Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Dokapon Findom posted:

That is actually such a big deal if the ocean is just straight up done with absorbing heat

Recalling this excellent post in response to my question: How would the total amount of heat absorbed thus far compare to the global nuclear arsenal at its historic peak?

Absolutely wild! It is probably safe to say we can expect the oceans to get warmer yet

On the contrary, the ocean has absorbed record amounts of heat over the past year!

oh. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
sorry, you put a little podium down first when you put that flag on the world's tallest garbage pile, so who can really say if it's the world's tallest? myth busted

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Earth albedo, my libido

In denial

In denial

In denial

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Harold Fjord posted:

In denial

In denial

In denial

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

The srilanka one stuck with me since I read a story where people there were asked about what it is like during a collapse and they were just like 'you step over a body on the way to work, then you go home'

https://gen.medium.com/i-lived-through-collapse-america-is-already-there-ba1e4b54c5fc

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

quote:

Was I a rich Colombo fuckboi while poorer people died, especially minorities? Well, yes.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

graph

https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1767509577656856739

bask in the beauty of that strong, virile line

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
wtf happened in 2002 that made net energy flux momentarily negative?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The most charitable reading of that graph is that it's twice as bad in twenty years, but really it's more like triple

e: and accelerating lol

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

net flux and chill

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SixteenShells posted:

Egg Moron posted:

net flux and chill

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Egg Moron posted:

net flux and chill

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

SixteenShells posted:

it kinda looks like it takes a dip after global recessions

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I saw Putin was threatening to use nukes, how much nuclear winter do we need to offset this because I think I have an Idea

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Theoretically what if the Democrats put nuclear winter sun glasses on the earth

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/12/cop-summit-labor-australia-host

quote:

Hosting Cop in 2026 could be the incentive Australia needs to turbocharge climate action | Richie Merzian

In 2021 the then prime minister, Scott Morrison, reluctantly agreed to attend the Glasgow Climate Conference – the 26th Conference of the Parties (Cop) – thanks largely to peer pressure from the United Kingdom, which was the president of the conference at the time (and was led by a Conservative prime minister). Despite his reluctance, Morrison felt compelled to adopt a net zero by 2050 target before takeoff.

Only a week after the conference, the then opposition leader, Anthony Albanese, said if Labor won the next election, he would put his hand up to host a Cop in 2024.

Well, Labor won. And it’s 2024. So dude, where is my Cop?

Cops are a big deal. Like, a really big deal.

At the Cop in Dubai last year there were about 90,000 attenders. Cops are the biggest event a country can host outside sports. As the climate crisis has grown, so too have the conferences’ scope. To add to the complexity, all decisions taken at the conference must be by consensus. Think about how hard it is to introduce climate policies in Australia where all you need is a simple 50% majority and then imagine getting consensus between almost every nation on Earth.

Cops are complicated, incremental, painstaking work that ensures everyone is along for the journey. The result (when it works) is groundbreaking treaties like the Paris agreement and the goal to keep global warming to 1.5C.

For those outside the UN negotiating rooms, Cops have become the de facto global trade show for climate solutions. If Albanese’s vision is truly to see Australia become a renewable energy superpower, then how better to show this to the world than having them here to view for themselves, chequebooks in hand?

Australia might again be the lucky country, when it comes to a natural endowment of solar, wind, hydro and critical minerals, but luck is not enough to transition at the speed and scale needed to address the climate crisis. Hosting the world’s largest climate trade show could be just the incentive we need.

Unfortunately, Albanese decided to delay the Cop bid from hosting in 2024 to 2026. But it is still not locked in and the clock is ticking.

The only competing bid to host in 2026 is from Turkey and the decision must be made by consensus. Despite Turkey recently pulling out of hosting a similar UN environmental conference, it is still in the running.

Turkey could be convinced to step aside, but that will require smart diplomacy.

Switzerland withdrew its competing Cop bid after recognising Australia had a stronger case, including its plan to share the presidency with its Pacific neighbours. Pacific Island nations are world leaders in the decades-long call for urgent action on climate mitigation, leading the charge that secured the 1.5C goal in the 2015 Paris agreement. Pacific leaders have backed Australia’s bid and have agreed to jointly advocate for it.
skip past newsletter promotion

We all know the Australian government can flex diplomatically when it wants to.

