn't really get going until mid-IBO or so. (The Pale Rider was kind of infamous as the first mold without a mass release.)

One thing is that demand for kits has gone up much faster than production capacity. Post-pandemic Gunpla production needs are through the roof, both for new series and for popular old designs. (Can't find confirmation, but I've seen suggestions that the MG Barbatos going to Target caused a massive drain on production for other kits.)

What's more, Bandai's been doing a bunch of new lines on the side. 30MM, 30MS, Macross, Kyoukai Senki, Scopedog, Super Robot Wars, Pokemon... every one of those getting wide release is taking up runtime that competes with P-Bandai kits. And Pikachu tends to sell more than the latest Leo variant.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Are gundam markers more like paint pens where the color will bond to the plastic after drying?

brand engager posted:

It's real paint in them although I don't know what type like water-based etc.

They use alcohol-based paint. If you're planning on multiple coats or other fancy layered stuff, you'll want to wait until the first coat is completely cured. During the dry stage, the paint is still quite fragile and can easily be scratched off, but you can use that to your advantage though to scrape off overflown areas.

wdarkk posted:

The only color I don't really like for the markers is white, although that might just be me not applying it right.

You're applying it fine, I'm sure. It's just that white, and yellow too, are notoriously the most difficult colors to paint with.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

A handy guide to posing your Gunpla

https://twitter.com/gundambro/status/1767889750193766845?s=46

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Seed pose really is great.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tag yourself I'm 'old kit.'

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Warmachine posted:

'that one impressive Mecha pose'

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm Standing Pose with a little gesture (elegant)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
gainax

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Warmachine posted:

'For the time being, keep the knees and elbows bent quite a bit'

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I have a huge backlog of ro-bit kits and I watch japanese kid's cartoons. I'm "No touch" obviously.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I gotta try that 80s mecha stance drat kono powa

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Recently went to the hobby store looking for cool kits and my wife picked up this one which I am very excited about :

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kits and toys that can approximate a good arm fold are to be treasured

I'm "left hand stretching out" aka "I'll take that string of pearls, lady!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need to put my Rose in standing pose with a little gesture (elegant)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

TheDK posted:

Recently went to the hobby store looking for cool kits and my wife picked up this one which I am very excited about :

give us a trip report on that, it looks awesome but I dont think I've seen that company before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that a puffer fish in a fishbowl mecha?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Is that a puffer fish in a fishbowl mecha?

I think this is a question handily answered by the box art.

The real question is whether the fish floats and the cockpit contains a real liquid to maintain this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So these markers are very nice and apply smoothly.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

give us a trip report on that, it looks awesome but I dont think I've seen that company before.

Seconding this. I'm super curious about those Number 57 animal mecha, but they're always just a bit too pricey to pull the trigger.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TheDK posted:

I already love it and want to find one of my own

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gund Nodes are limited to 3 per purchase on US P-Bandai.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Midjack posted:

Gund Nodes are limited to 3 per purchase on US P-Bandai.

Given that things don't sell out that often on US P-Bandai now they should have set the limit to 650.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

wdarkk posted:

Given that things don't sell out that often on US P-Bandai now they should have set the limit to 650.

Funny enough, I think they only locked in the item limit when the HG Phantom first came out (and that one was gone within a minute).

Before the HG Phantom, I remember stuff going selling out on P-Bandai pretty frequently. Since then stock in my experience has been more reasonable where you at least might have a day or so with hotter items

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

So these markers are very nice and apply smoothly.

:sickos:

Which markers did you get?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:sickos:

Which markers did you get?

A three pack of Gundam Marker EXs. One silver, one white gold and one regular gold.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Skrillmub posted:

Seconding this. I'm super curious about those Number 57 animal mecha, but they're always just a bit too pricey to pull the trigger.

I did the Gravefrog a couple months back and it was a pretty fun build. Comes with a lot of customisation options, nearly enough for a second unit. Honestly the most frustrating part is that it was seriously like maybe 12 parts away from a full second frog.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I'm enjoying this Guncannon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm enjoying this Guncannon.

Missed the opportunity to break out your shiny new gold marker on the yellow bits. It'll really make it pop.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the yellow, tbh. Not that some careful applications of gold can't happen so long as I've got q tips handy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

I like the yellow, tbh. Not that some careful applications of gold can't happen so long as I've got q tips handy.

That's fair. :hmmyes:

Just pointed it out cause sometimes you can get new tools and forget you have them to play with.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Missed the opportunity to break out your shiny new gold marker on the yellow bits. It'll really make it pop.

I did this with the rg sazabi and it looked great particularly with the holographic delpi decals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Interesting how they somehow got "camphor tree stance" for No. 2. Looks like they (or whatever app they were using) confused the kanji. It just means standing straight upright, or more literally "stick stance" by their naming scheme.