Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Yeah I love the environmental design of the show, it's like what if 90s trek but they can actually depict all the locations they're visiting in full detail, rather than just dressed soundstages or california countryside

...which is why that one "I love caves, they always have such smooth floors" joke really killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Everyone likes Shaw because he got drunk and unprofessionally had a go at a superior officer over twenty-year-old untreated PTSD and deadnamed his first officer but then secretly respected her but still deadnamed her anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hey, everybody said Archer was unfit to be a captain, l

They were right

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm rewatching Enterprise and it is an absolute clown show on that ship.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was ENT the one where it was rumored the execs wanted to have a different band on every week like The Bronze on Buffy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phy posted:

Was ENT the one where it was rumored the execs wanted to have a different band on every week like The Bronze on Buffy

Yes, it was. As evidenced by the initial round of trailers for the show that aired during the final season of Voyager and over the summer of 2001 featuring "Where Ever You Will Go" by contemporary 00s NuRock band and Creed/Three Doors Down also-ran The Calling.

Because Les Moonves hated Star Trek and wanted it to be less science fiction-y.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My hot take is it would have been better for the show and the franchise if they had actually done that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My hot take is it would have been better for the show and the franchise if they had actually done that.

The version of Enterprise where the first half-season is an Apollo program pastiche, with different bands playing at the astronaut bar every week, absolutely is better than what we got.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'd love it if the Xindi attack went down mid-show and now a boy band is stuck on the Enterprise on a counteroffensive mission in enemy space

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Brawnfire posted:

I'd love it if the Xindi attack went down mid-show and now a boy band is stuck on the Enterprise on a counteroffensive mission in enemy space

“DuJour means safety!” <hunkers behind a bulkhead>

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, it was. As evidenced by the initial round of trailers for the show that aired during the final season of Voyager and over the summer of 2001 featuring "Where Ever You Will Go" by contemporary 00s NuRock band and Creed/Three Doors Down also-ran The Calling.

:lol: I'd forgotten all about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejOkf_C-mo0

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

The_Doctor posted:

And crash position.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The_Doctor posted:

Warp core lover~~

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Powered Descent posted:

Shaw is a fun character because he's such an rear end in a top hat.

Shaw is the anti-Billups. He was happy in Engineering, but then Wolf 359 happened and he feels a compulsion to ~be in control of everything~ to prevent another catastrophe like that on HIS ship.

He's what Mariner would be if she had no friends and hadn't self-sabotaged her way out of becoming a Captain.

I mean, the dude is named after Shaw from Jaws because, again, Matalas is a hack. He's not meant to be chill.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 14, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

nine-gear crow posted:

Because Les Moonves hated Star Trek and wanted it to be less science fiction-y.

Making every single show into a sort of brown slurry that's as inoffensive and appeals to as many people (just in a general sense) as possible
Eastenders and no other show forever and ever

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Borg queen should have been just a variant on Locutus - some representative the Borg spits out every now and again because they need a figurehead to talk to other races. Heck, I'd even be on board with the Borg producing queens as an experiment in singular leadership - every other species has some sort of hierarchy, maybe we should try that too. Oh look it's all gone horribly wrong and we are now insane and all our cubes are fighting each other, let's not do that again.
Since the Borg possess the entire knowledge of every species they assimilate, they should know all about A: psychology, and B: acting. The Queen in First Contact being nothing but a construct, a psychological weapon specifically against Data trying to crack his defenses by lies and persuasion because they know their usual blunt methods won't work, would have been interesting, especially if Data experienced genuine emotions in response to her fake ones. Maybe a bit subtle for an action-adventure movie, though.

