Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nazi webcomics guy. Not that one or that one, the other one, the one who doesn't use his real name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's the webcomic in the background of the photo, which turns out to be full of racisms

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Mega Comrade posted:

The concept of * is fine, it's just the current implementation where capitalism has been allowed to run riot

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

I've spent about half my mortgage, taxes and insurance payments over the years in repairs from a new roof to plumbing and other expensive crap, and it's still wildly more economical than renting an apartment from a landlord who keeps the thermostat locked at 65degF cause that's what is legally required or getting so fed up with how lovely and unresponsive your landlord is that you buy/fix stuff yourself (then getting hosed with security deposits when you move out). That's not even accounting for the rise in interest rates and property values, being able to deduct interest from your taxes, "homestead" (your primary residence) taxes being ~3/4 of what you'd pay if you were say owning and renting the property (costs that get paid by the renter), plus your mortgage payments adding to your credit score but for some reason Rent don't (unless you don't pay, then you get dinged, but paying rent on time every month for 30 years does nothing to your credit) and it's just so, so lovely to rent.

Schad: ACLU, famous for defending labor rights and supporting the NLRB, is inconvenienced by labor and now attacking the NLRB and trying to keep their employees locked in arbitration and gets called out for their poo poo:

https://www.nlrbedge.com/p/the-aclu-is-trying-to-destroy-the

quote:

Like most progressive organizations, the ACLU has historically supported access to the courts and opposed forcing workers and consumers into arbitration. Yet this case reveals that the ACLU has arbitration agreements with its employees and is doggedly trying to use those agreements to keep them from accessing the NLRB.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Worse than this, the loving DSA is supposedly violating its CBA by laying off 12 employees either because of money problems or because a group of entryist Maoists took control of the NPC and are purging undesirables. I'm following all of this through dueling camps on twitter so I don't know what's going on but it's fishy.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's undoubtedly breaking some law to get an unlicenced dude to do the plumbing & gas & electrical work in a rental property

lmao - probably not. unless its something a permit needs to be pulled for it can be the wild west depending on where you live

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I forget which one but IIRC there was a mod on the forums who would berate anyone suggesting that home ownership was a good idea. Not because of moral or mortgage reasons, but because home maintenance would always and forever be more expensive than just renting and having your landlord fix things.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Where is everyone finding these landlords that actually fix things? Even when I lived in a large apartment complex with a maintenance crew they never fixed anything and just left a work order that said, “It’s fine.”

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dillbag posted:

I forget which one but IIRC there was a mod on the forums who would berate anyone suggesting that home ownership was a good idea. Not because of moral or mortgage reasons, but because home maintenance would always and forever be more expensive than just renting and having your landlord fix things.

Home maintenance and improvement are expensive but is not money down the toilet that you are never going to see anymore, like rent. All the value it adds belongs to you

Plus not paying rent feels so good

But I guess it depends on how often you move. Personally I hate moving

edit:

wash bucket posted:

Where is everyone finding these landlords that actually fix things? Even when I lived in a large apartment complex with a maintenance crew they never fixed anything and just left a work order that said, “It’s fine.”

Thats my experience too: they will do the bare minimum possible and say "my work here is done, deal with it". And than when you are returning the place, they will find all sorts of problems and damages and try to make you pay for it

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Schmorky

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wash bucket posted:

Here in Australia we actually have legislative bodies which protect renters: https://www.vcat.vic.gov.au/case-types/residential-tenancies/apply-residential-tenancies

..... but only if you're aware that those protections exist and you decide you want to take legal action against your landlord, I'm sure that a lot of renters have no idea about this stuff and most landlords get away with heinous poo poo

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Elias_Maluco posted:

Home maintenance and improvement are expensive but is not money down the toilet that you are never going to see anymore, like rent. All the value it adds belongs to you

Plus not paying rent feels so good

But I guess it depends on how often you move. Personally I hate moving

Also not having to set repairs up via an intermediary landlord who hires the shittiest most expensive maintenance guy available who only works between 2 and 6AM on Tuesdays. Also being able to DIY repairs for a lower cost instead of paying said maintenance guy. And not having to argue with said landlord for months about who's actually responsible for paying the repair cost of a lovely central heating system. Being able to take advantage of government loans and rebates to replace gas-heating when the price goes 10x due to a particular Russian dictator, when your landlord has literally zero incentive to do so because he's not the one paying the heating bills. Being able to put down solar panels that cover my entire daily power usage.

