Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

jaete posted:

Wait, why is she suspended?

She said some harebrained poo poo implying only black people could really truly feel discrimination.

Which I mean maybe she had a point? Like a passing thing? I dunno. Which is why I wouldn't really get involved.

Starmer though desperate to decorbynify jumped on it as an easy reason for a bunch of white blokes to expel a black lady for racism.

And now he's attempting to have his cake eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

I do honestly wonder if there isn't some perverse attraction to being told to gently caress off by the plebs. Like they get deference in the rest of their life so they're unable to really deal with someone just telling them to eat a dick.

People are disagreeing with me and I don't like it = They are bad people and they are being nasty

Bad people are being nasty = I am, by contrast, good

Lots of people are being nasty to me in quite a big number = Wow, I must be brilliant

Narcissism all the way down, basically

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

People are disagreeing with me and I don't like it = They are bad people and they are being nasty

Bad people are being nasty = I am, by contrast, good

Lots of people are being nasty to me in quite a big number = Wow, I must be brilliant

Narcissism all the way down, basically

Too long for a thread title

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Wachter posted:

Who are these maniacs chopping up fibre cables?! That'll release even MORE toxic 5G into the atmosphere!!!:psyduck:!

Doesn't surprise me. I was working in telecoms during the pandemic and at least once every few weeks we'd have a team return to site after abandoning an install due to threats of violence from local residence thinking they were installing 5G.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bessantj posted:

ChatGPT is trained on about 10,000 dad jokes.
reply to the following as if it were a joke setup: what do you call 10,000 dad jokes?

ChatGPT posted:

A “dad-a-base”! 😄

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Doesn't surprise me. I was working in telecoms during the pandemic and at least once every few weeks we'd have a team return to site after abandoning an install due to threats of violence from local residence thinking they were installing 5G.

I have had over 10 visits from BT Openreach or affiliates to install my fibre to the home. 3 months of gradual incremental deadline drift. I haven't yet resorted to violence. I and thinking about renting the Stihl saw myself and cutting up the pavement

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

It's doubly crazy because the data released by ruptured fibre is far more concentrated and dangerous than the gaseous 5G. It's more like 10G

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Answers Me posted:

Imagine being an actual billionaire and spending all day on twitter. I can’t wrap my brain around it

If I were a billionaire, I would simply day drink until I got cirrhosis, then pay a poor person to donate their liver to me and rinse and repeat. Twitter wouldn't get a look-in.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Post transplant drugs aren’t really worth that, I would probably do the whole blood doping thing that would work better.

And I agree, if I was a billionaire and likely long before that I would have retired to some lovely place, have somewhere in the alps for skiing, a nice house in a warm area for the rest of the day and I would spend my time relaxed, looked after and shitposting.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nuclear Spoon posted:

for JKR to really affect anything in terms of sales she'd have to start going full holocaust denial. which admittedly wouldn't be a surprise given her current trajectory
Nah. I know people who are into Potter, and the best you get out of them is "Oh, that's a shame" *continues funding Jowling's castle*

You get a fiercer reaction from them when she says stuff like Hermione was black than you do out of her worst political nonsense.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I mean if they don’t bat an eyelid over Cho Chang and the Irish kid who is “good at explosives” there isn’t much that can help with that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Sunak's grown!

Does this count as 'manipulation'? Or is it just the camera angle? :thunk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Still strange though, as Rosie Duffield did that on GBNews and didn't even apologize and she still hasn't been, so I suspect that there is some other factor within the NEC.

I agree that it is kind of bizzare even if you take the position that she should be suspended, to then campaign on how unfairly maligned she has been.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The US is having a bit of a media frenzy about William and Kate. It was limited to just gossip shows and sites, but now the Washington Post has chimed in with this:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 13, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

all hail the magic rock

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Does anyone know of a good way to help someone deal with anxiety about something that is very real? Usually I would offer support and help explaining how it's not going to happen. But how do you help someone who is facing discrimination and hatred in a way that is very real.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

don't be afraid to admit you're not the best person to help someone and direct them elsewhere.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Does anyone know of a good way to help someone deal with anxiety about something that is very real? Usually I would offer support and help explaining how it's not going to happen. But how do you help someone who is facing discrimination and hatred in a way that is very real.

