Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

And there it is, the beating heart of Zionism laid bare. Look what you made me do they sob as they proudly don their armband, "It's our turn now."

Quantum Cat fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

nightsister posted:

Thanks to everyone who got through my post without accusing me of being a bad faith actor, Hasbara agent, or Jewish supremacist war crime apologist. And please note that I was not accusing anybody of being knowingly genocidal, but that I was following through what I believe to be the inevitable case if Israel was destroyed *in conflict* as many who advocate a realistic solution (unlike my pious dreams) will be forced to articulate—unless they believe the international community will step in to dismember Israel, which makes your globalist suprastate management solution about as fantastic as mine.

okay so it is wasn't you that imputed a desire for ethnic cleansing "or worse" to people responding to you here? just want to be sure I understand this right.

nightsister posted:

You may think the Israeli Jews deserve to be expelled or worse because they colonized Palestinian land,

just want to be clear, because I know free floating accusations of genocide support are a hot button issue these days

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

nightsister posted:

While we assume Israel is a European monoculture, Israeli culture has also become multiracial and multicultural between all the types of Jews (Sephardic, Mizrahi, Yemenite, Ethiopian) who have emigrated there. While we throw around “apartheid”, there are also a number of non-Jewish Arab Israeli citizens who certainly experience racism but are not literal second-class citizens the way the people of the Occupied Territories are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Israel

Oh, word?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Koos... your opus, your masterpiece... incredible.......

“I am become Koos, Calmer of Hitlers”

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
There are dozens of ethnic groups without their own ethnostate who somehow continue to survive and thrive on this planet. I also still find it puzzling that Israelis would believe expelling a group of people living in and around Israel and creating a global diaspora would somehow make them disappear.

It is always interesting to see how people justify collective punishment though. Palestinians must pay the price for the Holocaust and the poor treatment of Jews by Arabs in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 13, 2024

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

*reading the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen*

wow very thought provoking, thank you

TheDoublePivot
Feb 27, 2013

nightsister posted:

I have been watching it over one of my partners’ shoulder with some envy.

Da epic polyamorous zionist

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Quantum Cat posted:

Oh look it's time for the next one in line to kramer into the thread and be treated as if they're posting in good faith for some reason. I love reading this thread.

When one disappears after their arguments are properly countered by effort posts, another rises in their place and it begins again.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

A genuine question -- what is it about zionism that evokes this sort of goof-rear end melodramatic prose? oh fie! oh shame! oh woe! were it better that we rough brutes did not to a man perish in yon gas'd chambers? I weepily type out as my apartheid state's "defense force" actively executes a genocide a few miles up the road.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

A genuine question -- what is it about zionism that evokes this sort of goof-rear end melodramatic prose? oh fie! oh shame! oh woe! were it better that we rough brutes did not to a man perish in yon gas'd chambers? I weepily type out as my apartheid state's "defense force" actively executes a genocide a few miles up the road.

Don't forget to scare-quote "apartheid" because having to go through a checkpoint to leave your house is totally normal

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Koos... your opus, your masterpiece... incredible.......

it's beautiful

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

nightsister posted:

Many inhabitants of Israel and Zionist supporters outside of it do not want to clear out the Palestinian people and want a peaceful solution which includes a state for the Palestinians. They get mopped up by the “Not One Inch” right wing decade in, decade out and haven’t had a viable plan for peace in some time, but a reform movement within Israel to give some land back for a contiguous, defensible Palestinian state is essential to ending this conflict. This would only ever happen if the US started massively scaling back their support. Israel is very likely not going anywhere, so escalation of this conflict will only accelerate the genocide of the Palestinians.

Even if this were true, I'll remind you what Zionism is: It's the desire for a Jewish ethnostate, on Palestinian land. The idea is inherently colonial, and ethnostates are inherently bad, for reasons I think should be obvious.

I'll add that threatening that escalating the conflict will only hurt the Palestinians more is gross.

nightsister posted:

Even if destroying Israel was not a fantasy, the fall of the Jewish state in conflict would be a genocide as well—either an expulsion or an extermination. People sometimes imagine a UN-managed one-state solution fantasy that people hold onto as a way out of accepting the consequences of the destruction of Israel. This is more fantastic than the two-state solution. The most likely outcome is a third of the Jewish people scattered to the winds and mercies of the Arab world. The cruelest lie in the revised Hamas charter is that there was no history of antisemitism outside of Europe—ask a Mizrahi or Yemenite Jew where they are still allowed to live. Things are not much better for the Ethiopian Jews in Northern Africa. Whatever horrific racism they faced from Ashkenazi Jews in Israel, they have been rather vocal about how much they appreciate the security provided by the Jewish state.

This argument has been made by every supremacist government ever. "If we don't continue oppressing them, they'll do to us as we did to them. Our crimes are really a form of self-defense". To see that this idea is wrong, I will point to South Africa. There was no mass expulsion or mass murder of whites at the end of Apartheid. Some whites may have moved away because they wanted to live in an Apartheid state, and there may have been some incidental violence over the years, but that's hardly "We will be scattered to the winds", is it?

The actions of Israel foster antisemitism among idiots who can't distinguish between Judaism and Zionism. Israel itself seeks to conflate the two concepts, because it serves the Zionist cause if they can point to antisemitism outside Israel. The "You will only be safe here, with your people" narrative doesn't work so well if Jewish people live safely elsewhere.

nightsister posted:

The Zionists were simply correct that world Jewry would not be safe without their own state—unless you want to say the acceleration of pogroms in the late 19th century into Shoah were somehow inspired by Zionism (seen it before!), one has to admit that this was an insightful prediction. Even the traditionally tolerant Muslim world began to lose its contemptuous tolerance of the People of the Book and became more directly oppressive. It is easy for Jews living in the United States or people who observe the seeming successful integration into American whiteness and assume that Jews are essentially European, and so Zionism is simply the British colonialism on backwards indigenous “savages” the first wave of Jewish settlers believed it was. It is perhaps part of why activists from other settler-colonial countries—the US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia—become so convinced the colonization of Palestine has a one-to-one correspondence with that of their home countries.

The Zionists were incorrect, as evidenced by the Jewish people in the diaspora, and the many places in the world where Jewish people live alongside everyone else without being constantly murdered. I will also remind you that Jewish people are hardly safe in Israel, as they live in a highly militarized ethnostate that doesn't tolerate dissent, surrounded by people who hate their country for entirely valid reasons, and being regularly attacked by the concentration camp their country runs. If the value proposition of Israel is "You will be safe here", it is entirely failing to deliver.

Zionism is explicitly a remnant of British colonialism, with many of the same motives and many of the same goals, and funnily enough many of the same outcomes. I hope it will also have the same ending.

nightsister posted:

You may think the Israeli Jews deserve to be expelled or worse because they colonized Palestinian land, but the Jewish story has been five thousand years in the making and Arab nations (while more tolerant overall than Christians) oppressed Jews for over a thousand years. It is of course true that the Romans expelled the Jews, not the Arabs, and that the land changed hands well the expulsion. But as many people defending Hamas now will invoke, people will do hosed up things to get their land back, for their people to survive. Very few contemporary leftists are willing to extend this charity to the Zionists and rig their anti-imperialism to avoid the ethical quandary of a diaspora people struggling to reclaim the only territory that could be considered theirs from shattered empires. The Holy Qu’ran even contains an acknowledgment of the Jewish land-claim.

One of the many reasons ethnostates are bad is because it provokes this kind of supremacist thinking. Your people are not special. You are not the main character. Jewish people do not have some exceptionally long history and tie to the land that could not also be argued for many of the other groups with ties to the Levant. Palestinians weren't created in a lab 100 years ago and set loose on the region, they (like everyone) have thousands of years of history behind them.

