Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

marshmonkey posted:

What if the state of Israel owned TikTok, would everyone still be defending it?

That's not fair Israel is an authoritarian regime that is known for using apps like this to gather information on it's enemies and has engaged in genocide of muslim populations, oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

Fair enough, retracted. But here are some other testimonials about how Tiktok was really not helping their own cause: https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/03/07/congress/tiktok-users-revolt-00145633

i think the issue I have with that is because it reminds me of Epic games trying to get their kid fanbase involeved with legal fight with apple. like i think all social media is cancer and the hammer/scapal should be taken to all of it, but its gross that some corp is trying to scare some kids into doing their dirty work for them. Like on one hand, i dont disagree that more people should call out elected offcials more and thats good, but like having some corp bullshit to kids and then do it is gross.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Representative Thomas Massie, says the law is very broad and might be used against websites any President wishes to ban, not just TikTok like apps.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1767540941378744586

Hope he's very wrong.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 13, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

haveblue posted:

Fair enough, retracted. But here are some other testimonials about how Tiktok was really not helping their own cause: https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/03/07/congress/tiktok-users-revolt-00145633

I will admit, "Humans calling their representatives is a security threat / an indicator of a security threat" is ringing hollow if not downright the opposite of a security threat.

I am reminded of every time I have been to a conference in person or online and watched the CEO of Tech Company Here ask the attendees to please contact their representatives about Please Don't Regulate Us As A Telco / We're Just Infrastructure, We Can't Moderate Nazis Using Cloudflare etc. At the risk of this sounding like whataboutism, are we going after those guys too?

Every time Facebook and Twitter has made an official statement ending with a call to action asking users to consider voting along a certain issue or contacting their representatives: are we black bagging those guys or sanctioning their operations?

Nonsense posted:

Representative Thomas Massie, says the law is very broad and might be used against websites any President wishes to ban, not just TikTok like apps.

If that's true, why are we handing President "I Will Be A Dictator For Just One Day" the tool on a silver platter tbqh.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 13, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Does anyone know why Tlaib did not vote on the bill?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mawarannahr posted:

no idea. i am sure she will send a message about it later.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

I will admit, "Humans calling their representatives is a security threat / an indicator of a security threat" is ringing hollow if not downright the opposite of a security threat.

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1767944208386515356

What about when they make a security threat

Dapper_Swindler posted:

no idea. i am sure she will send a message about it later.

She voted no.

https://twitter.com/Ilhan/status/1767952606654013776

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mawarannahr posted:

did she actually abstain?

gut reaction here: she is in a particularly tight space on either a yes or a no being wildly and maliciously misinterpreted by either perspective on the issue

in this specific case where there are literally hundreds of votes between the overwhelming passage and hall pass territory, abstaining is probably not a bad survival instinct

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Listen. Guys.

If your position is that TikTok is stupid because of the dancing and the dumb memes and you hate that people are on it all the time, you're being ignorant and old.

If your position is that all social media is bad, I can't argue with that. Not really. Because you're correct, it's all exploitative and they sell data and certainly nobody involved in it is running a charity. I essentially agree with that. But it is no worse than facebook and in many ways it is much better.

People who do not use TikTok tend to see a few things first; dance videos, thirst traps, stupid jokes and young people being painfully earnest. It rapidly funnels you into a particular part of TikTok based on your viewership and this is kind of where the crux is. TikTok is a haven for LGBTQ+ communities, for feminists, for fat and disabled people. It's got a lot of eye-roll content about mental health, yes, but it also lets people with serious trauma or conditions feel substantially less alone. Is this because TikTok is unique and no other platform can replace it? Well, we don't actually know that. Because the issue is not, 'Will another media platform be as popular?' because the answer is obviously yes. The issue is, how will these communities be treated on the new platform?

The software is not unique; the community is. There has never been a place with so many minority voices in one place before. Is it all good content? God no. Is it thanks to TikTok's incredible leftist policies? Again, obviously not. It is essentially a coincidence, an example of people using a platform for their own ends. And given time, TikTok would gently caress it up themselves, or the app would lose popularity as people moved on to other communities. However, the US government banning a platform like this is not the same as Myspace losing popularity and if that's how you see it you have completely got up your own rear end.