Very easy to jump in with 'help' - the "solve the problem" mindset (I was very guilty of this - try very hard not to these days).

First try to establish whether the person wants 'help' (from you) or a shoulder to cry on or an ear to just listen & give tea & sympathy.

If they do want help try to figure out what kind of help - help to find a suitable professional / union / lawyer / police person / whatever is suitable in the circumstances or something different?

If they don't want help, just a friend with an ear or a shoulder, try to resist temptation to jump straight into 'solving the problem' mode. "If I were you..." or anecdote mode "When that happened to me .... " (something I'm also very guilt of). Attempts to express empathy or sympathy with a similar event in your own life can come across as 'making it about me'.

Whatever happens if you do give advice and they don't take it, that's perfectly normal and their choice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Rishi Sunak and the nomes discuss what to do with a salad grater they have found.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Rishi Sunak and the nomes discuss what to do with a salad grater they have found.

"The disability claimant processor 2000" - powered by AI

* Rachel Reeves likes this

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fair play to him for not doing the desantis heels, honestly

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
probably an obvious thing they're doing already or have already looked into, but if it's discrimination/hatred towards a specific group then it might be possible to find groups nearby either just supporting each other or actively campaigning/doing something. like it doesn't have to be immediately overthrowing the government, even small orgs helping out or mutual aid kind of things can both actually help and also help you emotionally by making you feel less helpless. this of course massively depends on what's in their area and what their capabilities are.

this answer of course comes from my own experiences As A Trans - even if the national government is shite on trans stuff I can still try to find trans people I know and try to do what I can, even if that's just saying hi and being another trans person in the room as we help each other feel less alone in transness. this doesn't completely destroy my worries about the state of the country of course, but it can make a dark day a little bit less so.

e: I realise on reading back this is more advice for the other person than for you specifically. On that front I don't have much good advice beyond what Jaeluni said

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My fiance is a trans woman and a peer supporter at a local trans group but is just finding it very difficult at the moment as we are going through a, let's use a polite euphemism, "rough time" with the way things are politicallyt the moment. I am being supportive and listening when she wants to talk and she is okay with me just listening, and being listened to but I feel very helpless and don't know what else I can or should do.

I don't know how to help and it is something I wish I could assist with. She knows I'm going to be posting this, but I just don't know how to help more.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

sounds like you might be doing exactly the right thing and just keep doing that and not worry about poo poo you can't solve

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not to be funny but it sounds like you might be in need of a little anxiety help yourself.

I don't know that you can ever really do "enough" for someone you love when they're struggling. And yeah it does really loving hurt to be in that position because you do feel like you should be doing more.

But, as with anxiety, an important thing I think to keep in mind is that dwelling on it yourself isn't necessarily going to improve the outcome, and in fact can make things worse.

I know it sounds stupid but if your soon-to-be-mrs knows that you're there if she needs you and you can lend a sympathetic ear, there may not really be much more you can do. Ultimately you can't really do much about the poo poo she has to deal with and the pressure she's under, not any more than being a positive force in her life anyway I don't think. It's likely just as hard for her not to feel the weight of it as it is for you to keep your worry for her under control. And if she knows you're worrying that's going to worry her as well no doubt. To that extent, if you're able to break that cycle and be a steadier, calm presence then that might be more helpful for her than making yourself sick trying to think of the solution to the state of the world.

I mean, if she wants to yell about it ITT I'm sure she'd be welcome. But yeah otherwise I dunno that there is the solution you probably want.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 14, 2024

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Josef bugman posted:

My fiance is a trans woman and a peer supporter at a local trans group but is just finding it very difficult at the moment as we are going through a, let's use a polite euphemism, "rough time" with the way things are politicallyt the moment. I am being supportive and listening when she wants to talk and she is okay with me just listening, and being listened to but I feel very helpless and don't know what else I can or should do.

I don't know how to help and it is something I wish I could assist with. She knows I'm going to be posting this, but I just don't know how to help more.

About the only thing is learning to manage your own discomfort.
That sounds harsh, so I'll explain.

Your fiance (and you) are facing a large scale real world problem. And unless you are secretly Charles Xaiver, you can't fix institutional transphobia in England.

