Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

JawnV6 posted:

What's a mono-blue wincon that isn't drawing the deck out?

Metallurgic Summonings and any spellslinger enabler in the command zone

Orvar and Hullbreaker Horror with a hand full of poo poo that can target hullbreaker

Khanstant posted:

Martin Lage

, Attorney at Law

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've only played Deadeye Navigator a couple times, and usually when it resolves and nobody has removal for it, everyone just groans and people start conceding.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A Moose posted:

I've only played Deadeye Navigator a couple times, and usually when it resolves and nobody has removal for it, everyone just groans and people start conceding.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 13, 2024

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Silhouette posted:

Metallurgic Summonings and any spellslinger enabler in the command zone

Orvar and Hullbreaker Horror with a hand full of poo poo that can target hullbreaker

Oh it's Jin-Gitaxias, dodging his taxes. I pulled a bunch of Omniscience and rather than let them collect dust in my trade binder I wanted to cast it. Cheating it out with The Great Synthesis is a blast.

Copying Hullbreaker's amazing, I wanna try that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Orvar, hullbreaker and one copy of hullbreaker makes every spell in your hand that can target hullbreaker into a remand/boomerang that copies hullbreaker and returns to your hand

Edit: the bullshit factor is amazing, because then that spell is two boomerangs and two more copies of hullbreaker, then five, then six, and at that point everyone else has scooped because you had build-a-rift workshop going on that bounced all their poo poo and also created an army of lobsters

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 13, 2024

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

You can also use Tidespout Tyrant if you wanna bounce lands too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

GOOD LORD, THAT PREORDER PRICE

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Silhouette posted:

Orvar, hullbreaker and one copy of hullbreaker makes every spell in your hand that can target hullbreaker into a remand/boomerang that copies hullbreaker and returns to your hand

The spell can't return to your hand, because Hullbreaker specifies spells you don't control because of this kind of thing

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The spell can't return to your hand, because Hullbreaker specifies spells you don't control because of this kind of thing

? Hullbreaker has two modes, bounce opponents permanents or return your own permanents to hand.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Secret Machine posted:

? Hullbreaker has two modes, bounce opponents permanents or return your own permanents to hand.

Not sure if this is a typo/joke but... no?

quote:

{5}{U}{U}
Creature — Kraken Horror
Flash
This spell can’t be countered.
Whenever you cast a spell, choose up to one —
• Return target spell you don’t control to its owner’s hand.
• Return target nonland permanent to its owner’s hand.

I've bounced my own permanents to rack up infinite storm, but they're correct that it specifies spells you don't control.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I bought my third Commander deck, the Mutant Menace deck from the Fallout set. I want to try the barebones precon first a couple of times before upgrading it. I am looking into upgrading it in the future, and I brewed up an upgrade deck and just want some opinions.

The precon deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pCvY-119rESrwMOO6goxjg

My upgraded deck (cuts are in sideboard): https://www.moxfield.com/decks/9nrZ4EwXKU6LWwEOGm8YTg

I'll have to buy a few things, but most stuff I already own, including the pricy stuff like Vorinclex, Ozolith, and Soul Cauldron. I wanted to use stuff to improve on the use of the +1/+1 counters and the milling. I felt the precon missing any form of graveyard hate was a big flaw since it uses rad counters, and that can just help opponents who utilize their graveyard. That's why Soul Cauldron and Scooze are in there along with Voidwalker to utilize milled Cards. Ozolith is just a nice piggy bank for counters on dying creatures.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. This is just a first draft of a deck idea.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Preorder prices don't mean poo poo. That's just one dude who's listed it on tcgplayer and picked a random number

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I played vs 3 other guys and we all played the 4 precons. I played mothman and it hosed poo poo up, honestly. The ceasar player started popping off out of nowhere around turn 4 and became the threat for awhile, but the science player switched out the commander for liberty prime and that poo poo was pretty scary until it was dealt with. Mothman won out of the box just from being able to put so many counters on everything and it has a couple of ways to double counters. Dogmeat deck was the weakest showing, but it also got a lot of good cards milled from rads lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Preorder prices don't mean poo poo. That's just one dude who's listed it on tcgplayer and picked a random number

Yeah, I realized after the fact when I checked and there were four listings total, two of them being foil. I'm hoping that's like a $6 card at the most.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Waffleopolis posted:

I bought my third Commander deck, the Mutant Menace deck from the Fallout set. I want to try the barebones precon first a couple of times before upgrading it. I am looking into upgrading it in the future, and I brewed up an upgrade deck and just want some opinions.