I am begging you all: if you are shaking your fist at TikTok and saying good riddance you are not properly in touch with what is happening and please try to get your head around it. If your position is that all social media sucks, then no problem, I agree, but it should probably start with the platform that all the boomers use to share misinformation.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Nonsense posted:

Hope he's very wrong.

I skimmed the relevant sections and this appears to be true but I am not legally trained.

Hence:

koolkal posted:

On a tangential note, this bill also gives the President the ability to ban essentially any application controlled by a Chinese company.

You will get my vote if you ban League of Legends, Joe.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
" “If you ban TikTok, I will kill myself,” said one caller, according to audio obtained from a House GOP office. The caller had noted seeing TikTok’s pop-up that claimed members are trying to shut down the app."

I'm not saying this didn't happen, but if it's from someone in the House GOP, I wouldn't put money on it actually having happened either. I could also totally see them having one of their own people make a fake call.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mendrian posted:

People who do not use TikTok tend to see a few things first; dance videos, thirst traps, stupid jokes and young people being painfully earnest. It rapidly funnels you into a particular part of TikTok based on your viewership and this is kind of where the crux is. TikTok is a haven for LGBTQ+ communities, for feminists, for fat and disabled people. It's got a lot of eye-roll content about mental health, yes, but it also lets people with serious trauma or conditions feel substantially less alone. Is this because TikTok is unique and no other platform can replace it? Well, we don't actually know that. Because the issue is not, 'Will another media platform be as popular?' because the answer is obviously yes. The issue is, how will these communities be treated on the new platform?

Well, so I can speculate about some of the secret sauce that I've been saying I will not speculate about : disadvantaged and persecuted visible and invisible minorities bullied the everliving poo poo out of right-wing agitators for a long time on the platform and continue to do so to a pretty good place. There's no breaking the Horny Racist Christian Mom bubble that's been locking horns on the platform, but that's beside the point.

I fear that this is motivated specifically out of a desire to cudgel the pro-rights, pro-labor, humanist ecosystem on the platform that has thrived so successfully where it has been beaten out of existence on others by heavy hands on the scale. Quietly-conservative figures like Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg stifled the opportunity for this to evolve on other platforms by--in their own leaked communications and in congressional testimony--finding ways to favor right wing extremism in the same space.

It would be great if this issue could somehow evolve into solving the actual security threat here: a complete lack of consumer/digital privacy protections in the United States. That won't happen, nor could it be bid for now that the chips are gone.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

" “If you ban TikTok, I will kill myself,” said one caller, according to audio obtained from a House GOP office. The caller had noted seeing TikTok’s pop-up that claimed members are trying to shut down the app."

I'm not saying this didn't happen, but if it's from someone in the House GOP, I wouldn't put money on it actually having happened either. I could also totally see them having one of their own people make a fake call.

Politico caters to older readers. I’m sure the calls happened but that article struck me as a very politico article.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Well, so I can speculate about some of the secret sauce that I've been saying I will not speculate about : disadvantaged and persecuted visible and invisible minorities bullied the everliving poo poo out of right-wing agitators for a long time on the platform and continue to do so to a pretty good place. There's no breaking the Horny Racist Christian Mom bubble that's been locking horns on the platform, but that's beside the point.

I fear that this is motivated specifically out of a desire to cudgel the pro-rights, pro-labor, humanist ecosystem on the platform that has thrived so successfully where it has been beaten out of existence on others by heavy hands on the scale. Quietly-conservative figures like Jack Dorsey and Mark Zuckerberg stifled the opportunity for this to evolve on other platforms by--in their own leaked communications and in congressional testimony--finding ways to favor right wing extremism in the same space.

It would be great if this issue could somehow evolve into solving the actual security threat here: a complete lack of consumer/digital privacy protections in the United States. That won't happen, nor could it be bid for now that the chips are gone.

Well precisely. That's the thing that's very telling about the 'tiktok ban'; it seems, from our perspective, unmoored from any reality. "It's Chinese, therefore bad" is dumb on its face yet somehow its garnered bipartisan support. If it were really about digital privacy or international media influence you'd think a more finely crafted law witch targeted the real issue, instead of laser focusing this one specific app. This is personal to these people, there's no other explanation.

I have to wonder how much of it is because nobody in congress uses TikTok and therefore all of their information comes from briefs.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 13, 2024

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Mendrian posted:

Listen. Guys.