What you can do is continue to provide support, compassion, and love for your partner. That's what she wants.

Now I know you feel like you could be doing more, but realistically you can't. The only thing you can do is try to understand why it makes you uncomfortable and how you can deal with that.

Or you can try to find some way to activate your latent X-gene and hope you get a really cool mutant power.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

Have a read of this article, might help you to be more comfortable:

https://www.reallifecounselling.com/partner-emotional-support/

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Dianne Abbott stood up 46 times during PMQs, and was ignored by the speaker while they discussed racism and death threats directed at her. I knew she had stood up and was ignored, but 46 times!?!

https://twitter.com/implausibleblog/status/1768039676424687742

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 14, 2024

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Josef bugman posted:

If there's a clear and real source for the emotion, sometimes the only thing to do is concede that they have reason to be anxious and support them as best you can. It's not something that can be be fixed, because in this context the mental health issues aren't really an illness, they're a very reasonable response to the world around them. If you're lost in the woods surrounded by hungry predators you'd naturally feel anxious, but that's not going anywhere until you're no longer in danger, and nor should it. This isn't any different.

Imo the best thing you can do is avoid sugar coating or dismissing the issue, offer an empathetic ear, and make clear you will help however you can. It's not going to stop the problem, but may go some way to creating an environment where people can engage with their feelings more effectively, work out which ones are grounded in reality and which ones aren't, and hopefully (though not necessarily) lean into that productively.

This is actually one of my bugbears with psychological approaches like CBT (mind out the gutter lol). They individualise everything and encourage people to essentially internalise an acceptance of the sources of their anxiety, when in reality stuff like financial precarity, political instability, climate change etc etc are things we absolutely should be anxious about, because if we're not we're going to be eaten, so to speak, and the list is exponentially longer for ethnic minorities, LGBT+ people, etc.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Otoh, as someone who suffers from a lot of climate anxiety, yes the anxiety is logical and has a tangible external source, but there's also absolutely nothing to be gained by constantly worrying about it, as there is literally nothing I can do about it. So then the only sensible thing to try to do is just not think about it/internalise it, and just accept that there's this constant shadow over every moment of my life :classiclol:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
As someone who has had a severe anxiety disorder for years at a time at different points in my life, one of the single most important things I've gotten better at through reflection, meditation, and therapy is learning to tolerate discomfort and anxiety and not let it dominate my life. Whether it's career anxiety, health anxiety, getting in a fight with my partner, dealing with family drama, etc., being able to distance myself from the feelings provoked by discomfort and accept that such experiences are not an aberration from how life should be but simply another facet of life has been immensely helpful.

It takes a lot of energy and effort to get there, but it can be done.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

As someone who has had a severe anxiety disorder for years at a time at different points in my life, one of the single most important things I've gotten better at through reflection, meditation, and therapy is learning to tolerate discomfort and anxiety and not let it dominate my life. Whether it's career anxiety, health anxiety, getting in a fight with my partner, dealing with family drama, etc., being able to distance myself from the feelings provoked by discomfort and accept that such experiences are not an aberration from how life should be but simply another facet of life has been immensely helpful.

It takes a lot of energy and effort to get there, but it can be done.

:same:

great post :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Convex posted:

:same:

great post :)

Also :same: no notes

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Gove has been dying on the morning interview rounds

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1768191411130642899
https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1768196619584094322
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1768196318617334268
https://twitter.com/darshnasoni/status/1768204511884013786
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1768183710422016490

:allears:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If I'm going to mainline a bunch of gove clips I'm definitely going to need to finish my coffee, maybe do some limbering up

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

If I'm going to mainline a bunch of gove clips I'm definitely going to need to finish my coffee, maybe do some limbering up

Definitely have a couple of lines first

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Gove is such a wriggly little toad of a man and about as textbook an example of a politician not answering the question put to them as it gets. Glad he's getting dragged and pinned a bit, not that he'll ever give a gently caress, the weasel.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
LMAO the end of that second clip

Okay that was worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

frytechnician posted:

Gove is such a wriggly little toad of a man and about as textbook an example of a politician not answering the question put to them as it gets. Glad he's getting dragged and pinned a bit, not that he'll ever give a gently caress, the weasel.