On a tangent, what would the Borg have been like in the long term if all the drones had the same amount of personality and sass as Seven when we first met her? Even when she was still in the Collective, she was fully able to engage in verbal jousting with Janeway and give as good as she got. (Her contempt for everyone on Voyager was clear too.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The collective voice in Best of Both Worlds has a degree of personality too, Picard was able to engage it in conversation. If you imagine them having just used a single drone to speak instead of all at once (and that drone having very contemptuous body language and tone) it might have been much like the initial seven-janeway conversations. I prefer the depiction of the Borg as being uncountable number of voices sassing you at once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjMJklb3xU

Speaking of which, I reckon they missed a beat in BoBW by not having the drones around Picard also speak the words in unison, imply that the voice is literally all of the drones in the ship speaking as one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 14, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Small Strange Bird posted:

Since the Borg possess the entire knowledge of every species they assimilate, they should know all about A: psychology, and B: acting. The Queen in First Contact being nothing but a construct, a psychological weapon specifically against Data trying to crack his defenses by lies and persuasion because they know their usual blunt methods won't work, would have been interesting, especially if Data experienced genuine emotions in response to her fake ones. Maybe a bit subtle for an action-adventure movie, though.

This is my pitch as well, the Queen is a once off tactic to crack Data after their brute force methods aren't getting anywhere. But the early attempts to appeal to him through an avatar are so inhuman and off putting, but of course they eventually adapt into something genuinely persuasive/seductive.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
We, a non hive mind, can understand and conceptualize how a hive kind might act.

The borg are explicitly not a hive mind. They’re a collective. The add distinctiveness to that collective.

Even if they were a hive mind, however, there’s no reason they couldn’t understand and conceptualize how a non-hive society might operate. Especially with having tens of thousands of examples assimilated into their collective experience.

So yes, the idea of a figurehead for dealing with other groups isn’t at all far fetched.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

TheCenturion posted:

We, a non hive mind, can understand and conceptualize how a hive kind might act.

The borg are explicitly not a hive mind. They’re a collective. The add distinctiveness to that collective.

Even if they were a hive mind, however, there’s no reason they couldn’t understand and conceptualize how a non-hive society might operate. Especially with having tens of thousands of examples assimilated into their collective experience.

So yes, the idea of a figurehead for dealing with other groups isn’t at all far fetched.

Even when we first meet Seven she was just a regular drone, nothing special and no special designation, and her primary job was to liase between Voyager and the Borg.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I would like the Borg to be a lot weirder than we have seen so far, but tbh that's what I want out of most sci-fi. Weird poo poo.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would like the Borg to be a lot weirder than we have seen so far, but tbh that's what I want out of most sci-fi. Weird poo poo.

Have you seen Scavengers Reign? Some of the weirdest & best sci-fi I've seen in a long time

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Finn posted:

Have you seen Scavengers Reign? Some of the weirdest & best sci-fi I've seen in a long time

Been meaning to check this out as well.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

nine-gear crow posted:

If #StarTrekLegacy ever gets made (which it won't lol), they should just have Shaw show up completely fine with no explanation only he's an admiral now and he's been assigned as the flag officer overseeing the Enterprise-G's operations just so that he keeps appearing on the show in a command capacity over Seven of Nine to continue making her life miserable.

This and keep making him suffer with either getting beat up/exploded/shot and often dying by the end of the episode but still shows up a few weeks later with no mention of prior deaths

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tars Tarkas posted:

This and keep making him suffer with either getting beat up/exploded/shot and often dying by the end of the episode but still shows up a few weeks later with no mention of prior deaths

Yeah yeah the time knifeblack mountain we've all seen it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
A fun collective versus federation would be the federation taking a leader and the collective not caring in the slightest, immediately selecting a new queen while the previous one self destructs taking as many Interlopers with her as possible.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

A room opens in a cube and there's a whole selection of queens, some of varying ages, all speaking in unison because guess what! Only the Collective matters.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

swickles posted:

Even when we first meet Seven she was just a regular drone, nothing special and no special designation, and her primary job was to liase between Voyager and the Borg.

I mean, it's right there in the whole 'We are Borg' thing. There's no we in a unified consciousness.