If your position is that TikTok is stupid because of the dancing and the dumb memes and you hate that people are on it all the time, you're being ignorant and old.

If your position is that all social media is bad, I can't argue with that. Not really. Because you're correct, it's all exploitative and they sell data and certainly nobody involved in it is running a charity. I essentially agree with that. But it is no worse than facebook and in many ways it is much better.

The software is not unique; the community is. There has never been a place with so many minority voices in one place before. Is it all good content? God no. Is it thanks to TikTok's incredible leftist policies? Again, obviously not. It is essentially a coincidence, an example of people using a platform for their own ends. And given time, TikTok would gently caress it up themselves, or the app would lose popularity as people moved on to other communities. However, the US government banning a platform like this is not the same as Myspace losing popularity and if that's how you see it you have completely got up your own rear end.

I am begging you all: if you are shaking your fist at TikTok and saying good riddance you are not properly in touch with what is happening and please try to get your head around it. If your position is that all social media sucks, then no problem, I agree, but it should probably start with the platform that all the boomers use to share misinformation.

The Fox News comments section? :v:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mendrian posted:

Well precisely. That's the thing that's very telling about the 'tiktok ban'; it seems, from our perspective, unmoored from any reality. "It's Chinese, therefore bad" is dumb on its face yet somehow its garnered bipartisan support. If it were really about digital privacy or international media influence you'd think a more finely crafted law with target the real issue, instead of laser focusing this one specific app. This is personal to these people, there's no other explanation.

I have to wonder how much of it is because nobody in congress uses TikTok and therefore all of their information comes from briefs.

Honestly, if more of them used it, this ban would have come sooner. It would be preeeeeetty upsetting to be directly responsible for US domestic and foreign policy legislation and realize just how deeply struggling Americans resent them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Can the government compel the airlines to continue using Boeing 737 MAX death traps? United has thankfully shifted to Airbus.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

But twitter was always chud?

Twitter was always an extremely diverse site with an enormous range of users from a wide variety of countries and holding a wide variety of political views.

Until Musk bought the site publicly proclaiming that he'd make it more conservative-friendly fair and balanced, then laid off most of the mods, unbanned a bunch of neo-Nazis and transphobes that had managed to get themselves banned under the pre-Musk rules, and changed the rules to make them far more friendly to transphobia. That caused a significant exodus of left-leaning folks (though nowhere near all of them) while attracting many more racists and transphobes to the site.

It doesn't make a ton of sense to ascribe a broad ideological position to the entirety of a social media site with hundreds of millions of users and algorithmic group-sorting which allows people with contradicting positions the option to avoid ever running into each other. Even under Musk, there's still tons of people posting "FREE PALESTINE" on Twitter. Twitter's management is chuddy, but even despite Musk openly putting his thumb on the scale, it's pretty easy to use Twitter normally and still see way more leftist posts than chuddy stuff.

Nonsense posted:

Hope he's very wrong.

Skimming his tweets and retweets, I see that Thomas Massie is a diehard MAGA who thinks that this bill will secretly put all US social media sites under the control of the FBI so that Biden can use it to force a woke purge on the internet by shutting down conservative social media and forcing other social media outlets to ban conservatives.

He also thinks the Biden administration is running an open borders policy on purpose as part of a dastardly plot to pack the government by increasing the population of blue states with tens of millions of illegal immigrants, increasing those states' number of House seats and electoral votes.

He also thinks that the US created COVID as part of their efforts to "play god" by researching new vaccines (which, for context, he thinks are a bad thing), and that the CDC was bribed into requiring dangerous COVID vaccines that are killing Americans.

He's also introduced bills based on poo poo he saw on LibsOfTiktok.

Thomas Massie is usually very wrong.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nonsense posted:

Can the government compel the airlines to continue using Boeing 737 MAX death traps? United has thankfully shifted to Airbus.

