Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

radmonger posted:

AI ball gargling

gently caress off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Quote is not edit

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

radmonger posted:

For all the poo poo the ending to KerBlam! rightfully gets, a surprisingly large number of people do seem to want to apply it in real life.

Ok, your job is demonstrably obsolete, and so we would normally let you go. However, we are feeling benevolent, we will let you carry on doing that pointless thing in return for a pittance. But be aware, we will be monitoring you for any signs of lack of energy or motivation.

I guess at the moment, there is some level of plausible deniability that the AI is not actually capable of doing the job properly? Which may even be justified. But I don’t think the case where it isn’t is the one that people are actually worried about.

I don’t think “fire all the part-time freelance contractors we paid to write marketing copy, but keep our management because we have to personally vet every piece of AI content” is quite the same as what you’re describing.

I’m frankly shocked someone hasn’t set up an honest competition as a gimmick: half our materials will be AI produced and half human produced, and we’ll see which is most successful. Cutting humans out completely implies AI can’t compete yet so you can’t allow it a level playing field.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The competition is also surely rigged. They know what they want to happen here and the testing is just a different aggressive way of doing it. If they do the testing and human copy comes out on top 100% of the time but the AI poo poo still gets X percent clicks, they will simply reason the loss of whatever percent is worth the money they'd save removing humans from the economy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The BBC are almost certainly over a barrel on this, they're constantly sxruitinesed for every penny they spend so any opportunity to not spend money HAS to be investigated and explored. It's poo poo, they shouldn't do it, there's absolutely some tory appointed board member demanding to know why they even bother with marketing spends at all because it's not reasonable to spend taxpayer money on telling everyone about doctor who.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/blufruity/status/1766130956245602742

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God, City of Death was so loving good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ncuti was on the Oscars stage last night when Ryan Gosling performed his Barbie song! :3:

And then afterwards, got partially converted!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RIVER!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1767249134082257381?s=20

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What on earth is that pose for Nine though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As fun as River and Nine sound together, how will they explain the fact that Ten had absolutely no idea who she was?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
He's just screwing a very large lightbulb for River, what's wrong with that.

SirSamVimes posted:

As fun as River and Nine sound together, how will they explain the fact that Ten had absolutely no idea who she was?

Probably using one of the myriad ways they already used when she met earlier incarnations, is my guess.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh I didn't know that was a thing.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SirSamVimes posted:

If I'm remembering correctly Nine is actually the last incarnation she's yet to meet whose actors are still alive.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

What on earth is that pose for Nine though

Being menaced by a slitheen:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

The story where she meets 6 & 7 and gets to the point where she has to wipe their memories, and 7 just starts infuriating her as he cheerfully keeps bypassing or avoiding her attempts to do so was a real treat :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The story where she meets 6 & 7 and gets to the point where she has to wipe their memories, and 7 just starts infuriating her as he cheerfully keeps bypassing or avoiding her attempts to do so was a real treat :)

I kind of wish they just had a story where late-9, early-10 lost all of their memories of her so that they wouldn't have to keep going back to the same bag of tricks that Big Finish always uses whenever they want to have someone from the new series meet an old Doctor.

I would say "screw continuity" here, but the Doctor's "first" meeting with River being her last meeting with him is kind of important.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Showed my wife the TV movie last night, her previous Who experience being only doctors 9-15.

She enjoyed Roberts being ridiculous as the Master but commented that most of the first half hour you'd be forgiven for having no idea you were watching Doctor Who. It'd been a while since I'd watched and I'd forgotten how very American it all feels. Like, you can see where the revival takes a couple of cues from (especially the big setpiece ending) but it's mostly a weird artifact of a road not taken. I'm glad McGann got the audios and Night of the Doctor as he's fun in it but definitely needed more time.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Guess whose back!*

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-steven-moffat-2024-christmas-newsupdate/

*Unconfirmed but pretty likely

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I will be very happy if it is true!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He did an interview a few months back and it couldn’t have been more obvious from how coy he was being. It was great. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m80w0y8oJS4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I haven't liked anything that he's written lately but I've convinced myself that his time away from Doctor Who and that him not being the showrunner will mean he'll come in with his strengths and leave his weaknesses behind him. I'm excited. This Christmas, Lucy is finally going to let me kick that football.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

He's had seven years to come up with one good Who idea, I have reasonable hopes. Yes Inside Man was terrible and Douglas is Cancelled seems like a terrible idea but some of Dracula was ok, right? Right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

some of Dracula was ok, right? Right?

A chunk of the second episode was quite good. Please don't watch episode 1 or 3 :gonk:

But yeah, Moffat (possibly) doing Who and under RTD's supervision has me excited!

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
(praying that Moffat takes his good writing pills that day instead of the poo poo he's been doing)

But as pointed out, he's generally much better at smaller stuff, his huge splashy "i'm making a big point" stuff sucks. I'm generally optimistic.

The irony of a guy who wrote a Jekyll series oscillating between extremely good and dogshit terrible.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I highly enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Dracula and part of the third, though the resolution was pretty crappy. Haven't seen anything else he's done since, but there was an Amazon show with Peter Capaldi and Jessica Raine that he was involved in and I caught a line that sounded very Moffat, about a time travelling guy who didn't prevent 9/11 but did prevent (random other date where nothing of note happened).

Anyway I'm skeptical of him returning because he's the sole credited writer of 42 episodes, the Douglas Adams number. Perfect number to stop at.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

2house2fly posted:

but there was an Amazon show with Peter Capaldi and Jessica Raine that he was involved in and I caught a line that sounded very Moffat, about a time travelling guy who didn't prevent 9/11 but did prevent (random other date where nothing of note happened).

The Devil’s Hour. That’s the one scene I’ve seen of it, and has intrigued me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS1tojGz93U

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

A chunk of the second episode was quite good. Please don't watch episode 1 or 3 :gonk:

But yeah, Moffat (possibly) doing Who and under RTD's supervision has me excited!

There were bits of the first episode I liked, they nailed some of the horror elements and the idea that Dracula is draining people's knowledge and even accents when he drinks from them was interesting, but yeah by episode 3 he'd turned it into nonsense.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Devil's Hour is okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Overall I've found that his recent work shows promise at the start and has lots of moments to like, but leans heavily on building toward something and not sticking the landing, is I guess how I'd put it. Like Inside Man was doomed from the start because the "one bad day" hypothesis is not playing to his strengths and the David Tennant side of it escalates so quickly that it becomes impossible to say that he's not just stupid and unnecessarily violent, but what really does it in is that the Stanley Tucci puzzle box part feels like a fakeout designed to string the show along as some kind of anthology series.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

the David Tennant side of it escalates so quickly that it becomes impossible to say that he's not just stupid and unnecessarily violent

I think part of what that subplot is driving at is that David Tennant and Lyndsey Marshall (Vicar and his wife) are both intended to be very foolish people, particularly in his belief that his status grants him special protections and amnesties against various actions which are not, at all, protected. Particularly when they're up against a threat who's convinced the only way out of her situation is playing the accelerationist.

And to its credit the series wrings some decent comedy out of their downfall. Particularly Marshall's "it's not fair! the police get so many attempts to practice catching killers and killers only get one chance to get it right" sob speech, which is definitely the best thing Moffat's written in ages.

However, in order to do all of this the show relies on a lot of coincidence, and on top of that a great deal of cheese. And the series never quite digs into the reasons behind Tennant and Marshall's hubris, or why Tennant's actions are so consistently self-destructive.

On top of all this, there's some godawaful #meToo discourse thrown in -- particularly when you realise that David Tennant's dealing with something akin to cancellation anxiety -- and Moffat cast his own son in a prominent role, which is pretty on brand for the guy let's be real.

Bicyclops posted:

the Stanley Tucci puzzle box part feels like a fakeout designed to string the show along as some kind of anthology series.

This is very true.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I’m not sure what the worst thing about Inside Man is, the “pay the rapist” twist from episode 1 or David Tennant’s character’s plan to get the heat off the nonce verger by taking the fall for him and downloading some more CSA images to his flash drive just to make the sacrifice seem more convincing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

I’m not sure what the worst thing about Inside Man is, the “pay the rapist” twist from episode 1 or David Tennant’s character’s plan to get the heat off the nonce verger by taking the fall for him and downloading some more CSA images to his flash drive just to make the sacrifice seem more convincing.

I'm glad to know I made the right decision by bailing out as soon as Tennant locked the woman in his basement.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

And to its credit the series wrings some decent comedy out of their downfall. Particularly Marshall's "it's not fair! the police get so many attempts to practice catching killers and killers only get one chance to get it right" sob speech, which is definitely the best thing Moffat's written in ages.

Sadly, that's not Moffat's line. It's from a Columbo episode where Columbo is explaining why he has an advantage at catching killers. And given that Moffat was part of the Columbophile website's "greatest Columbo moments" list and made an attempt to reboot the series, he definitely is pulling the idea from Columbo.

Not that that takes anything away from the way the idea gets deployed or the decision to shift that line from detective to killer.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Narsham posted:

Sadly, that's not Moffat's line. It's from a Columbo episode where Columbo is explaining why he has an advantage at catching killers. And given that Moffat was part of the Columbophile website's "greatest Columbo moments" list and made an attempt to reboot the series, he definitely is pulling the idea from Columbo.

Not that that takes anything away from the way the idea gets deployed or the decision to shift that line from detective to killer.

Before Columbo, I think Poirot had a similar line about how the detective's advantage is that the detective is always a professional, but the murderer is always an amateur.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I cannot imagine anything I’d want less than a Moffat remake of Columbo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Before Columbo, I think Poirot had a similar line about how the detective's advantage is that the detective is always a professional, but the murderer is always an amateur.

Yeah, I was going to say, it definitely sounds like an Agatha Christie line. I think he says it multiple times, up there with "I do not approve of murder."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I cannot imagine anything I’d want less than a Moffat remake of Columbo

Thankfully Rian Johnson got Poker Face made so that space is filled.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

And the Kings have their own Columbo too. Probably won't stop Moffat trying to do a spiritual sequel to Jonathan Creek or something.

Just with more marriage as a metaphor for... I dunno, getting your legs chopped off so you can't leave or whatever the christ his Time Traveler's Wife was going for there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Fil5000 posted:

:agreed: