Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Marsden CWT #2
- Suffers a Commander Hit!

Excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
...we are hiring, right?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

LaSquida posted:

...we are hiring, right?

I should hope so! How far does Sharpshooter transfer anyways? Same unit? Vehicle to any Vehicle? Vehicle to Mech?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Marsden CWT #2

:laffo:

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
That's the best way to gain an SPA: by punching someone. *eyes Prodigal's 1/3 of an SPA*

Battlemaster

I think this turn is basically the same as the last one for me: walk to 1811, which puts me at 3 range from the LAM, which I think is optimum dakka. Orders in.

I will be very sad if the LAM manages to hurt Elrika.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Rifleman

Standing still and firing the big guns at the LAM again. Not worried about an ammo explosion since my bins are empty anyway :v:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Elrika's already my new favorite. Can we keep her? :allears:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hoplite

Oh hey, taking advantage of me standing with my back to it.

Doesn’t change my course of action, though keeping all three lasers on it is risky if it gets a fortunate hit location .Can’t get a better defensive mod short of walking into the woods.

Let’s hope this isn’t a trade.

Orders in.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

AJ_Impy posted:

Hoplite

Oh hey, taking advantage of me standing with my back to it.

Doesn’t change my course of action, though keeping all three lasers on it is risky if it gets a fortunate hit location .Can’t get a better defensive mod short of walking into the woods.

Let’s hope this isn’t a trade.

Orders in.

Don't forget, the rear firing arc is wider than the rear hit zone. At your current location, he's actually hitting your right side, but your rear laser can still hit him.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Vanigo posted:

Don't forget, the rear firing arc is wider than the rear hit zone. At your current location, he's actually hitting your right side, but your rear laser can still hit him.

Even better. Before last round the rear armor was thicker than the front, the reverse is now true.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nicely done Goons! And yay for more possible employees!

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know if hiring is exactly what we'd do, though I guess "want to get off this iceball? congratulations, you've been impressed into the SLDF" is similar.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They seem pretty impressed already

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

[Shooting End Phase]
Marsden CWT #2

lmao

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Orders in. LAMin' time!

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I know we're basically only able to do this because we had the mandate of the SLDF to support the locals in the first place and broadly won them over by being helpful after their local BattleMechs bit it, but all this "are we hiring" talk just has me imagining if a merc unit had pulled this plan off and captured a fake-SLDF DropShip. And not just fake-SLDF, but well-equipped fake-SLDF. What a wild thing it'd be.

I have no idea what we'll do with it as SLDF, aside from crawl over it for evidence of what's going on.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

We're going to realize that we're out of docking collars to secure the evidence and leave it to the locals as pay.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

propatriamori posted:

I have no idea what we'll do with it as SLDF, aside from crawl over it for evidence of what's going on.

The best part is, Star League Defense Fakes shares the same abbreviation!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

TheParadigm posted:

The best part is, Star League Defense Fakes shares the same abbreviation!

Decoy Fakes, surely?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Sham League Decoy Fakes?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Sham Liar Decoy Fakes

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

propatriamori posted:

I know we're basically only able to do this because we had the mandate of the SLDF to support the locals in the first place and broadly won them over by being helpful after their local BattleMechs bit it, but all this "are we hiring" talk just has me imagining if a merc unit had pulled this plan off and captured a fake-SLDF DropShip. And not just fake-SLDF, but well-equipped fake-SLDF. What a wild thing it'd be.

Honestly I think capturing a dropship reasonably intact would make the SLDF very happy with us and give us a bit wider of a leash for the investigation. Getting a new, significant piece of military infrastructure equipment will make the boss rather happy and hopefully give us a resupply and an extension of our mandate.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Yeah. I'm genuinely curious what the SLDF doctrines on things like salvage, impressment, and seizure look like. A big part of the Battletech aesthetic is that materiel is rare, things are falling apart, and infrastructure isn't functioning on a galactic scale. What changes when you're a colonial army that can still manufacture warships if you want to make the investment? Obviously, the goon detachment is out in the middle of nowhere on a sneaking mission with no real support so we're presumably operating under relaxed rules, but presumably there are some.

Complicating things, the locals bled for this operation and are gonna want a slice of the pie. I expect that's gonna be something we've got to handle with the next vote.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 13, 2024

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Given the circumstances (we are presumably going to continue to prosecute a war against whoever's Dropship this is--Kurita? someone posing as Kuritans?), if we get to keep the ship I propose we name it "Return to Sender"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Octatonic posted:

Yeah. I'm genuinely curious what the SLDF doctrines on things like salvage, impressment, and seizure look like. A big part of the Battletech aesthetic is that materiel is rare, things are falling apart, and infrastructure isn't functioning on a galactic scale. What changes when you're a colonial army that can still manufacture warships if you want to make the investment? Obviously, the goon detachment is out in the middle of nowhere on a sneaking mission with no real support so we're presumably operating under relaxed rules, but presumably there are some.

