Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean, thats the nature of the net as much as it sucks. i personally like discord because you can find lots of big and small safe habours and usually have a much more personal help and friendships and those groups have places on other bigger sites and people can share different things they find.

Funnily enough Discord is also partially owned by Tencent although their ownership stake is unknown. It's likely < 20% given some numbers I saw floating around but who knows.

Tencent owns a lot of minority stakes in companies that should be very worrying if Biden or Trump decides to turn Sauron's gaze on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

A Meatslab posted:

Wait, is there even a remote possibility that ByteDance successfully divests, TikTok USA finds another buyer, and continues day-to-day operations in a way imperceptible to the user base?

I'm forgetting the text of the bill. Does the new owner need to be US-based as well, or can it be an entity based in, say, Sweden or South Korea?

EDIT: Like, if the buyer was based in Ireland and subject to GDPR standards, would that fulfill the conditions necessary for continued operation in the US?

I would peg that as the overwhelmingly the most likely outcome

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Related story from the WSJ a few months ago:

Bytedance has taken some steps to protect U.S. data, but even when they are trying to prevent U.S. data from being accessed by the Chinese government, they are still unable to stop it. It also includes specific tracking of people who watch gay content and when it spun off its U.S. executive division they just moved executives from China there to run it.

So TikTok is actually trying to comply with the U.S. demands in some ways, but Chinese law and the company's structure are preventing it.

The article also has a good background about how TikTok has been on the radar of the E.U. and U.S. governments since 2017 and the technical difficulty of trying to just physically separate the servers.

quote:

TikTok Struggles to Protect U.S. Data From Its China Parent

TikTok said it has spent $1.5 billion building an operation intended to convince U.S. lawmakers that the popular video-sharing app is safe.

TikTok executives publicly promised to voluntarily wall-off American user data and bring in engineers and third parties to certify the app’s algorithm delivered content without interference from China, where its parent company, ByteDance, is located.

So far, TikTok is struggling to live up to those promises.

The special stand-alone unit, code-named Project Texas, oversees American data and content recommendations on its app.

In it, managers sometimes instruct workers to share data with colleagues in other parts of the company and with ByteDance workers without going through official channels, according to current and former employees and internal documents viewed by The Wall Street Journal. That data sometimes includes private information such as a user’s email, birth date and IP address.

Meanwhile, ByteDance workers in China update TikTok’s algorithm so frequently that Project Texas employees struggle to check every change, and fear they won’t catch problems if there are any, the people said.

TikTok has promised to supply employees in Project Texas with laptops and software owned by their separate unit instead of ByteDance, but for many of them the new devices were slow to arrive. Some workers are worried their ByteDance-owned devices and tools aren’t secure.

TikTok’s struggles within its Project Texas unit illustrate the challenge it faces protecting U.S. data across a global social-media app. While it doesn’t appear that there is any government effort in China to access U.S. user data, it shows TikTok’s system is porous.

Project Texas leaders have promised changes. In a December memo viewed by the Journal, they told workers that they planned to roll out new tools for sharing data and communicating with colleagues. They also reminded employees of the rules around data sharing.

A spokeswoman for TikTok said in response to questions for this article that it is “voluntarily implementing our plan to protect U.S. user data.”

The spokeswoman said the app’s U.S. algorithm is stored with its American partner, Oracle. She said the algorithm is trained on U.S. user data and supervised by employees within the unit, which is officially called TikTok U.S. Data Security, or USDS. “Over the past year, we took the unprecedented step of granting Oracle full access to our source code and algorithm,” she said.

After the Journal reached out to TikTok for comment, the company accelerated its delivery of laptops to employees.

The data-handling issues are the latest concern for TikTok employees, some of whom fear the social-media giant isn’t honoring its pledge to protect American users. TikTok employees previously raised complaints when TikTok tracked users who watched gay content, and when a string of executives transferred from ByteDance’s Beijing headquarters to top roles at TikTok in the U.S.

