Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also suspect the "grab all the territory ASAP" strategy might be harder to pull off consistently against a real human opponent, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
So I just did the chicken game that everyone bitches about and got it done in 5 minutes? Do people not know you can just immediately throw the thing again after messing up? You don’t need to go back to the starting area of each chicken.

JBP posted:

The sound mix in this game sucks so much. It's my only criticism.

Yep especially for surround sound. The back speakers are blasting at twice the volume for any dialogue which doesn’t happen with any other game. So bizarre. And during any cutscene the sound constantly rotates between speakers like every three seconds, also irritating, as positional sound just becomes highly distracting.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 13, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Once I got Titan I never removed it from my deck. A two pip card that makes the top, bottom and forward slots also two pips? Sign me up! Once you get replacement cards, Shiva is also supremely powerful. It secures all your empty slots and you can replace the weaker ice with stronger cards.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

The "just grab as much territory ASAP" strategy hasn't worked well for me. I've found personally it's more consistent to try and wait for your opponent to try to take a square in the center column before starting to extend past the first two columns. It's much easier to punish your opponent for overextending (using Archdragons and similar) and claim back a bunch of their territory rather than trying to extend first.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SettingSun posted:

There are a lot of cool strats you can pull off in QB (and have them done to you by the AI) but is there a more effective strategy than overrunning the board and keeping your opponent from playing? Has done me well so far. I still use the prebuilt deck that incudes Midgarsormr I made 30 hours ago.

Middy bros :respek: I did modify that deck as I got replacement cards, since replacing a card counts as destroying it (and makes Middy stronger). Also swapped a few cards with ones that are better for gaining control of the board.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah there’s exactly 1 opponent in the game that didn’t fall almost immediately to my “rush to the other side of the board lol no cards means no points fuckface” deck I built after Junon.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I used a Midgardsormr deck for the back half of the opponents. Final opponent spoilers it's really funny how her -2 spaces are basically just free zones to feed low power cards on in the endgame. My snake overpowered her queen so hard it didn't even matter that I lost the other two lanes.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure what I expected from the end of the Queens Blood side story, but Vincent showing up and shooting the evil cards with his gun was not it. :lol:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I'm not sure what I expected from the end of the Queens Blood side story, but Vincent showing up and shooting the evil cards with his gun was not it. :lol:

The fact that Vincent is a hardcore dedicated CCG player tied deeply into the YGO-like plot loving oooooowns. It owns so incredibly hard.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
If they changed QB aí so it doesn't move the cards slowly starting from my end of the board I'd appreciate it

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

SettingSun posted:

There are a lot of cool strats you can pull off in QB (and have them done to you by the AI) but is there a more effective strategy than overrunning the board and keeping your opponent from playing? Has done me well so far. I still use the prebuilt deck that incudes Midgarsormr I made 30 hours ago.

The mindflayer/tonberry king deck is the closest I have to face rolling the normal players. Aggressively mulligan for your tonberries and a cross shaped piece wins 99% of the time. It's even great at pressuring the board because it kills your guys to let you reclaim tiles Villain takes from you. Admittedly, I haven't gotten to the end yet, but if a deck goes 21-0, I think it's pretty good.

Only time I had to make a new deck was for the Gold Saucer puzzles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the advanced gold saucer challenges are where my territory/empowerment deck met its match. doesn’t matter how many squares you take when half the enemy deck is devoted to replacing its own cards

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

It completely ruins the chapter 12 arena battles because the best part of wall market arena was the commentary. Skotch and Kotch are doing the same great calls of the fight, but you can't hear poo poo from them no matter how much you gently caress with the mix. You basically have to open the menu to hear their dialogue.

Like I can deal with the music absolutely blaring over two characters conversing during a sidequest. I just read the subtitles and deal with it, but for a scene where there is dialogue that is meant to complement the action and reading subs isn't viable, it's a 0/10 for audio because it actively makes the segment suck.

I didn't have any audibility issues throughout the game with a 5.1 surround set up :shrug:

Are you using headphones/stereo while your ps5 is set to surround sound?

Vitamean posted:

I used a Midgardsormr deck for the back half of the opponents. Final opponent spoilers it's really funny how her -2 spaces are basically just free zones to feed low power cards on in the endgame. My snake overpowered her queen so hard it didn't even matter that I lost the other two lanes.

