Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Hot drat! Thanks!

I just learned it’s backwards compatible which means, yeah, family is probably getting a new console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Baggot posted:

Walmart and GameStop have the PS5 bundles including Spider-Man 2 for $50 off. Regular price is $500 for disc model, $450 for digital model, and the sale prices are $450 for disc model, and $400 for digital model. Additionally, GameStop has an extra $25 off for in-store or pickup purchases of more than $250, bringing the discount up to $75 for each model.

Walmart:
Disc: https://www.walmart.com/ip/PlayStation-5-Disc-Console-Slim-Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-Bundle/5113183758
Digital: https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/5395472295

GameStop:
Disc: https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-h...dle/402303.html
Digital: https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-h...dle/404824.html

Thanks for this post, I just ran down the street and grabbed this deal at GameStop. The death of my marriage is on your shoulders

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's on amazon as well if anyone's using their reward card. I'm tempted since I'm still happily gaming on a 10 year old ps4 that is loud as all getout

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yeah this will be the year of the ps5 for me. So it’s fully backward compatible? I thought about switching to Xbox over it, but that may be enough to keep me sucked in.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Seaniqua posted:

Thanks for this post, I just ran down the street and grabbed this deal at GameStop. The death of my marriage is on your shoulders

lol, I’m picking it up on the way home from work. Baggot missing out on some commission.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah this will be the year of the ps5 for me. So it’s fully backward compatible? I thought about switching to Xbox over it, but that may be enough to keep me sucked in.

I think there's literally like a handful of games that don't work in backwards compatibility, but yeah, it's also pretty much a ps4

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Seaniqua posted:

JGdmn posted:

lol, I’m picking it up on the way home from work. Baggot missing out on some commission.

You're both very welcome, happy to help! During the launch year in the apex of covid, I bought and resold a dozen PS5s at zero profit to myself (including several to goons) just to fight back against scalpers. I'm also looking forward to the NCAA game, hope it's good!

LeeMajors posted:

It is, yes. If you care about playing PS4 discs then make sure you get the model with a disc drive.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LeeMajors posted:

for any game that matters it is backward compatible, and many late ps4 games have free or $10 ps5 upgrades in available.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Awesome that’s good news. I’ll grab a disc model most likely because I have a handful of ps4 discs I’d like to keep up with.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

LeeMajors posted:

Awesome that’s good news. I’ll grab a disc model most likely because I have a handful of ps4 discs I’d like to keep up with.

Don't forget your library may have a lending network you can get discs in. I have access to two and it's kept gaming costs absolutely minimal. Sadly, it's not so good for games for the kid (kids gently caress up discs) but works fine for stuff like yakuza. Then I can PC game with the $1.50/mo xbox stuff, and get switch carts from the library as well. Great time to be alive.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
This is also the age of remote play which is huge especially for those of us who have families and can’t just hide in the basement playing video games all day. I’ve streamed to my Steam Deck while having coffee in the morning on the weekends. I’ve remoted into my Xbox (in NY) from an iPad at my in-laws in CA with no issues. I foresee myself doing a majority of my NCAA gaming via remote play while watching TV with the wife after the kids are down.

It’s honestly a total game changer

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's coming out on PC, right? It would be nice if I can justify my PC tinkering habits to my wife.

The recent Madden and FIFA EA FC games have been on PC, it should be there.

When my PS4’s disc drive decided to die, the only reasonable thing was to get a PS5 to keep access to that library. So the only choice is Xbox or PS5 when the time comes this summer.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/alabamasb/status/1768081710774698273

Yeesh

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I like when other sports programs reference the other, better known sports program as a way of sharing beef.

Like you never hear about the football team winning one for the lacrosse team vendetta or whatever

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee played Connecticut in football last year and there was a lot of women's basketball talk

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Our pitching is the worst its been in a decade this year smh

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Jeremor posted:

I like when other sports programs reference the other, better known sports program as a way of sharing beef.

Like you never hear about the football team winning one for the lacrosse team vendetta or whatever

softball is pretty huge at alabama and all of the south, oklahoma and texas. Probably 3rd at bama behind football and mens hoops.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

softball is pretty huge at alabama and all of the south, oklahoma and texas. Probably 3rd at bama behind football and mens hoops.

If it wasn't for the football program softball would be Oklahoma's #1 sport. They just built a new stadium for 53 million while telling the basketball program to get bent.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Fluffdaddy posted:

Sarah Patterson and I are going to fight you in the street.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Warbird posted:

Sarah Patterson and I are going to fight you in the street.

She retired a decade ago and the team hasnt been to the super six since 2017. Meanwhile, softball stays in the world series

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

OSU insiders seem to think the RB coach job is Robert Gillespie's if he wants it and that there's interest on his part. Would be interesting to see if Justice Haynes comes with him. Henderson will be gone after this year. Judkins will almost certainly be going with him. Hayden may follow Alford up north or finally pull the trigger on a Tennessee transfer with Alford gone. Haynes would be all but guaranteed to start in 2025.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Texas Tech's best sport is apparently Track & Field. 3 national titles in the last 5 years.

T&F awards 6 national titles per year, 1 each for men's & women's in cross country, indoor, and outdoor, so there are technically more chances, but still. Indoor & outdoor teams are generally the same athletes, while cross country has its own set of scholarships.

And yet we still celebrate the 2019 Basketball loss as the high point in Tech sports for the last 3 decades...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Ttus best sport is meat judging

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Metapod posted:

Ttus best sport is meat judging

Fair. I wasn't considering the non-athletic or non-mainstream competitions. Cheer also has a number of national titles, and the chess program is still top 10 despite the traitorous Polgar moving her team out of Lubbock.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/on3sports/status/1768375260900913574?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Imagine a Shocked Pikachu but like, big enough that it's casting a shadow across the earth.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So based on Staples' article, it doesn't sound like he knows whether the previously discussed 3-3-2-2-1 autobids are part of the deal or not (since ESPN had reported earlier that the SEC and Big Ten were backing off of that idea). Frankly if the ACC and Big 12 aren't guaranteed 2 autobids, I don't know why they'd take this deal. If it's simply a 5-9 format, they're basically shutting themselves out of a first round bye with little assurance they're going to place multiple teams with any regularity.

If by some chance the 3-3-2-2-1 autobids (and three at-large) is implemented, I have some questions that I don't think I ever saw addressed:

Are the runner up autobids (numbers 2-3 for SEC/Big Ten, number 2 for ACC/Big 12) based on committee rankings, or are they based on the actual formal conference standings with all of the arcane tiebreakers?

-If they're based on committee rankings, isn't there an arguable advantage to finishing 3rd in the ACC/Big 12 standings rather than second? If there's a real world-beater at the top of the conference that year, aren't you better off missing the CCG and letting the number 2 team in the standings take the extra loss?

-If they're based on conference standings, what are the stakes of the ACC and Big 12 championship games, if the SEC and Big Ten are formally guaranteed the first round bye? I guess maybe the winner gets a home game in round 1, but maybe the loser also gets a home game in round 1? Are they at least guaranteed the 3 and 4 seeds? If so, is the G5 champ guaranteed the 5 seed?

Broader question- what's the actual benefit for the Big Ten and SEC in this 14 team model? They're assuring themselves realistically 8-9 playoff spots per year, but under the existing 12-team system they were already realistically going to get 7-9 teams in most years. I understand that they're demanding a bigger share of the revenue now, but they could've done that already with the 12-team model. Is the actual underlying bargain that they're tossing the Big 12 and ACC each an extra playoff bid (and expanding the overall revenue pool a bit with 2 extra games) in exchange for a bigger revenue share?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 14, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That tail sure is wagging the dog.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

I'll save you the click:

- 14 teams
- No auto-byes
- Sounds like just 5 auto-births, no bonus auto births for SEC/Big Ten
- 29% to SEC/Big Ten, 17% to Big XII, 14% to ACC, 9% to split amongst the G5, 1% for Notre Dame, and the change to be split amongst the remaining independents (UConn, Oregon State, Wazzu.)

For the record, I've loved the format for the Big XII's basketball tournament this year, with its 14 teams and top 4 getting double byes. It's a format that I didn't think about, but it's been really entertaining.

But I don't think they'd go for a 5 round playoff in football and #'s 12-14 needing to win 5 straight. I'm guessing the 4 round playoff will remain with just 2 teams getting byes.

e: Actually, thinking about it more... I could see them doing the 5 round playoff. Lets you shed the G5 champ, and a few runners up from the tournament much earlier while guaranteeing your big names (the ones that secured the top 4 spots) make it through to the later rounds.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 14, 2024

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

I'll save you the click:

- 14 teams
- No auto-byes
- Sounds like just 5 auto-births, no bonus auto births for SEC/Big Ten
- 29% to SEC/Big Ten, 17% to Big XII, 14% to ACC, 9% to split amongst the G5, 1% for Notre Dame, and the change to be split amongst the remaining independents (UConn, Oregon State, Wazzu.)

Taking a closer look, it sounds like the 11 auto-berths (that I had extensive questions about above) may still be on the table; it sounds like the part they've publicly backed off on is auto-byes specifically for the Big Ten and SEC.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
They should change the format every year and make it its own thing, like the Selection Sunday show. Just make it Calvinball.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Its a placeholder anyway

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In five years it'll just be the north versus the south

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Superconferences and networks bumblefucking their way to FCS's 24-team tournament

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

General Dog posted:

Taking a closer look, it sounds like the 11 auto-berths (that I had extensive questions about above) may still be on the table; it sounds like the part they've publicly backed off on is auto-byes specifically for the Big Ten and SEC.

Good

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Superconferences and networks bumblefucking their way to FCS's 24-team tournament

lol but good

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Cthulu Carl posted:

December Madness Delirium

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

e: Actually, thinking about it more... I could see them doing the 5 round playoff. Lets you shed the G5 champ, and a few runners up from the tournament much earlier while guaranteeing your big names (the ones that secured the top 4 spots) make it through to the later rounds.

I don't see how you could do five weeks unless it starts the week after the conference championships and Army/Navy are willing to move off the date. You need to have the championship game done before the NFL season wraps now that the NFL is willing to hold a Playoff game on MNF. Looking ahead to 2016, you'd have conference championships on 12/4-5, Army/Navy on 12/12, and then four straight weeks of playoffs to finish on 1/11/27. If you start any later you run into the NFL postseason.

Either college would have to fully start the week before Labor Day and the conference championships would need to be Thanksgiving week to have a five-week playoff, or you'd have to convince the NFL to give up a playoff MNF game. I don't see either happening.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It has come to my attention (via Bomani Jones’ podcast) that somebody has dug out the Seventh Floor Crew video, and these kids who like the commentary stylings of Greg Olsen are learning that the man has a few bars in him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That was the dumbest scandal.

UAB football barely got any notice for actually doing far, far worse than what The U players were just rapping about