TikTok launched Project Texas to assuage lawmakers, who are concerned about its ties to the Chinese government, and to build trust with the app’s more than 150 million users.

TikTok has been in negotiations for several years with an executive-branch panel called the Committee on Foreign Investment in the U.S. over whether it can remain in the country, but it hasn’t reached an agreement. TikTok has repeatedly said it doesn’t share data with the Chinese government.

Project Texas is a challenging undertaking: TikTok has to separate American user data from the rest of the company so that U.S. data and content recommendations exist beyond the reach of the Chinese government. American data would only leave the unit in rare instances and in aggregated form.

TikTok embarked on a campaign to sell the plan to lawmakers, civil-society organizations and users. The company published a video about Project Texas with animated pictures and a catchy soundtrack aimed at young people.

TikTok Chief Executive Officer Shou Zi Chew also touted the plan in congressional testimony in March 2023.

“The bottom line is this is American data, stored on American soil by an American company, overseen by American personnel,” Chew said. “This eliminates the concern that some of you have shared with me that TikTok user data can be subject to Chinese law.”

More recently, amid legal victories and lobbying from TikTok’s U.S. backer, pressure on the company from Washington has eased.

With Project Texas, “I’m skeptical that TikTok’s efforts here ever had any value,” said Jacob Helberg, a member of the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, a congressional research and advisory panel, who has organized a bipartisan, bicoastal alliance of China hawks.

TikTok started work on Project Texas in early 2021, and by early 2023, the unit had walled off U.S. user data. In the months leading up to Chew’s testimony in Washington, TikTok enforced a strict separation between the unit, which has about 2,000 employees, and the rest of TikTok.

Project Texas employees were only allowed to share the user data outside of the unit if it was aggregated and important for the functioning of TikTok’s app, and they couldn’t save the user data to their computers.

This put many of the employees in Project Texas in a difficult position: they relied on tools that only functioned with data that they could download to their computers. Without the ability to save the data, they couldn’t do their jobs.

Some employees raised these concerns with their managers, according to people familiar with the conversations. The employees worried that if they paused their work, the company would put them on performance-improvement plans. But continuing their work broke the rules.

TikTok’s app operates all over the world, except for in China, where ByteDance offers a different version of TikTok. The algorithm that powers TikTok is developed by ByteDance in Beijing.

TikTok executives have said internally that they sometimes need to share protected U.S. data with ByteDance to help train the algorithm, or with employees outside Project Texas who work on keeping problematic content off TikTok, according to people familiar with the unit.

Meanwhile, Project Texas employees in charge of reviewing TikTok’s software were instructed to inspect TikTok’s code for signs of Chinese interference before allowing updates.

The Project Texas workers soon found a mountain of code waiting for them to verify each morning. Under pressure to work quickly, employees found the task to be impossible without more personnel, according to people familiar with the unit. Meanwhile, TikTok’s algorithm is incorporating a growing number of updates that the Project Texas team hasn’t run through a review.

TikTok has said Texas-based Oracle—the inspiration for the unit’s name—is monitoring all the data that leaves Project Texas and is also checking every line of code in the app’s algorithm for suspicious changes.
But Oracle doesn’t monitor the data employees share with each other over TikTok’s internal messaging tools, according to people familiar with the data-sharing.

Project Texas started to informally roll back some of the data-sharing rules last spring. Managers told employees that they actually could save data to their computers, and that there would be exceptions to the requirement that they could only share data in aggregate.

Now many of the Project Texas data protections have devolved into what one employee called “a wink and a nod.” Other employees say Project Texas officially still prohibits sharing user data except in rare instances. But the instructions some employees receive conflict with that stance.

One Project Texas executive recently told employees that TikTok workers outside of Project Texas are tired of hearing “no” when they ask for U.S. user data.