This card carried me through the rest of the QBs matches after I got it. Just set it up and then use some archdragons or something else to destroy a few opposing cards and cruise to victory.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Lol the Corel Region Coal Mine busy work is loving terrible. Please tell me this is the most monotonous part of the game

Still a 10/10 game but holy moly, FF7 remake can hit you with some REAL barn burners when it comes to circuitous make-work gameplay at times

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you using headphones/stereo while your ps5 is set to surround sound?

That is exactly what it sounds like to me too; dialog being poo poo is almost always some kind of channel mismatch.

I have 7.1.2 and while everything is ok, and it actually DOES use the Atmos speakers, I really wish the game used the 3D spatial capabilities of Atmos to spread out elements more naturally through the directional channels. Way too often the game has a tendency to go "all in" on a channel where for example, if you're hearing dialog from a person to the left of your character, it will come through the left channel mostly which ends up feeling kind of artificial. It's still nice and better than not having it, but there are much better sounds implementations around (for example I really loved the surround sound implementation in Cyberpunk 2077).

It's cool to talk about this with someone cuz surround sound gaming people seem to be rare as hell

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 13, 2024

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I absolutely did not enjoy the temple section with all the random prayer locations to build a meter just to find out I had to go find more prayer orbs :mad:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Taima posted:

Lol the Corel Region Coal Mine busy work is loving terrible. Please tell me this is the most monotonous part of the game

Still a 10/10 game but holy moly, FF7 remake can hit you with some REAL barn burners when it comes to circuitous make-work gameplay at times

:twisted: It's probably not even top 3

Taima posted:

I have 7.1.2 and while everything is ok, and it actually DOES use the Atmos speakers, I really wish the game used the 3D spatial capabilities of Atmos to spread out elements more naturally through the directional channels. Way too often the game has a tendency to go "all in" on a channel where for example, if you're hearing dialog from a person to the left of your character, it will come through the left channel mostly which ends up feeling kind of artificial. It's still nice and better than not having it, but there are much better sounds implementations around (for example I really loved the surround sound implementation in Cyberpunk 2077).

It's cool to talk about this with someone cuz surround sound gaming people seem to be rare as hell

Good to know that it can and does use atmos. :toot:

And like you, I did notice that the game sends all the audio to the speaker instead of panning to it more naturally. It's very noticeable when you get some audio from the surround speakers.
But as you said, I'd rather this surround sound implementation than none at all.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 13, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
(The Tempering)

You know, on reflection I probably should have figured out in advance to kill Phoenix before Kujata. I'm not even mad.

Also it's not nearly as funny as Bahamut summoning Ifrit.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Did anyone else see this and think of the extremely r-worded "benis" "bepis" memes of like 15 years ago? lol

Haha. Planet's benis.

Planet's benis is dying cloud :( we need the TRT materia that Aerith dropped in the water after she was killed. My uncle said you can get that materia with a game shark and it cures the planet's benis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 13, 2024

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fedule posted:

(The Tempering)

You know, on reflection I probably should have figured out in advance to kill Phoenix before Kujata. I'm not even mad.

Also it's not nearly as funny as Bahamut summoning Ifrit.

Haha I did the exact same thing. :negative: And then I was like "Yea that makes sense. Of course that would happen."

I was more worried about Kujata getting powered up and ruining my poo poo but that didn't happen either.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Tifa was already a platinum gameplay character in Remake, but now that I have close to her full kit and frankly irresponsible levels of ATB generation, Rebirth has her on a whole other level. I'm so glad the response to Intermission's "Yuffie is too powerful" conundrum is "so is everyone."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Taima posted:

Did anyone else see this and think of the extremely r-worded "benis" "bepis" memes of like 15 years ago? lol

Haha. Planet's benis.

Planet's benis is dying cloud :( we need the TRT materia that Aerith dropped in the water after she was killed. My uncle said you can get that materia with a game shark and it cures the planet's benis.

No I did not think of that.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

My one gameplay critique is that the summons feel a bit bolted onto the rest of the combat system. For the most part I never really cared about which summons I had equipped, I just called them out and they hung out a bit and then 30 seconds later they ended the fight. I'm hoping in part 3 where we ostensibly get to experience Knights of the Round in its full glory they find a way to integrate summons more with the rest of gameplay systems.

