Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Guys can we not turn this into a "shame people into voting for biden" thread? We had a separate thread in 2020 for it. It's exhausting.

It's not even shaming. It's a reminder that regardless of anyone's opinions on the matter the federal electoral system is first past the post. The "correct" way to vote in a general election under these circumstances is to select your favorite (or least objectionable) viable candidate. Voting third party, spoiling your vote, or skipping voting for an office or entirely is not a meaningful protest and only helps your less preferred candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's not even shaming. It's a reminder that regardless of anyone's opinions on the matter the federal electoral system is first past the post. The "correct" way to vote in a general election under these circumstances is to select your favorite (or least objectionable) viable candidate. Voting third party, spoiling your vote, or skipping voting for an office or entirely is not a meaningful protest and only helps your less preferred candidate.

And the GOP understands this full well which is why they've repeatedly pushed and even funded spoiler candidates in both Green Party and Libertarian party members.

The only way voting Third Party matters is if you get Ranked Choice voting passed.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Mr. Nice! posted:

Guys can we not turn this into a "shame people into voting for biden" thread? We had a separate thread in 2020 for it. It's exhausting.
I'm not seeing anyone shaming anyone, just pointing out facts. If people are feeling shame when those facts are raised, well :shrug:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Just because you don't vote doesn't mean democracy is dead.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

lightpole posted:

They've made it clear that round 1 was just a taste and they are going all in on destroying anything not straight, white, male, rich.

https://twitter.com/cjwarnke/status/1767885323990618591?t=T6u_m8a9aRtZgCsILy30xw&s=19

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

The really stupid part of that is they could definitely win some of those votes, especially people who vote straight ticket.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Apparently Donnie's appeal bond company got some emails from some customers questioning why they're in the Donnie appeal bond business. They inadvertently led to some news - Donnie did post full collateral for the bond.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1767975959200764079?t=ApT7syjfmh4Y2_z1uzQ68w&s=19

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Apparently Donnie's appeal bond company got some emails from some customers questioning why they're in the Donnie appeal bond business. They inadvertently led to some news - Donnie did post full collateral for the bond.

https://twitter.com/joshgerstein/status/1767975959200764079?t=ApT7syjfmh4Y2_z1uzQ68w&s=19
So they DO want their new HQ to be 40 Wall Street.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The way I've always preferred to phrase it is that in a First Past The Post system, you're never really voting for someone. You're voting against someone by picking the person most likely to beat them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MonkeyFit posted:

The way I've always preferred to phrase it is that in a First Past The Post system, you're never really voting for someone. You're voting against someone by picking the person most likely to beat them.

Which is exactly what the people who sell you to rich people but make better tweets understand.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Which is exactly what the people who sell you to rich people but make better tweets understand.

And that will be the status quo until we implement a better voting system. Ranked choice might not be the ultimate system, but it's probably our best shot at getting away from a two party system.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
No raindrop thinks it is part of the flood.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was titled something like “griping about voting for a rapist thread”, in case you want to look it up (don’t).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's wild to think that all it takes to avoid an obvious despot is showing up and checking a box, and there's a real chance people like, won't do it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's wild to think that all it takes to get a good candidate is showing up and checking a box, and there's people actively arguing you shouldn't do that and should instead pick the 2nd worst choice.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
LEFT HAND: voting is important. even if you don't like the candidate, it's important to vote for them just so that the even worse one doesn't win.

RIGHT HAND: my individual vote doesn't matter for the presidential race, just like it hasn't mattered in the last (X) elections. i do not care.

BOTH LEGS: *running furiously off the nearest cliff face*

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

CainFortea posted:

there's people actively arguing you shouldn't do that and should instead pick the 2nd worst choice.

That's how a First Past The Post system works, has always worked, and always will work. Nobody is saying we don't want good candidates. We just recognize the realities and constraints of our current system, and understand that keeping the worst candidate out is better than relying on hopes and dreams that large swaths of the American public will simultaneously have an epiphany and start actually examining candidates and voting in their own best interests.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

MonkeyFit posted:

And that will be the status quo until we implement a better voting system. Ranked choice might not be the ultimate system, but it's probably our best shot at getting away from a two party system.

it'll probably still result in a de facto two-party system. access to party resources and endorsements is important for campaigning, and you can pool more of those with a big tent. on the other side of the fence, the way the house and senate work encourages forming as large a coalition as you can. what it does provide is elimination of primaries (which tend to have fewer, more partisan voters) and tactical voting considerations, since you can vote for a less likely candidate while still having your vote count towards someone else you'd prefer if that less likely candidate loses

presidential races are still pretty fucky due to the horse race and electoral college aspect. ranked choice at the state level for those won't help as much unless everyone does it, since you still have a horse race otherwise

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

it'll probably still result in a de facto two-party system. access to party resources and endorsements is important for campaigning, and you can pool more of those with a big tent. on the other side of the fence, the way the house and senate work encourages forming as large a coalition as you can. what it does provide is elimination of primaries (which tend to have fewer, more partisan voters) and tactical voting considerations, since you can vote for a less likely candidate while still having your vote count towards someone else you'd prefer if that less likely candidate loses

presidential races are still pretty fucky due to the horse race and electoral college aspect. ranked choice at the state level for those won't help as much unless everyone does it, since you still have a horse race otherwise

Electoral college let us down 100%. It was a text book case and they got either bought off or they themselves let ideology they hoped he would champion sway them.
He never did anything prior to running to show that he was suited for the job besides the little tricks of popularity.
Even *spit* Reagan at least did state level stuff first before running for President.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/donlemon/status/1767949937894121894?t=GkdTEDMHemhEYzxrdPNW_g&s=19

I guess Don asked him about his use of ketamine and that made Elmo have a mad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I will not vote for any octogenarian for POTUS.

Nor will I vote for the RFK/Aaron Rodgers ticket.

Guess it’s an all down ballot year for me. Guess I’ll have to get stupidly involved in researching the dozens of ballot initiatives that will have no information really on them at time of vote.

I loving hate politics.

Man I think Biden's too old to be POTUS again too but I'm still gonna vote for him. Like pretty much the worst that can happen is he dies in office and frankly that's a sacrifice I would respect.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
They have made their plans clear. Any of what moderates or adults they had last time are gone, the Stephen Millers are all in charge now.

They are clearing the RNC of any opposition right now and centralizing in FL. This is just a precursor for when they control the federal government and implement schedule F so they can hire and fire as they please. This created a skill and competence gap when they last implemented it. First thing is obviously replace everyone with loyalists and concentrate power and this is just the start.

This isn't even sky is falling stuff, they've done, they are doing it, they will do it again.

The lesson they learned from the first time was that they didn't go hard enough, they didn't go extreme enough, and they aren't making that mistake again.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 14, 2024

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I cannot emphasize hard enough that if Biden wants to die in harness I'm fine with it. That's what the line of succession is for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnyBJJI2eqs

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 14, 2024

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/13/boeing-737-door-ntsb-investigation

Boeing saw police depts losing footage and figured if it works there it can work for them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CainFortea posted:

It's wild to think that all it takes to get a good candidate is showing up and checking a box, and there's people actively arguing you shouldn't do that and should instead pick the 2nd worst choice.

No one here is arguing you vote for RFK Jr.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

OddObserver posted:

No one here is arguing you vote for RFK Jr.

From looking at the guest list of one of his LA fundraisers (Rob Schneider types & Rob Schneider), how his Super Bowl ad was paid for by a techie anti-vaxxer, & how Aaron Rodgers may be his VP pick he’s pretty much becoming the anti-vaccine candidate.

I’m no expert but really hoping that pulls more from the right than the left, the most ardent anti-vaxxers I see on FB are evangelical.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Q'Anon was obsessed with his cousins return so I'm thinking the right.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hopefully yeah plus, with Manchin not running looks like that No Labels nonsense is DOA.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

From looking at the guest list of one of his LA fundraisers (Rob Schneider types & Rob Schneider), how his Super Bowl ad was paid for by a techie anti-vaxxer, & how Aaron Rodgers may be his VP pick he’s pretty much becoming the anti-vaccine candidate.

I’m no expert but really hoping that pulls more from the right than the left, the most ardent anti-vaxxers I see on FB are evangelical.

Wasn't there polling data that alarmed the Trump folks that said RFK Jr as an independent, in fact, drew away from Trump instead of when he ran as a Dem against Biden?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I never believed Manchin would run in the first place. Dude's bag was always to play the "principled moderate" (blindly obstructive) Democrat. He'd be that rear end in a top hat who'd obstruct critical legislation, sure, but he never actually threatened to run as a spoiler or an independent if the party majority was on the line. Don't recall him ever stymieing any judicial appointments either.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Remember when he helped kill off the family tax credits that lifted millions from poverty during the pandemic & drove away in his Maserati? Still ridiculous that despite being who he is, he did regularly support Biden judicial nominees & sometimes would vote for critical bills so getting that level of usefulness from a WV senate seat that will be dark red when he retires is a bonus. Kinda like how the Democrat Louisiana governor was pretty conservative on some issues but vetoed the worst bills, and with him gone they’re bringing back the death penalty.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

To go into sports analogies, Manchin has a incredibly high left wing WAR (wins above replacement) despite still being a jerk, because his average replacement is that much worse.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

golden bubble posted:

To go into sports analogies, Manchin has a incredibly high left wing WAR (wins above replacement) despite still being a jerk, because his average replacement is that much worse.

Ok thats fair

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He’s the domestic, Democrat equivalent of all those foreign tyrants that America allies with because they occupy key positions on the geopolitical map.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

This is all stupid, for one thing I'm the type of person who says Good Morning as my first greeting of someone of the day until like 2 or 3 in the afternoon depending on how much coffee I've had. If someone ever says "Its afternoon!" I just respond, "Yes, and?"

I start work at 1:30pm, I stick with good morning until at least 3pm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t say “good afternoon” before 13:00 when DST is in effect. :twisted:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I use decimal time so I don't stop saying bonjour until at least Thermidor

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I start work at 1:30pm, I stick with good morning until at least 3pm.

When I worked graveyard shift I'd say good morning to everyone because it technically was morning for us.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

I use decimal time so I don't stop saying bonjour until at least Thermidor

Which part of the day does Thermidor fit into in the Time Cube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

orange juche posted:

Which part of the day does Thermidor fit into in the Time Cube?

The first face of the cube, duh.

e: there’s an archived version of the original that I’m looking at, it’s more :stare: than I remember.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 14, 2024