Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I have windows 11 on my work laptop which I can't get too wild about modifying

Windows 11 desperately wants to share boomer news with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The base windows “News” is yeah hilariously boomer. Mostly trump news and diets

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Lots of annoying headlines from businessinsider about why RTO was the only way too

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Only way I've found to stop updates is to rip the copper wiring out and actually rename/move/delete the processes that do the actual updates. Then disable/remove the services and all the tasks like UpdateMedicService and all that crap too. Unfortunately this stops all updates from happening, including the security updates which obviously isn't great. None of the methods you find on the net really work because MS is constantly changing things to try and stop you from disabling updates, and if even one of those services is still running it will re-download and re-enable everything else.

All this is a huge pain in the rear end and not really worth the effort or the loss in security, though I haven't tried those Enterprise editions that don't include all the bullshit updates so that'd probably be good.

Sordum.org has this thing called Windows Update Blocker, which has worked for me to counter an unruly set of update services in 10. Use judiciously of course.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Large Testicles posted:

wtf version of windows 11 are ya'll running where you're getting stupid poo poo like that? i've had it installed since it first came out and i have no problem with it

like did you pirate it and accidentally click a tick box that said "give me ads and scams when installing this?"

i continue to go back to Skill Issue but some of you sound like you're supposed to be computer touchers with the whole "i'm gonna install linux and keep it maintained" thing even though that's an extremely low bar

Just Search GPO, amirite?

I've admin'd Windows for a half of a decade and run some wild stuff locally, but to suggest that Windows makes the stuff they want to Not Be Touched discoverable is a loving joke, especially in modern systems. Yeah, if you know the rough shape of the problem and the names of all the things, you can generally cobble together the policy(ies) to make it do what you want, but it's hard to find and frequently hard to test.

Windows is actively antagonistic toward it's users these days and that definitely extends to configure-ability and the discoverability thereof. It's completely understandable that someone couldn't find the specific knob to turn to fix these kinds of issues. They are being actively obfuscated.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, for those working out how to make Updates not be a pain in the dick, this is what I use (W10). Updates are functionally manual - No auto-restarts. No auto-install. No notifications. You have to manually go into Windows Update and press the button. As said before, tread carefully with such things:

Under: Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Mercury_Storm posted:

Only way I've found to stop updates is to rip the copper wiring out and actually rename/move/delete the processes that do the actual updates. Then disable/remove the services and all the tasks like UpdateMedicService and all that crap too. Unfortunately this stops all updates from happening, including the security updates which obviously isn't great. None of the methods you find on the net really work because MS is constantly changing things to try and stop you from disabling updates, and if even one of those services is still running it will re-download and re-enable everything else.

All this is a huge pain in the rear end and not really worth the effort or the loss in security, though I haven't tried those Enterprise editions that don't include all the bullshit updates so that'd probably be good.

Lmao 15 years ago this was malware behavior.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why the gently caress is my basic operating system giving me news anyway? That's like a TV blasting adverts at you while you're using it as a monitor.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

evobatman posted:

Windows 11 just replaced my desktop wallpaper and added a "find out more about this image" shortcut on my desktop after the latest Windows update.

I've been a "LOL, Linux on the desktop, as if" guy for 25+ years and have always just turned off the telemetry and ad stuff in Windows 10 and 11, but this is making me look for an Ubuntu installer.

Go with Pop! OS, it's Ubuntu with some niceties and fixes. I have been using it since 2020.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Outrail posted:

Why the gently caress is my basic operating system giving me news anyway? That's like a TV blasting adverts at you while you're using it as a monitor.

first day in our corporate propaganda saturated cyberpunk dystopia?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Mercury_Storm posted:

... because you are the product.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

thathonkey posted:

all of my win 10 and 11 pcs rebooted overnight so they can get whatever the latest poo poo ms have shoveled into the os. woke up to cries of "the plex isnt working!" cause for some reason it retriggered part of the initial setup (which helpfully includes offers for more ms products) and couldnt autoboot through

i guess i need to turn off auto updates

My brother gave up on using windows for plex because of its habit to auto update.

Woolie Wool posted:

People complain about Linux being hard but installing and configuring even Arch would be easier than that, especially because it wouldn't try to stop you from doing it.

Linux is not and will never be the solution for every day computering. It's for smug nerds who want to feel superior and computer professionals (IT etc.). Like yeah it might be the backbone of something you use like the Steam Deck but for something people actual interact with and use? Lol.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Windows is actively antagonistic toward its users these days and that definitely extends to configure-ability and the discoverability thereof. It's completely understandable that someone couldn't find the specific knob to turn to fix these kinds of issues. They are being actively obfuscated.

TBF you do get this on the Linux side with the hardcore Gnome Foundation types of people. Not only is it getting increasingly harder to customize Gnome in any way, but this extends also to being able to customize very basic options for mouse/touchpad that you were able to do for years (the libinput fiasco). Additionally, things break pretty often over the years -- a Linux app might not work at all after a few years without maintenance, whether as source or binary, and features get dropped pretty constantly (i.e., bitmap font support in Pango). It's said the most resilient Linux applications are Win32 binaries that run on WINE.

Still better than Windows. macOS is pretty horrible now as well.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Duck and Cover posted:

Linux is not and will never be the solution for every day computering. It's for smug nerds who want to feel superior and computer professionals (IT etc.). Like yeah it might be the backbone of something you use like the Steam Deck but for something people actual interact with and use? Lol.
That's a you problem. I installed Ubuntu on my friend's parents' computer back in 2009. They were still using the same install for all their needs in 2019.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I'e been using linux for over 10 years and its been funny watching windows users experience the boiling frog phenomenom

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Why would I ever give up WIndows, I can get the weather on my task bar..