In the December memo to employees, managers said they planned to launch a special version of ByteDance’s internal messaging system just for Project Texas employees. Workers in the unit hope this means ByteDance won’t be able to access their data.

“Protected data should never be shared with Global TikTok or ByteDance colleagues,” the emailed warned.

Employees say ByteDance managers continue to request U.S. data.

https://www.wsj.com/tech/tiktok-pledged-to-protect-u-s-data-1-5-billion-later-its-still-struggling-cbccf203?mod=followamazon

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 13, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Well precisely. That's the thing that's very telling about the 'tiktok ban'; it seems, from our perspective, unmoored from any reality. "It's Chinese, therefore bad" is dumb on its face yet somehow its garnered bipartisan support. If it were really about digital privacy or international media influence you'd think a more finely crafted law witch targeted the real issue, instead of laser focusing this one specific app. This is personal to these people, there's no other explanation.

I have to wonder how much of it is because nobody in congress uses TikTok and therefore all of their information comes from briefs.

The only way it seems completely unmoored is if you haven't been paying attention to any mainstream politics since 1949 or so. Since the day the Chinese Civil War ended, the US has regarded China as a dangerous geopolitical adversary, and concerns about Chinese espionage have grown considerably in the last decade or two as more and more US electronics have been built on Chinese hardware and software, and especially in the last eight years since Trump blew up US-China relations.

Seriously, do people not remember when a high-altitude balloon drifted over the US and it was national news for days, while Republicans proclaimed that it was an open threat from China against the US and that Biden was being a weak communist sympathizer by not immediately shooting it down?

koolkal posted:

This is the relevant portion (minus the weird "review" website exception section lol) and it appears pretty clear cut to me (not a lawyer though).

Either way, I don't see why one would go after the messenger. We have the text of the bill available.

Well, that text says quite clearly that it's wrong. And Massie (or whoever tweeted that on his behalf) probably knew that full well, based on how obviously they cropped out the parts that contradict his narrative.

The reason I'm going after the messenger is because the messenger is the one making these incorrect claims, and the messenger in this case has negative credibility so no one should be taking claims from him at face value.

Potato Salad posted:

I suppose I intrinsically see this as a suppression tactic against the overwhelming support TikTok content creators post for things like Starbucks unions spreading, the occasional victory for healthcare access in a purple state, this slow expansion of things like free school lunches in a couple of states, etc. Others insist that it is genuinely about a sober discussion about domestic versus foreign media ownership, despite the conversations in Congress recently suggesting very strongly that that is not the case.

I do not know how to come to common ground with somebody who cannot see through what I believe is a fig leaf of national security necessity draped over what is yet another opportunity to bash a community of leftward thinking people, queer people, disabled people etc that got too popular for the comfort of conservative and even some centrists.

Roughly a quarter of the entire global population uses Tiktok. It's not by any means a leftist space. There are leftist spaces on Tiktok, of course, and at times they can become quite prominent - but that's true of many other platforms, including pretty much every social media platform except maybe Gab and Truth Social. What little data exists about their partisan split suggests that the Tiktok community as a whole is not particularly progressive. For example, Pew Research found that GOP-leaners are almost as likely to use Tiktok as Dem-leaners are, and that the userbases of Reddit and Linkedin leaned significantly more blue than Tiktok did. Granted, "do they lean Dem?" is not the same question as "do they lean left?", but it's a reasonable enough proxy.

As for people posting about Starbucks unions, healthcare access, and Gaza, I see people posting about that poo poo on every social media platform I frequent, all the time. Even Twitter, despite the new ownership there.