The precon deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pCvY-119rESrwMOO6goxjg

My upgraded deck (cuts are in sideboard): https://www.moxfield.com/decks/9nrZ4EwXKU6LWwEOGm8YTg

I'll have to buy a few things, but most stuff I already own, including the pricy stuff like Vorinclex, Ozolith, and Soul Cauldron. I wanted to use stuff to improve on the use of the +1/+1 counters and the milling. I felt the precon missing any form of graveyard hate was a big flaw since it uses rad counters, and that can just help opponents who utilize their graveyard. That's why Soul Cauldron and Scooze are in there along with Voidwalker to utilize milled Cards. Ozolith is just a nice piggy bank for counters on dying creatures.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. This is just a first draft of a deck idea.

Here's my mothman deck I just put together but haven't had a chance to play against other people with. A lot of this stuff was from an old deck I took apart and then slapped things into:

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/gOTA5pHlo0SVLXwlfuO2_Q

I leaned away from proliferate because it relies on things having counters on them already and opted for ways of getting a shitload of +1/+1 counters on things quickly. Also payoffs for putting the counters on things. For graveyard hate I opted for stealing poo poo from people's graveyards as opposed to exiling them. Still kinda on the fence between beledros witherbloom and rise of the dark realms for that big mana spot. There's a backup infinite with mindcrank and bloodchief ascension that takes a bit of setup but both those cards work super well by themselves. Because the deck is pretty mana hungry there's a decent bit of green ramp. There's a few pet cards and things I kept in for flavor, like mystic reflection and irenicus's vile duplication. Still haven't figured out what to cut for elixir of immortality or other ways to shuffle the graveyard back into the deck to prevent accidentally milling yourself out. It's not a huge priority because my actual self mill deck, the Mycotyrant, goes absolutely hard on self mill and has only ever decked itself out once in the many games I've played with it, so I don't think it's an issue here

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Hizke posted:

I played vs 3 other guys and we all played the 4 precons. I played mothman and it hosed poo poo up, honestly. The ceasar player started popping off out of nowhere around turn 4 and became the threat for awhile, but the science player switched out the commander for liberty prime and that poo poo was pretty scary until it was dealt with. Mothman won out of the box just from being able to put so many counters on everything and it has a couple of ways to double counters. Dogmeat deck was the weakest showing, but it also got a lot of good cards milled from rads lol

This doesn’t surprise me; IMO Dogmeat is cool but needs the most upgrading to make it more resilient.

I played two games with upgraded Dogmeat last night and won one of them by making Dogmeat impossible to deal with outside of mass exile or -X/-X effects. It also helps to draw Grim Reaper’s Sprint at the right time that you can slam the most threatening player twice and kill them with commander damage.

I just pulled Mothman and The Master in the same booster, so now I guess I gotta build that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
After really thinking about it, I've realized that while the Fallout decks are both better in general and of a more consistent power level to each other, I think Doctor Who was a more worthwhile set to have happen, and a more interesting one as a result.

I think that if there's a benefit to Universes Beyond as a play experience rather than just a marketing thing, it's that they allow the designers to play in a completely different space, and get weirder than usual. And Doctor Who was great for that; they went nuts with really unusual creature design, went high-concept on what effects to reuse like 'what if we tried to modernize suspend as a playstyle', and getting weird with stuff like a nonlinear Saga. But it's also not completely off on its own as a weirdo thing; I suspect paradox is a keyword idea they'll return to, and there's clearly some cards prodding at ways to make design-unfriendly effects like cascade; I wouldn't be surprised if some of those 'exile then cast' effects were prototypes for what became discover. The result is that the set's all over the drat place in power level and utility, and is kinda hard to 'rank' next to other commander decks, mostly because it was genuinely trying to get clever with it.