I'm not sure how honestly but Cait Sith's summon ability was neat, maybe just having more abilities that interact with summons or summon synergy attacks or something.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I have been trying to use my brain for several days now but any time I request any thoughts it just does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvDPJIzzYTs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chomposaur posted:

My one gameplay critique is that the summons feel a bit bolted onto the rest of the combat system. For the most part I never really cared about which summons I had equipped, I just called them out and they hung out a bit and then 30 seconds later they ended the fight. I'm hoping in part 3 where we ostensibly get to experience Knights of the Round in its full glory they find a way to integrate summons more with the rest of gameplay systems.

I'm not sure how honestly but Cait Sith's summon ability was neat, maybe just having more abilities that interact with summons or summon synergy attacks or something.

I'm not sure if you noticed but once a summon is out you gain access to Summon Abilities you can spend ATB on which usually hit like a brick. Cait Sith's ability just allows you to do a semi-random one of those without the summon being out. If nothing else Phoenix can be helpful because it gives you raise/arise pretty early.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My issue with summons is that I wish they were things you found in the world. It's not much but I did feel really great as a kid when I bred a golden chocobo and got Knights of the Round on that island. I enjoy combat challenges but these ones just feel so divorced from the rest of the game.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All the new stuff they've set up with Wutai seems really cool, and I'm really interested in seeing where it goes in the next game and how it affects Yuffie's character. She is way more up front with the group about why she's hunting down powerful materia, and she seems like a true believer in the SRC, the New Wutai Government and building a better future for Wutai and it's going to be heartbreaking when it all blows up in her face. I bet she will still end up stealing all our materia again, but it will be on Glenn's orders, and he's going manipulate her into turning on us. gently caress you Glenn!

I also like how they set up an excuse for why we can't just go wherever we want at the start of the next game because war were declared, and all the boarders are going to be locked down.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Hope the summons in the sequel get reworked into smth different, maybe the materia gives you some bonus or access to abilities, and the summoning is just the AOE attack or smth. Right now they're cool but I prefer using my ATB abilities or spells. Phoenix owns tho, tons of utility

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Augus posted:

No I did not think of that.

it was a bit much sorry.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Phoenix is mostly good because it takes a loving eternity for Revival Materia to be available

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rosalind posted:

Can Cait Sith and Aerith enjoyers post the equipment and materia they're using to have them be such good damage dealers please? Because I'm following the instructions people are posting for abilities to use and combat advice but they're still doing like next to no damage compared to Yuffie who rips through everything.

Edit: also how the heck you keep them alive when they're both made of glass compared to Barret's crazy defense or Yuffie the dodge queen?

Cait Sith is a momentum-based character in a combat system that already rewards momentum. For him to reach maximum effectiveness you need a few things:

- The folio node that gives him +100 luck while riding the moogle
- The Moogle Jockey weapon ability which does the same and stacks
- The folio node that immediately gives your moogle a level 2 meter when you first call it
- A way to quickly get ATB - A First Strike materia, Opening ATB skill nodes and weapon abilities, or popping off a charged synergy skill with Cloud, Yuffie, or Aerith at the start of a fight.

Get the ball rolling by popping Let's Ride! around as many enemies as you can. It doesn't mention it in the description, but the moogle dropping down after the summoning both does damage and refunds ATB - the more enemies you hit, the more ATB you get all the way from refunding the one you spent to full-on getting two full bars immediately. You then pop the moogle's triangle ability, which will likely be Fight! granting everyone both Bravery and Faith or Go Wild! which will put everyone in Berserk. After that you can hold square to roll over to an enemy and do a high damage combo sequence that ends with an elbow drop, or mash square in an enemy's face so both Cait Sith and the moogle will attack. With 200 luck Cait Sith's crit rate is essentially "Yes" and crits do a lot of stagger build up whether the target is pressured or not. Moogle Mine will also do good stagger damage but really only on enemies with big hit boxes who will run into multiple mines.