I don't think they ever really nailed down what 'Borg' were, so there's like five different takes on it across the franchise.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Honestly it works better if you think that the Borgs are a collection of hives which each have different takes on the hivemind approach depending on what they have assimilated; some groups capture locals to act as their voice against the new targets but hive still decides on things, some ended up electing a queen and accidentally gave it full and privileged admin rights, some queens turning assholes and despots, some just running the hive towards beneficial objectives and acting as their representative. Some might even have a borg king or borg dog running the show. They are all borg, but their clusters run on different admin settings.

That would also make it so that Picard S2 Jurati borgs and S3 weaponized cum borgs can exist at the same time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Honestly it works better if you think that the Borgs are a collection of hives which each have different takes on the hivemind approach depending on what they have assimilated; some groups capture locals to act as their voice against the new targets but hive still decides on things, some ended up electing a queen and accidentally gave it full and privileged admin rights, some queens turning assholes and despots, some just running the hive towards beneficial objectives and acting as their representative. Some might even have a borg king or borg dog running the show. They are all borg, but their clusters run on different admin settings.

That would also make it so that Picard S2 Jurati borgs and S3 weaponized cum borgs can exist at the same time.

what would be even better if all the hives were still ultimately part of the same collective. after all they share the same goal, just with different methodologies. and every now and then they have a large information exchange.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And by information exchange you mean two cubes meet and smush into each other and counter-assimilate each other competitively in a way that's half fighting and half loving and then at the end the cubes are now uniform and the same with with the optimal choices.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

half fighting and half loving

Well you have to resolve those database merge conflicts somehow.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Small Strange Bird posted:

On a tangent, what would the Borg have been like in the long term if all the drones had the same amount of personality and sass as Seven when we first met her? Even when she was still in the Collective, she was fully able to engage in verbal jousting with Janeway and give as good as she got. (Her contempt for everyone on Voyager was clear too.)

I'm down for catty borg. We have no idea what they are saying in their internal communication channels. Suddenly being cut off from all that hot gos is traumatic.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm down for catty borg. We have no idea what they are saying in their internal communication channels. Suddenly being cut off from all that hot gos is traumatic.

This is just Excession. I'm fine with that tho.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Come to think of it they really botched Seven coping with being away from the Borg. Being disconnected and lonely should've made her extremely codependent, constantly needing to be around other people, constantly wanting to know what's going on with every member of the crew. It makes no sense she is all cold and closed off.

Likewise the Voyager crew should've benefitted from a more collective philosophy and less executive command. The Voyager that returns home shouldn't even resemble a standard federation ship anymore in terms of structure and power.

but whatever, not utilizing an interesting concept is what Voyager is made of.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Its one of the things where Ronald Moore was right; Voyager should have aged, and ended up being a collection of things juryrigged, stolen and kept as a loot by the end of the show, with increasing number of crew being just random non-Federation species given varying degrees of non-com officer badges they designed because of O'Brien in DS9.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Come to think of it they really botched Seven coping with being away from the Borg. Being disconnected and lonely should've made her extremely codependent, constantly needing to be around other people, constantly wanting to know what's going on with every member of the crew. It makes no sense she is all cold and closed off.

Likewise the Voyager crew should've benefitted from a more collective philosophy and less executive command. The Voyager that returns home shouldn't even resemble a standard federation ship anymore in terms of structure and power.

I'm not sure enough time really passed for that much change to happen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khanstant posted:

She might want those things, but she has zero social skills. Her only opportunity to develop social skills was a small child completely isolated from everyone but her own parents, and she doesn't even remember that. (She would probably have been weird even if they'd never been droned, spending years completely isolated during formative years seems bad for social development.)

Borg don't need social skills because they are all effectively telepaths who are unable to turn off the hose of every other borg's thoughts.

She craves connection but is unable to find it. And what humans have to offer is such a weak shadow of the connection of the collective. It probably doesn't help that when she is first forcibly de-borged everyone onboard is terrified of and/or angry at her. That initial universal rejection is going to wound her.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

The Voyager that returns home shouldn't even resemble a standard federation ship anymore in terms of structure and power.

It should have been a massive entity that called itself V'Ger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is just Excession. I'm fine with that tho.

Anticipation of a New Borg Queen's Arrival, The.