Besides, there is no reason anyone should accept "Well, my ancestors lived here thousands of years ago (citation needed) and so we should ignore all those intervening years of history. I should own the land" as an argument in favor of the colonial Zionist entity.

nightsister posted:

By putting forward the elimination of Israel as the only way to avoid genocide, you ignore the genocide which would be the consequence, and the genocide it was erected to prevent. Perhaps these are theoretical now, but they were all too real when Israel was founded. The desperate years of the 1920–45 has both the British Mandate rub the Zionists’ face in how powerless they were against them, and the Palestinian nationalist movement starting codify and militate pogroms against local Jewry. Despite the beginning of Zionist terrorism against British and eventual Arab military and civilian targets, this dynamic does not fundamentally change until the British arm the Zionists after the Shoah. Jews indeed attacked or frightened Palestinians out of their homes after the British withdrawal, but they were some of the most desperate people to ever walk the earth in their darkest hour and saw little alternative. It would of course have been better if Israel did not try to take all of the land, but the sourness left by decades of anti-Jewish pogroms and Zionist terrorist attacks created the War of Independence / Nakba we know today, not to mention the blistering shock of the near-total liquidation of Ashkenazi Jewry to which we are so numb.

This is disgusting. Your argument is that the crimes of Zionist terrorists should be forgiven, because they were desperate, and the Holocaust was bad.

Would you like to apply the same reasoning to Adolf Hitler, whose people had also been decimated and humiliated during the First World War, and who also saw his efforts as a desperate effort to return Germany to its past glory, and its rightful place in the world? My point is that every monster will justify to themselves why their crimes are special and can be excused, which is what you are doing here.

I feel it is also worth pointing out that the Zionists driving Palestinians out of their homes in those early years very often were not the same Jews who had been subjected to the Holocaust. We've discussed before in this thread how the early Israelis did not treat Holocaust victims particularly well, and how for a long time, the truth of the Holocaust was basically not popularly known in Israel. The idea that the Holocaust justified Israel is a later invention, it didn't become popular until some time in the sixties.

nightsister posted:

It may seem that support for Israel must be support for the genocide because of the initial ethnic cleansing. Yet I think it is quite easy to believe that Israel was a necessity even if it was achieved by immoral means, while not supporting these latest rounds of bombing: one was genuinely a justified requirement for the survival of the Israelis locally but also for world Jewry in general, while the other is not. While it is not hard to see why Israelis in the wake of 10/7 would support eliminating all of Hamas, if the IDF would do its job guarding the border from terror attacks instead of shoring up West Bank settler sociopaths (which it was doing while Hamas attacked Nova Festival), Jews in general and the Israeli people would survive if they pursued a different policy option than genocidal war. It is not necessary for survival.

This is just a repetition of the idea that Jewish people can't live safely anywhere but Israel, and it is simply, obviously and provably wrong, as I and others have already argued.

If your argument is that Israel could survive as a non-expansionist multicultural state that gave up the ethnostate ambition, attempted to create a functional independent Palestine and worked to create a viable future for both them and their Palestinian neighbors, then I agree, they probably could. That is what the Palestinians have attempted to negotiate towards for decades now. Israel, the political entity that exists, does not want that and has never wanted that. It does not want that, because it is an ethnostate. It inherently wants to drive out the Palestinians, and to ensure any remaining Arabs living in Israel are not granted equal rights, because the Zionist project is about creating a Jewish supremacist society. That doesn't work if you grant other ethnoreligious groups equal rights.

A state with equal rights, no plans to invade their neighbors and acceptance of multiculturalism would definitely be able to survive. It just wouldn't be Israel, because those ideas are entirely incompatible with what the Zionist project is.

nightsister posted:

Perhaps it is an abstract position, but one that must win out over the explusionist and eliminationist Zionist right and their mirrors on the anti-Zionist left (and right) if there is ever to be something resembling peace. While it may seem seductive to adopt an extremist position to maximally do justice to the horrifying depopulation of Gaza, the current cycle of bloodshed is completely impossible without the useful idiots who advocate oopsy-daisy genocide against a third of the Jews. There is a reason Netanyahu was so keen to fund Hamas to undermine the more liberal opposition, and although 10/7 caught him with his pants down, it has allowed Bibi to pursue his dream of clearing Gaza.