Also, there's considerable historical evidence for the US concerns about the reach and influence of Chinese-owned companies in the US, the US concerns about data privacy and general ethics in Chinese-owned companies, US concerns about Chinese espionage via a variety of means, and so on. A common way of finding common ground is to rely on such evidence. The "fig leaf of national security" you mention is something that lawmakers have been quite concerned about for the last couple of decades, and concerns have increased significantly following Trump's anti-China posturing and the subsequent cooling of US-China relations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't think TikTok will just be quietly sold to an american and if it is, I think it's safe to assume it will fundamentally change. I don't think Chinese ownership is good but I do think it is different, and the things that have kept minority groups at the edges of other platforms are fundamentally american. It ill be viewed with suspicion if nothing else.

It is safe to be skeptical of TikTok; I again want to emphasize that I do not think they are a 'safe' platform, they are vulnerable, but they are also not a pipeline for Chinese propaganda because if it was we'd already see that happening. Why Congress is suddenly being motivated by a potential propaganda concern is a bit strange, particularly with this degree of speed and agreement. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. But I do think it's fairly obvious that 'yeah geez, China sure could use TikTok for bad stuff' is not the motivating factor. Either it's personal, or they view the discussion happening there already to be propaganda (pushes for national healthcare and trans rights is obviously communist), or they know something I don't. And if it's the latter, I really don't trust the government to clandestinely affect my life.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I also want to point out something about one of TikTok’s supposed strengths. And I want to preface it by saying that I actually buy the argument that the ban really is about spying concerns.

Yes, TikTok has well developed minority, lgbt+, etc communities, because it is extremely effective at siloing people based on what they watch, how they interact, and how long they watch.

For the exact same reason, they have well developed right wing communities, supporting all sorts of terrible poo poo. You just don’t see it because TikTok silos everyone so effectively.

So it’s very much a double edged sword.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Magic Underwear posted:

What exactly do you think will happen to those communities if tiktok is forcibly sold to an American company?

Same thing that happens with every American social site that gets big: the "algorithm" gets "worked on" and mysteriously promotes yet more and more right wing content down everyone's throats regardless of whether they show up for it, threatening the safety of the other communities there. Hardened veterans who can take the heat may leave a presence behind, but everyone else will pick up and move, again, again, again, again.

Compaction cycle. "We are working to improve the algorithm to promote fairness...." yadda yadda. Seen it, what, almost half a dozen times by now. Same result.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 13, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Potato Salad posted:

Same thing that happens with every American social site that gets big: the "algorithm" gets "worked on" and mysteriously promotes yet more and more right wing content down everyone's throats regardless of whether they show up for it, threatening the safety of the other communities there. Hardened veterans who can take the heat may leave a presence behind, but everyone else will pick up and move, again, again, again, again.

Compaction cycle.

The TikTok algorithm in America was already handed over to be co-managed by Oracle in early 2023.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I also want to point out something about one of TikTok’s supposed strengths. And I want to preface it by saying that I actually buy the argument that the ban really is about spying concerns.

Yes, TikTok has well developed minority, lgbt+, etc communities, because it is extremely effective at siloing people based on what they watch, how they interact, and how long they watch.

For the exact same reason, they have well developed right wing communities, supporting all sorts of terrible poo poo. You just don’t see it because TikTok silos everyone so effectively.

So it’s very much a double edged sword.

Oh sure. My argument is not 'TikTok is leftist', it is 'TikTok is a place where these groups gather.' The fact you can open your phone and see someone who looks like you, talking to you about political issues you care about, is unique to that space. Yes, you can try to hunt down a youtube contributor or a subreddit that delivers things you care about, but you have to find and vet them. To say nothing of the fact that reddit and youtube are aging platforms.

It is absolutely as horribly nazi as it is delightfully gay, no question. That still doesn't mean one should do away with it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mendrian posted:

they are also not a pipeline for Chinese propaganda because if it was we'd already see that happening.

This seems wildly naive

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The TikTok algorithm in America was already handed over to be co-managed by Oracle in early 2023.

We both know this is not about Project Texas and Larry Ellison's stake.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Riptor posted:

This seems wildly naive

Evidence?

