Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
If they're banning tiktok because some of its users support Palestine, why are they willing to settle for ByteDance selling it? Seems like a bit of a cop out

new page so here's Republicans being in disarray

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1767877865612124257

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

koolkal posted:

Either it took 7 years for them to get this bill together and get the logic right for the house to vote yes on it overwhelmingly

If essentially did, there's a history of bills which would have banned the platform entirely introduced by both Dems and Republicans that were poorly received due to overreach. Additionally, marginal acts like the ban on installations on government managed devices and investigatory executive orders have been passed along the way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RESTRICT_Act

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_TikTok_on_Government_Devices_Act

https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-congress/house-bill/1081/text?s=3&r=1&q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22anti+social+ccp+act%22%5D%7D

https://apnews.com/article/hawley-tiktok-ban-senate-bill-blocked-dc504ad560b949bd11e2970afd3669dd

There have been investigations about spying on journalists:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/doj-fbi-are-investigating-tiktok-allegations-employees-spied-journalis-rcna75497

Whether the I/P conflict gave it the final nudge is basically impossible to say but it's not accurate to say that this hasn't been going on for a while with some level of bipartisan support. It's just that this one is much easier to swallow because it doesn't technically ban it like basically everything else that was proposed.

E: ⬇️ looks like I/P may have given it a little boost but most of those people were already in for it anyway

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 14, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

James Garfield posted:

If they're banning tiktok because some of its users support Palestine, why are they willing to settle for ByteDance selling it? Seems like a bit of a cop out
The people looking to buy TikTok are all right wing billionaires

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

All our concerns will be alleviated when it's bought by an American and Chaya Raichik is made head of trust and safety. No Chinese influence anymore, just good old fashioned American values.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Crows Turn Off posted:

Are any Republicans or Democrats in the House or Senate stating the Israeli-Palestinian issue as the reason for its success this time?

Not disagreeing here exactly, just curious since we really only have hypotheses at this point.
They just added the P-I stuff to the sinophobia red scare.
Fetterman did.
Hawley, rubio, and Blackburn did too.

Crows Turn Off posted:

And how would forcing a sale to another company solve that?

The hope is the usa tik tok will be sold off to a more malleable tech company that is willing to push the propaganda the government wants. Similar to how Facebook and X currently work by pushing acceptable views and weighing down or banning other views.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 14, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really feel like this should require evidence. Or alternatively, it's not realistically falsifiable, unless a billionaire who is not right wing (and Soros jokes aside, good luck with that) or a not right wing company expresses interest.

There's also the possibility of tiktok spinning off as a subsidiary, and while I don't know the presumably expensive and annoying process there, you haven't posted evidence that you do either.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Goatse James Bond posted:

I really feel like this should require evidence. Or alternatively, it's not realistically falsifiable, unless a billionaire who is not right wing (and Soros jokes aside, good luck with that) or a not right wing company expresses interest.

There's also the possibility of tiktok spinning off as a subsidiary, and while I don't know the presumably expensive and annoying process there, you haven't posted evidence that you do either.

A subsidiary wouldn't work under the terms of the bill, it would still be under Chinese control. Remember, the bill defines all people and companies in China as part of the government for the purposes of foreign control.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

The one potential buyer I’ve heard about is Bobby Kotick, a sex monster who is a Republican.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ex-activision-ceo-bobby-kotick-wants-to-buy-tiktok-report-2024-3?amp

Does that meet the standard?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bobby Kotick and Rumble with a consortium of backers have both expressed interest in purchasing usa tiktok. Both of these groups are often considered "right-wing".

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Also Kevin O'Leary, former candidate for head of the Conservatives in Canada, bitcoin aficionado, Shark Tank investor, etc.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 14, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Mr Hootington posted:

Bobby Kotick and Rumble with a consortium of backers have both expressed interest in purchasing usa tiktok. Both of these groups are often considered "right-wing".

Who else is in the consortium of backers? I can't see Kotick by himself or Rumble having anywhere near the ~$100 billion valuation of TikTok. Even if they got a hefty discount because they were desperate to sell and only had to fork over ~$50 billion, that is a huge ask for a tiny and unprofitable social media app.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean the terms give TikTok an extremely short turnaround. It's kind of impossible to say who would buy it but I can't imagine it would be anybody cool.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Who else is in the consortium of backers? I can't see Kotick by himself or Rumble having anywhere near the ~$100 billion valuation of TikTok. Even if they got a hefty discount because they were desperate to sell and only had to fork over ~$50 billion, that is a huge ask for a tiny and unprofitable social media app.

Don’t you think they’d be putting forward less obviously odious fascist stooge types as their faces for the deal if they had any they could dig up?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

They could potentially spin it off as a public company with an IPO as well.

E: byte dance at least has said kotic has not talked to them according to a Bloomberg translation of a post they made:

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/ip-law/bytedance-denies-its-been-approached-by-potential-tiktok-buyers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The consortium hasn't been revealed. Rumble just said they had backers to help them buy usa TikTok.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

FlamingLiberal posted:

A right wing billionaire bought twitter a year and a half ago and there's still plenty of pro Palestine content there. Tiktok is bigger than twitter, so it's probably harder for moderators to delete all the pro Palestine content.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mendrian posted:

I mean the terms give TikTok an extremely short turnaround. It's kind of impossible to say who would buy it but I can't imagine it would be anybody cool.

that's a pretty strong point actually, there wouldn't necessarily be a lot of time for someone other than the mentioned people or whatever the rumble thing is to slap something together (unless bytedance can figure out how to create a valid spinoff which is possible and waaay beyond my expertise)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

selec posted:

Don’t you think they’d be putting forward less obviously odious fascist stooge types as their faces for the deal if they had any they could dig up?

I wasn't thinking about it from a PR perspective. I meant that Rumble has nowhere near enough money to buy TikTok, so they must have a huge amount of people or very rich people behind them to have a realistic shot.

That is one of the real issues with any potential sell off of TikTok. Very few people have enough money to purchase TikTok and the few that do, like Meta, have serious antitrust issues that might prevent them from being able to even make an offer. That is part of the reason why a sale is slightly more complicated than it looks on paper.

Mr Hootington posted:

The consortium hasn't been revealed. Rumble just said they had backers to help them buy usa TikTok.

Thanks. I hadn't even heard that Rumble was making an offer, but they either have some secretive major financial backers lined up or they are just making a wild play because their entire company is worth less than few hundred million, so they can't be putting up more than a tiny fraction of any possible sale money.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 14, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

James Garfield posted:

A right wing billionaire bought twitter a year and a half ago and there's still plenty of pro Palestine content there. Tiktok is bigger than twitter, so it's probably harder for moderators to delete all the pro Palestine content.
Well if you remember, Musk fired like 75% of the people who worked at Twitter so it makes it a lot harder to moderate content of any kind

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well if you remember, Musk fired like 75% of the people who worked at Twitter so it makes it a lot harder to moderate content of any kind

What will this billionaire rename tiktok to?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

that's a pretty strong point actually, there wouldn't necessarily be a lot of time for someone other than the mentioned people or whatever the rumble thing is to slap something together (unless bytedance can figure out how to create a valid spinoff which is possible and waaay beyond my expertise)

Can Bytedance legally do a spinoff that satisfies the bill? Since it specifies that any subsidiary of Bytedance, Tiktok, or any subsidiary or spinoff of a subsidiary or spinoff of Bytedance and Tiktok counts as Bytedance and Tiktok.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

Musk also fired Don Lemon because he didn't like the questions he was asked in Don's first interview with him. This has nothing to do with TikTok I just wanted to laugh at it.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

a.lo posted:

What will this billionaire rename tiktok to?

he'll just take anything and try to Make X Happen because that was what broke his brain was when his business partners would rather burn every bridge and pay off any golden parachute rather than have him tank their company with his grand delusional goal of x

so x

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

They just added the P-I stuff to the sinophobia red scare.
Fetterman did.
Hawley, rubio, and Blackburn did too.

The hope is the usa tik tok will be sold off to a more malleable tech company that is willing to push the propaganda the government wants. Similar to how Facebook and X currently work by pushing acceptable views and weighing down or banning other views.

I keep seeing this and it's bullshit, China's government has severe privacy issues and complaining about it is not Sinophobia. Sinophobia gets thrown around a lot around certain parts of this site for any criticism of China, it's an obvious way to try to derail the argument and make it about something it isn't. It's the same as yelling Anti-semitism at every criticism of Israel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kchama posted:

Can Bytedance legally do a spinoff that satisfies the bill? Since it specifies that any subsidiary of Bytedance, Tiktok, or any subsidiary or spinoff of a subsidiary or spinoff of Bytedance and Tiktok counts as Bytedance and Tiktok.

look, buddy, I already said I'm not an evil money sorcerer

I assume very expensive corporate lawyers are currently being employed to answer this question, I'm just a humble nyc criminal lawyer

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kchama posted:

Bitdance it's exactly 1/8th the size of bytedance but its own legal entity.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

the one thing i dont get is how this intermixes with that a bunch of people who are normally like "yes i want it to remain illegal to scalp this user data, there should of course be that level of accountability and we shouldn't do anything to further normalize the ruination of data privacy" but then are just seemingly ok as long as not the US does it

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Staluigi posted:

the one thing i dont get is how this intermixes with that a bunch of people who are normally like "yes i want it to remain illegal to scalp this user data, there should of course be that level of accountability and we shouldn't do anything to further normalize the ruination of data privacy" but then are just seemingly ok as long as not the US does it

Same way Russia gets a pass on imperialism by certain crowds I suppose.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Staluigi posted:

This bill does nothing for data privacy unless you assume that Tiktok values its user's data privacy less than any US social media company. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, it seems pretty hard to come up with an evidence in either direction since how social media companies use your data in the US is largely unknown at an internal level. At best you can work off of news stories about companies misusing your data.

Although even this isn't really correct since we have no idea how much a theoretical future buyer (almost guaranteed NOT to be an existing player) will value it.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 14, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I get hate speech, propaganda, conspiracies, racist, and anti-LGBT stuff injected in my TikTok feed to what feels like the same degree as any other site.

I’m not super invested in any one community so maybe doing that is what keeps it at bay for some folks. For me, it feels like the algorithm is going fishing. Sometimes it’ll throw something in that I would never seek out but it turns out I’m super into, which is great! Other times it’ll throw some chud poo poo at me probably because I watch a lot of videos about tools or cars or something, which isn’t great but is probably a safe bet for the algorithm. And when I tell someone I can hear the worms crawling in their brain from their totally unhinged Biden conspiracy post I’m actively rewarding it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

koolkal posted:

This bill does nothing for data privacy unless you assume that Tiktok values its user's data privacy less than any US social media company.

Why would we have to assume, we know what China's data privacy laws are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looks like the TikTok bill is probably dead in the Senate anyway.

quote:

Senate Commerce Chair Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) — whose committee is a gatekeeper for any Senate TikTok measures — threw cold water on the House bill.

“I’m glad they brought up a subject, but we got to get a real solution. That one, I don’t think will make it all the way through,” she said earlier this week.

quote:

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer has not committed to bringing it to the floor.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/13/tiktok-ban-bill-house-passes-00146720

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

socialsecurity posted:

Why would we have to assume, we know what China's data privacy laws are.

You're talking like China's data privacy laws are what matters for a US company employing US software engineers running in US data centers run by US employees.

Like, the whole scare here is that the US company is (I think even just partially? idk) owned by a Chinese company.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

look, buddy, I already said I'm not an evil money sorcerer

I assume very expensive corporate lawyers are currently being employed to answer this question, I'm just a humble nyc criminal lawyer

That's fair.

I'm just also really amused that they specified not just subsidiaries or spinoffs of those two things but also any spin-off or subsidiary from anything that spunoff/is a subsidiary of the spinoff/subsidiaries.

crazypenguin posted:

You're talking like China's data privacy laws are what matters for a US company employing US software engineers running in US data centers run by US employees.

Like, the whole scare here is that the US company is (I think even just partially? idk) owned by a Chinese company.

The issue that got people up in arms originally is a Chinese law that says that any Chinese company has to be prepared to turn over all of its data at any time to the Chinese government. Which Bytedance as a Chinese company would be obligated to do. And as far as I know, the data used to be stored in China before as well? They have been planning/moved it to Texas as a way to avoid being made to divest while still following Chinese regulations.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

haveblue posted:

All social media must be destroyed, this is a good start

I'm also pro-Butlerian Jihad.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

RFK Jr. has apparently made his VP pick and will announce on March 26th.

https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/1767978425522737428

The other main contender defended the AWA World Tag Team Title at the Oakland Coliseum on March 16, 1981.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Kill it quick, kill it quiet, move on to things that matter.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

We can continue to dream, anyway.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

BlueBlazer posted:

I'm also pro-Butlerian Jihad.

swear to god im like out getting shopping done and you got seven 2 year olds next to each other watching unbroken hours of this poo poo

and i'm like oh no the luddites got a bad break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Staluigi posted:

swear to god im like out getting shopping done and you got seven 2 year olds next to each other watching unbroken hours of this poo poo

and i'm like oh no the luddites got a bad break

i literally screamed the phrase 267 MILLION VIEWS WHAT THE gently caress

and yes i don't know if it's just Kids These Days Raaargh but seeing like three and four year olds with tablets in their hands loving terrifies me