If national security is at stake, and China is involved, maybe they will consider it. It just so happens that...
Airbus Agrees to Pay over $3.9 Billion in Global Penalties to Resolve Foreign Bribery and ITAR Case

www.justice.gov - Fri, 31 Jan 2020 posted:

Airbus SE (Airbus or the Company), a global provider of civilian and military aircraft based in France, has agreed to pay combined penalties of more than $3.9 billion to resolve foreign bribery charges with authorities in the United States, France and the United Kingdom arising out of the Company’s scheme to use third-party business partners to bribe government officials, as well as non-governmental airline executives, around the world and to resolve the Company’s violation of the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) and its implementing regulations, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), in the United States.  This is the largest global foreign bribery resolution to date.  

Airbus entered into a deferred prosecution agreement with the department in connection with a criminal information filed on Jan. 28, 2020 in the District of Columbia charging the Company with conspiracy to violate the anti-bribery provision of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and conspiracy to violate the AECA and its implementing regulations, the ITAR.  The FCPA charge arose out of Airbus’s scheme to offer and pay bribes to foreign officials, including Chinese officials, in order to obtain and retain business, including contracts to sell aircraft.  The AECA charge stems from Airbus’s willful failure to disclose political contributions, commissions or fees to the U.S. government, as required under the ITAR, in connection with the sale or export of defense articles and defense services to the Armed Forces of a foreign country or international organization.  The case is assigned to U.S. District Judge Thomas F. Hogan of the District of Columbia.

“Airbus engaged in a multi-year and massive scheme to corruptly enhance its business interests by paying bribes in China and other countries and concealing those bribes,” said Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division.  “This coordinated resolution was possible thanks to the dedicated efforts of our foreign partners at the Serious Fraud Office in the United Kingdom and the PNF in France.  The Department will continue to work aggressively with our partners across the globe to root out corruption, particularly corruption that harms American interests.”

“International corruption involving sensitive U.S. defense technology presents a particularly dangerous combination.  Today’s announcement demonstrates the Department’s continuing commitment to ensuring that those who violate our export control laws are held to account,” said Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General David P. Burns of the Justice Department’s National Security Division (NSD).  “The resolution, however, also reflects the significant benefits available under NSD’s revised voluntary self-disclosure policy for companies that choose to self-report export violations, cooperate, and remediate as to those violations, even where there are aggravating circumstances.  We hope other companies will make the same decision as Airbus to report potential criminal export violations timely and directly to NSD so that they too can avail themselves of the policy’s benefits.”

“Today, Airbus has admitted to a years-long campaign of corruption around the world, said U.S. Attorney Jessie K. Liu of the District of Columbia.  “Through bribes, Airbus allowed rampant corruption to invade the U.S. system. Additionally, Airbus falsely reported information about their conduct to the U.S. government for more than five years in order to gain valuable licenses to export U.S. military technology.  This case exemplifies the ability of our prosecutors and law enforcement to work with our foreign counterparts to ensure that corruption around the world is prevented and punished at the highest levels.” 

“Airbus SE, the second largest Aerospace company world-wide, engaged in a systematic and deliberate conspiracy, that knowingly and willfully violated U.S. fraud and export laws,” said Special Agent in Charge Peter C. Fitzhugh of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) New York.  “Airbus’s fraud and bribery in commercial aircraft transactions strengthened corrupt airlines and bad actors worldwide, at the expense of straightforward enterprises.  Additionally, the bribery of government officials, specifically those involved in the procurement of U.S. military technology, posed a national security threat to both the U.S. and its allies.  The global threats facing the U.S. have never been greater than they are today, and HSI New York is committed to working with our federal and international partners to assure sensitive U.S. technologies are not unlawfully and fraudulently acquired. As this investigation reflects, national security continues to be a top priority not just for Department of Homeland Security, but for HSI New York.”

The Company’s payment to the United States will be $527 million for the FCPA and ITAR violations, and an additional 50 million Euros (approximately $55 million) as part of a civil forfeiture agreement for the ITAR-related conduct, and the department will credit a portion of the amount the Company pays to the Parquet National Financier (PNF) in France under the Company’s agreement with the PNF.  In addition, the Company has agreed to pay a $10 million penalty to the U.S. Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), of which the department is crediting $5 million.  In related proceedings, the Company settled with the PNF in France over bribes paid to government officials and non-governmental airline executives in China and multiple other countries and the Company has agreed to pay more than 2 billion Euros (more than approximately $2.29 billion) pursuant to the PNF agreement.  As part of this coordinated global resolution, the Company also entered into a deferred prosecution agreement with the United Kingdom’s Serious Fraud Office (SFO) over bribes paid in Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Indonesia and Ghana, and the Company has agreed to pay approximately 990 million Euros equivalent (approximately $1.09 billion) pursuant to the SFO agreement.  The PNF and SFO had investigated the Company as part of a Joint Investigative Team.