Complicating things, the locals bled for this operation and are gonna want a slice of the pie. I expect that's gonna be something we've got to handle with the next vote.

Given that the salvage is still extremely expensive, and can still be used even if it's just as spares for other machines, I imagine the SLDF still wants a crack at any choice salvage first. They can always auction off the stuff later if they want to. I can also see local commands deciding that perhaps salvage can simplify their supply train in many areas.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Given that the salvage is still extremely expensive, and can still be used even if it's just as spares for other machines, I imagine the SLDF still wants a crack at any choice salvage first. They can always auction off the stuff later if they want to. I can also see local commands deciding that perhaps salvage can simplify their supply train in many areas.

I'm guessing there will be some level of vote on things for what the locals want/what we give them/barter with them. I'm pretty sure we (likely) don't have the personnel to man a second dropship beyond a skeleton crew if even. Hopefully we could at least put a crew in place to hold the fort/send it back home to exchange for goodies down the line - I also can't see the SLDF liking it remotely if we let a group of townies on an ice planet have a pretty major piece of logistics infrastructure that don't even field mechs, just crewed vehicles.

Speaking way far ahead here (and likely totally wrong) I'm guessing we'll have to vote on making a deal with the locals for what they want out of the things we disabled, then whether to send the dropship back 'home' with the promise of things down the line for it or giving it to the locals to have for a much bigger share/selling it to someone else on the planet for a payout.

Given we're Clanners rather than Mercs I'd think that we'd likely try and keep it and send it 'back' but that's kinda a bit far ahead.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
We're what now?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Strobe posted:

We're what now?

"Future" clanners, maybe, if they choose to follow Kerensky into exile?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

wedgekree posted:

I also can't see the SLDF liking it remotely if we let a group of townies on an ice planet have a pretty major piece of logistics infrastructure that don't even field mechs, just crewed vehicles.

They used to field mechs but then their ArchBanshee HammerMaster got kerploded

OOO! OOO! we could cobble together another godawful frankenmech for them! There's lots of parts strewn all around here!

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Let's turn the Stalker into an ostrich by grafting a LAM torso where its head was.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

propatriamori posted:

They used to field mechs but then their ArchBanshee HammerMaster got kerploded

OOO! OOO! we could cobble together another godawful frankenmech for them! There's lots of parts strewn all around here!

There's probably enough LAM wings lying about to make them a LAM X-wing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

wedgekree posted:

I'm guessing there will be some level of vote on things for what the locals want/what we give them/barter with them. I'm pretty sure we (likely) don't have the personnel to man a second dropship beyond a skeleton crew if even. Hopefully we could at least put a crew in place to hold the fort/send it back home to exchange for goodies down the line - I also can't see the SLDF liking it remotely if we let a group of townies on an ice planet have a pretty major piece of logistics infrastructure that don't even field mechs, just crewed vehicles

There is certainly precedent

why yes I have been reading Honor Harrington novels, how did you know?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Well yes but in -theory- we're not privateers! We're freelance troubleshooters and problem solvers!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

wedgekree posted:

Well yes but in -theory- we're not privateers! We're freelance troubleshooters and problem solvers!

... I thought we were in the SLDF, not freelancers? Are you thinking of the other battletech thread?

Prize money was also awarded to military members for captures, not just to privateers.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Volmarias posted:

... I thought we were in the SLDF, not freelancers? Are you thinking of the other battletech thread?

Prize money was also awarded to military members for captures, not just to privateers.

I stand corrected! Was thinking given we were using the cover of mercenaries. More you know!

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

We're not using any cover, we're SLDF. The other guys are also claiming to be SLDF.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I finished painting a thing:

It's not BattleTech related, but I want to give a little more time for (probably) final orders to come in.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not BattleTech related, but I want to give a little more time for (probably) final orders to come in.

Nope, nope, I'm safe.

Okay, so Eye of Horus. Birds, so that'd be Tzeentch. The colours look more Slaanethy. And weapon-overkill is very Khorne-flakes.

What House is this?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Oh, I haven't played 40k since... 4th edition? I got frustrated by the way Games Workshop releases codexes and WYSIWYG has always bothered me.

I just wanted to paint a big model, and it had enough parts that I could kitbash it with itself. And painting something that's BattleMech scale at 28mm sounded fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh gosh I *adore* the rainbowing. that looks so good