Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Maybe it could be introduced as a feature at higher stake levels where the playerbase will be less casual?

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe it could be introduced as a feature at higher blind levels where the playerbase will be less casual?

Yeah, I took his preferred approach to the game, but now that I'm on orange stake it's like, goddamn do I want a scoring preview mod

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

He’s 100% right.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

The moment they add a preview score checkbox though, you're intentionally hobbling yourself to not click it. Sure, theoretically some players might enjoy the suspense enough to play on no-preview mode, but realistically nearly everyone is going to use the tools available to optimize their gameplay.

So as the dev said: that's a change they could make to the game, but it changes their vision for the game. I don't know that making it an "option" is bing bong so simple.

I think I like the game more without preview- and I know that if preview was available I'd use it anyways because I want to optimize. It's not an "option" for me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You're hobbling yourself by not clicking "unlock everything" too but I'd bet a bunch of players (including this son of a bitch right here!!!!!!!!!!) didn't click it.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

MJeff posted:

You're hobbling yourself by not clicking "unlock everything" too but I'd bet a bunch of players (including this son of a bitch right here!!!!!!!!!!) didn't click it.

Honestly that's a decent point, but without overanalyzing I feel like there's a difference between "opt-in/out of metaprogression" and "opt-in/out of gameplay efficiency tool".

I also recognize people are working on 3rd party calculators, and I'll never use one... Bit again, difference between "minmax brain worms gonna optimize this with a calculator" and "minmax brain worms gonna use the in game tool".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
A mod for it seems like a pretty reasonable compromise. Seek it out and add it to the game if you want, don't if you don't.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MJeff posted:

I personally am fine with just holding my cursor over X and watching the score like a hawk and closing the game if it isn't enough.

Disgusting

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I like watching the funny cards wiggle and numbers ding up :3:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Waffle! posted:

I like watching the funny cards wiggle and numbers ding up :3:

:yeah:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

What's the best deck to try for the 100,000,000 chips unlock

edit: and if it's plasma........what's the second best deck

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

loving christ, I haven’t won a run in forever. I just don’t get the jokers I need, even on the most recent Switch version. The only consistent way to get past further antes is to pivot into stacking x-mult jokers and scaling plus-mult jokers on top of enhanced mult or retrigger cards. That can be a tall fuckin order.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Maybe it could be introduced as a feature at higher stake levels where the playerbase will be less casual?

Honestly I'd be happy with just a "fuzzy" approximation, like "we think this combo will give a higher score" without having it try and break down that combo A gives me 100k but combo B gives 120k.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Color Printer posted:

What's the best deck to try for the 100,000,000 chips unlock

edit: and if it's plasma........what's the second best deck

Painted Deck with hold-in-hand effects can do this pretty reliably (steel cards, Shoot the Moon, Mime, Baron)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Before balatro was out people were talking about how you needed chips, +multi and xmulti and then it turns out xmulti can substitute for either of the others just fine

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

Before balatro was out people were talking about how you needed chips, +multi and xmulti and then it turns out xmulti can substitute for either of the others just fine

For ante 8 runs I'd still say you want a combination of chips/+mult/xmult as the most reliable way to get across the finish line. If you're looking for endless scores then yeah you just want to mash the xmult button as much as you possibly can.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You need like, a small amount of +multi but turns out you can get that from planet cards just fine

Or mult cards, or holographics, really

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
You can go hard on xmult for ante 8 runs if you have a lot of planets or a really really fat xmult (like Baseball joker). Planets basically substitute for chip/flat mult jokers, but heavier on the chip side. I've started prioritizing foil/polychrome/holo jokers a lot more now, I'll even do skip tags for those early. I roll as much fortune tarot as I can when I see it - it's not enough to scale with a high level hand, your engine needs to be fairly independent of your draws since it's hard to modify the deck in bulk once boosters get more expensive.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Xmult mid or post hand (steel cards, ancient joker) is easier to come by and can be more powerful than than joker triggered xmult like throwback. So Mult that triggers during the hand (shoot the moon, 4Mult suit jokers) can be much better than flat joker mult (misprint, joker).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's gotta come from somewhere, that's all. Holo playing cards are ideal since they kick in before card-based xmult like steel, but you're not always going to get enough of either of those things fast enough to be decisive for ante 8. Holo jokers are also great, although they won't do much if you're leaning on glass/polychrome/steel cards. But if you wind up with 2-3 holo jokers then you probably don't have to care very much about +mult jokers, except maybe card-trigger ones if you want to rack up mult before steels go off.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

At first I couldn't believe this wasn't enough to win, but it wound up being something I couldn't believe couldn't take Ante 12. (It definitely could have had I really poured the gas on the Campfire. I hate that you can't preview Small Blind stakes and have to remember it. One of the worst parts of the game, IMHO.)

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Were you just juicing the gently caress out of campfire with rerolls?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Veryslightlymad posted:

At first I couldn't believe this wasn't enough to win, but it wound up being something I couldn't believe couldn't take Ante 12. (It definitely could have had I really poured the gas on the Campfire. I hate that you can't preview Small Blind stakes and have to remember it. One of the worst parts of the game, IMHO.)

This is low-key one of the biggest flaws in the game.

When you beat the boss, you advance to the next blind. On higher stakes, this means Booster Packs will start costing more. But you can't see the next set of blind, including the next boss blind. So you get the punishment of being on the next blind without getting the benefit. Pretty cringe!

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

DrHammond posted:

Were you just juicing the gently caress out of campfire with rerolls?

Yeah if you get income campfire will just carry you wherever. I'm surprised he got to ante 12 without finding something to replace the gold mask joker and the mult/chips one though- there's likely way better choices out there that can be rolled in.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I just had two back-to-back agonizing losses doing challenge runs.

For the first, I had essentially eliminated every non-face card in the deck and had Sock and Buskin, Baron, Baseball Card, etc. Final Boss was The loving Plant

For the next, I forgot to move a Glass card to the right to get the most out of the x2 multiplier and finished with 99,970 points.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Roseo posted:

Yeah if you get income campfire will just carry you wherever. I'm surprised he got to ante 12 without finding something to replace the gold mask joker and the mult/chips one though- there's likely way better choices out there that can be rolled in.

My only run to ante 13 was with “The Rich Get Richer” challenge. I doubled a polychrome Campfire and also had a Blueprint. I was playing High Card and finishing with a seven figure multiplier.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

the holy poopacy posted:

Similarly, this is a great answer that I think speaks a lot to why the game wound up being so good:
Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I mean, this game is all about optimization. I'm not sure if it's fun for people to lose cause they couldn't figure out if they should have played XZYV or XZYP.

That said, showing exact chip payout might encourage players to do a ton of extra fiddling trying to figure out what play makes that number the biggest on every single move, so iunno.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Sounds like a great way to make the game boring

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Insert bell curve meme with the nerd crying about optimizing your score in the middle and the two guys on either end saying lol just play whatever and watch the number go up

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think this itself is an example of that. I'm pretty much happy yoloing it, but the uncertainty isn't really adding anything to the experience for me. The more important point to me is the underlying philosophy that it demonstrates--the fact that he is willing to do something potentially unpopular to fit his vision of what he wants from the game means that he is willing to do the same elsewhere.

I think a better example is that there are a number of economy jokers that could theoretically be eligible for blueprint et al to copy, but aren't. There's already enough juggling your joker positions to maximize blueprint, you don't need more.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MJeff posted:

This is low-key one of the biggest flaws in the game.

When you beat the boss, you advance to the next blind. On higher stakes, this means Booster Packs will start costing more. But you can't see the next set of blind, including the next boss blind. So you get the punishment of being on the next blind without getting the benefit. Pretty cringe!

Yes it would be nice if after beating a boss blind you could then check what the next blind scores are going to be in the store to prepare better.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sounds like a great way to make the game boring

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Insert bell curve meme with the nerd crying about optimizing your score in the middle and the two guys on either end saying lol just play whatever and watch the number go up

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I have one voucher left and one legendary joker to finish my collection.

I got both on the same run!!!

Turns out challenge runs don’t count towards collections. What the gently caress

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i'm left feeling something like how noita works [/i]("person who has only played modern roguelike noita: sure get a lot of noita vibes from this")[/i], where it gives plenty of information about how your wands and spells work (stats, mostly) but doesn't actually provide information on how they resolve until you fire/cast it; similarly, balatro gives you the basic information, but not the outcome, until you choose.

that's a fun concept of risk, and removing it would make the game a lot more boring. not much excitement in seeing the numbers tick up when you already know where it's going

i'd like to see a mod (or option :haw: ) that just gives you more everything (slots, limits, whatever) and (maybe) easier difficulty. not necessarily a pure sandbox, but just something intentionally broken -- in the player's favor

also i got my first win today. got lucky with "spades/clubs and hearts/diamonds are treated as the same suit" with a deck consisting of 90% diamonds/hearts and a bunch of xMult from vampire and card sharp

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Hmm, no jokers for sale, I guess I might as well open a tarot--can get a head start on boosting my deck, maybe pull a random joker or get some extra money...

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Sadly, it doesn't do anything cool, just scale the blinds to 100/150/200.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

the holy poopacy posted:

Hmm, no jokers for sale, I guess I might as well open a tarot--can get a head start on boosting my deck, maybe pull a random joker or get some extra money...

holds R fug dis