According to admissions and court documents, beginning in at least 2008 and continuing until at least 2015, Airbus engaged in and facilitated a scheme to offer and pay bribes to decision makers and other influencers, including to foreign officials, in order to obtain improper business advantages and to win business from both privately owned enterprises and entities that were state-owned and state-controlled.  In furtherance of the corrupt bribery scheme, Airbus employees and agents, among other things, sent emails while located in the United States and participated in and provided luxury travel to foreign officials within the United States. 

The admissions and court documents establish that in order to conceal and to facilitate the bribery scheme, Airbus engaged certain business partners, in part, to assist in the bribery scheme.  Between approximately 2013 and 2015, Airbus engaged a business partner in China and knowingly and willfully conspired to make payments to the business partner that were intended to be used as bribes to government officials in China in connection with the approval of certain agreements in China associated with the purchase and sale of Airbus aircraft to state-owned and state-controlled airlines in China.  In order to conceal the payments and to conceal its engagement of the business partner in China, Airbus did not pay the business partner directly but instead made payments to a bank account in Hong Kong in the name of a company controlled by another business partner. 

Pursuant to the AECA and ITAR, the DDTC regulates the export and import of U.S. defense articles and defense services, and prohibits their export overseas without the requisite licensing and approval of the DDTC.  According to admissions and court documents, between December 2011 and December 2016, Airbus filed numerous applications for the export of defense articles and defense services to foreign armed forces.  As part of its applications, Airbus was required under Part 130 of the ITAR to provide certain information related to political contributions, fees or commissions paid in connection with the sale of defense articles or defense services.  The admissions and court documents reveal, however, that the Company engaged in a criminal conspiracy to knowingly and willfully violate the AECA and ITAR, by failing to provide DDTC with accurate information related to commissions paid by Airbus to third-party brokers who were hired to solicit, promote or otherwise secure the sale of defense articles and defense services to foreign armed forces. 

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Skimming his tweets and retweets, I see that Thomas Massie is a diehard MAGA who thinks that this bill will secretly put all US social media sites under the control of the FBI so that Biden can use it to force a woke purge on the internet by shutting down conservative social media and forcing other social media outlets to ban conservatives.

He also thinks the Biden administration is running an open borders policy on purpose as part of a dastardly plot to pack the government by increasing the population of blue states with tens of millions of illegal immigrants, increasing those states' number of House seats and electoral votes.

He also thinks that the US created COVID as part of their efforts to "play god" by researching new vaccines (which, for context, he thinks are a bad thing), and that the CDC was bribed into requiring dangerous COVID vaccines that are killing Americans.

quote:

(3) FOREIGN ADVERSARY CONTROLLED APPLICATION.—The term “foreign adversary controlled application” means a website, desktop application, mobile application, or augmented or immersive technology application that is operated, directly or indirectly (including through a parent company, subsidiary, or affiliate), by—

(A) any of—
(i) ByteDance, Ltd.;
(ii) TikTok;
(iii) a subsidiary of or a successor to an entity identified in clause (i) or (ii) that is controlled by a foreign adversary; or
(iv) an entity owned or controlled, directly or indirectly, by an entity identified in clause (i), (ii), or (iii); or

(B) a covered company that—
(i) is controlled by a foreign adversary; and
(ii) that is determined by the President to present a significant threat to the national security of the United States following the issuance of—
(I) a public notice proposing such determination; and
(II) a public report to Congress, submitted not less than 30 days before such determination, describing the specific national security concern involved and containing a classified annex and a description of what assets would need to be divested to execute a qualified divestiture.

This is the relevant portion (minus the weird "review" website exception section lol) and it appears pretty clear cut to me (not a lawyer though).

Either way, I don't see why one would go after the messenger. We have the text of the bill available.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

koolkal posted:

This is the relevant portion (minus the weird "review" website exception section lol) and it appears pretty clear cut to me (not a lawyer though).

Either way, I don't see why one would go after the messenger. We have the text of the bill available.