Meanwhile Fallout's decks and new cards are really good, but they're really good in ways that Magic kind of already has. Yeah, Dogmeat's a pretty good Naya enchantment/equips deck... but that's not really a new thing, Naya loves that poo poo normally. Same with Caesar and the usual Mardu operating procedures. Energy counters coming back is neat, but not really surprising nor exclusive to Fallout (and the fact we suspect the same of junk tokens in Bloomburrow says something about them, too). Really the only thing that's really getting weird and interesting is rad counters, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's Mothman's precon that's either price-jacked or sold out in Australia.

I feel like you could reskin every new Fallout card not related to rad counters to not be a Fallout card, and they'd all be completely inconspicuous in a standard set. And that just feels like a wasted opportunity.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Elder Scrolls would have been a much better cross-promotion. Unfortunately, that's not the one with Amazon's marketing team behind it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dogmeat should have been a companion. It’s UB, you can bring the weird stuff back.

I would have also accepted partner, but less enthusiastically.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Aphrodite posted:

Dogmeat should have been a companion. It’s UB, you can bring the weird stuff back.

I would have also accepted partner, but less enthusiastically.

What if we split the difference and did Doctor's Companion?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm surprised I haven't done a marvel crossover yet or DC

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

ah gently caress, brain fart

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

JawnV6 posted:

Not sure if this is a typo/joke but... no?

I've bounced my own permanents to rack up infinite storm, but they're correct that it specifies spells you don't control.

Ahh my mistake, I should know better since I have Hullbreaker in my horrors deck.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Marvel's coming in a year or two. I think after Final Fantasy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Don't worry, we'll be flooded soon https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/the-magic-the-gathering-marvel-collaboration-begins

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I'm actually surprised they're doing it, since Upper Deck used to do the VS System TCG (Marvel and DC) and now does VS System 2PCG which is an LCG.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Hasbro will not be happy until they have drawn all of their 90s competitors into MTG.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
And in classic Hasbro fashion, they hop onto an IP over a year after it becomes irrelevant. Yeah, I know a lot of that is just the infinite delays negotiating deals like this but it really is funny.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

And in classic Hasbro fashion, they hop onto an IP over a year after it becomes irrelevant. Yeah, I know a lot of that is just the infinite delays negotiating deals like this but it really is funny.

Yeah, I remember being somewhat baffled by the first Walking Dead Secret Lair. It was more like "Oh yeah, that comic/show that was popular a few years back, are people still into this?"

And then the hilarity of Baldur's Gate being released long before BG3 was properly released and not just in open beta...

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

There's gonna be so many Cloud Strife and Sephiroth decks.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Order now a song of ice and fire secret lair. Play reanimation stompy with Mountain and Maester Qyburn. Or Bran who focuses on foretelling and mine controlling your opponents creatures. Or Arya with a brand new mechanic, partner with equipment. Pair her with Needle or her iconic Plot Armor to win the day.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm sincerely excited about the final fantasy set

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Honestly, I loved the 40k and Fallout precons. I'll skip the sets that don't interest me like Marvel or Doctor Who.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hasbro will not be happy until they have drawn all of their 90s competitors into MTG.

I'd be legit excited about a World of Darkness set, ngl

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, I was pretty down on the Doctor Who set off the bat. But the more I read over the cards, the more I enjoy how weird they went with it and how they tried to retool a lot of mechanics to create different types of synergies.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm sincerely excited about the final fantasy set

Same. I'm not a huge Final Fantasy guy but I recognize a lot of the characters just from reading LPs of the games and such. Fingers crossed that we get a Gilgamesh card- ideally as a creature so I can actually build a commander deck around him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

serefin99 posted:

Same. I'm not a huge Final Fantasy guy but I recognize a lot of the characters just from reading LPs of the games and such. Fingers crossed that we get a Gilgamesh card- ideally as a creature so I can actually build a commander deck around him.

Gilgamesh is perhaps the one UB character best suited for being a planeswalker.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

Honestly, I was pretty down on the Doctor Who set off the bat. But the more I read over the cards, the more I enjoy how weird they went with it and how they tried to retool a lot of mechanics to create different types of synergies.

I rebuilt the Timey Wimey deck and it's a loving riot to play

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Where's the Dragon Ball UB set at? I want to equip :goku:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Marvel may be a little late, but don’t underestimate how much people like superhero stuff. One of my good friends is stoked out of his mind for the Marvel sets. And he’s one of those who got into it largely from the movies rather than coming in from comics. It will still be huge.