Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

Honestly, no. Guardian is a tank/warlord hybrid

Daggerheart Playtest posted:

Once per Long Rest, you can become Unstoppable. Your Unstoppable die begins as a d4. Place it on your
character sheet in the designated section of your Class Features, starting with the die’s highest value
facing up. While Unstoppable, you:
● Gain resistance to physical damage.
● Add an additional d6 to any damage rolls you make.
● Can spend stress to reroll any single die you’ve rolled.
Anytime you roll your damage dice, reduce the Unstoppable die value by one. When you would reduce
the value below 1 or the scene ends, remove it and drop out of Unstoppable. At Level 3, upgrade your
Unstoppable die to a d6. At Level 7, upgrade it to a d8.

Sounds like Rage to me.

Also, one of the class item options is "A Stone Totem from Your Mentor."

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, a warrior power at level 1is basically a sight-range teleport

That is an extremely generous reading of that power. Yes, the card says "you can spend a Hope to move anywhere within far range without making an Agility roll to get there". But the intent is pretty clear when you look at the rulebook section on range:

"Far means a distance where one can see the appearance of a person or object, but probably not in great detail-- across a small battlefield or down a large corridor. This is usually about 30-100 feet away. While under danger, a PC will likely have to make an Agility check to get here safely"

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Sounds like Rage to me.

Also, one of the class item options is "A Stone Totem from Your Mentor."

Eh, I can see that. It's just that Valor domain give the Guardian access to just stuff like "Lean On Me" (console a character that has failed an action and clear two stress for both of you), "Critical inspiration" (When you or an ally rolls a critical success on an attac whoever rolled the critical succes can clear an hit point or an additional stress), "Goad on Them" (Make Presence roll against a target to give them stress and force them to attack you), "Support Tank" (when an Ally fails a roll you may spend 2 hope to allow them reroll either Hope or Fear)...

Tarnop posted:

That is an extremely generous reading of that power. Yes, the card says "you can spend a Hope to move anywhere within far range without making an Agility roll to get there". But the intent is pretty clear when you look at the rulebook section on range:

"Far means a distance where one can see the appearance of a person or object, but probably not in great detail-- across a small battlefield or down a large corridor. This is usually about 30-100 feet away. While under danger, a PC will likely have to make an Agility check to get here safely"

I was thinking about 100 feet jumps. From the street to the top of a building, or across a large crevice.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 13, 2024

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Silver2195 posted:

[*]Next up: the Druid. This class is maybe a bit too versatile. If I understand correctly, you get a winged scout form automatically at level 2.
[*]
[*]Next is the Ranger. It's fine, I guess. Making the animal companion a subclass feature rather than a class feature seems like a good way to allow for variable complexity.

Are Rangers and Druids both nature wizards in their game, or did they not carry that over from D&D?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Looking through the ancestries, it's sort of weird how minimal their benefits are compared to the lore. We're told that Faeries "may possess additional arms, compound eyes, lantern organs, chitinous exoskeletons, or stingers," but there's no actual mechanical representation of this. Same for the Firbolg's super strength and the Halfling's super senses.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

King of Solomon posted:

Are Rangers and Druids both nature wizards in their game, or did they not carry that over from D&D?

Rangers draw their abilities from the Sage and Bone domains, so they get the tactics side of warriors mixed with the nature wizard side of druids.

Druids get Sage and Arcana, so they're nature wizards and also utility wizards (that can shapeshift)

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

So Daggerheart is another wizard game where non-wizards should go and gently caress themselves? Cool.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Silver2195 posted:

Looking through the ancestries, it's sort of weird how minimal their benefits are compared to the lore. We're told that Faeries "may possess additional arms, compound eyes, lantern organs, chitinous exoskeletons, or stingers," but there's no actual mechanical representation of this. Same for the Firbolg's super strength and the Halfling's super senses.

I mean, you can't bring up the idea of different species having different stats in discussions around here without being called a racist, I imagine it's even worse for these folks. The idea has become toxic in the part of The Discourse where these people make their living.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kestral posted:

I mean, you can't bring up the idea of different species having different stats in discussions around here without being called a racist, I imagine it's even worse for these folks. The idea has become toxic in the part of The Discourse where these people make their living.

Then why include lore about these species having super strength or super senses in the first place?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Then why include lore about these species having super strength or super senses in the first place?

You can add them mechanically as Experiences anyway.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YggdrasilTM posted:

You can add them mechanically as Experiences anyway.

Sure, you can, but that comes at the opportunity cost of I Won't Let You Down.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

NachtSieger posted:

So Daggerheart is another wizard game where non-wizards should go and gently caress themselves? Cool.

In terms of combat options for martial classes it's much better than the average wizard game. As is often the case, it starts to fall apart when it comes to out of combat utility

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

NachtSieger posted:

Ehhhh? This is not really the case. I will say a lot of stuff rogues get is kind of explicitly magical, and most classes have something like that, though I will also say Warriors are probably the least versatile. Other martials are far more so.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kestral posted:

I really think this is a stupid result of the terminology. The fact that they were called "races" for so long hosed everything up. Assigning different stats to different races is inherently racist - that's the very core tenet of racism.

But species are different, right? Trolls are tougher and stronger than humans. Fairies have wings and can fly. But you see a different argument about stats here. If you try give trolls a bonus to strength, you'll hear "but this is fantasy - why can't I make a human who is as strong as a troll for my character? Sure, most trolls are stronger than most humans, but applying broad trends to individuals is the definition of stereotyping." And that's a reasonable thought, too - we can probably do better than to stereotype. If most NPC trolls you meet have a higher strength than most NPC humans you meet, but the player is free to make Burly McBeefcake the troll-wrestler with troll-strength, then there's no need to give trolls a strength bonus at chargen.

But then what about fairies? Presumably their flight represented by an ability at chargen. What do you say when your friend Bob says "if Alice gets to make a human with troll-strength, why can't I make a human with fairy wings?" And where's the good answer to that? And then the obvious end of this slippery slope is having all abilities open to all species. So you basically just have a big open list of chargen "species abilities" and let people pick whatever and reskin as they like. But if they're reskinning, then why the heck didn't Alice who wanted to make a human with troll-strength just pick the "troll" option and reskin it as a human?

This discourse is absolutely a morass, and there's literally no good game design solution to what really isn't a game design question.

As a designer, you need to be clear in your own mind about what each game element represents. And then be clear about that in the text. I believe you can say any of the following, that none of these are racist, and that each of these will piss someone off:

"Humans with troll-strength exist, and you can make one because all options are open to everyone. Have fun spending ages combing through this huge-rear end list!"

"Humans with troll-strength exist and you can make one by choosing the 'troll' option and telling your friends it's a human. Yes, you get regeneration with that, and no you can't trade for fire resist. Reskin it how you want, but the package is the package."

"Humans with troll-strength may or may not exist in the world, but either way you can't make one at chargen. This is not a game where you can make any character you like. We have carefully crafted the menu, so you can't go off-menu."

"Humans with troll-strength do not exist in this world. A troll is a giant dang rock monster and a human is a watery flesh-bag. This game lets you play a specific kind of fantasy, not a kitchen-sink fantasy."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ah, the GURPS problem rears itself from Warehouses 23…

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Other things in Daggerheart I don't like:
  • Spellcaster-only magic weapons. Spellcasters should have to either pay a Domain Card tax for reliable damage-dealing or just use a quarterstaff.
  • Rogues are spellcasters for some reason. Actually, I know the reason: it's because the Domain system means they have to share half their Domain Cards with Bards and the other half with Sorcerers. So now Rogues are sneaky, edgy Bards instead of having their own identity. (Maybe they did read the Appendix N stuff after all, because they only precedent I can think of for this interpretation of the Rogue is Jack of Shadows.) I guess this approach does mitigate class balance issues: making martials equal to casters is just a matter of powering up the Warrior and Guardian, because those are the only two actual martial classes.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
that warrior ability really does seem to function as "for one resource, get anywhere you can see without difficulty at level 1" which is some pretty dang versatile options

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Are there any attempts out there at making a lit-rpg into an actual game? I’ve tried googling this but can’t really find anything.

Like, a noobtown sourcebook or a sneaky barbarian handbook would be interesting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

PuttyKnife posted:

Are there any attempts out there at making a lit-rpg into an actual game? I’ve tried googling this but can’t really find anything.

Like, a noobtown sourcebook or a sneaky barbarian handbook would be interesting.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/282487/Infinitys-Edge

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/443062/Trinity-Continuum-Anima

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/215255/Threadbare-RPG

Haven't played or even read any of these, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wait, I just realized that the Wizard gets the Splendor Domain. So the reason there's no Cleric is because the Wizard is already the Cleric.

Very strange.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Farg posted:

that warrior ability really does seem to function as "for one resource, get anywhere you can see without difficulty at level 1" which is some pretty dang versatile options

I'd be very surprised if that's the actual intent, as opposed to just removing the requirement to make an agility roll in the following scenario:

Daggerheart Playtest posted:

While under pressure or in danger, you can always move to a location that’s within your close range if
you’re doing so as part of something that requires an action roll. If you simply want to move to another spot on the map while danger is present, or if you’re trying to move to a location that’s far or very far away from you, you’ll typically need to make an Agility roll to reposition yourself there safely. On a failure, you may only get partway there, the adversaries might act before you can make it, or something might keep you from leaving where you are.

which sounds a lot like the sort of situation in which a Deft Maneuver would apply, as opposed to jumping from the street onto the roof of a 100ft tall building or teleporting out of a jail cell with a 1ft square barred window

I've emailed them to ask for clarification and I got a reply saying they've passed the question on to the designer, so I'll post about it if I get an answer

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Thanks for these. I’ve never heard of any of these lit rpgs but I’m still very new to them. Threadbear seem the most interesting of these.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kestral posted:

I wanted to respond to this with Stewart Lee's "These days, if you say you're English..." routine but it's not on Youtube. The only version I could find is here on Facebook, which, of course, won't auto-embed. You even have to manually turn the sound on, it's barbaric. But believe you me, it makes for a funny combination with this post.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hey, anyone mind if I pick your brains?

I got this comment on my Magnificent Heroic Roleplaing SRD. I'm not sure how to respond to this line of inquiry.

You see, when I made my retroclone, I intentionally didn't mention the game to the best of my abilities and tried my best not to discuss my reasoning for doing so outside of game preservation and opening the game up for other developers.

I know what I did is legal. It is rewritten from scratch to avoid copyright and is legally allowed under American copyright. It is obviously unauthorized.

People seem convinced that because you can technically macguvyer the original game from a closed system that it is still technically in print. I've seen a few people say so, such as when I offered it to a fan site of the original title. I don't share that view and I'm actually the person who gave out the guide on how to macguvyer the only book in print to remake this game two years ago.

Still, I feel I should respond, but I am a bit worried to do so. I was wondering if anyone was willing to give their two cents?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I mean, if you feel the need to respond you can hit em with facts.

Game mechanics cannot be copy written.
The document you've created is a legally protected interpretation of those rules.
The SRD you've made allows people to use your document to create content that, while compatible with another system, doesn't rely on that system.
That guy can pound sand because unless you get a C&D they can eat poo poo.
Even if you get a C&D: lmao.

Edit.
Also it's free? Lololol the guy is a weirdo.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 14, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The answer to the first question is no, because Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is no longer in print. As such, the answer to the second question is N/A

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tarnop posted:

The answer to the first question is no, because Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is no longer in print. As such, the answer to the second question is N/A

Yeah, the argument is you can technically use Cortex Prime. But to do so, you need a guide, which is not provided. I made a guide (https://marvelplotpoints.com/2020/11/24/marvel-heroic-to-cortex-prime-conversion/) but it pales to just having the thing. Plus, I altered stuff in the system -- like exploding dice and including the Fate Dice.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Covok posted:

Still, I feel I should respond, but I am a bit worried to do so. I was wondering if anyone was willing to give their two cents?

I haven’t ever met a copyright legal rep that would ever agree with any ttrpg person’s belief in copyright law. That you’ve said you’ve taken steps specifically to avoid triggering the law is probably something to have avoided.

Also, sticking it on drive thru and not on google drive as a public link probably won’t do you many favors as it implies eventual monetization.

For example: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/OeuJN6y8NKlX

Or any of the fan final fantasy games or even Star Wars REUP or the Ghostbusters rpg folks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

PuttyKnife posted:

I haven’t ever met a copyright legal rep that would ever agree with any ttrpg person’s belief in copyright law. That you’ve said you’ve taken steps specifically to avoid triggering the law is probably something to have avoided.

Also, sticking it on drive thru and not on google drive as a public link probably won’t do you many favors as it implies eventual monetization.

For example: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/OeuJN6y8NKlX

Or any of the fan final fantasy games or even Star Wars REUP or the Ghostbusters rpg folks.

Well, I made it as an offshoot of my work on Wild Hunt (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hwK4Q6DrzODtyW-aajW9vvQoF03zq4NEkCtUeelhFvg/edit?usp=sharing) so there is monetization but Wild Hunt is completely different from MHR as you can see. Also, even what I made would be legal to sell, just like any retroclone. I rewrote the book.

I intentionally was vague on what the game is at many points and avoided ever saying what this game is a retroclone of. Well, I did get annoyed and rename it so the acronym is the same.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's pretty trivial to show that Drive Thru hosts hundreds of free games and supplements that have remained free for years

e: although if it ever got to the point where you had to demonstrate this then you'd probably be best off just taking the thing down anyway

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 14, 2024

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Having just skimmed through it, you would have more to worry about from Evil Hat than Marvel. And even then I think the most they'd do is tell you to pull it down unless you comply with their license restrictions.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ravus Ursus posted:

Having just skimmed through it, you would have more to worry about from Evil Hat than Marvel. And even then I think the most they'd do is tell you to pull it down unless you comply with their license restrictions.

What do you mean by Evil Hat restrictions? According to their SRD, it is a CC Attribution.

https://fate-srd.com/official-licensing-fate

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

If you want a really definitive answer you're going to have to hire a lawyer.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The answer is to post "this is a retroclone of a game that has been out of print for over 10 years" and then move on with your life.

If MWP want to DMCA you they can, and you can counter-claim, and so forth and so on. Until they do, they don't factor into the conversation.

Cam Banks and Fandom sure as poo poo aren't going to try to stop you because they don't have the rights either. All Cortex Prime does is wink wink nudge nudge at the kind of optional rules you could combine to make a facsimile of Marvel Heroic (or Smallville or Firefly).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

The answer is to post "this is a retroclone of a game that has been out of print for over 10 years" and then move on with your life.

If MWP want to DMCA you they can, and you can counter-claim, and so forth and so on. Until they do, they don't factor into the conversation.

Cam Banks and Fandom sure as poo poo aren't going to try to stop you because they don't have the rights either. All Cortex Prime does is wink wink nudge nudge at the kind of optional rules you could combine to make a facsimile of Marvel Heroic (or Smallville or Firefly).

This is probably the right response. I am just likely overthinking it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Or if you like I can reply with "gently caress off narc"

Probably go with Lemon Lime's suggestion though

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Covok posted:

This is probably the right response. I am just likely overthinking it.

Post/user combo! Fatality!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Covok posted:

What do you mean by Evil Hat restrictions? According to their SRD, it is a CC Attribution.

https://fate-srd.com/official-licensing-fate

Yeah I thought you needed to slap the logo on the front cover. I know you have the reference in the book itself so that's probably fine?

Honestly not worth worrying about. If they're gonna do anything you'd get a letter or email before it escalated, especially since it's free.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jimbozig posted:

I really think this is a stupid result of the terminology. The fact that they were called "races" for so long hosed everything up. Assigning different stats to different races is inherently racist - that's the very core tenet of racism.

But species are different, right? Trolls are tougher and stronger than humans. Fairies have wings and can fly. But you see a different argument about stats here. If you try give trolls a bonus to strength, you'll hear "but this is fantasy - why can't I make a human who is as strong as a troll for my character? Sure, most trolls are stronger than most humans, but applying broad trends to individuals is the definition of stereotyping." And that's a reasonable thought, too - we can probably do better than to stereotype. If most NPC trolls you meet have a higher strength than most NPC humans you meet, but the player is free to make Burly McBeefcake the troll-wrestler with troll-strength, then there's no need to give trolls a strength bonus at chargen.

But then what about fairies? Presumably their flight represented by an ability at chargen. What do you say when your friend Bob says "if Alice gets to make a human with troll-strength, why can't I make a human with fairy wings?"
"Alice doesn't have troll strength, she's got Alice strength. The troll-unique power is regeneration."

To cut a big long post down to its core: race-specific fantasy nonsense like wings, regeneration, supernatural luck etc are all perfectly fine, because there's not a lot of real world racists arguing that black people do or do not have an acid spit attack. Trolls being "naturally athletically gifted, it's just biology" has connotations, but the even bigger problem is trolls /not/ being able to start with elf level intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Death to ability scores, grant special abilities based on heritage (ie who you grew up around) and you can look like and call yourself whatever you want as long as the people you're playing with agree that it fits the tone/genre of your game