Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

F-35 aesthetically looks dorky compared to the F-16 and that's the one stigma it'll never get past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
All the 70s-80s super planes had a superior aesthetic to the F-35

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Vampire Panties posted:

All the 70s-80s super planes had a superior aesthetic to the F-35

this is true. bring back forest camo, cowards

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

tiaz posted:

this is true. bring back forest camo inverted wings, cowards

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_goDrMBZep4

Give me those third reich vibes

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys
The F-35 can't even catch an SR 71, which are almost 60 years old! Truly a waste of money

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Jerk Burger posted:

The F-35 can't even catch an SR 71, which are almost 60 years old! Truly a waste of money

The F-35's max altitude is less than the U2, it's payload is a fraction of the C-5 Galaxy, and apparently a B-52 has a longer combat range that the 35's ferry range. And get this, the Radar on some absolutely ancient Boeing 707s is better than the F-35. If this thing were any more laughable, WWI aircraft could outturn it.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

HKR posted:

F-35 aesthetically looks dorky compared to the F-16 and that's the one stigma it'll never get past.

It's true, but the F-35 has grown on me. Like, when the Subaru Forester first came out, I thought it looked weird. I kind of like 'em now.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Building top tier aircraft is irrelevant when some gps enabled foam and balsa wood with a lawn mower engine is all it takes to disable your economy.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

EorayMel posted:

Putin Putin Putin Putin Putin Putin Putin Putin Putin Putin is is is is is is is is is is a a a a a a a a a a piece piece piece piece piece piece piece piece piece piece of of of of of of of of of of of poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

:hmmyes:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Should've said "not to rain on your f35 parade" :ocelot: :grin:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ComfyPants posted:

It's true, but the F-35 has grown on me. Like, when the Subaru Forester first came out, I thought it looked weird. I kind of like 'em now.

As AI's resident Subaru Forester restorer/enhancer weirdo I approve of this

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My favorite Subaru fact is they noticed lesbians were buying their cars and responded by marketing to lesbians.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tai posted:

It was such a painful conversation trying to explain the days of dog fighting died decades ago. It's who spots who first at stupidly long range. He still didn't get it and thinks Top Gun is still a thing.

In an all out assault, sure, but aircraft tend to be involved in brinkmanship, emergent scenarios and international incidents. The perception and actual ability of a fighter jet to knife fight a merged opponent is important in more than the obvious ways. Sometimes you can't just shoot down the target, you need to visually identify it. Almost all modern jets still carry auto cannons.

That being said, if the F-35 is only the third or fourth best dogfighter, it is still arguably the most capable jet in the world. It's probably the best jet that has over 1000 examples produced

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

geworfenheit
Feb 3, 2024
dogfighting will get extra pointless when the sun is blocked out by a mass swarm of air superiority drones which individually maneuver and have a payload worth poo poo, but in numbers can police and block out the region to most existing manned aircraft.

of course this requires raw industrial capacity, which russia has less of than most other powers including the west and china.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
dad gay, sopwith

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

We should send Ukraine some F-35s, I bet they could put them to good use.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

In an all out assault, sure, but aircraft tend to be involved in brinkmanship, emergent scenarios and international incidents. The perception and actual ability of a fighter jet to knife fight a merged opponent is important in more than the obvious ways. Sometimes you can't just shoot down the target, you need to visually identify it. Almost all modern jets still carry auto cannons.

That being said, if the F-35 is only the third or fourth best dogfighter, it is still arguably the most capable jet in the world. It's probably the best jet that has over 1000 examples produced

Last I knew the F35 carried an autocannon, but that’s all it did. Carry it. Was not capable of firing it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'm 100% with the Viper fans. I used to live in a super cheap house; it was super cheap to rent because the F-16's would leave the local AFB every morning OVER my goddamned bedroom. Flew low enough over me to read the tail codes.

Loudest thing I've ever heard. Scared the poo poo out of me.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Just like take a b52, slap some ultra ultra long range stealth missiles on it and use some stealth drones to designate targets for it.

Beyond visual range air combat is such an outdated concept. We could do intercontinental air to air.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

The Lone Badger posted:

Last I knew the F35 carried an autocannon, but that’s all it did. Carry it. Was not capable of firing it.

jesus loving christ, that’s one of the dumbest posts i’ve read in this thread yet. both 5th-gens carry cannons as a lesson learned from the f-4. doctrine and reality tend to diverge, and when that happened with the f-4 they had to course correct with gun pods

doing this with the 5th-gens would negate their stealth capabilities, so the they went ahead and built them in just in case. the situation would have to be galaxy level hosed for those cannons to be anywhere close to useful, but poo poo happens

dead weight is not a thing. if something isn’t useful it’s either stripped out or never mounted

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

zone posted:

but you see, death to Amerikkka because something multipolar world and end of some evil empire

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

There was an issue with some of the F-35A auto cannons that was making them inaccurate and damaging their mounting when fired. So those planes were told to not fire the autocannons until the issue was fixed. That was some time ago so I doubt it’s still an issue.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you want actual experts in making planes that can't use their weapons without literally shaking themselves apart, you want the soviets.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TrashMammal posted:

jesus loving christ, that’s one of the dumbest posts i’ve read in this thread yet. both 5th-gens carry cannons as a lesson learned from the f-4. doctrine and reality tend to diverge, and when that happened with the f-4 they had to course correct with gun pods

My information is very old, it's from when they first started flying them and hadn't yet written the software for the gun, making it impossible to use.
I would assume it has been fixed now but I would also not trust my assumptions.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Good video about the f35
https://youtu.be/YQgNwrtVoZ4?si=cSb_2LtPuU66qdNp

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I think we should give Ukraine 200 F-16s and 200 F-35s to compare so we can put this debate to bed once and for all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ubik_Lives posted:

I think we should give Ukraine 200 F-16s and 200 F-35s to compare so we can put this debate to bed once and for all.

:hmmyes:

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

If you want actual experts in making planes that can't use their weapons without literally shaking themselves apart, you want the soviets.

KA52, an helicopter that is actually expected to use its gun, featured the same gun as the fabled wunderwaffe Terminator. I did some phot overlaying and angle calculations on the videos of the terminator using its guns and I found at theoretical maximum, if it fired a full burst, it would not be able to reliably hit a human sized target at 50m and a large house at 300.
There are photos of KA52 where it has shot itself with it's own gun as the gun is so poorly designed it wobbles enough to hit the platform carrying it.

So in conclusion: Soviet engineers are so ahead of the curve they built an aircraft that can hit something, even when not firing at anything.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Ubik_Lives posted:

Why stop there? Give them some F-15c and F-15e as well

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

ded posted:

Why stop there? Give them some F-15c and F-15e as well

Indeed, and also I've always been curious about the relative performance of Gripen, Eurofighter and F-18 compared to those

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Need some B-52s to compare payload and range

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Can it stay airborne as long as a zeppelin?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
You'll need another 200 F-35 so you can test with and without Luneburg lenses.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
equip those F-35s with B61s

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Your friendly reminder that the guy who spent months on Russian TV making GBS threads on the F-35, Pierre Sprey, wanted the F-15 to have no radar or electronics and wanted it to be a dog fighter like the Spitfire or Hurricane lmao.

He was booted off the F-15 project while getting laughed out the door.

Dumb rear end

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Was he ever employed as a designer or engineer anywhere?
Other than being great at lying the sprey and co had no qualifications at all, if I recall correctly.

Either way speaks volumes of American journalism standards (or lack thereof) that they are known as A10 and F35 designers rather than obscure internet lolcows.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

haddedam posted:

Was he ever employed as a designer or engineer anywhere?
Other than being great at lying the sprey and co had no qualifications at all, if I recall correctly.

Either way speaks volumes of American journalism standards (or lack thereof) that they are known as A10 and F35 designers rather than obscure internet lolcows.
No. He was an 'analyst' in the 60s, hosed off out of things in the 70s, and in all that time he had about as much say or sway in the design and engineering of aircraft as a paperboy would.

Possibly less.

code:
Sprey claimed to be involved in the design of several military jets, including the F-16, A-10, and F-22. Notably, he was once a harsh critic of the F-22, despite later claiming to have designed it.
Yeah, figure that out. Man was full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So he was one of the reformer dumbasses?