I mean, this time around there aren't even proverbial satellite photos of WMD sites. There's nothing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Potato Salad posted:

We both know this is not about Project Texas and Larry Ellison's stake.

It's a different thing from Project Texas. It's not just the data storage, the U.S. version of TikTok has explicitly had it's own separate algorithm since early 2023.

quote:

The spokeswoman said the app’s U.S. algorithm is stored with its American partner, Oracle. She said the algorithm is trained on U.S. user data and supervised by employees within the unit, which is officially called TikTok U.S. Data Security, or USDS.

“Over the past year, we took the unprecedented step of granting Oracle full access to our source code and algorithm,” she said.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Riptor posted:

This seems wildly naive

Possibly, but I think it's a bit alarmist to pass legislation on an unfalsifiable claim. "TikTok is brainwashing us so subtly we can't even tell it is happening" is, you know, a position, but I would again argue this level of speed and motivation would make a lot more sense if they were targeting media tools that already have a known track record.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Representative Thomas Massie, says the law is very broad and might be used against websites any President wishes to ban, not just TikTok like apps.

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1767540941378744586

Hope he's very wrong.

Remind me why you would ever take Thomas Massie, let alone any Republican, at their word.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mendrian posted:

Oh sure. My argument is not 'TikTok is leftist', it is 'TikTok is a place where these groups gather.' The fact you can open your phone and see someone who looks like you, talking to you about political issues you care about, is unique to that space. Yes, you can try to hunt down a youtube contributor or a subreddit that delivers things you care about, but you have to find and vet them. To say nothing of the fact that reddit and youtube are aging platforms.

It is absolutely as horribly nazi as it is delightfully gay, no question. That still doesn't mean one should do away with it.

The nice part about Tiktok right now is that you aren't thrown in front of a firing line of far-right extremists just for being gay, where elsewhere that conflict drives wild engagement at your expense.

That is the creeping safety problem with every other American social media site that gets too big. The Algorithm Gets Worked On For Trust and Safety, here is your new bottomless pool of rightwing agitators coming at your community nonstop.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Mendrian posted:

Possibly, but I think it's a bit alarmist to pass legislation on an unfalsifiable claim. "TikTok is brainwashing us so subtly we can't even tell it is happening" is, you know, a position, but I would again argue this level of speed and motivation would make a lot more sense if they were targeting media tools that already have a known track record.

I mean how do you think propaganda works, generally?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Angry_Ed posted:

Remind me why you would ever take Thomas Massie, let alone any Republican, at their word.

Yeah that seems like a pretty solid body of language specifically scoping to foreign non-review-or-travel websites, plus anyone who serves as the ISP of a foreign-owned non-review-or-travel website. He may not have read the literal words he screenshotted.

Riptor posted:

I mean how do you think propaganda works, generally?

Yep. Can't even tell if he knows or if he didn't even read the drat bill.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Potato Salad posted:

The nice part about Tiktok right now is that you aren't thrown in front of a firing line of far-right extremists just for being gay, where elsewhere that conflict drives wild engagement at your expense.

That is the creeping safety problem with every other American social media site that gets too big. The Algorithm Gets Worked On For Trust and Safety, here is your new bottomless pool of rightwing agitators coming at your community nonstop.

i mean thats kinda the same as youtube though. its gotten way way easier to prune your content feed ove the last couple years, eepically if you pay for the subscription or just use ad block. i rarely see chud poo poo.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I feel the bipartisan support of the TikTok legislation comes from being able to sell it both ways to both sides. You can tell establishment liberal types it's "national security" and they'll think military industrial complex, propaganda sources, integrated circuits with built in backdoors etc. etc. You can tell right wing populists "national security" and they'll hear "filthy chi-comm furriners infecting our pure, innocent youth through the internets!"

Do agree that even if it is an actual no-poo poo case of both sides, Americans are stupid and at the end of the day Biden has -D behind his name so that's where the buck will mentally stop with the public.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean thats kinda the same as youtube though. its gotten way way easier to prune your content feed ove the last couple years, eepically if you pay for the subscription or just use ad block. i rarely see chud poo poo.

Yes, and its also possible to harden the hell out of your Twitter algo if you are extremely vigilant about it and use keywords extensively. That's a ton of work though, just to escape the neonazis domestic social media sites seem compelled to send after your rear end in the name of "fairness."

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

How do you know gay people aren't being put into right wing feeds to drive engagement on Tiktok?

Like, the core of the Tiktok experience seems extremely passive compared to twitter/reddit/SA. The comments on any Tiktok video also clearly skew right wing, it's loving nuts.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zachack posted:

How do you know gay people aren't being put into right wing feeds to drive engagement on Tiktok?

Like, the core of the Tiktok experience seems extremely passive compared to twitter/reddit/SA.

because social media is talked about CONSTANTLY, griped about CONSTANTLY, and has been for YEARS in my community circles

tiktok is drat welcome because it hasn't used various minority statuses to drive right-wing engagement -- the "attack degens, redpill normies" playbook

i assure you this isn't coming out of my rear end in the prior 24 hours or even this side of the turn of the decade.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Also in terms of propaganda my very limited opinion based solely on my random feed is that there is a very clear bias in promoting clean, productive, sometimes agrarian videos of Chinese crafts and also promoting the idea that South Asians have no food safety, are dangerous countries, etc. Almost as if China has a beef with India!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

because social media is talked about CONSTANTLY, griped about CONSTANTLY, and has been for YEARS in my community circles

tiktok is drat welcome because it hasn't used various minority statuses to drive right-wing engagement -- the "attack degens, redpill normies" playbook

i assure you this isn't coming out of my rear end in the prior 24 hours or even this side of the turn of the decade.

But how would you know when the overall system is so passive, at least on phone? The comments section seems basically useless compared to every other platform.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zachack posted:

But how would you know when the overall system is so passive, at least on phone? The comments section seems basically useless compared to every other platform.

I think you will find that it is less passive than you'd expect, at first. There's a lot of activity in comments, and people follow response/stitch chains quite deep quite often.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Caros posted:

This is from like a page back but what you were responding to is colloquially known as a joke.

Sorry, sometimes it's hard to tell what is and isn't a joke online especially in relation to politics and political beliefs.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Especially when a very basic reading of the actual bill and not his carefully cropped version would tell you that he is lying through his teeth.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

From the sound of things, it's coming out of purely anecdotal accounts that fail to understand just how incredibly diverse user experiences can be on platforms with hundreds of millions of users that are designed specifically to silo those users into wildly different experiences.

My experience with other social media sites has, apparently, been very different from yours. This is, incidentally, why hard data and large scale studies are worth a lot more than individual personal experiences. It doesn't make any sense at all to make massive sweeping claims about the overall ideological balance of a site with a userbase larger than the entire population of the US.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Main Paineframe posted:

From the sound of things, it's coming out of purely anecdotal accounts that fail to understand just how incredibly diverse user experiences can be on platforms with hundreds of millions of users that are designed specifically to silo those users into wildly different experiences.

My experience with other social media sites has, apparently, been very different from yours. This is, incidentally, why hard data and large scale studies are worth a lot more than individual personal experiences. It doesn't make any sense at all to make massive sweeping claims about the overall ideological balance of a site with a userbase larger than the entire population of the US.

once again, the suppressed communities are left to shoulder the burden, because we can't say for sure with six sigma of certainty that the attacks are real

Man, do you think all our lives are completely online? That there's zero real churn and contact between regional communities of queer and other people? The collective queer and disabled experience online must be lacking a larger context, despite all evidence year after year after year, community after community, locally nationally and across the globe tend to experience the same things?

cmon

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 13, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote is not edit, my bad

Edit: actually, I do have a follow up post: there's a huge community of queer/trans people here on SA, and I am starting to wonder if there's a reason I'm largely not seeing a ton of us in this thread.

it sure is tiring, and its barely been one day for me

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 13, 2024

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Pew has come up a few times, and I saw that they saw a significant shift in public opinion against a TikTok ban in 2023.