I bought 3 years ago after 20 years of renting and I could not be happier. Even with the random unexpected repairs that come with a 100-year old house it's still worth it.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

wash bucket posted:

A few years back I rented a second-floor apartment from a single-building owner who lived downstairs. He was also a construction project manager, so he had hella tools and poo poo. I could call him pretty much anytime he was home and he'd be up in a matter of minutes. It was the best thing ever.

Make all landlords live alongside their tenants, imo.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Execute all absentee-landlords, got it

e: an alternative solution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_(1991_film)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's like eleven billion people on this planet, and I like about fifteen.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

wash bucket posted:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

A few years back I rented a second-floor apartment from a single-building owner who lived downstairs. He was also a construction project manager, so he had hella tools and poo poo. I could call him pretty much anytime he was home and he'd be up in a matter of minutes. It was the best thing ever.

I do property maintenance and stuff like that as a side job for a few landlords who moved out of state but kept their houses as rentals. They pay me pretty well so I always try to bust rear end for them and do the jobs in a way that never has to be revisited. I'll occasionally do small stuff pro bono when the renters come to me and it's quick and simple. I figure the more I actually get poo poo fixed or replaced, the cheaper their total annual maintenance cost is and the longer I'll be retained for the higher paying property work that's not tied to the renters themselves. I always stick up for the renters too, except in one case where they had a pretty large contract breach that made a lot of work for me and the cleaning crew and the new renters moving in. I also pretty consistently under report my labor on the jobs I do because I don't want them to raise rent because it's godawful expensive in this town. Fortunately the property owners are all still young enough that they haven't owned for that long and work in academia so they know the struggle of housing for students, who make up most of the renters.

Not sure where I intended to go with that other than I hate lovely landlords and lovely maintenance people. It's awful to be unhappy in your home and not have a way to improve the situation.

Also lol I just remembered this awful apartment complex I lived in a few years back. The maintenance guy was the boyfriend of one of the managers and lived across the parking lot from me. He burned his unit down cooking meth. Fucker never fixed the deadbolt on my patio door or my gate either.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
In those circumstances I wouldn't necessarily trust a deadbolt anyway, without a failover claymore mine

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I live in an apartment building from the 60s and we recently had to change the roof (rusted through and leaky) and most of the windows (very old cracked frames). It cost a shitload of money and we had to take out a loan.

Of course before the actual work started there was a bunch of meetings to decide on the contractor and color of windows and so on and so forth. Most of the landlords who don't actually live in the building didn't want to do it and bitched and moaned a lot but were outvoted. I think mostly because like half the apartments are public housing owned by the city and I'm pretty sure they automatically vote yes on stuff like this.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Tiggum posted:

Nah, rent is bullshit because it's literal theft by extortion. Even if it cost much less and never increased, you would still be paying for someone else to own something. If you go into a shop and pay for something and then someone else picks it up and walks out with it, that's theft. But if you pay for someone else's house and then they keep it and throw you out, that's rent. It's bullshit.
So do you think you "own" it when you rent a car? Renting is very much an understanding that you are paying to use someone else's property for a certain amount of time that is not guaranteed to continue. There are lots of reasons to be angry about lovely landlords and high prices, but what are you getting at? Maybe I am just not reading you correctly?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ommin posted:

So do you think you "own" it when you rent a car? Renting is very much an understanding that you are paying to use someone else's property for a certain amount of time that is not guaranteed to continue. There are lots of reasons to be angry about lovely landlords and high prices, but what are you getting at? Maybe I am just not reading you correctly?

It's way the gently caress easier to live without a car than it is to live without shelter. Assuming you're white cops tend not hassle or arrest you for walking on public streets, that's not as true if you try sleeping on them.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Air Skwirl posted:

It's way the gently caress easier to live without a car than it is to live without shelter. Assuming you're white cops tend not hassle or arrest you for walking on public streets, that's not as true if you try sleeping on them.

about 20 years ago i was walking down the street at night in a rich white suburban town (im also white) which i lived on the outskirts of, and a cop stopped to ask me where i was going, what i was doing. i said 'im going home i live right up there', and then he seemed flustered and maybe felt guilty for stopping me, so then asked me 'do you know john?' and i just stared at him for a second, then said '... john who?' and he very awkwardly said 'john... anderson, we think he broke into some houses around here' obviously just making poo poo up, so I just said 'no i dont know a john anderson' and he left and i went home, and i still chuckle thinking about that now and then. in retrospect if i wasnt white things may have gone differently.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Not at all how I expected it to end. I thought for sure he was going to be bust out the window behind him on the backswing.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ommin posted:

They're massively different situations. A rental car is more comparable to a hotel rool - A place you know you're payinging a premium for, but you're using it for a short time because you don't want something permanant.

Instead, imagine if you needed to own a car (Even more than usual in America, like it was illegal to travel without one) but there weren't any for sale, only the rental agencies had cars and they were pressuring factories not to build more cars and buying the cars that did get sold and often not renting them, just keeping them in a warehouse waiting for the prices to increase.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's more like leasing a car instead of buying, Rather than renting. There is an expectation that it's relatively long term but definitely not permanent. I don't think either is really conceptually problematic, some people want the flexibility to have a thing for a couple years and then maybe move on to a new one, and not have to worry about things like long term maintenance, and that don't require a substantial payment upfront.

The problem isn't the idea of short term or temporary housing, the problem is an exploitation of that system to maximize profits for a few people who control the market while making quality of life significantly worse for everyone else. That hasn't become quite the same level of a problem for the auto market yet, but it's very much an issue in housing. If people want to be able to buy a home that should be realistically feasible, and if people don't want to they should be able to rent an apartment or a house as would suit their needs.

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Mar 13, 2024

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Leasing a car is like renting an apartment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The landlord is GM, and the apartment is the EV1.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

wash bucket posted:

I've been a lifelong renter in a variety of apartments since I first moved out in '95 and management has always fixed/replaced poo poo that broke. Sure sometimes I had to wait a few days but it was always done. Anecdotal of course but that's my experience.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I sleep in a big house with my lender.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I've made more money with buying, holding, and selling my primary residence (1bdrm condo) than what I made from my relatively well paying job over the same time period. I live in Canada.

I could not have done this by renting. But also I got lucky in timing although at the time it felt like an insane amount of debt.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I once rented an apartment and farted in it

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

SocksAndSandals posted:

I've made more money with buying, holding, and selling my primary residence (1bdrm condo) than what I made from my relatively well paying job over the same time period. I live in Canada.

I could not have done this by renting. But also I got lucky in timing although at the time it felt like an insane amount of debt.

Same here! I would have rather housing just cost a normal amount instead of me making money on selling my house, because it really just meant we could buy another house that was also overpriced. Mao if only there was some solution to deal with landlords, who are basically ticketmaster for houses

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Reading the cop landlord apologists itt

All landlords are bad, even the ones you think are good. You aren't thinking systemically about what the entire thing is resulting in.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

MNIMWA posted:

ticketmaster for houses

Landlords are Ticketmaster and scalpers combined into one except as human beings we require the ticket to literally stay alive.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Renting loving sucks but unless or until I wake up tomorrow morning and suddenly have a billion dollars in my bank account, it's what I'm stuck with.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh poo poo, landlords are bad? :monocle:

This days-long discussion has really opened my eyes!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What? I though you guys were talking about lanlords. Was feeling pretty confused by all the hate for guys who are really good at starcraft and always brought plenty of snacks.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

MNIMWA posted:

Same here! I would have rather housing just cost a normal amount instead of me making money on selling my house, because it really just meant we could buy another house that was also overpriced. Mao if only there was some solution to deal with landlords, who are basically ticketmaster for houses

And the ones we missed will all simply starve to death with the millions and millions of our other citizens!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

photoshopping the papers into a phone is a good gag. but did they really need to do that to his eyebrows? half Spock, half face-being-melted-by-the-Ark-of-the-Covenant.

it bothered me enough to spend a couple mins fixing it

can't do anything about the fingers unfortunately. i don't actually know how to photoshop

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

DontMockMySmock posted:

photoshopping the papers into a phone is a good gag. but did they really need to do that to his eyebrows? half Spock, half face-being-melted-by-the-Ark-of-the-Covenant.

it bothered me enough to spend a couple mins fixing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Elfface posted:

They're massively different situations. A rental car is more comparable to a hotel rool - A place you know you're payinging a premium for, but you're using it for a short time because you don't want something permanant.

Instead, imagine if you needed to own a car (Even more than usual in America, like it was illegal to travel without one) but there weren't any for sale, only the rental agencies had cars and they were pressuring factories not to build more cars and buying the cars that did get sold and often not renting them, just keeping them in a warehouse waiting for the prices to increase.
Fair criticism, leasing was probably the better analogy. I don't know where I was going with that earlier; I was in a mood. Sorry for contributing to the derail. Truly.