Could Trump 46 use this against, say, Google to force the sale of its assets to other parties?

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Nonsense posted:

United still flies the 737 MAX, as well as Airbus jets. I don't believe the government can compel the airlines to change the planes they use.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mawarannahr posted:

Could Trump 46 use this against, say, Google to force the sale of its assets to other parties?

If Google became a subsidiary of ByteDance, Ltd or the Chinese government, then yes.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Timmy Age 6 posted:

United still flies the 737 MAX, as well as Airbus jets. I don't believe the government can compel the airlines to change the planes they use.
If they blocked Airbus sales and support, and Airbus parts makers, wouldn't it accomplish the same end?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

So here's the relevant section on covered companies and what "controlled" means:

quote:

(1) CONTROLLED BY A FOREIGN ADVERSARY.—The term “controlled by a foreign adversary” means, with respect to a covered company or other entity, that such company or other entity is—

(A) a foreign person that is domiciled in, is headquartered in, has its principal place of business in, or is organized under the laws of a foreign adversary country;
(B) an entity with respect to which a foreign person or combination of foreign persons described in subparagraph (A) directly or indirectly own at least a 20 percent stake; or
(C) a person subject to the direction or control of a foreign person or entity described in subparagraph (A) or (B).

(2) COVERED COMPANY.—

(A) IN GENERAL.—The term “covered company” means an entity that operates, directly or indirectly (including through a parent company, subsidiary, or affiliate), a website, desktop application, mobile application, or augmented or immersive technology application that—

(i) permits a user to create an account or profile to generate, share, and view text, images, videos, real-time communications, or similar content;
(ii) has more than 1,000,000 monthly active users with respect to at least 2 of the 3 months preceding the date on which a relevant determination of the President is made pursuant to paragraph (3)(B);
(iii) enables 1 or more users to generate or distribute content that can be viewed by other users of the website, desktop application, mobile application, or augmented or immersive technology application; and
(iv) enables 1 or more users to view content generated by other users of the website, desktop application, mobile application, or augmented or immersive technology application.

(B) EXCLUSION.—The term “covered company” does not include an entity that operates a website, desktop application, mobile application, or augmented or immersive technology application whose primary purpose is to allow users to post product reviews, business reviews, or travel information and reviews.

This would not include Google. It would include Epic though lol

Also the requirements don't actually need the Chinese government involved at all since it relies on foreign ownership. So anything that is partially owned by people living in China is at risk, assuming they meet the application requirements on size + function.

Not a lawyer though so I may be missing something!

koolkal fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 13, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If Google became a subsidiary of ByteDance, Ltd or the Chinese government, then yes.

I was thinking about part B, but I missed the "and" between the (i+)s. I don't have the rest of the text I front of me, but is there a part I have a question about :

quote:

iii) a subsidiary of or a successor to an entity identified in clause (i) or (ii) that is controlled by a foreign adversary; or
(iv) an entity owned or controlled, directly or indirectly, by an entity identified in clause (i), (ii), or
These seem to suggest ownership and control are not the same thing.
If so:

quote:

(B) a covered company that—
(i) is controlled by a foreign adversary; and
Is adversarial control but not ownership sufficient? I should look into how it's defined in the text I suppose.

e:

koolkal posted:

So here's the relevant section on covered companies and what "controlled" means:

This would not include Google. It would include Epic though lol

Also the requirements don't actually need the Chinese government involved at all since it relies on foreign ownership. So anything that is partially owned by people living in China is at risk, assuming they meet the application requirements on size + function.

Not a lawyer though so I may be missing something!

Thank you for doing the needful and lol Epic

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mendrian posted:

Listen. Guys.

For better or worse you're making the government's case for them. You're saying that TikTok is a place where marginalized communities have gathered and shared ideas with one another to the degree that they've become a very passionate community who are receptive to ideas promoted by that community. That a foreign power has the very real potential to influence the process by which this community communicates within itself as well as the ideas being promoted within it is an enormous concern to the US government.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

mawarannahr posted:

If they blocked Airbus sales and support, and Airbus parts makers, wouldn't it accomplish the same end?