Since the useful idiots you're talking about have no political power to actually stop the genocide, this part is also wrong and simply making excuses to defend the genocide.

Even the big boogieman Hamas are not arguing that all citizens of Israel should be killed. The dismantling of Israel as a political entity does not necessarily involve the murder or ethnic cleansing of all Jewish people from the region, and it is dishonest to conflate the two ideas.

I think your post should be held up as the gold standard of calm Hitlering. It is well written, it uses an appealing tone, it is verbose without being too tedious to read. It is also largly incorrect, espouses monstrous ideas, argues in favor of the necessity of ethnostates and makes excuses for genocide and war crimes.

Well done.

(I am not accusing you of bad faith or intentional Hasbara here, I think you may well believe these things.)

Esran fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 13, 2024

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

nightsister posted:

Thanks to everyone who got through my post without accusing me of being a bad faith actor, Hasbara agent, or Jewish supremacist war crime apologist. And please note that I was not accusing anybody of being knowingly genocidal, but that I was following through what I believe to be the inevitable case if Israel was destroyed *in conflict* as many who advocate a realistic solution (unlike my pious dreams) will be forced to articulate—unless they believe the international community will step in to dismember Israel, which makes your globalist suprastate management solution about as fantastic as mine.

Africa ended apartheid and it didn't the global superpowers to step in and manage a new state.
It also didn't end with the genocide of the White oppressors. The worst just hosed off which is what I imagine will happen to the Israelis who cannot stand living alongside Palestinians with equal rights.

quote:

I know it is suspicious to pop in this thread for my first post here, but I assure you I am sincere. I cannot answer all the objections directly, since this post has been very popular here.

Sure :hmmno:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

On the one hand I don't think we should discouraged an effort post, even if it's stuff I don't agree with...

theCalamity posted:

“I am become Koos, Calmer of Hitlers”

On the other hand, this was funny. So I'm torn.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't think this article has been posted here, but I think it's a nice antidote.

quote:

In 1982, shortly before Reagan bluntly ordered Begin to cease his ‘holocaust’ in Lebanon, a young US senator who revered Elie Wiesel as his great teacher met the Israeli prime minister. In Begin’s own stunned account of the meeting, the senator commended the Israeli war effort and boasted that he would have gone further, even if it meant killing women and children. Begin himself was taken aback by the words of the future US president, Joe Biden. ‘No, sir,’ he insisted. ‘According to our values, it is forbidden to hurt women and children, even in war ... This is a yardstick of human civilisation, not to hurt civilians.’

[...]

But the world, or more specifically the West, doesn’t do anything. Worse, the liquidation of Gaza, though outlined and broadcast by its perpetrators, is daily obfuscated, if not denied, by the instruments of the West’s military and cultural hegemony: from the US president claiming that Palestinians are liars and European politicians intoning that Israel has a right to defend itself to the prestigious news outlets deploying the passive voice while relating the massacres carried out in Gaza. We find ourselves in an unprecedented situation. Never before have so many witnessed an industrial-scale slaughter in real time. Yet the prevailing callousness, timidity and censorship disallows, even mocks, our shock and grief. Many of us who have seen some of the images and videos coming out of Gaza – those visions from hell of corpses twisted together and buried in mass graves, the smaller corpses held by grieving parents, or laid on the ground in neat rows – have been quietly going mad over the last few months. Every day is poisoned by the awareness that while we go about our lives hundreds of ordinary people like ourselves are being murdered, or being forced to witness the murder of their children.

[...]

The answers for many people around the world cannot but be tainted by a long-simmering racial bitterness. Palestine, George Orwell pointed out in 1945, is a ‘colour issue’, and this is the way it was inevitably seen by Gandhi, who pleaded with Zionist leaders not to resort to terrorism against Arabs using Western arms, and the postcolonial nations, which almost all refused to recognise the state of Israel. What W.E.B. Du Bois called the central problem of international politics – the ‘colour line’ – motivated Nelson Mandela when he said that South Africa’s freedom from apartheid is ‘incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians’. James Baldwin sought to profane what he termed a ‘pious silence’ around Israel’s behaviour when he claimed that the Jewish state, which sold arms to the apartheid regime in South Africa, embodied white supremacy not democracy. Muhammad Ali saw Palestine as an instance of gross racial injustice. So, today, do the leaders of the United States’s oldest and most prominent Black Christian denominations, who have accused Israel of genocide and asked Biden to end all financial as well as military aid to the country.

[...]

One of the great dangers today is the hardening of the colour line into a new Maginot Line. For most people outside the West, whose primordial experience of European civilisation was to be brutally colonised by its representatives, the Shoah did not appear as an unprecedented atrocity. Recovering from the ravages of imperialism in their own countries, most non-Western people were in no position to appreciate the magnitude of the horror the radical twin of that imperialism inflicted on Jews in Europe. So when Israel’s leaders compare Hamas to Nazis, and Israeli diplomats wear yellow stars at the UN, their audience is almost exclusively Western. Most of the world doesn’t carry the burden of Christian European guilt over the Shoah, and does not regard the creation of Israel as a moral necessity to absolve the sins of 20th-century Europeans. For more than seven decades now, the argument among the ‘darker peoples’ has remained the same: why should Palestinians be dispossessed and punished for crimes in which only Europeans were complicit? And they can only recoil with disgust from the implicit claim that Israel has the right to slaughter 13,000 children not only as a matter of self-defence but because it is a state born out of the Shoah.

[...]

increasingly, it seems that only those jolted into consciousness by the calamity of Gaza can rescue the Shoah from Netanyahu, Biden, Scholz and Sunak and re-universalise its moral significance; only they can be trusted to restore what Améry called the equilibrium of world morality. Many of the protesters who fill the streets of their cities week after week have no immediate relation to the European past of the Shoah. They judge Israel by its actions in Gaza rather than its Shoah-sanctified demand for total and permanent security. Whether or not they know about the Shoah, they reject the crude social-Darwinist lesson Israel draws from it – the survival of one group of people at the expense of another. They are motivated by the simple wish to uphold the ideals that seemed so universally desirable after 1945: respect for freedom, tolerance for the otherness of beliefs and ways of life; solidarity with human suffering; and a sense of moral responsibility for the weak and persecuted. These men and women know that if there is any bumper sticker lesson to be drawn from the Shoah, it is ‘Never Again for Anyone’: the slogan of the brave young activists of Jewish Voice for Peace.

It is possible that they will lose. Perhaps Israel, with its survivalist psychosis, is not the ‘bitter relic’ George Steiner called it – rather, it is the portent of the future of a bankrupt and exhausted world.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There’s so much nuggets of what is just boring nonsense in there wrapped in an all time gish gallop of flowery language and meaningless “nuance” including:

“Jews of not safe outside of Israel”

“Arabs would genocide us if they got the chance”

“Well, some of the guys who did the Nakba survived pogroms, therefore…”

“Okay NOT COUNTING GAZA AND THE WEST BANK Israel is a multi-ethnic democratic paradise”

“Anti-Zionism is anti-semitism”

“The US is a settler colonial state too therefore blah blah!”

“I’m a leftist actually”

Regurgitating the Hamas rape and baby beheading rape stories.

Vague allusions to how obviously the pro-Palestine is full of antisemitism and Hamas supporters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Bananana posted:

On the one hand I don't think we should discouraged an effort post, even if it's stuff I don't agree with...

On the other hand, this was funny. So I'm torn.

Good news, Esran gave the needed response two posts above you!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Re: South Africa it's interesting that a bunch of South African whites decided to convert and move to Israel. Weird.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Re: South Africa it's interesting that a bunch of South African whites decided to convert and move to Israel. Weird.

That's why the Zionist Israel project has to survive. Apartheid lovers have nowhere left to run to where they can still enjoy being the supremacist group.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Esran posted:

Even the big boogieman Hamas are not arguing that all citizens of Israel should be killed. The dismantling of Israel as a political entity does not necessarily involve the murder or ethnic cleansing of all Jewish people from the region, and it is dishonest to conflate the two ideas.

The use of "all" here is really strange. I think it's obvious that dismantling of Israel as a political entity doesn't require the ethnic cleansing of any Jews - unless you're so cynical that you describe sending war criminals to the Hague that way!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Quantum Cat posted:

And there it is, the beating heart of a Zionism laid bare. Look what you made me do they sob as they proudly don their armband, "It's our turn now."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The use of "all" here is really strange. I think it's obvious that dismantling of Israel as a political entity doesn't require the ethnic cleansing of any Jews - unless you're so cynical that you describe sending war criminals to the Hague that way!

I agree that "any" is more accurate.

However, I was specifically responding to the idea that the end of Israel would automatically mean the killing or "spreading to the winds" of all Jewish people in Israel.

Not even Hamas are saying that.

Esran fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 13, 2024

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

nightsister posted:

I have feared this genocide would come to pass for most of my life, and there was no other way for me to interpret the Hamas attacks: this is how it begins. To my shame in retrospect, I felt nothing for the Israelis no matter how gruesome the reported crimes. When I turned to many of my “comrades” to talk about the looming catastrophe about to befall Gaza, I was completely devastated to find many of them cheering on Hamas and specifically NOT because of its impact on Jewish life. It occurred to me then that they were either completely delusional about the possibility of the Ummah teaming up to destroy Israel, or they simply don’t mind that thousands of Palestinians were about to die as long as Israelis “get what’s coming to them”. Heighten the contradictions, and it will all come out in the wash.

This broke me. I had always advocated for the Palestinian cause and assumed good faith on anti-Zionists, and I had known many other anti-Zionist Jews growing up. But now I saw something else. I was happy to hear the world but especially Americans hearing the voices of Gaza, but I was very much not prepared for the genuine antisemitism which accompanied it. Virtually any leftist I talk to about this will either claim the new wave of antisemitism does not exist, is robustly justified by the actions of the Israelis, or sometimes both. I have nowhere to elaborate my thoughts without facing extreme social sanction either because I am a pro-genocide Jewish supremacist or because I’m a Hamas-loving self-hating Jew.

Simply, I am here because of this thread. I have been watching it over one of my partners’ shoulder with some envy—as I saw my former comrades descend into Hamas rape denial and arrive at antisemitic talking points which more explicitly acknowledge the likely fate of the Jews if Israel were destroyed in conflict, it struck me that this thread is a reasonable back and forth considering the stakes of this conflict. I would add that most of the Zionist posts even here seem rather low effort, and are insufficiently spiritually engaged with the suffering in Gaza, as they are on most of the internet. Until recently, I was much more comfortable being around anti-Zionists than Zionists, and I still hate the heartlessness of most Zionists I encounter so that I do not want to be part of those spaces—those people have ALWAYS made me wonder if we really would have been better off perishing in the gas chambers than becoming what we are now.

I cannot help but push back on these thoughts with Jewish pride rather than succumbing to an ideology that would see a third of my people endangered, or would have preferred they were left defenseless after the Shoah. Both Zionism and anti-Zionism are loaded with self-hatred, but as with any nationalist project, there is something to be said for believing your people deserve to survive. I do not think the Zionists did everything right, and I think many of their actions were quite evil. But I know of no state which came together without evil, and the world is not filled with sincere anarchists. I respect the hearts of anti-Zionist Jews but I question their understanding of the situation of world Jewry.