Just think of the efforts gone to securing Mathias Cormann’s top job at the OECD, or to keep the Great Barrier Reef off the world heritage in-danger list. Hosting a summit and a trade show to progress climate action seems like a far more worthwhile cause.

Now is the time to seal the deal and begin to build a climate-savvy Australia that we can showcase to the world.

Brazil will be the Cop president in 2025 and has decided it wants to bring the whole world to the Amazon by hosting it in the town of Belém. Brazil’s president, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, locked in his Cop bid two and a half years ahead of time. For Australia, that means securing hosting rights in the next few months.

I’ve been to almost a dozen Cops and know the government has a lot of work to do if it wants to pull off the world’s largest climate trade show.

We will need a long runway to present a new version of Australia, one that can build and export climate solutions, not just climate problems.

Ah yes, I'm sure flying 90k people to Australia to have a giant circle jerk at the world’s largest climate "trade show" is is just what what the climate needs! :shuckyes:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

brakeless posted:

graph

https://twitter.com/LeonSimons8/status/1767509577656856739

bask in the beauty of that strong, virile line

I don't see dollar signs on any of those axis labels so that chart can't be all that important.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Paradoxish posted:

I don't see dollar signs on any of those axis labels so that chart can't be all that important.

dont worry, its going up, so thats how you know its a good graph

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Gravid Topiary posted:

that reminds me, i need to find some kind of heavy-duty sun hat that'll fit over my enormous head, something that looks cool when i'm a wastelander

it’s this one https://archive-m2.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/supermarine-gently caress-it-hat.html knockoff Etsy version is here tho https://www.etsy.com/uk/nykxCo/listing/1044581809/eco-wide-brim-high-performance-rainsun

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

just need an earth sized one, take a break from the sun and cool off a lil bit

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Some say the climate is collapsing, but the way I see it, the climate is kicking our asses and remains winning

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1768011980571369799

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ty obamna

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
can't wait for +22 above average in the middle of june

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How much albedo would be offset if all roofs in all countries were white?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

smoobles posted:

Some say the climate is collapsing, but the way I see it, the climate is kicking our asses and remains winning

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1768011980571369799

guys. i am starting to think we can’t buy ourselves out of this one

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

cash crab posted:

Shut up, there's still more money to embezzle just yet

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

cash crab posted:

Not YET. that's why the economy must continue to GROW

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Salt Fish posted:

How much albedo would be offset if all roofs in all countries were white?

We should have made the roads white and the lines black

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

I think that there will always be big temporary swings based on the variability of temperature in that layer of the atmosphere where the radiation actually starts to escape into space. A more detailed answer would need digging into the CERES data source.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Harold Fjord posted:

Just a little more economy, just a little more, then we can buy a solution. No it's still not enough yet, keep doing economy things

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Holy poo poo, I need to sell dunes to rich morons

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

they just steal them

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Slapping my dune at my used dune dealership

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

we don’t need to do the ministry of the future blowing planes out of the sky because thanks to neoliberal rot and regulatory capture the planes will crash themselves lmao

anyways

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

cash crab posted:

In their case, they probably could have bought themselves out of it. Had they used stone and concrete blocks it would have been fine. But they probably would rather look at and walk on a sandy beach vs a bunch of boulders.

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF PROPERTY VALUES!!!

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdyNCYaIFyM

it sounds like they just dumped a shitload of sand on the beach and thought it would hold. that's not a dune, that's just a pile. they need plants to hold them together and time for the plants to take root and get established. also you can't walk on the dunes or it fucks up the plants and lol at the idea of rich people not walking on the dune they just paid for to get to their fancy beach poo poo, like their tennis court

the future is a "Private Property" sign in front of a churning ocean

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Harold Fjord posted:

oh okay! can i have some?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
we'll save the biosphere the moment it becomes profitable

in the short term

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

The Protagonist posted:

we'll save the biosphere the moment it becomes profitable

in the short term

invest in my carbon capture plants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

cash crab posted:

oh okay! can i have some?

Just as it is with rising sea levels, a rising tide lifts all boats!

:blessed: