Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hadlock posted:

So data security isn't a devops problem any more? I just throw it over the wall to the iam administration group data engineers now?

The team who owns the systems containing the data should be responsible for securing it.

Maybe I don’t understand what you mean with IAM admin groups but I don’t see how they are responsible for data security on systems they don’t maintain…

Data Engineers are likely working with a DevOps mindset, as in they’re both developing and maintaining their systems. The Data part mostly marks what kind of development they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Anything that's everyone's responsibility quickly becomes in practice nobody's responsibility nor accountability

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm still not convinced data engineering is somehow separate. What specifically non operational task do data engineers do that doesn't have deep overlap with either DevOps and traditional analytics groups doing rudimentary ETL

necrobobsledder posted:

Anything that's everyone's responsibility quickly becomes in practice nobody's responsibility nor accountability

There's a joke involving fighting fires at work, "only you can prevent forest fires" and perpetual raging wildfires in California, but I'm not brave enough to make it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hadlock posted:

I'm still not convinced data engineering is somehow separate. What specifically non operational task do data engineers do that doesn't have deep overlap with either DevOps and traditional analytics groups doing rudimentary ETL

Data engineering is kind of a mashup of ops, analytics, db admin, and data architecture.

It's basically the evolution of OLAP groups with devops methodologies applied.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Hadlock posted:

They run the Hadoop and Cassandra so I don’t have to.

I run the kubernetes so they don’t have to.

Then they run their Hadoop on my Kubernetes and now nobody understands what the gently caress is going on.

Anyways our stock hit an all time high today

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

necrobobsledder posted:

I view this through the lens of people who have to pre-divide chores with their spouses and if that's you, bless you, but there are absolutely other ways to do it

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

madmatt112 posted:

They run the Hadoop and Cassandra so I don’t have to.

I run the kubernetes so they don’t have to.

Then they run their Hadoop on my Kubernetes and now nobody understands what the gently caress is going on.

Anyways our stock hit an all time high today

Meanwhile I joined my company right as its stock was trading at the all time high and then it immediately went sharply down lol. That first RSU grant uh did not perform very well :shepface:

Overall I have no complaints about my comp but the stock has been a joke for a long time. For better or worse they pay a lot in cash, the stock isn't meant to be like 80% of your comp FAANG style

E: in unrelated news like 3 days later I am still trying to walk this cloud security professional through creating an AWS security group without outright writing the terraform for him

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 7, 2024

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

I view this through the lens of people who have to pre-divide chores with their spouses and if that's you, bless you, but there are absolutely other ways to do it
The other ways in my mind tend to require hiring for people that are more self driven and self organizing than most companies have the luxury of having. Furthermore, all these aphorisms get exasperating when the modus operandi of so many software companies is under-hiring to the point that merely maintaining software without any new features is a tall order, so really prioritization and expecting some stuff to simply not be done is the grim reality IME and with some incredibly discouraging business motivations that will keep security as a rather low priority.

Also, I would hesitate to make metaphors between marriages and work without very specific scoping of context. Chores continuously occupying more of my time without any concern, feedback loop, or limiter for what generates these tasks is a large part of why I called it quits for both arrangements before, and security is a chore / afterthought for most companies obsessed with delivering features unless they have the resources to spare by the graces of thine divine holy leadership.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Docjowles posted:

E: in unrelated news like 3 days later I am still trying to walk this cloud security professional through creating an AWS security group without outright writing the terraform for him

Sounds like a similar exercise as I’ve been undertaking. I’m getting a dev team to work with git.

Concepts like commits, branches, merge requests and the different state between local and remote are completely alien to them.

Answering questions like “why do we need version control if we already define version in our pom.xml?” or “can’t we just copy/paste our application directly onto the prod server instead of using a pipeline?” and “we test manually so can’t we just turn off the automated testing?”.

Apparently the whole team has the same workflow where they all edit the main branch through the web interface of our git repository and then pull it onto a test environment where they do addtional changes before pushing it back. They’ve messed up the order in which they made changes resulting in merge conflicts. So now I’m dealing with “it always worked and now it’s broken so obviously YOUR team has changed something and YOU need to fix this” :negative:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

Sounds like a similar exercise as I’ve been undertaking. I’m getting a dev team to work with git.

Concepts like commits, branches, merge requests and the different state between local and remote are completely alien to them.

:psyduck: :negative:

Mildly curious what industry you work in

I experienced this at an HR software company that had been stuck in the stone age but that was... 7 years ago? I would have thought we are all on the same page about basic git mechanics at this point but apparently not

I guess at my last job, my predecessor had introduced some janky thing that depended on developers force pushing to master

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

It’s not par for the course luckily. This is a pretty isolated team doing risk modeling in an ancient statistics program. These folks are extremely good in their job but have worked in the same way for decades and are now forced to start applying “new” tools to their trade.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

but have worked in the same way for decades and are now forced to start applying “new” tools to their trade.

Sometimes I wonder with containers, Kubernetes and terraform if I'm stuck in a rut and need to expand my tool set so I don't become like this. I'm not sure what's out there that might be better, though

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hadlock posted:

Sometimes I wonder with containers, Kubernetes and terraform if I'm stuck in a rut and need to expand my tool set so I don't become like this. I'm not sure what's out there that might be better, though

Exposure to k8s, containers and terraform will definitely not hurt you (except emotionally :classiclol:).

It feels like these major tech shifts happen fairly slowly, but if you find yourself at the end of the bell curve you’re more likely to be less employable. But if you’re one of the last dinosaurs you can make mad bank because nobody knows how ancient tech works anymore.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

A ton of companies are just building Microservice Jenga at this point, and the next big-paying job is just going to be fixing that

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Answering questions like “why do we need version control if we already define version in our pom.xml?” or “can’t we just copy/paste our application directly onto the prod server instead of using a pipeline?” and “we test manually so can’t we just turn off the automated testing?”.

:catstare: What the actual gently caress, did these guys walk out of a portal from 2005 lol. That's about the last time I encountered FTPing code to "the server" as a deployment strategy

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

LochNessMonster posted:

It’s not par for the course luckily. This is a pretty isolated team doing risk modeling in an ancient statistics program. These folks are extremely good in their job but have worked in the same way for decades and are now forced to start applying “new” tools to their trade.

Define some sensible defaults, give them clarity and define what crawl/walk/run look like in observable metrics and get some stakeholder buy in to focus on "engineering excellency". Take it slow and one default at a time until the team is at least crawling; do suggest having "trunk based" within this type of environment over branching strategies as those will just lead to more pain down the road as the team starts to "get smart" with how they understand "git flow" should work etc.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Docjowles posted:

:catstare: What the actual gently caress, did these guys walk out of a portal from 2005 lol. That's about the last time I encountered FTPing code to "the server" as a deployment strategy

They work on a very niche product and are more business analists than actual devs, even if they write code/logic in some kind of legacy language.

Apparently modern SDLC has never been required in this niche. I was as surprised as you are.

drunk mutt posted:

Define some sensible defaults, give them clarity and define what crawl/walk/run look like in observable metrics and get some stakeholder buy in to focus on "engineering excellency". Take it slow and one default at a time until the team is at least crawling; do suggest having "trunk based" within this type of environment over branching strategies as those will just lead to more pain down the road as the team starts to "get smart" with how they understand "git flow" should work etc.

My team has built their build/release pipeline. They’re migrating yo a different platform altogether so their future is not really my concern. The guardrails are in place and the pipeline gives them a way to build/release from scratch to prod.

Whatever manual labor they have introduced is up to them, as long as they don’t come to me for that. I’ve tried helping them out with improving their workflow but was met with “we’ll discuss it with the team” on every occaision so I don’t think they’re eager to change.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Most academic HPC work is still running off of cluster-attached NFS volumes, as far as I know. There's career software engineers and there's everyone else

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I don't blame a lot of people for staying far behind modern software trends given how incredibly fashion-driven our silly industry is for supposedly such an "engineering" culture we're supposed to have. But I guess it's about resume-driven development for making sure we don't get stuck at companies that pay on the other end of the bimodal distribution of software, which is honestly the dominant part of the distribution of our industry.

Vulture Culture posted:

A ton of companies are just building Microservice Jenga at this point, and the next big-paying job is just going to be fixing that
I'm seeing an awful lot of reverse-hipster "monoliths are cool again" blogposts. Collapsing a bunch of over-engineered code into much easier to understand constructs for engineering teams an order of magnitude smaller and using strangler pattern effectively at the LOB level is what I've been doing for a while now partly because I just really, really, really like to see code disappear while all my tests and customers keep on trucking right along.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, this is a really sensible approach.

A lot of service and platform designs fail to consider who is going to be making what kind of changes to the software at what pace, so we end up making precisely the wrong decisions. Core business logic gets broken into dozens and dozens of tiny independently-shipped parts that are substantially harder to change and test for people who are close to, but not on, the owning team. At the same time, we're continuing to build a lot of the central platforms that run the business as monoliths, when there's absolutely no benefit to doing so because the people making contributions are coming from everywhere, and nobody has any context about the system anyway.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

I don't blame a lot of people for staying far behind modern software trends given how incredibly fashion-driven our silly industry is for supposedly such an "engineering" culture we're supposed to have. But I guess it's about resume-driven development for making sure we don't get stuck at companies that pay on the other end of the bimodal distribution of software, which is honestly the dominant part of the distribution of our industry.

I'm seeing an awful lot of reverse-hipster "monoliths are cool again" blogposts. Collapsing a bunch of over-engineered code into much easier to understand constructs for engineering teams an order of magnitude smaller and using strangler pattern effectively at the LOB level is what I've been doing for a while now partly because I just really, really, really like to see code disappear while all my tests and customers keep on trucking right along.

The book Kill It With Fire does a good job of talking about the benefits of monoliths without seeming like reactionary reverse-hipster stuff - basically that there's a lot of benefits to them, and if you try and preemptively scale your stuff into microservices you introduce a lot of inefficiencies to the development process that aren't great. It also doesn't pretend that monoliths don't have problems and talks about the right time to migrate away/etc. I really do love that book.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Conway's Law applying to software architecture really needs to be repeated in that if your microservices don't resemble your organizational structure you're probably going to have a Bad Time. Granted, a ton of organizations are absolutely horribly organized anyway so this may not be the best model but it's also unfortunately true that simply splitting up or collapsing together your software architecture won't cause a re-org eventually to support it either. Sorry, folks, Taylorism is alive and well despite all the Deming books we sacrifice to the altar of agile and quality driven engineering processes or whatever will get people's SEO numbers up these days.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Something else to remember about Conway's Law is that it's really mentally tempting to simplify that organizational design into a reporting structure org chart, but the question who's doing the work? goes far beyond the nominal conversations about ownership that people like to start from.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Possibly the dumbest thing you'll read today

https://thenewstack.io/with-yamlscript-yaml-becomes-a-proper-programming-language/

:psypop:

I suspect this is what happens when you don't pay your engineers market rate and they start reaching for whatever is closest and trying to improve it to justify a raise

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Justify a trip to the guillotine if you ask me.

Some engineers I worked with once upon a time used xml for programming, they felt it was "better" to parse the xml into python and eval it than letting users write python. This project didn't end well.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Hadlock posted:

The day is just starting but I can't see you being wrong.

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

Hadlock posted:

https://thenewstack.io/with-yamlscript-yaml-becomes-a-proper-programming-language/

:psypop:

I suspect this is what happens when you don't pay your engineers market rate and they start reaching for whatever is closest and trying to improve it to justify a raise

I used to work with the creator, and this doesn't surprise me at all.

People struggle enough with YAML as it is, let alone the various ${{}} additions we see all over the place where this is going to add to that

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

lol we need another programming language, and it should be built on YAML

OK

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Finally, my Ansible can become truly unreadable!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

Some engineers I worked with once upon a time used xml for programming, they felt it was "better" to parse the xml into python and eval it than letting users write python. This project didn't end well.

lol homegrown cold fusion

I kind of appreciate the perverse though process of knowing that JSON is legal javascript and setting out to confabulate the hosed language that YAML is a subset of

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

xzzy posted:

Let’s add the creator of the abomination that is jsonnet to that trip as well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I can’t believe a guy who calls himself “Ingy döt net” came up with a dumb and bad idea

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

https://github.com/yaml/yamlscript posted:

Even though YAMLScript often has the look of an imperative programming language, it actually is just a (YAML based) syntax that compiles to Clojure code.

it's good actually, and so is yaml.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Docjowles posted:

I can’t believe a guy who calls himself “Ingy döt net” came up with a dumb and bad idea

https://resume.ingy.net/

quote:

Notes

The complete source code for this resume can be found here

This resume was written in the Swim markup language which I created based on the Pegex parser framework which I also created.

at some point it is time to admit you have a problem

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

NihilCredo posted:

Sums up how some of the software I ended up taking over was written.

Every single part of the process had to involve something he had created where even a simple front end website that could have been vanilla JS instead required you to install perl and <some other stuff I cannot remember>. All of this due to the fact it wasn't html and js you were working on, it was some form of created-here templating language that required a 4 stage build to turn into nearly-legal html and JS files that you could then run locally.

Your one line change would have to wait for the 5minute build process to finish to see the result locally.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

Everything about this shouts "Perl developer" in the loudest voice you've ever heard

CPAN? More like CPEP :smug:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
A sales rep from our local isp called me to offer an upgrade to my current package. As we were chatting, I mentioned that I used to work for them, before I retired.

The rep politely asked me what I used to do there, to which I explained that I was one of the sysadmins for the entire build and deployment pipeline. She then asked me what I had worked on, to which I named a certain project.

She got really excited and told me that she couldn't believe she was talking to me right now.

I was a little confused until she explained that they were spinning up five or six new projects based on my work.

lol, If only I could get royalties, but that's not how big companies work.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
is this the right thread for docker questions?

I'm looking to be able to whip up some demo streamlit apps to get some stuff in front of team mates and other users to try.

Got another guy on the data science team who's already stood one up on an on-prem server, and chatting with him mentioned + showed me that I should be able to ssh into there and if I wanted to, mount a volume on it for my own docker containers and sort of "carve out my own space"

I'm pretty new when it comes to docker, I've got the concepts down I think fairly, but my only real experience has been on my own machines locally or with docker desktop. I was under the impression that volumes were for persisting storage or databases used by multiple containers on the same docker server, so I'm not really sure I understood what he meant by being able to sort of "carve out my own space" with a volume. I don't get the impression any of this is setup for CI/CD so I'm also scared of messing anything up as I'm mainly used to just launching containers from gitlab runners/pipelines and pre-built yaml configs, so this sounds much more uhh...hands on?

Anyone point me in the right direction about what I should be reading up on to understand this workflow?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 14, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oysters Autobio posted:

Got another guy on the data science team who's already stood one up on an on-prem server, and chatting with him mentioned + showed me that I should be able to ssh into there and if I wanted to, mount a volume on it for my own docker containers and sort of "carve out my own space"

Anyone point me in the right direction about what I should be reading up on to understand this workflow?

If you're going down this path, maybe just install K3S on the server, then you can kubectl exec -it my-docker-container bash without needing to distribute/update ssh keys. Also you can namespace containers so you're not stepping on eachother's shoes. So you'd `create namespace oysters` and then `kubectl exec -it oysters-autobio bash -n oysters` and the data science guys could keep their containers over in the `-n datasci` namespace, or whatever

https://github.com/k3s-io/k3s/?tab=readme-ov-file#quick-start---install-script

If you want to get real sloppy, everyone can share a single ./kube/config file, or once you figure out what the hell you're doing, you can spawn addtional service accounts for each user and corresponding kube config files. Best practice is to put an IAM system in front of it, but that should get you off the ground for week 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Oysters Autobio posted:

I'm looking to be able to whip up some demo streamlit apps to get some stuff in front of team mates and other users to try.

I'm pretty new when it comes to docker, I've got the concepts down I think fairly, but my only real experience has been on my own machines locally or with docker desktop. I was under the impression that volumes were for persisting storage or databases used by multiple containers on the same docker server, so I'm not really sure I understood what he meant by being able to sort of "carve out my own space" with a volume. I don't get the impression any of this is setup for CI/CD so I'm also scared of messing anything up as I'm mainly used to just launching containers from gitlab runners/pipelines and pre-built yaml configs, so this sounds much more uhh...hands on?

I had not heard of streamlit before; poked around and saw the App Gallery examples ( https://streamlit.io/gallery ) and it looks cool / useful to me: I know Python, some data science, etc, but not html.

Trying to answer your question:
How is your team member launching things? Assuming it's "by hand": with 'docker run'? kubectl (kubernetes)? podman (RHEL)? docker compose? ...? Ask him that, first
Then, yes, volumes are for persisting storage. How to create a volume depends on the answer to the above question. I'm not sure if you need a volume, at least initially, if you're not needing to create/save data. Maybe you might need one if you want to bring some data.

Looks like there are some tutorials, however I'm not sure that they are that newbie friendly:
https://docs.streamlit.io/knowledge-base/tutorials/deploy/docker
https://docs.streamlit.io/knowledge-base/tutorials/deploy/kubernetes

As for the next step....honestly my best suggestion would be to ask for a demo from your coworker. If they have something working, then just replicate whatever they did. Once you have something working, then you can dive into the details of things like "how to create/change a volume"