I am seeing people here characterize my position as Zionist, and I think this is fair. I would note in response that most self-proclaimed Zionists I know would call me a Hamas apologist because I think Israel is a colonial project, regardless of what my other beliefs are, or take me caring about Palestinian life at all as something of a betrayal of the war effort. My position is characteristic of a tendency called Post-Zionism: one that considers the work of establishing the Jewish state to be essentially over, with our task now to live in peace with neighbors who we wronged. I try not to shy away from the reasonable critiques of Zionism because I did not lose my empathy for the Palestinians and their struggle for a homeland. Those pointed out my argument can be used for the Palestinians as well as the Israelis, you are right—the point of my post is that there are two sides to this history in a way which cannot be said for any of these other settler-colonial projects. “You can’t both sides a genocide” is a meaningless response when you accuse anyone who supports Jews establishing a homeland in the mid-1940s of supporting the current genocide in the 2020s, when the timing and vicious character of the establishment of the Jewish state in 1948 is a direct response to Jewish genocide in 1945.

While the idea that Israeli fortress mentality is a direct respinse to holocaust may have merit, I think people will lose the sight of the issue when they try to justify or even understand Israel's policy today through it. Does it really help us understand today's situation to bring up gas chamber's or even some esoteric nonsense from 5000 years ago? Or does it just muddle the issue with in the end irrelevant things?

Because Israel isn't in any kind of danger of being destroyed. And no one thinks that jewish civilians are being safeguarded by creating settlements in West Bank and putting those civilians in a position of being surrounded by Palestinians.

Israel is a nuclear state with a powerful military and the backing of a superpower and increasingly peaceful relations with arab states. Israel isn't under existential threat.

To understand conflict today, all we need to look at is Israel's active sabotage of two state solution past decades. Israel's existence is secured. Palestinian authority was ready to acknowledge the Israel's right to exists. Arab states were willing to accept this. But Israel wasn't interested in peace. Instead it actively sabotaged, and sabotages, the two state solution. We really don't need to look further back to understand the motivations behind the destruction of Gaza today.

To try to claim that Israel's actions today are informed in anyway by the fear of another Holocaust just lurking around the corner is very strange. Because you don't safeguard jewish lives by making them live amongst your perceived enemies, annexing their lands and sabotaging the most realistic and internationally recognized way to peace with Palestinians. Israeli state isn't expanding settlements to safeguard jewish race and way of living, and the settlers aren't moving there to be in safety.

It's all about creating greater Israel and destroying the idea of Palestine and neutering Palestinian people. The security of jewish people clearly isn't the issue here, because if it were, Israeli establishment wouldn't have actively destroyed the two state solution and the most realistic chance for peace and thus actual security.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The majority of Jews don’t live in Israel and while no doubt antisemitism is alive and well they are under no existential threat in, say, the United States, the country with the highest Jewish population. The idea that ethnic survival demands a matching ethnostate is surface level fascism.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

post on your main

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

fool of sound posted:

The majority of Jews don’t live in Israel and while no doubt antisemitism is alive and well they are under no existential threat in, say, the United States, the country with the highest Jewish population. The idea that ethnic survival demands a matching ethnostate is surface level fascism.

There were a bunch of Trump supporters marching doing "Blood and Soil" chants in Charlottesville so I get a Jewish person being wary, but Israel exiting has no relevance to that and in fact exists to give more fuel to those types.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

It's funny how Zionists conducting bombings and a campaign of terrorism targeting Arab Jews to drive them to Israel doesn't evoke the specter of the Holocaust for our poor bereved genocidaire. Nor say does Israel's direct involvement in the killings of hundreds of leftist Jews across central and South America during the US' dirty wars.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

nightsister posted:

Thanks to everyone who got through my post without accusing me of being a bad faith actor, Hasbara agent, or Jewish supremacist war crime apologist.

As someone who called you a war crime apologist, the problem with your complaint is that you are *literally* a war crime apologist. While you admit that Israel was founded on ethnic cleansing you explain this was a necessity and justified to assure the survival of Jewery.

Calling you a war crime apologist is not an ad hominem attack, it is simply an accurate representation of the positions you hold.

quote:

And please note that I was not accusing anybody of being knowingly genocidal, but that I was following through what I believe to be the inevitable case if Israel was destroyed *in conflict* as many who advocate a realistic solution (unlike my pious dreams) will be forced to articulate—unless they believe the international community will step in to dismember Israel, which makes your globalist suprastate management solution about as fantastic as mine. I know it is suspicious to pop in this thread for my first post here, but I assure you I am sincere.

You do however accuse people of unknowingly advocating for the genocide of Israelis based on the claim they were looking to eliminate Israel when the person you were replying to never mentioned it there or in the post history and it wasn’t mentioned in the thread of the conversation of other posters you were responding to either.

You state “By putting forward the elimination of Israel as the only way to avoid genocide, you ignore the genocide which would be the consequence, and the genocide it was erected to prevent” but the people you are responding to never talk about eliminating Israel at all! You’re being disingenuous!

quote:

I have feared this genocide would come to pass for most of my life, and there was no other way for me to interpret the Hamas attacks: this is how it begins.

This is kind of weird because this half makes sense but only if you were talking about the genocide of Palestinians, while from context you’re talking about the genocide of Israelis. The thing is, there is no genocide of Israelis beginning. Israel got caught off guard, but that is literally the only window where Hamas poses a threat. There is no ongoing danger of a Hamas genocide of Israel.

Your post is largely just a defence of something no-one in their right mind would care about because it isn’t happening.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

socialsecurity posted:

There were a bunch of Trump supporters marching doing "Blood and Soil" chants in Charlottesville so I get a Jewish person being wary, but Israel exiting has no relevance to that and in fact exists to give more fuel to those types.

And yet the Zionists love him. He gave them Jerusalem and helped with normalization.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

nightsister posted:

Thanks to everyone who got through my post without accusing me of being a bad faith actor, Hasbara agent, or Jewish supremacist war crime apologist.

You probably mean "everyone who didn't respond to [your] post in a way that violated the stupid rules of this site that you clearly baited people on, as a fascist does."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Marenghi posted:

And yet the Zionists love him. He gave them Jerusalem and helped with normalization.

Well yeah Zionists and fascist anti-semites have same aligning goals for a while now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Well yeah Zionists and fascist anti-semites have same aligning goals for a while now.

Literally always have. A major selling point of the original Zionist project was “…and you can ship all your Jews off to Israel!”

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

fool of sound posted:

Literally always have. A major selling point of the original Zionist project was “…and you can ship all your Jews off to Israel!”

Just the Madagascar plan with the serial number filled off.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

fool of sound posted:

Or "we hate non-Zionist Jews, you hate all Jews, we have something in common!"

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
They were so in alignment that the leader of Lehi attempted to ally with the Nazis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avraham_Stern

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Zionism grows from the same putrid imperial soil as conservative German nationalism, so it makes sense.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Esran posted:

They were so in alignment that the leader of Lehi attempted to ally with the Nazis.

This is the kind of thing that's so insane that you will never convince anyone who's pro-Israel of it even though it's completely 100% true.

Just bringing it up gets shouted down as anti-semitism.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Off topic but on topic: I’ve heard that Israel plans on moving over a million displaced Palestinians to humanitarian islands before bombing Rafah to poo poo?

So far this is what I’ve found.

Humanitarian islands is a bizarre phrase to contemplate.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Esran posted:

I grew up in a town literally named after this man. Never had a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

teen witch posted:

Off topic but on topic: I’ve heard that Israel plans on moving over a million displaced Palestinians to humanitarian islands before bombing Rafah to poo poo?

So far this is what I’ve found.

Humanitarian islands is a bizarre phrase to contemplate.

It sounds weird because they're trying to avoid saying concentration camps.