Oh its pure brainrot poo poo that wont open in my preferred browser :thumbsup:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2 dollars cash back on a 80$ purchase wow

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vampire Panties posted:

I use Edge on Linux :hehe:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You know how republicans won't admit to something being wrong because that would the same to admitting that they themselves are wrong? That's Linux users. That's you. Windows users know it sucks. Mac users to a lesser degree. Linux users? NO IT'S THE BEST THING EVER I WILL SUGGEST IT TO EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 13, 2024

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

That's a you problem. I installed Ubuntu on my friend's parents' computer back in 2009. They were still using the same install for all their needs in 2019.

op is Duck and Cover, this is his gimmick in every thread

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Duck and Cover posted:

You know how republicans won't admit to something being wrong because that would the same to admitting that they themselves are wrong? That's Linux users. That's you. Windows users know it sucks. Mac users to a lesser degree. Linux users? NO ITS THE BEST THING EVER I WILL SUGGEST IT TO EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING.

mad?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Vampire Panties posted:

way to dox yourself new jersey maaaan

love the 3 week old article featured on one of those panes

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yep. Turning green, not with envy but with Hulk rage.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Slotducks posted:

way to dox yourself new jersey maaaan

love the 3 week old article featured on one of those panes

thats just where my VPN lands :evilbuddy:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

op is Duck and Cover, this is his gimmick in every thread

Being right? Yeah weird gimmick I know.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

TBF you do get this on the Linux side with the hardcore Gnome Foundation types of people. Not only is it getting increasingly harder to customize Gnome in any way, but this extends also to being able to customize very basic options for mouse/touchpad that you were able to do for years (the libinput fiasco). Additionally, things break pretty often over the years -- a Linux app might not work at all after a few years without maintenance, whether as source or binary, and features get dropped pretty constantly (i.e., bitmap font support in Pango). It's said the most resilient Linux applications are Win32 binaries that run on WINE.

Still better than Windows. macOS is pretty horrible now as well.

I keep telling myself that Linux is one unit of DirectX from being my daily driver, but the reality is that it has it's own problems like this :P. I have admitted been outside the loop of Linux for a decade now, but I guess I'm glad to see that maintainers still can't get out of their own way to improve OS and would rather die on a philosophical ant hill then give an inch to make something better.

Even then, I think I can deal with the almost child-like bickering that seems to plague Linux development more then I can deal with whatever the hell nonsense Windows has been plagued with the last 4 years.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm a professional Linux "engineer" with multiple professional certs and over a decade of consulting experience. It sucks and I use windows at home and at work.

I tried using the latest fedora as a desktop OS this year and had that poo poo uninstalled is about 20 minutes.

Every OS sucks but if you just want to drink a beer and play your friends at helldivers windows is the way to go.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The only thing that really bothers me about windows is it’s insistence on using share point after using normal files for 40 years

And hiding things on right click context menus

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

euphronius posted:

The only thing that really bothers me about windows is it’s insistence on using share point after using normal files for 40 years

And hiding things on right click context menus

At this point maybe it's all gonna work out?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I hosed around a lot with Debian, Bodhi, Ubuntu, and Mint back in the mid-late 2000s and they were all surprisingly user-friendly, particularly the latter two. I'd imagine they're easier than ever nowadays.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I hosed around a lot with Debian, Bodhi, Ubuntu, and Mint back in the mid-late 2000s and they were all surprisingly user-friendly, particularly the latter two. I'd imagine they're easier than ever nowadays.

I started with Red Hat 6 as an actual child, before the towers fell, with only Windows 98 and 3.1 experience and it was fine, even with Gnome 1. Mandrake was even easier.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is it telling that IT orgs in larger companies will absolutely turn that poo poo off and apply updates selectively?

Every couple months it seems there's a trap patch that you'll be advised by MS to not install or remove.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

mawarannahr posted:

I started with Red Hat 6 as an actual child, before the towers fell, with only Windows 98 and 3.1 experience and it was fine, even with Gnome 1. Mandrake was even easier.

Yep cut my teeth on slackware. Then went to redhat. Then mandrake. Early 2000s mandrake might have been one of the most straightforward installs of my life. I was actually a little suspicious when it was done.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

I had the weather on my taskbar in KDE Plasma 6 years ago and when I click it it gives me a week's forecast instead of right wing sludge and stock prices :smug:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Outrail posted:

Right? I remember logging into my computer around Christmas and seeing a link at the login screen offering "great holiday gift ideas."

You're an operating system. gently caress off.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

Yep cut my teeth on slackware. Then went to redhat. Then mandrake. Early 2000s mandrake might have been one of the most straightforward installs of my life. I was actually a little suspicious when it was done.

Y'all are making me super thirsty to revisit Linux. I wish it had better support for music production; none of my preferred DAWs are very Linux-friendly and it doesn't seem like there are a lot of good native options.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
on my Win10 machine, I click on the taskbar time and I can see a display showing ticking seconds in real time.

on my Win11 machine, there is no way to monitor seconds, I had to dig into Control Panel and look for Date & Time or whatever

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
in the last couple of months I've noticed a change that on windows 10 when you install a printer, after going through the usual "add printer" motions, half the time the new printer will just hangout in the "other devices" section with a message that it is "being set up". I tried to learn a little about it and it's just the way it is now I guess. printers can take 10/20/30 minutes plus to install because gently caress you. This used to be a thing that would take 30 seconds.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What the gently caress is a printer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Basically every time I use my wireless printer on Win10 I have to reinstall it.

Luckily it is mostly automatic now and just takes 30 seconds.