When your enemy is staggered you basically have two choices: Moogle Magic will call in a summon, but has a long animation both for the summoning and the summon actually appearing and attacking. It's really only worth it if you're able to do it as soon as t he stagger hits. If you don't have Tifa, then it's worth instead using Moogle Knuckle to increase the stagger multiplier to 200% and then popping Fortune Teller for damage. Fortune Teller is Cait Sith's most consistently useful offensive move since despite the RNG it tends to roll around Braver's damage and if you're really lucky you'll end up with essentially a one bar Infinity's End. When in doubt even a raw unstaggered Fortune Teller can still hit hard and crit.

Some more Cait Sith tech:

- Cait Sith can cast while the moogle moves around and attacks. This can be clutch, especially as magic can crit and you'll have a lot of ATB from having essentially two characters attacking simultaneously
- In a pinch hopping off the moogle and letting it go around naturally is totally valid (and still counts as a dodge with both iframes for Cait and the moogle) but its HP isn't great and it's definitely not as effective offensively as when you're riding it.
- The moogle essentially gives you super armor. You'll take damage, but not react unless something hits hard enough to kill the moogle, which will send you flying so keep that in mind.
- Don't like the result you get on Roll the Dice? Hit the die before the result name pops on screen to reroll it.
- You can do an offensive mount up by casting Let's Ride! while the moogle is still out but it does not grant Synergy bars, and you want to get Cait Sith's limit level up in a big fight as soon as you possibly can because...
- Cait Sith's limit break can be incredibly devastating, staggering bosses from low bar even while non-pressured. Throwing it out is almost always worth it since even a low roll will still be effective.

There's probably more I'm missing or don't know so if anyone else has something feel free to add it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cait Sith + Barret's synergy attack is probably the single most powerful crowd clearer in the entire game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Arist posted:

Phoenix is mostly good because it takes a loving eternity for Revival Materia to be available

Very painful when I realized the summon simulator fights don’t let me phoenix down

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Its kinda wild that Ive been playing this game for 50+ hours and I still don't have Caith Sith in my party. You don't see that in games anymore

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jimbot posted:

My issue with summons is that I wish they were things you found in the world. It's not much but I did feel really great as a kid when I bred a golden chocobo and got Knights of the Round on that island. I enjoy combat challenges but these ones just feel so divorced from the rest of the game.

I've been enjoying the "fight the summons to get them" thing in both this and Remake, but in this I definitely found myself wishing summons were found a bit more organically. Like it'd be really cool if, instead of just gathering intel and fighting the summon in VR, you actually had to do something out in the world to summon and fight them. It could still be linked to the Divine Intel and stuff, but it'd do more to ground the summons in the world and play with the lore they're establishing for them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My main issue with summons, like with Remake, is that they can be finicky when you want to use them strategically. First they have to decide to even be available, which is likely on any long enough fight but not guaranteed. Second is that only one of them will be available to activate and it might not be the one you want. Planning on bringing out Phoenix for this ice-vuln boss? Sorry, it's Moogle Trio time!

I guess you can work around that by unequipping summons you don't rant to use from fight to fight, but that kinda feels bad between menu trawling and losing some stat bonuses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

My main issue with summons, like with Remake, is that they can be finicky when you want to use them strategically. First they have to decide to even be available, which is likely on any long enough fight but not guaranteed. Second is that only one of them will be available to activate and it might not be the one you want. Planning on bringing out Phoenix for this ice-vuln boss? Sorry, it's Moogle Trio time!

I guess you can work around that by unequipping summons you don't rant to use from fight to fight, but that kinda feels bad between menu trawling and losing some stat bonuses.

The summon you summon is determined by who you use to activate the summon, it's not random. Some require 2 ATB.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pretty sure you can use any summon during a summon window, some just require multiple bars of ATB.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I do like the segments where it forces you to use certain party members because I’m bad about switching up my party on my own but you usually find some pretty fun combos or whatever when you play someone new for a bit.

I’d like to use Cait more because they seem pretty strong and unique, but the real joy of Cait Sith is in the animations. Every single one is delightful, even just the basic movements and dodges. The moogle’s regular walk is basically this

https://i.imgur.com/2EpjTwC.gifv

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The summon bar starts charging as soon as you get your first stagger in unless I’m going completely insane.

Coupled with all of the above about casting it from the character who has the relevant materia and enough ATB there’s nothing random about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Size also matters. You can't summon stuff like Alexander or Bahamut if they won't fit into the combat arena.