There's a lot of US companies that make parts for Airbus aircraft, so that would be a very silly thing, but sure, I guess you could theoretically try to get the FAA to revoke the airworthiness certificates of all non-Boeing aircraft, but at that point you'd be pretty deep into fantasy land and also sabotaging the entire air travel industry and the economy, so... it's possible in the same sense as simultaneous meteor strikes on Joe Biden and Donald Trump throwing the election into chaos is possible, but about as likely, and thus about as worth planning for.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Timmy Age 6 posted:

There's a lot of US companies that make parts for Airbus aircraft, so that would be a very silly thing, but sure, I guess you could theoretically try to get the FAA to revoke the airworthiness certificates of all non-Boeing aircraft, but at that point you'd be pretty deep into fantasy land and also sabotaging the entire air travel industry and the economy, so... it's possible in the same sense as simultaneous meteor strikes on Joe Biden and Donald Trump throwing the election into chaos is possible, but about as likely, and thus about as worth planning for.
I wasn't thinking of it as a matter of airworthiness but as one of national security -- Airbus has been caught with its hands dirtied up with adversarial actors. In the context of the TikTok bill, I suspect that would be a much likelier route to protect Boeing than questioning Airbus's airworthiness.

tangent lol: U.S. Department of State Concludes $51 Million Settlement Resolving Export Violations by The Boeing Company

www.state.gov - February 29, 2024 posted:

The U.S. Department of State has concluded an administrative settlement with The Boeing Company (Boeing) to resolve 199 violations of the Arms Export Control Act (AECA), 22 U.S.C. § 2751 et seq., and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), 22 CFR parts 120-130. The Department of State and Boeing reached this settlement following an extensive compliance review by the Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance in the Department’s Bureau of Political-Military Affairs.

The administrative settlement between the Department of State and Boeing, concluded pursuant to ITAR § 128.11, addresses Boeing’s unauthorized exports and retransfers of technical data to foreign-person employees and contractors; unauthorized exports of defense articles, including unauthorized exports of technical data to the People’s Republic of China, a proscribed destination under ITAR § 126.1; and violations of license terms, conditions, and provisos of Directorate of Defense Trade Controls authorizations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Caros posted:

Yeah. Everyone aged 12-16. That is what they said.

This is from a few pages back, but I feel it's important to point out that because of how time works people who are 12-16 now will be 18-24 in the future which is why long term this could have negative ramifications.

The Republicans already have a strong grasp on the narrative that Democrats are against free speech, if Biden signs that bill that's getting further cemented in the minds of a LOT kids in a way that sticks with them because it's going to have a direct impact on their daily lives. When some right wing grifter screams about how the Democrats are pro censorship that nonsense is going to sound very plausible to a whole generation of people who remember when the Democrats banned tiktok.

And no it doesn't matter that the bill had bipartisan support, if a Democratic president was in the office when it happens that's who's getting the blame.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Riptor posted:

For better or worse you're making the government's case for them. You're saying that TikTok is a place where marginalized communities have gathered and shared ideas with one another to the degree that they've become a very passionate community who are receptive to ideas promoted by that community. That a foreign power has the very real potential to influence the process by which this community communicates within itself as well as the ideas being promoted within it is an enormous concern to the US government.

Then the US has a responsibility to address the means by which that 'influence' occurs, not to simply ban the community. Because it is not a problem unique to China and in fact could happen with any domestic app just as easily.

EDIT: Also what exactly is the 'enormous security concern'? I hear this a lot in this argument but no one wants to spell it out, like it's just obvious on its face.

For instance, I should think what occurred on Facebook in 2016-2020 - bombing boomers with misinformation delivered through Russian bots - is kind of what people are talking about when they discuss 'security' concerns. But Facebook is a domestic company that was influenced by a foreign power. Congress tried to address it but it mostly resulted in a personal dressing down of Zuckerberg with little political will to go further.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 13, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Montana's TikTok ban was struck down in federal court and it seems very likely that a similar fate would befall the federal version. Either way, they will 100% get a stay while it is litigated, so there will be no change for several years at least.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Actually love to see Boeing crashing and burning as a result of their decision to move production to places with weak labor laws and lower taxes because the obscene tax breaks they were getting in WA just weren't enough. gently caress Boeing

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Mendrian posted:

Then the US has a responsibility to address the means by which that 'influence' occurs, not to simply ban the community. Because it is not a problem unique to China and in fact could happen with any domestic app just as easily.

EDIT: Also what exactly is the 'enormous security concern'? I hear this a lot in this argument but no one wants to spell it out, like it's just obvious on its face.

For instance, I should think what occurred on Facebook in 2016-2020 - bombing boomers with misinformation delivered through Russian bots - is kind of what people are talking about when they discuss 'security' concerns. But Facebook is a domestic company that was influenced by a foreign power. Congress tried to address it but it mostly resulted in a personal dressing down of Zuckerberg with little political will to go further.

While the problem of discursive influence is not a problem unique to China, it's qualitatively different and of massively different scale when the entity in question is a proxy to a state actor and the state actor is famously sanguine about overt, massive propaganda systems of societal control. The US has less physical or legal access to even pursue action against China for similar actions, which can be on a far larger scale and with greater sophistication. Also China has illustrated a comfort with the use of these systems as Leon previously discussed with the Huawei cases.

Tiktok is also qualitatively and quantitatively different from other platforms in that it's even more effective as a passive, serial, medium with opaque intellectual tendencies. These would be reasons to hate the platform as social media in its own terms, but they also make it worse as a tool of deliberate manipulation.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 13, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Montana's TikTok ban was struck down in federal court and it seems very likely that a similar fate would befall the federal version. Either way, they will 100% get a stay while it is litigated, so there will be no change for several years at least.

That ruling was half based on first amendment concerns and half based on supremacy, which wouldn't apply to a federal action

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Discendo Vox posted:

Tiktok is also qualitatively and quantitatively different from other platforms in that it's even more effective as a passive, serial, medium with opaque intellectual tendencies.

Is there any research into these differences you can share?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

Hope he's very wrong.

Thomas Massie is my friends' representative and he is a colossal idiot. His schtick is being a general contrarian and just voting NO on everything

Main Paineframe posted:

This. If he's right on this, it's "blind squirrel finding a nut" level of right

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mendrian posted:

I was writing a response but this was better than anything I was able to put together:

Discendo Vox posted:

While the problem of discursive influence is not a problem unique to China, it's qualitatively different and of massively different scale when the entity in question is a proxy to a state actor and the state actor is famously sanguine about overt, massive propaganda systems of societal control.

Yep, exactly. The examples you cite of Russian propaganda, whereby state actors publish propaganda or engage in manipulation on a private platform, or even a situation where a private organization like Cambridge Analytica dupes people into providing data about themselves and then use that for further manipulative purposes are - to be clear - bad, (as is these two parallel things intersecting) but are substantively different from a state actor effectively owning a platform as well as all of its data, and indeed how that data is used. Russia was posting stuff on Facebook and hoping it stuck. They (to our knowledge) didn't have access to Facebook's internal data. Imagine if they did

Mendrian posted:

As I mentioned upthread, maybe at some point in the future you start to notice a lot of messages promoting the idea that Taiwanese independence is actually a pretty absurd notion, and that, say, Politician A who opposes Chinese annexation of Taiwan is really just a warmonger and we should vote against them. How would you know that's an organic thought, and not something that's been algorithmically surfaced to you by someone with their thumb on the scale since, per the data that they have at their disposal, they've assessed that you've been receptive to previous, roughly similar messages in the past?

Riptor fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 13, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is from a few pages back, but I feel it's important to point out that because of how time works people who are 12-16 now will be 18-24 in the future which is why long term this could have negative ramifications.

The Republicans already have a strong grasp on the narrative that Democrats are against free speech, if Biden signs that bill that's getting further cemented in the minds of a LOT kids in a way that sticks with them because it's going to have a direct impact on their daily lives. When some right wing grifter screams about how the Democrats are pro censorship that nonsense is going to sound very plausible to a whole generation of people who remember when the Democrats banned tiktok.

And no it doesn't matter that the bill had bipartisan support, if a Democratic president was in the office when it happens that's who's getting the blame.

Yep.

Forever it will be "Joe Biden just signed the TikTok ban bill, banning or heavily censoring political content on Tiktok."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

That ruling was half based on first amendment concerns and half based on supremacy, which wouldn't apply to a federal action

Yes, but the first amendment grounds will be hard to get around.*

*Based on existing case law, but you never know with the current court. However, even the current court probably wants to continue to shrink administrative state regulatory power.