First one from late March
Second one from late September

The biggest shifts were among non-users and older groups. March of last year was when the bill was introduced and Biden started talking about this course of action, but I'm not sure what changed in the interim.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

bird food bathtub posted:

I feel the bipartisan support of the TikTok legislation comes from being able to sell it both ways to both sides. You can tell establishment liberal types it's "national security" and they'll think military industrial complex, propaganda sources, integrated circuits with built in backdoors etc. etc. You can tell right wing populists "national security" and they'll hear "filthy chi-comm furriners infecting our pure, innocent youth through the internets!"

Do agree that even if it is an actual no-poo poo case of both sides, Americans are stupid and at the end of the day Biden has -D behind his name so that's where the buck will mentally stop with the public.

It’s pretty easy to guess why Republicans would be willing to give the president the power to ban websites they don’t like in advance of a presidential election they’re the favorite to win. This is a massive gift to Trump.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Potato Salad posted:

quote is not edit, my bad

Edit: actually, I do have a follow up post: there's a huge community of queer/trans people here on SA, and I am starting to wonder if there's a reason I'm largely not seeing a ton of us in this thread.

it sure is tiring, and its barely been one day for me

bringing this up in another space I'm being told "yeah simply don't post in D&D" and I guess i'm the idiot for coming here and sharing the lived experience of queer people on american social media as cannon fodder to Make Number Go Up

quote:

Riptor posted:

This seems wildly naive

Evidence?

I mean, this time around there aren't even proverbial satellite photos of WMD sites. There's nothing.

I'm kinda happy leaving it here, where there's still precisely 0 evidence substantiating the public narrative of the bill's passage today being about national security, with some posters believing that the inner narrative fits a darker, long-running pattern of cudgeling certain communities and some posters not beliving that to be so. China feels dangerous in this specific case, and some take that as enough evidence that Tiktok dangerous. Also all despite one poster having the wherewithal to point out that the Texas Project for domestic hosting and opening sources on how Tiktok works is already operational.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 13, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

bringing this up in another space I'm being told "yeah simply don't post in D&D" and I guess i'm the idiot for coming here and sharing the lived experience of queer people on american social media as cannon fodder to Make Number Go Up

i mean as someone who is disabled, i obviously can't speak for everyone who is disabled, but i feel like alot of disabled folks just like being part of different communities and stuff. I dont join groups about my disibility or disability activism, because that stuff gets really messy often and gets stacky and filled with drama that gets personal and scary. i feel like alot of folks often try to get their comfort from other communities like fandoms or political groups or hobbiest groups because those places feel welcoming. Dnd for all of its issues and disagreements i have over policy with folks has always felt safe to me at least with disibility stuff, id say maybe try finding hobby groups and such, there are tons with large safe LGBTQ communities.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id say maybe try finding hobby groups and such, there are tons with large safe LGBTQ communities.

got plenty for me and mine, the advice wasn't exactly solicited but it is welcomed in the spirit it was offered.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

got plenty for me and mine, the advice wasn't exactly solicited but it is welcomed in the spirit it was offered.

yeah. i am sorry if i came off as a dick, wasnt intending too.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If not for Tik Tok I probably would have never heard an Atarashii Gakko! song and you know what? They're pretty good.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Push El Burrito posted:

If not for Tik Tok I probably would have never heard an Atarashii Gakko! song and you know what? They're pretty good.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
I feel like it’s bad for a country to ban an app or website that isn’t expressly hosting illegal content. The internet should be free and all that, it’s my computer. Seems like it would have a tough time getting past 1A issues anyway, from what I read. They should just pass expansive data protection laws if they want em kicked out (lol)