Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

the Dark Souls of video game genre definition arguments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Roguelikes: +5% genre arguments for all future threads

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Rougelikes: Berlin-walling that interpretation

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How can Berlin claim s*** when it's not even in Rogue

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

can we just gas this stupid loving thread by now, honestly

This is not generally considered to be Berlin,

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

This thread is starting to feel procgen, with a bad seed.:mmmhmm:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Herbotron posted:

the Dark Souls of video game genre definition arguments
Now that's a genre where meta progression is a core value, to the point that it's enforced.
Just like how traditional roguelikes took dungeon crawlers and set a save paradigm where you can't go back because everything resets, soulslikes took dungeon crawlers and set saves up so you can't go back because almost nothing resets. Every resource spent failing makes the next run that much harder.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

/wakes up
/clicks on thread

Omg the definition discussion is still on going!

Ok, I will participate briefly. Roguelike is a bad genre definition and the name is a clue. The nerds at the convention didn't even try to abstract what the game was about so it could be applied more generally, as a genre label, no, they just invented a sliding scale to measure how close something is to Rogue. That's why I say the name is a clue. Hell It could be argued it doesn't even try to be a genre label, but just that, how similar is new game x to this specific game.

A better definition would be something like 'step-based action rpg', where "step" refers to the simultaneous turn system where you do atomic single actions (ie. move one tile, attack one time) and the world advances too a single action. So I would call it 'SARPG', something different to 'SRPG' (Strategic RPG) and 'ARPG' (Action RPG). So I'm defining the genre as having three things
-the step-based system
-It's focused on combat and killing, hence 'action'
-it has rpg progression, and usual rpg elements like loot, character classes and/or abilities/perks, npc traders, etc

I think this would capture fairly close what trad roguelikes are without being particularly anal about some specificities like modal vs non-modal or procgen vs non procgen.

Of course the same FPS has grown over the years to include arena multiplayer and tactical fps, and adventure fps, etc, you also can have SARPG without less focus on action and more on exploration and simulation, others with an actual plot instead of simple 'complete the dungeon', etc.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 13, 2024

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
"You and What Army," was sort of neat from that 7drl selection. The self aware space probe one was a little bit too easy to solve, still not sure what obelisks were for other than suicide.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

bobthenameless posted:

the fundamental axiom of roguelikes is "it uses the numpad or hjklyubn for character movement" imo

I think I bought a mousepad from Hjklyubn on amazon.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

/wakes up
/clicks on thread
A better definition would be something like 'step-based action rpg', where "step" refers to the simultaneous turn system where you do atomic single actions (ie. move one tile, attack one time) and the world advances too a single action. So I would call it 'SARPG', something different to 'SRPG' (Strategic RPG) and 'ARPG' (Action RPG). So I'm defining the genre as having three things
-the step-based system
-It's focused on combat and killing, hence 'action'
-it has rpg progression, and usual rpg elements like loot, character classes and/or abilities/perks, npc traders, etc

Disclaimer: I am arguing for the fun of it, I don't care about the Berlin interpretation or whatever at this point now that poker is a roguelike apparently :argh:

I think my favourite roguelike for awhile now has been FTL, and I guess we can contort real time with pause (RTwP) as fitting this definition, if we just twist it so that a second (or whatever the actual 'ticks' are that the game counts time by) is a step, you progress in the game by destroying other ships somehow, and you level up your crew and ship with rewards from actions. The game is very modal compared to Nethack, the shop screen is unique and you can't rob them, there are separate step screens for ship-to-ship interactions and traversing the map(s!), and you can't access all screens at all times. FTL has both crew races with racial bonuses and maluses, and different starting ships, too.

It's been probably over a decade since I last ascended in Nethack, but I began my ~*Roguelike Journey*~ with it, and what FTL captures the most out of that gaming experience are the highs and the lows that come with the RNG and the permadeath aspects of choices. FTL permits many kinds of viable strategies for ascending murdering the dumb boss ship, and it can be fun doing a stupid gimmick ship build for the heck of it. Corollary: a lot of situations are survivable but can blow major chunks. You've based your run on a boarding crew and either get hosed by the enemy or make a mistake and your punchy boys die? That has almost the exact same feels as when you blow up your BoH in Nethack. A lot of the time it's still possible to dig up from that hole, but there is a definite hot minute there when you want to commit violence. And the RNG can absolutely just give you a bullshit situation where you just die and there was nothing you could do; these have arguably more variety in Nethack due to that game having more mechanics with which to do it, but getting stranded in a part of the early dungeon and having a pack of ants or bees spawn between you and the stairs is pretty much the same thing as jumping onto a ship that instantly blows up your engines and oxygen and your crew consists of two mantises. Feels-wise.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rappaport posted:

It's been probably over a decade since I last ascended in Nethack, but I began my ~*Roguelike Journey*~ with it, and what FTL captures the most out of that gaming experience are the highs and the lows that come with the RNG and the permadeath aspects of choices.

Roguelike is a vibe, not a definition :eng101:

It was kind of an interesting mental exercise to go over what deckbuilding roguelikes I would recommend to someone cold (turns out, almost none, and nothing that's a traditional StS clone)

So thinking about more 'normal' roguelikes, if you were going to recommend 3-5 games to someone interested in the genre, what would they be?

I'd probably go

Caves of Qud
Jupiter Hell
edit: Brogue!

I'd think about Cogmind. It's so mean, but a certain type of person would vibe with it. Similarly, Dungeonmans for those that'd dig the tongue in cheek.

Extending it to action roguelites would balloon the list massively, there's far too many good ones, even going slightly off the beaten path of Hades/Risk of Rain 2/Dead Cells, there's tons of stuff like Curse of the Dead Gods, Astral Ascent, Warm Snow, Mortal Sin, Nova Drift, Roboquest, Star of Providence, BPM, etcetcetc, there's almost too many to list, even if I was trying to condense it to a small set of recommendations. Would depend heavily on if I knew their tastes or not.

And speaking of words are made up and mean nothing, Project Warlock shows up in my library when I filter by just 'roguelike', what the gently caress - it's a non procedural FPS mirroring Wolf3d :psyduck:

victrix fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 13, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rappaport posted:

Corollary: a lot of situations are survivable but can blow major chunks. You've based your run on a boarding crew and either get hosed by the enemy or make a mistake and your punchy boys die? That has almost the exact same feels as when you blow up your BoH in Nethack. A lot of the time it's still possible to dig up from that hole, but there is a definite hot minute there when you want to commit violence.

Hah, just came to the thread to vent about exactly that! Accidentally discovered some new content in Cogmind a run or two ago but screwed the pooch, so have been trying to figure out how to get back to that spot. Did a song and a dance to get to a certain locked door that requires a certain passphrase, and as I step up to it I trigger an explosive trap, which hurts me and obliterates the access terminal, leaving nothing but a lonesome impervious blast door at the end of an empty corridor in the rear end-end of nowhere.

I alt-f4'd.

Dynamic storytelling my rear end.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Lost in Prayer has an Alpha trailer now~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2849500/Lost_in_Prayer/

quote:

Lost in Prayer is a traditional grid-based roguelike in which everything that kills you becomes playable. As a disembodied soul, possess the inhabitants of the afterlife to conquer either Heaven or Hell as you seek the final deliverance you were promised.

Are you a sinner, or are you virtuous? As a lost soul stuck in Purgatory, prove yourself in a gauntlet against Hell’s minions or defy the divine as you raid Heaven so you may earn your final deliverance.

Lost in Prayer is a grid based, turn based roguelike true to its roots. You can expect all the qualities that make the genre so compelling, such as mind twisting tactical decisions, expansive build options, high replay value thanks to procedural generations and hoards of content.

Key Features
Procedurally generated levels ensures no two runs are the same
Raid either Hell of Heaven to keep things fresh at every run
Permadeath keeps you on your toes at all time
Unlock anything that kills you as a playable character
Unique skill trees that offer a variety of playstyles
Push, pull and manipulate your enemies to cause chain reactions

An Intuitive Traditional Roguelike
A conscious effort was made to make Lost in Prayer less daunting to play for newcomers to this genre, without diluting the vast possibilities that they are known to offer. So whether or not you know what we mean by the “Berlin interpretation of Roguelike”, you should be able to enjoy the game.

Two Paths to Victory
Heaven and Hell both have their own inhabitants, environments, traps and quirks. If you’re tired of dying in one route, pick the other and your early experience will be radically different from your previous run.

Death Opens New Doors
Anything that kills you become playable for your subsequent runs. Will you be tempted to die on purpose to unlock the creature you face? Dying is more bittersweet when the boss that took you down becomes the instrument of your revenge.

Cunning Tactics Will Be Rewarded
Pull an enemy into the projectile of its allies, push that pesky demon into a pit, slam that pretentious angel into a wall. The odds are stacked against you, so whether it is part of your environment or a combination of your own abilities, seize any opportunities to gain the upper hand.

Getting to play as whatever takes you out is a good idea, from the same fever-plane as IVAN in spirit.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Hello, I suck at roguelites roguelikes roguelike rougetrikes but god drat I finally completed all 8 ante's in Balatro. Yes I immediately lost right after.

Please clap thank you.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

corrected for Berlin compatibility

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

I will argue that metaprogression, as commonly implemented, is absolutely not a legitimate part of the genre or a natural evolution of it. It is directly contrary to the design philosophy that established the genre. This is not the same as declaring that Halo isn't an FPS because there's vehicles; this is like declaring that Grand Theft Auto isn't a racing game because the point of the game isn't racing.

its a convenient way of dealing with the frustration of failed runs in a roguelike, and people like seeing number go up

cock hero flux posted:

As a baseline, a roguelike in the original sense is a turn-based RPG. A roguelike is differentiated from the broader category of turn-based RPGs by two defining features: permadeath and randomly generated layout. Now, if you examine the design philosophy that leads to this, you can figure out, in at least a nebulous sense, what the "point" of a roguelike is. ie: why did roguelikes break the standard conventions of the RPG genre in this way consistently to the point where they became a recognizable sub-genre? An RPG is expected to have a save/load system that allows players to restart after loss from places other than the beginning, and it is expected to have a fixed layout that does not change even if the game is completely restarted. What were the developers of the various defining roguelikes hoping to accomplish by doing the opposite of this: making RPGs where you start over from nothing every time you lose, and in which the layout is randomly generated each time? Well, the straightforward answer is that they were trying to make each run a unique and new challenge, to make sure that the player was forced to approach them from a blank slate rather than carrying anything over from prior runs, and to prevent the pitfall often encountered in other RPGs where players are able to retry specific sections over and over again until they luck their way through. So, the goal was that each run would be a fresh challenge that players would have to overcome through their own skill at the game rather than by brute force retrying or by being able to overwhelm it with power acquired previously. With that in mind, consider the implication of metaprogression as typically implemented. This is not speaking to stuff like TOME's metaprogression of unlocking starting options. This is about metaprogression where the player's starting power level increases based on things that happen in previous runs. What does the addition of that do to the original design philosophy? In my estimation, it fatally undermines by breaking the layer separation between runs. Because dying makes you more powerful, brute forcing your way through the game by simply puffing your power level up to the point where you can complete it becomes a viable, and in some cases the only viable, strategy for winning. This is not an evolution of the original concept; it is a total reversal of it.

i will agree that metaprogression that adds power to your character kinda sucks, which is why i think most roguelikes have moved on to it just unlocking more stuff. even then i think theres still room for it, hades for example uses it as a way to pace its story and it works really well

babypolis fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 13, 2024

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
So, Backpack Battles hit its full release, and it's a pretty enjoyable little experience. The new characters have fun gimmicks.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ZCKaiser posted:

So, Backpack Battles hit its full release, and it's a pretty enjoyable little experience. The new characters have fun gimmicks.

Do you mean Backpack Hero or is there another roguelite with backpack mechanics?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Backpack Battles is very similar, but it's a PvP game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Do you mean Backpack Hero or is there another roguelite with backpack mechanics?

Backpack Battles is an inventory management PVP auto battler like TFT/hearthstone battlegrounds/Super Auto Pets etc.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tequila Bob posted:

All this talk about genre definitions prompted me to re-read the Berlin Interpretation, and:

It is WAY WORSE than I remember. It's next to useless, and has probably harmed the genre almost as much as Rogue Legacy.

The lowights, for me are:

3. Non-modal. This is why more classic RLs have you "quaff" potions or "evoke" wands or whatever, and why newer ones forget this stupid requirement and just show you an easy inventory menu.

5. Hack-n-slash. They buried a turd here. Read it to the end, especially this part: "there are no monster/monster relations (like enmities, or diplomacy)". Tricking enemies into fighting each other is incredibly fun I think, especially in Shiren, and seeing how they interact naturally in Caves of Qud is also interesting. Trying to legislate it out - as a footnote - is embarassing.

6. Single player character. More than the other items on the list, I do get why they put it here, but I still dislike it. A squad-based roguelike could be great IMO. FTL approaches this idea very nicely.

Behold -- a roguelike!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Heads up, Nova Drift is going on deep sale now for the last time in a good while according to the dev - 1.0 is coming out at some point this year but the game is already bursting at the seams with content

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/858210/view/4115799300833592818?l=english

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/858210/view/4115799300833592818?snr=1_5_9_

goferchan posted:

Behold -- a roguelike!

I will love this thread forever

Serephina posted:

Hah, just came to the thread to vent about exactly that! Accidentally discovered some new content in Cogmind a run or two ago but screwed the pooch, so have been trying to figure out how to get back to that spot. Did a song and a dance to get to a certain locked door that requires a certain passphrase, and as I step up to it I trigger an explosive trap, which hurts me and obliterates the access terminal, leaving nothing but a lonesome impervious blast door at the end of an empty corridor in the rear end-end of nowhere.

I alt-f4'd.

Dynamic storytelling my rear end.

cracking up this came right after I posted 'Cogmind is mean'

victrix fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 13, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Heads up, Nova Drift is going on deep sale now for the last time in a good while according to the dev - 1.0 is coming out at some point this year but the game is already bursting at the seams with content

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/858210/view/4115799300833592818?l=english

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/858210/view/4115799300833592818?snr=1_5_9_

WTF, Nova Drift is still in Early Access? I played it years ago and felt it was a finished product back then.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

WTF, Nova Drift is still in Early Access? I played it years ago and felt it was a finished product back then.

It's very VRUHH in that it could have launched and felt good ages ago yeah, I think the only real major thing to be added is the final boss for non-endless mode

There's a dizzying number of upgrades at this point, I wonder if it has a non terrible wiki

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Everyone buy and play the gently caress out of Novadrift. It is incredible.

Anyone try out the Desktop Dungeons remake thingie? Does it have gamepad support? I never played the original because circa ‘11 and ‘12 I was mired in DCSS to the exclusion of pretty much all other games.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

unattended spaghetti posted:

Anyone try out the Desktop Dungeons remake thingie? Does it have gamepad support? I never played the original because circa ‘11 and ‘12 I was mired in DCSS to the exclusion of pretty much all other games.

It's bad. Bad UI, new graphical style is annoying and unreadable, looks like a lovely mobile game. Stick to the original.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It's kind of sad because you can tell that the devs of desktop dungeons have a lot of passion for it, but I also feel like the ugly original free alpha/demo version was the best iteration of the game and everything since then has just diluted the purity of the premise.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

King of Bleh posted:

It's kind of sad because you can tell that the devs of desktop dungeons have a lot of passion for it, but I also feel like the ugly original free alpha/demo version was the best iteration of the game and everything since then has just diluted the purity of the premise.

I feel the exact same way about Spelunky.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Serephina posted:

I liked hd and despised the second. Feel like when creating a sequel you should listen to more than just the top tier expert players. Definitely one of the biggest disappointments for me out of something I figured I'd love without hesitation.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Serephina posted:

I love the look of pixel freeware Spelunky, but if nothing else Spelunky HD is pretty simply expanding upon what's in the freeware version.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

King of Bleh posted:

Serephina posted:

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Just get the original DD. The remake is the same but you see less information at a time because of the new graphics.

Still a fun game but the remake wasn't really necessary.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

King of Bleh posted:

this is Dwarf Fortress for me

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

FWIW I like Rewind. I prefer the graphical style of the original Steam release but Rewind's a decent update (and I also like the improved balance). I do agree the UI isn't great, yeah. It does have gamepad support, I should know, I'm translating text strings for it right this very moment :v: The improved combat prediction in particular is great, though I miss the codex.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Steam Recommendations posted:

LONESTAR is a strategic
I like strategy!

Roguelike
:hmmyes:

spaceship
gently caress yeah!

deckbuilder
:barf:

I'm starting to think it's never gonna end.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The new Shiren is cool.

The trailer did mention a theme of “back to basics,” but it’s funny just how similar it is to the first Shiren. I recognize a ton of the enemies. At least that riceball guy hasn’t shown up yet, though I’m sure they will eventually.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I like strategy!

:hmmyes:

gently caress yeah!

:barf:

I'm starting to think it's never gonna end.

i think it's over for us roguelikers who don't care for cards, its taken over like metaprogression
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lonestar is uh... not that